Severe Wind Breaks Wonder's Mooring Lines at PC!

Wow!!! what awesome photos you captured Kevin....really shows how instantly a "normal" activity liking walking over the gangway can possibly turn into a tragedy.

Very thankful no one was hurt. It's funny as yesterday morning while watching the news (here in New York) they showed a map of all of Florida and said that they were expecteing severe weather all day with possible tornados. I thought about the Wonder possibly being impacted and now see that it was!!!

break2.jpg

I see you!

Great news that no one got hurt. :thumbsup2

My big brother got hurt by a line when he was working on a ship. And he got hurt pretty bad.

I loved that shot...just goes to show how quickly they can react. Poor Capt. John..now everyone has seen him barefooted at the controls. Henceforth known as 'the barefooted captain'!!!
Have to tell you...I'll be thinking about those shots as I walk across that walkway in a week.

If the walkway was damaged when it fell, you may not be walking across 'that walkway' in a week...

:scared1: Excellent point. Hopefully, there will be a nice, safe one in place for us....as well as though hopping off before us.

SOOO glad no one was hurt!

BTW-
Gotta love Capt. John!!!!! LOL
"Ladies and Gentlemen...Boys and Girls..."
:rotfl:

I don't think the OP mentioned the time this happened. Was the ship baording already? If that was the case, it is amazing that nobody was on the gangplank when it happened.

I don't think the OP mentioned the time this happened. Was the ship baording already? If that was the case, it is amazing that nobody was on the gangplank when it happened.

He said afternoon so possibly it was late afternoon and most of the passengers had already boarded....but not all as he also says that the ship was moved to another location to board the rest of the passengers.

Believe it was just after 3:30. They still had a few crew to get on and we had about 10 of our guys still on. With all the stuff that had collapsed there was no way they could get close enough to the dock

Thanks. That explains why there were no injuries (thank goodness). By 3:30 most people would be onboard. COuld you imagine what would happen if it was like two hours earlier? :eek:

I would have to guess that as soon as the first mooring line snapped, they stopped anyone from going onto the gangway, or any forklifts from using the cargo ramp, just in case the ship started to move (which it obviously did). I'm sure it had to be pretty frightening for those CMs who were standing near the entryway, to greet boarding passengers, as they watched the gangway fall away.

Actually it happened so fast they wouldn't have had time. One of our employees had just stepped off the lower gangway as it fell against the side of the ship. One of our forklifts had to stay on the ship as well. He had just rolled off the end of the ramp inside the ship to drop a stack of cages when the ramp disappeared. Definitely a miracle no one was hurt

Amazing! Thanks for the eyewitness info Bob. Have things been put back for the Wonder tomorrow morning or will she be docked elsewhere?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter