~~ Sew your Disney side Alli-son-son!! ~~ Allison's grad trip Jan 2016 ~~ Complete 2/22

LOVED your Universal Trip Reports! We have all done the queue for the Forbidden Journey, which agreed is very cool. It's just that 2 of the kids had to wait in another room while the rest of us did the ride.

Reading about your sickness on some of those rides...I TOTALLY feel you there. I can BARELY tolerate Star Tours at WDW most of the time, but I usually make it through. I do recall when we did do Universal last time, one of the kids' favorite rides (because they could all ride it) was the Simpsons Ride and yeah...I think we did it multiple times and I barely tolerated it after the first one. I will say that when it used to be Back to the Future, it was a VERY rough ride so I do enjoy the Simpsons version of it better. Reading about some of the other rides (because Transformers wasn't open when we were last there) I can tell I'm going to have a rough time again. I did do okay on Spiderman though. It really just depends but more often then not I end up having to rush to find a coke to settle my stomach and just sitting out for a while myself.

I booked Royal Pacific Resort for us yesterday, found a great discount code online and since we plan to only focus on the Universal Parks for the most part, we really decided Front of the Line Access was key even if it meant spending a little more on the hotel room. Looking forward to our trip but we've still got about 4 months to go for that one!

How great to have a tourguide like Santos...that's so awesome!

Looks like you had a good time at Universal Studios. After reading your report from the park I'm sure I'm it will never be worth the money for me to go there because I hate roller coasters.

Actually many of the rides at Universal parks are NOT coasters, they have a lot of simulator type rides and other such rides that certainly make you FEEL like you are on a coaster...when you are mostly in a nice safe car that isn't even moving much at all. The 3D stuff just makes it seem that way!

It looked like an AWESOME time at HP. So glad it all worked out and that Santos was able to join you as well.
Sorry you got motion sick. I totally understand how that goes.

Actually many of the rides at Universal parks are NOT coasters, they have a lot of simulator type rides and other such rides that certainly make you FEEL like you are on a coaster...when you are mostly in a nice safe car that isn't even moving much at all. The 3D stuff just makes it seem that way!

Sounds like I maybe should check out Universal Studios some day after all :)

Love your pictures and review! I too can't handle Star Tours without feeling ill. So, good information to have, lol!

To say I was terrified of this ride was an absolute understatement. From what I'd read online and seen on Youtube - between this ride and Escape from Gringotts - this was the ride that would do me in. I don't like dark rides at all - and I HATE going upside down... But I was determined to go out of my comfort zone and experience these worlds as much as possible.

In the end - we wound up riding it twice in a row... About 1 minute into the ride - our ride vehicle stopped and the whole ride stopped - so we were able to walk off and ask for a reride - which we got right back on. This ride wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be - it does tip you back quite far, but during that portion of the ride (It happens 3x) - you are more on your back than you are upside down. The issue I had, was my motion sickness... I could feel it coming on after the first ride - but I decided to fight it and go for a second ride - because I really wanted to experience the whole thing in it's entirety with out the glitch. It's a phenomenal ride and if you can handle the motion sickness part - even once, I highly recommend it! :woohoo:
Wow, the ride sounds awesome - glad you enjoyed it! D you are really making me want to go to Universal!:rotfl:
Where we captured the most EPIC photo of all!!!!! It was so epic that I splurged and purchased it!

1601398_65492025.jpg
Great, Great, Great photo.
I love all the pictures of Allison doing the spells with her wand, she's so cute! It looks like so much fun!:goodvibes

Your day at Universal seemed great! ANd how wonderful that your friend Santos was able to experience it with you as well! He seems like a great friend and a really fun guy.::yes::
You must be excited to go back with V now!

We did a one day whirlwind at US/IOA in July, and I TOTALLY feel you on the motion sickness thing! I don't usually get sick from rides, but after Forbidden Journey, I was woozy for the rest of the day. The Simpson's Ride nearly killed me, lol!!

Oooh boy - Now I was really starting to get sick... Universal has A LOT of motion rides - and I was really feeling it. I told Santos that we need to ride things that are a little more tame for a while.

I feel ya, sista. I got this way when we went as well. I was fine on Spiderman, started to feel it a little on Transformers. By the time we got on The Simpsons, I had to close my eyes almost immediately. After that, I was D-U-N with the motion rides for the rest of the day.

Where we captured the most EPIC photo of all!!!!! It was so epic that I splurged and purchased it!

giphy (6).gif

Ummm, excuse me, ma'am? You left US without trying pumpkin juice?

giphy (5).gif

I'm so disappointed.

I did not like the Simpson's ride either, but the Mummy wasn't too bad. Loved Forbidden Journey, but we didn't get a chance to ride Escape from Gringotts. Maybe next time, however, there really aren't many rides that call me at Universal, so it will be a while before we head back.

I'm glad you had a great day at Universal. It was so nice of Santos to take you guys to the park and show you around. I like the Universal side better than Islands of Adventure. Diagon Alley is like stepping to a Harry Potter book but I thought there was a bathroom in there and Murtal was haunting it. Maybe I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.
Liz

When we exited the ride - the park was closed and it was time to leave... I took a few pictures as we were walking out enjoying all of the lights and the atmosphere as much as I could.
Your day at Universal looks like a lot of fun. Did the rain and cold keep the crowds away? The park looks gorgeous at night. :) Allison's wand is very cool. That is the kind of thing that I would have fun with.

Last edited:
Awesome! I still need to make it over to Universal one day. So I was amused to see a WDW poncho in one of your pictures (on a random person in the background). And tell Santos he needs a new sweatshirt...Roll Tide will just not do...tell him he needs a GEAUX TIGERS shirt...especially since he works sometimes at POFQ...just saying!

Lynn

There was quite the mix of WDW & Universal ponchos... We were wearing our WDW ponchos - however - one of ours is now ripped and needs to be replaced.

Hahahaha... Santos is pretty attached to his sweatshirts - he was happy that both of his teams were represented that day. :scratchin

Yay! So happy with all the quality HP time, especially since it allowed you to recover. (Sorry about your motion sickness!)

I would have picked the same flavors as you at Florean Fortescue's. A. Earl Grey ice cream is one of my favorite flavors (there is a shop here in Seattle that makes it), but Lavender/Earl Grey sounds amazing! B. Clotted Cream is something I miss from England, so I would definitely try that as well! It cracks me up when servers automatically tell you they will swap out a flavor if you decide you don't like it. It tells me that it happens...often! I once ordered a Nutella, brie and basil panini that was on the menu at a local coffee shop. The barista who brought it to me told me I could swap it out if I didn't like it and even waited for me to take a bite. I enjoyed it, but apparently was one of a rare few who did.

Santos seems like an incredible person and I am glad you two got to hang out with him!

It was awesome! Thankfully the motion sickness went away after a while. Santos felt pretty badly -- for no reason - because he didn't realize how sick I got on these types of rides. However - I think I can tolerate them much better than most people who get it?

Yes - those ice cream flavors were amazing! Even after our sucky Kitchen Sink - I had no problem eating those flavors. Even now - the thought of ice cream is enough to make me ewwww.... but I could go for the Lavendar/Earl Grey and the Clotted Cream any time - they were delicious and so different.

Hehehe... I find that I enjoy a lot of foods that most others don't enjoy either. :scratchin

Santos is awesome! We are so lucky to have him as a friend!

As soon as you said you were feeling motion sickness then went to Simpsons, I knew you were a goner. We rode Simpsons 2 times in a row. First time, I was okish. Second time was miserable. Your trip looks like it was so much fun. Can't wait to see what you and V do while there.

The water fountain spell was funny. What made it funnier was that you had a picture.

Hahahaha... Sadly - I had NO Idea what any of these rides entailed... I only researched the HP section. So, I was clueless to my demise. LOL

I know - that just cracked me up. I don't think Allison thought it was very funny, as she was pretty annoyed.

Looks like you had a good time at Universal Studios. After reading your report from the park I'm sure I'm it will never be worth the money for me to go there because I hate roller coasters.

It was a lot of fun - there are several coasters, but all of the rides I went on (except for Gringotts - which is a very small coaster type ride) were all simulation rides.

LOVED your Universal Trip Reports! We have all done the queue for the Forbidden Journey, which agreed is very cool. It's just that 2 of the kids had to wait in another room while the rest of us did the ride.

Reading about your sickness on some of those rides...I TOTALLY feel you there. I can BARELY tolerate Star Tours at WDW most of the time, but I usually make it through. I do recall when we did do Universal last time, one of the kids' favorite rides (because they could all ride it) was the Simpsons Ride and yeah...I think we did it multiple times and I barely tolerated it after the first one. I will say that when it used to be Back to the Future, it was a VERY rough ride so I do enjoy the Simpsons version of it better. Reading about some of the other rides (because Transformers wasn't open when we were last there) I can tell I'm going to have a rough time again. I did do okay on Spiderman though. It really just depends but more often then not I end up having to rush to find a coke to settle my stomach and just sitting out for a while myself.

I booked Royal Pacific Resort for us yesterday, found a great discount code online and since we plan to only focus on the Universal Parks for the most part, we really decided Front of the Line Access was key even if it meant spending a little more on the hotel room. Looking forward to our trip but we've still got about 4 months to go for that one!

How great to have a tourguide like Santos...that's so awesome!

I do fine on ST - but Simpsons sure did me in! I would have loved to have ridden Back to the Future - much more than the Simpsons, I think? :scraatchin I bet it was awesome!

Awesome that you were able to get a discount on a US resort! :woohoo:

Santos really made our day! It was awesome having him with us!

Yes - I agree - Almost everything was a simulator ride. Had I known - I am not sure I would have ridden any of them. LOL Oh well - it was fun!

It looked like an AWESOME time at HP. So glad it all worked out and that Santos was able to join you as well.
Sorry you got motion sick. I totally understand how that goes.

It was so awesome! And it was great having Santos with us - he really helped navigate the park for us... Leading us everywhere like a mini Brazillian tour group. LOL

Sounds like I maybe should check out Universal Studios some day after all :)

I think you might be OK - at least on the HP rides. Escape from Gringotts is a "coaster" but it's one fairly small steep drop (think kiddie coaster, but steeper) - but it's a very small coaster, with frequent stops to look at movie screens, so you never really get going too fast.

Love your pictures and review! I too can't handle Star Tours without feeling ill. So, good information to have, lol!

Thanks! It was so much fun! Yah - if you can do even one ride - I would reserve that one ride for The Forbidden Journey. ::yes:: It is intense, but I am glad I rode it - it's cool.

Wow, the ride sounds awesome - glad you enjoyed it! D you are really making me want to go to Universal!

Great, Great, Great photo.
I love all the pictures of Allison doing the spells with her wand, she's so cute! It looks like so much fun!

Your day at Universal seemed great! ANd how wonderful that your friend Santos was able to experience it with you as well! He seems like a great friend and a really fun guy.
You must be excited to go back with V now!

I definitely recommend the HP area to everyone - it was beyond cool!

Hehehe - she had so much fun, lining up with all the little kids and their wands. There were a few older kids/adults with wands, but not many.

We had so much fun - and it was awesome to have Santos as a tour guide.

I am very excited to go back with V. I can't wait actually! She will love it!

We did a one day whirlwind at US/IOA in July, and I TOTALLY feel you on the motion sickness thing! I don't usually get sick from rides, but after Forbidden Journey, I was woozy for the rest of the day. The Simpson's Ride nearly killed me, lol!!

It was crazy - but I am so glad I braved it. I think I could easily to 2 rides in the morning and 2 rides in the evening - as long as I didn't ride any others in between.

Yah - I did not like the Simpsons or the Transformers ride at all. It was way too much!

I feel ya, sista. I got this way when we went as well. I was fine on Spiderman, started to feel it a little on Transformers. By the time we got on The Simpsons, I had to close my eyes almost immediately. After that, I was D-U-N with the motion rides for the rest of the day.

View attachment 150964

Ummm, excuse me, ma'am? You left US without trying pumpkin juice?

View attachment 150963

I'm so disappointed.

Yah - it was awful! But we had fun anyways.

I KNOW!!!!! I was so upset when I remembered! It is on my must do list for next time!

I'm glad you had a great day at Universal. It was so nice of Santos to take you guys to the park and show you around. I like the Universal side better than Islands of Adventure. Diagon Alley is like stepping to a Harry Potter book but I thought there was a bathroom in there and Murtal was haunting it. Maybe I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.
Liz

Diagon Alley was amazing - I loved that side of HP better too. Moaning Mertal is on the Hogsmeade side. :thumbsup2 We did get to hear her when we used the restroom on that side.

Your day at Universal looks like a lot of fun. Did the rain and cold keep the crowds away? The park looks gorgeous at night. :) Allison's wand is very cool. That is the kind of thing that I would have fun with.

We did have a lot of fun!

It was pretty crowded, but not too bad - I am not sure if it was the rain/cold or if it was just the time of year. WDW wasn't too bad either.

The park was very pretty at night - I love all parks at night - those lights, it's just so pretty.

Her wand was awesome! I am glad she saved her $$ for that - even though she may never use it again - it's a fun keep sake to have. :lovestruc

***************************************************************************************************

OK everyone! My updates will be few and far between as Josh's brother will be here with his family from Europe for the next 2 weeks... So, all bets are off for anything in my spare time, except for them. They are not staying with us - but we want to spend as much time with them as we possibly can - as I am sure you understand. :lovestruc

I will stop in and do updates when time allows and I will also do replies as I can. :hug:

D~

What a fun day! Kudos to you for going on more rides even after you weren't feeling well -- I get terrible motion sickness (I take Dramamine every day when we're at Disney) and I've gotten to the point where I have to avoid some rides -- Space Mountain really does me in!

I am definitely making sure we go to Universal to do the Harry Potter stuff on an upcoming trip!

I am loving your report, so glad I found it. I have two girls too, and recently told them both that we do a mom/daughter trip when they graduate high school. We've still got quite a few years, but it's still something fun to look forward to! Where do you get all your cute leggings? Also, do you have an etsy shop?

Oy~ I can see now that three of the five of us will need to take motion sickness meds that day! So many opportunities for motion sickness! BUT, so much fun!!! We have some motion sickness pills still left from our cruise...must take them!

Reading this has gotten me so much more excited for our Unviersal day. Before this, I had had no desire to go...but now, So EXCITED!

We weren't planning on doing Universal during our upcoming trip, but your pictures/report have convinced me otherwise! We'll now be spending a day park-hopping at US/Islands of Adventure :cool1: The Harry Potter nerd in me is :hyper:

Your HP experience looks like alot of fun! I never really considered going there, but now you got me thinking about it.

I am so glad you had a good time at Universal. We usually try to go there - at least for one day - whenever we are in Florida. We didn't do it this time though because DD is too short for many of the rides and i don't think she would have like it very much. Can't wait until she is big enough though!

Have a great time these next 2 weeks. I am sure you will all enjoy your time together!

Great trip report. Really enjoyed it and learning about Shades of Green. I've heard about it but never really saw any pics so thanks....

Glad you had a great time at Universal. HP is amazing and the detail is beyond crazy. (FYI. There are bathrooms in Diagon... They are across from the ice cream shop under the black umbrella.. For your future reference).

Can't wait to read the rest!

What a fun day! Kudos to you for going on more rides even after you weren't feeling well -- I get terrible motion sickness (I take Dramamine every day when we're at Disney) and I've gotten to the point where I have to avoid some rides -- Space Mountain really does me in!

I am definitely making sure we go to Universal to do the Harry Potter stuff on an upcoming trip!

I really didn't want to go on more rides due to how I was feeling - but I knew I wanted to experience as much as I could. I should have had some Dramamine with me - but I try not to take any meds ever - except the occasional Tylenol/Ibuprofen/Tums... However - I should add Dramamine to my list - at least in these situations. :thumbsup2

I think you need to - it's a definite added expense... Tickets alone for two of us were $300 - for one day. Plus food... It was easily a $500 day for us. Would I do it every trip? Probably not... But I do have to say - Disney is starting to get a little boring *gasp*... We can easily go into MK, ride a few favorites and be done in a few hours... We no longer have that "see all - do all" mentality... So, it was a LOT of fun to go explore and enjoy another park.

I am loving your report, so glad I found it. I have two girls too, and recently told them both that we do a mom/daughter trip when they graduate high school. We've still got quite a few years, but it's still something fun to look forward to! Where do you get all your cute leggings? Also, do you have an etsy shop?

Welcome! Thank you! I am glad you are enjoying it! :lovestruc

Hehehehe... You will have a blast - when the time comes. I love all of our Disney trips for various reasons - but having this one on one time with Allison was incredibly special - and it was so EASY... Allison and I typically don't argue and like many of the same things - so it was just awesome to go with the flow. You will have a blast with your girls when they are at this age! :lovestruc

Thanks! I made my own leggings for this trip, because I couldn't find anything retail that worked for what I wanted... I really had to push myself out of my comfort zone, as I don't normally work with knit - but it was a lot of fun and really opened a lot more outfit options for me. :thumbsup2 I am sorry, I do not have an Etsy shop. I am not allowed to discuss my business at all on The Dis or I risk permanent banning - I hope you understand. :)

Again - Welcome - I am glad you are enjoying my TR! I hope you'll stick around to read about our last day and travels home. :)

Oy~ I can see now that three of the five of us will need to take motion sickness meds that day! So many opportunities for motion sickness! BUT, so much fun!!! We have some motion sickness pills still left from our cruise...must take them!

Reading this has gotten me so much more excited for our Unviersal day. Before this, I had had no desire to go...but now, So EXCITED!

Yes - yes you will, my friend. I highly recommend doing all of the HP stuff first - then venturing out into either park... Then going back in to the HP area to finish off your day... Everything was walk-on in that area near closing time, so we were able to get a few more rides in pretty easily.

I highly recommend taking a few minutes to search Universal Harry Potter on Pinterest before you go... It gave me a good idea as to what to expect and where I wanted to be... We didn't know for sure that Santos would be able to go with us until the day before - so I didn't want to be too clueless when we got there. There was a good amount of information on Pinterest, kind of all in one place - so I was able to be fairly knowledgeable in a few hours. :thumbsup2

We weren't planning on doing Universal during our upcoming trip, but your pictures/report have convinced me otherwise! We'll now be spending a day park-hopping at US/Islands of Adventure The Harry Potter nerd in me is

Yay!!! :woohoo: So excited for you! It will be a lot of fun! It was definitely a highlight of our trip! And make sure to get an interactive wand - if it's something you can afford/are interested in... It's certainly something a person could share that day - not something that each individual person needs to get (IMO) - they are expensive $50+, but Allison had a lot of fun with her's, and was happy to hand it off to Santos and I to try when we wanted to. It's certainly a "hunk of wood" once you leave, but it was a lot of fun - and if she ever goes back, she can always bring it with her. :thumbsup2

Your HP experience looks like alot of fun! I never really considered going there, but now you got me thinking about it.

Hahaha.... I am hearing that a lot this morning. :scratchin It was a lot of fun - I am so glad we were able to go. I am very much looking forward to going with Victoria in October too... And now that I know what to expect - I won't be so scared to ride some of the rides. :thumbsup2

I am so glad you had a good time at Universal. We usually try to go there - at least for one day - whenever we are in Florida. We didn't do it this time though because DD is too short for many of the rides and i don't think she would have like it very much. Can't wait until she is big enough though!

Have a great time these next 2 weeks. I am sure you will all enjoy your time together!

We did!!! It was so much fun! I totally understand - US is not a great park for little ones, IMO... But once she is big enough - I'd definitely go, especially to experience the HP area... Which I do hope they can expand somehow. :scratchin

Thank you - Josh met them at the airport yesterday - so he has already met his new niece and dolled out a few noisy/annoying toys for Thomas... :lovestruc The girls and I get our turn today - we are so excited! :lovestruc

Great trip report. Really enjoyed it and learning about Shades of Green. I've heard about it but never really saw any pics so thanks....

Glad you had a great time at Universal. HP is amazing and the detail is beyond crazy. (FYI. There are bathrooms in Diagon... They are across from the ice cream shop under the black umbrella.. For your future reference).

Can't wait to read the rest!

I am glad to hear - there aren't many TRs out there where people stay at SoG - so I was very excited to finally be able to share a recent opinion... I'll have more pictures and things to share at the end of my TR - so stay tuned. :thumbsup2

We had so much fun at US and in the HP area - I am really looking forward to doing it again in October with V! :woohoo:

Oooh - good to know... I saw that there were no bathrooms in that area when I was researching... So, I didn't even bother to ask a CM while we were in there - I just assumed what I'd researched was right. Thanks so much! That will be immensely helpful next time. LOL

Welcome - I am so happy to have you here and following along! :lovestruc

Well, I didn't expect to be up this early this morning - so I may/may not get another update done today? :scratchin

I need to go do replies in my PTR first... Then I will see how much time I have left... I have two VERY IMPORTANT little people to see this morning! :lovestruc

D~

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter