SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

Hear now and totally unpacked and settled in, we have a third floor room at the end of the hall facing the quite pool (but pretty much all we see is a tree and a little blue water), the locations not bad though just not my favorite. For some reason it's a lot louder at the quite pool than at the Mickey pool also seems busier at the quite pool (so, not necessarily quite). Anyway, we keep getting the same woman checking us in every year and she's not really helpful with room request or trying to help you change rooms so we decided we wouldn't mess with it. Though none of our requests were met when we checked in we did push for connecting rooms and got it so the rest will be perfectly fine.

The weather is nice right now not to warm, but the man who helped us with our bags said the rain is supposed to set in but the weekend so we will see. Even if it rains we will still do the parks and enjoy it.

Saw a sign for the aafes expansions "this fall" but absolutely no mention of the pool refurb.

So overall, so far so good! If you have any questions I can answer while I'm here I'll do my best.

Hi! We got back on the 24th! We had room on 3rd floor to but overlooking the Mickey Pool.. The pool was quiet all week and we loved the location and room. I didn't make any requests because I wasnt' sure if I wanted new or old rooms. I was in older room but loved it! I will try to do trip report but it will no way compare to Jusero's.. I am not that savvy at all. LOL

if only there was a bar. :rotfl:

We went to the evergreens bar. I loved it there. People were sweet and food wasn't bad at all. They had great popcorn. I thought an ideal spot for people with children. There is a pool table, arcade and huge screened TV at the back of the room so the kids can do what they want while the parents have "adult talk" and some libations. All in all thought a great place.
Actually much better than the makeshift bar they have in the lobby.

I think Everyone is in total agreement that Shades needs to add a decent food option/food court but I don't know how it would pay for itself. We walked into the food court at POFQ :joker: and it was dead except for breakfast. Disney can afford it because they make piles of money but I don't know if shades could??

Shades of Green had a decent food place before the renovation. It was called Evergreens. Then, they decided they needed a spa and Evergreens food went to merge with Manginos and they took away the best items such as the onion rings, etc. By removing the original menu from Evergreens, they got rid of the late night poolside food options. What a crazy financial move that was. I mean, that place was hopping with people back in the day into the late night hours. To be successful, a business needs to be near the customer and open when the customer wants it. Bad move by Shades. They had a good thing and got rid of it.

Shades of Green had a decent food place before the renovation. It was called Evergreens. Then, they decided they needed a spa and Evergreens food went to merge with Manginos and they took away the best items such as the onion rings, etc. By removing the original menu from Evergreens, they got rid of the late night poolside food options. What a crazy financial move that was. I mean, that place was hopping with people back in the day into the late night hours. To be successful, a business needs to be near the customer and open when the customer wants it. Bad move by Shades. They had a good thing and got rid of it.

We were at Evergreen's when it was decent (2005 & 2007) full menu, full bar, and the plastic glasses that we kept:). And they used to have the order window by the pool where you could order during the day. Last Dec. they left guests a phone message inviting them to Karaoke. Not that we participate, but we did walk down and the place was empty BUT the music was so loud we left. We are not opposed to loud music if the crowd is large and everyone is having fun but it was empty.
Popcorn is good though. What other food did they have that was good?

now that I'm back among the living....we finally got in the door at 2am.

Renting a car was so great this time. It's something we've never done. Mostly we did take shades buses which are totally fine, but we used the car to get to DTD and to Boardwalk, Blizzard Beach, and to other hotels. Those places are hard even for Disney hotel guests. The day we were at Blizzard the rain came in around 5, we were getting ready to leave anyway, but the downpour came on suddenly and the crowds of people leaving all at once was crazy. Waiting for the bus would have killed me.

My brother checked out the rooms at AKL and said they were no where near as big as SOG. Their son has ADHD and they were very thankful for the relaxing atmosphere of shades.

I just can't say enough about shades - and I see places where it seems they're trying to make improvements. Over behind manginos on the first floor out by the ponds they've got tables and chairs and umbrellas there. I think that's new. Out by evergreens they've removed the motorized truck pit and put in tables there too. That also seems new since last year. I know they're trying to update the pool and aafes, so maybe we'll start seeing better food. Express Cafe was open till 8 each day. I thought they always closed by 2 or 3. Their sandwiches were so great - whatever you want - they do. I felt like I had walked into my own kitchen and whipped up a fresh sandwich for the kids.

I feel like I'm jumping all over here...trying to think. Oh the shady shuttle was far more available than we had ever seen it before - we took it twice.

Oh we had all our room requests handled. I asked for 2nd floor, close to lobby, new building, connecting rooms. AND early check in. Got them all. They also let us stay till 12 for check out.

Non shades related; we did our first evening EMH at MK on sunday night. In the on and off rain. Park was open till 1am and since we were leaving monday and didn't have to get up early we figured we'd try. We ate at The Plaza. not impressed (shakes were good, food was meh.) We were eating at 8:30 and fireworks were 9, but couldn't see the fireworks as people stand on the wall right outside the windows. We got on every ride that night (though seems that splash mountain wasn't open). by about 11 :30 it was walk on everything. It was GREAT.

We also did the tomorrowland terrace desert party. Again, not impressed. I was so disappointed in the food selection for the money. It was nice having a place to sit, but the typical pushing and shoving of guests was there too. We had a front table but people were 3 deep in front of us. Fireworks are in the air. We could see sitting, so why push and shove? :confused3 Would never do that again.

Got a walk in at Chef Mickey's though. We had meant to eat at the Contempo food court and it was closed. So we asked at CM and got a table. Unexpected surprise.

Anyway, there's more I'm forgetting I'm sure. But it's not so great to be home. I hate that.

Buffetgirl: Welcome back! Glad you made it home safely.
I was at dessert party in Epcot a few years back. I totally agree. Not worth the price for what you get. But at least we can say we dit it!

This was my first trip to SOG and OH WOW!. Rooms are so nice and big in comparison to Disney rooms. Staff sweet and helpful the whole time we were there. I cannot say enough good things about them.

My kids loved that pools are open 24/7.. they certaintly used them.
One evening we met up with a cm who does the parades in disney and HS plus is entertainer at the Lion King show. He got VIP seats at the dreams parade in MK.:cheer2::cheer2: We got front row seats in Adventureland on the bridge.:dance3: There was no one around us. It was unbelievable. Every character high fived us and hugged us. My only regret is that I didn't have my granddaugher with us. But it was a great experience.

And I am little sad I am back.. Going to be awhile before I can return

minijeanie, glad you also had a great trip!

Your post reminded me about the pools. The large mickey pool was far far far too warm. I am going to send a note about that. It was like bathwater.

minijeanie, glad you also had a great trip!

Your post reminded me about the pools. The large mickey pool was far far far too warm. I am going to send a note about that. It was like bathwater.

yeah you are right.. It was probably about 90 degrees in that water. I never went in the smaller pool, was it really that much cooler?

now that I'm back among the living....we finally got in the door at 2am.

Renting a car was so great this time. It's something we've never done. Mostly we did take shades buses which are totally fine, but we used the car to get to DTD and to Boardwalk, Blizzard Beach, and to other hotels. Those places are hard even for Disney hotel guests. The day we were at Blizzard the rain came in around 5, we were getting ready to leave anyway, but the downpour came on suddenly and the crowds of people leaving all at once was crazy. Waiting for the bus would have killed me.

My brother checked out the rooms at AKL and said they were no where near as big as SOG. Their son has ADHD and they were very thankful for the relaxing atmosphere of shades.

I just can't say enough about shades - and I see places where it seems they're trying to make improvements. Over behind manginos on the first floor out by the ponds they've got tables and chairs and umbrellas there. I think that's new. Out by evergreens they've removed the motorized truck pit and put in tables there too. That also seems new since last year. I know they're trying to update the pool and aafes, so maybe we'll start seeing better food. Express Cafe was open till 8 each day. I thought they always closed by 2 or 3. Their sandwiches were so great - whatever you want - they do. I felt like I had walked into my own kitchen and whipped up a fresh sandwich for the kids.

I feel like I'm jumping all over here...trying to think. Oh the shady shuttle was far more available than we had ever seen it before - we took it twice.

Oh we had all our room requests handled. I asked for 2nd floor, close to lobby, new building, connecting rooms. AND early check in. Got them all. They also let us stay till 12 for check out.

Non shades related; we did our first evening EMH at MK on sunday night. In the on and off rain. Park was open till 1am and since we were leaving monday and didn't have to get up early we figured we'd try. We ate at The Plaza. not impressed (shakes were good, food was meh.) We were eating at 8:30 and fireworks were 9, but couldn't see the fireworks as people stand on the wall right outside the windows. We got on every ride that night (though seems that splash mountain wasn't open). by about 11 :30 it was walk on everything. It was GREAT.

We also did the tomorrowland terrace desert party. Again, not impressed. I was so disappointed in the food selection for the money. It was nice having a place to sit, but the typical pushing and shoving of guests was there too. We had a front table but people were 3 deep in front of us. Fireworks are in the air. We could see sitting, so why push and shove? :confused3 Would never do that again.

Got a walk in at Chef Mickey's though. We had meant to eat at the Contempo food court and it was closed. So we asked at CM and got a table. Unexpected surprise.

Anyway, there's more I'm forgetting I'm sure. But it's not so great to be home. I hate that.

I had to reply because I find the part about the Plaza most interesting. We had dinner reservations there on Tuesday night and we LOVED it. Maybe it was the chef that was cooking the night you were there, IDK. I did on the other hand, have to see our Chef bc I have an allergy listing attached to my reservation. She did a great job, even sending over to the bakery to get me a croissant for my sandwich since the breads they use at the plaza include allergens I cant be in contact with. So maybe that was the difference. :confused3 I'm used to blah PA food and the typical Disney food, so we thought it was a good change. I will post pics of our food as soon as my DBF gets them to me.

Another thing I noticed was that SOG seemed UBER clean this time. We have never had problem with cleanliness there, but this time it just seemed even more so! :cool2:

I had to reply because I find the part about the Plaza most interesting. We had dinner reservations there on Tuesday night and we LOVED it. Maybe it was the chef that was cooking the night you were there, IDK. I did on the other hand, have to see our Chef bc I have an allergy listing attached to my reservation. She did a great job, even sending over to the bakery to get me a croissant for my sandwich since the breads they use at the plaza include allergens I cant be in contact with. So maybe that was the difference. :confused3 I'm used to blah PA food and the typical Disney food, so we thought it was a good change. I will post pics of our food as soon as my DBF gets them to me.

Another thing I noticed was that SOG seemed UBER clean this time. We have never had problem with cleanliness there, but this time it just seemed even more so! :cool2:

yeah, the cleanliness was really amazing.

The plaza ; my dh had a club and he just said that if he had never eaten another club prior, he would have been impressed. Otherwise it wasn't anything special. I had the steak sandwich. someone got a turkey, and there were a few others. I can't remember now. No one thought it was anything special. My both my husband and sil thought their bread was stale.

We had the pleasure at staying at Shades of Green at the beginning of Aug. The entire resort is BEAUTIFUL and we truly enjoyed our stay.

I wanted to add a picture review of the Palm Suite in case anyone is looking for more information on this room.

The Palm Suite has three bedrooms, a kitchenette, a dining room, a living room area and two bathrooms that are NOT in any of the bedrooms.

Kitchen Area: Has a sink, microwave, FULL SIZE refrigerator/freezer and is stocked with dishes (breakable type), glasses and mugs, silverware, can opener, and a few serving spoons. There is also a 12 cup coffee maker (uses CONE filters or the pods they provide there). Housekeeping WILL wash dishes for you if you ask them to, otherwise there is NO dishwasher. We used paper plates mostly to avoid making more work for us or our housekeepers! There are also two counter stools at the island.

picture005.jpg

The Dining area seats 6. The chairs have fabric bottoms. We used extra room towels to cover over the cloth so the kids didn't spill and mess up the chairs. Two full length mirrors on the wall if you need them. You can see the doors on the left and right that lead to each bathroom and also two bedrooms.

picture006.jpg

Computer station: this is next to the island in the kitchen. Computer set up for accessing the internet. The door to the right is the kids/bunk room. To the left of the computer station is the main room door.

picture013.jpg

I realized that I didn't get a picture of the living room area. There is a fireplace (that works!) with a large flat screen tv over it. There were two three seater couches on each wall and an additional two recliners. Also a coffee table and end tables.

The bathrooms were located on each side of the dining area and NOT tucked into either bedroom.

Bathroom #1 (on left) has two sinks and a ADA accessible tub with duel shower heads.

picture011.jpg

picture012.jpg

Bathroom #2 (on right) has ONE sink and an ADA accessible SHOWER.

picture009.jpg

picture010.jpg

There are two bedrooms that are identical. They are each REALLY SPACIOUS! Each has a large dresser with a mirror, flatscreen tv mounted on the wall, TWO queen sized beds, a loveseat that pulls out into an extra twin bed, an easy chair and a sliding door leading out to a patio. There is also a closet (with safe)

picture007.jpg

picture008.jpg

Then there is the "Bunk" room or kid's room.
the wall is painted with a space mural. there are two bunk beds. with little STEPS that lead up to the top (NOT ladders). The sides of the steps/bunks are drawers that pull out for dresser space. Each bed has a little overhead tv/dvd player AND "night lights" with their own switch. there are two rocking "gaming chairs" and four lockers.

picture014.jpg

picture015.jpg

picture016.jpg

Okay, I hope this will help someone in the future.

Sunshine

Thank so much for the beautiful pictures! WOW How much did it cost you for the night and how many were in your party? I priced the jr suite but was cheaper for me to get two rooms..
But this looks absolutely beautiful

We are getting an order from GG and I'm trying to decide if we should order beer from them or just get it from the shopette at the hotel. I can't remember what kind of selection they had or how the prices were. Any input?

We are getting an order from GG and I'm trying to decide if we should order beer from them or just get it from the shopette at the hotel. I can't remember what kind of selection they had or how the prices were. Any input?

pretty good selection of beer, and prices weren't earth shattering. They had the regular run of the mill things like mller, bud, coors, then some blue moon and a few others.

We will be at SOG in 19 days. :yay::yay: I have a couple of questions:

How is the wine selection and the prices at the store? Do they carry any rum or burbon? I looked at the pictures on the previous thread and didn't see either. :goodvibes

Where do I find a bus schedule? We plan on trying out the SOG buses for DTD and maybe even MK. We can always go on over to the Poly and jump on the monorail, however I want a back up plan since the monorail sometimes is down.

Angel16

How is the wine selection and the prices at the store? Do they carry any rum or burbon? I looked at the pictures on the previous thread and didn't see either. :goodvibes

Where do I find a bus schedule? We plan on trying out the SOG buses for DTD and maybe even MK. We can always go on over to the Poly and jump on the monorail, however I want a back up plan since the monorail sometimes is down.

Angel16

Taken from the first post in this thread :)

I find the bus to TTC to get to MK or Epcot so easy to catch. The first bus for AK and HS in the morning gets you close to rope drop - usually gets you to the park about 10 min before opening. Coming back from HS or AK we either take the shades bus, if the timing is right, or we take a TTC bus, or we take a poly bus. Whichever we see first. :)

BUS SCHEDULE.

Animal Kingdom/Blizzard Beach–once per hour
Leaves Shades of Green on the half hour. Starts a half hour before park opening. (Usually at 0830)
On Extra Magic Hour days, Leaves Shades of Green starting at 0730
Leaves Animal Kingdom at 10 minutes before the hour (Space #7 in charter bus area)
Leaves BB on the hour (Space #1 in bus area, from 1000)

Hollywood Studios-once per hour
Leaves Shades of Green on the half hour (Starts a half hour before park opening)
Leaves DHS on the hour (Space C6)

Typhoon Lagoon/Downtown Disney-once per hour
Leaves Shades of Green on the half hour (starting at 0830)
Leaves TL at 10 till the hour (Space #9 from 0950)
Leaves DD on the hour (at the top of lot E by the red building)
Last bus leaves DTD at midnight

Ticket and Transportation Center-every 20 minutes
To reach both Magic Kingdom and Epcot via monorail
First bus leaves Shades of Green a half hour before park opening
Bus leaves TTC starting at 0840 (space #3)

Angel16

The wine selection is decent (Reds and whites.) Not great but decent if you are not too picky.. If you want a large bottle then bring your wine opener.. They have small twist off bottles too.. (Single serving size) They do have alcohol behind the cash register.. (Jack Daniels, Grey Goose and other name brands.) (I think they had about 15 to choose from.) Plus they have small twist off bottles right at the register of certain liquors. I wish we had time to sit back and have a drink but I run my troops like we are on a death march.. (So say's my husband.) :lmao:
The pictures of wine are on the snack picture in the previous thread. It won't show you the brands but it shows that they are at the end of the shelves.

I'm more than half way through my trip!! :( I have been solo this whole time (and I have to say I've been LOVING it!!), and my dh will be joining me tonight to spend the last two days together!! He was suppose to be here yesterday, but Isaac messed things up for us. He's at Keelser AFB in MS and he has been delayed due to the storm. Hoping for clear roads so he can get here this evening and spend the holiday weekend with me!! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter