Seriously? now I have to think about Soda refills?

Basically - don't blame Disney for having to tighten the restrictions. Blame those who constantly strive to find the loopholes or violate the rules altogether... they're the ones who make stuff like RFID mugs necessary.

:thumbsup2

Most "bad" company policies are in response to abuse or theft, it's not like the Disney execs got together one day, asked what would upset their guests, put their pinky fingers in corner of the mouth, and laughed maniacally. They are responding to a problem.

Um, no. What I am annoyed about is 1) the very high cost of the mugs ($18). This is quite a steep increases considering the new mugs are in place to reduce expense/los and 2) having to deal with waiting to do a 1/2 reg/ 1/2 diet mug full. Then standing there another 3 minutes if I take a few gulps and want to top it back off. It is petty for the amount of $ a soda costs Disney.

I'll add that it is also ridiculous to me that a company like Disney isn't more environmentally focused. Let me bring my mug back, reduce the amount of plastic thrown into the world and offer me a discount when I return next year with my mug.

So then, let's propose to Disney that when I bring my RFID enabled mug back to Disney on my trip next time, Disney will reactivate my RFID chip so I can re-use my mug. Then Disney gets what they want - Restricted access to prevent theft and you get what you want - reusable mugs!

You know what I think is absurd? That people condone stealing. It doesn't matter if it's a cup of soda, a character hoodie, a lollipop. It's still stealing and it's wrong.

Have to agree - this whole thing sounds like all Disney is interested in is "wringing the last few coppers from the wretches" - All those people "stealing" soda with old mugs are also guests paying the enormously inflated rates for food that come with being a guest at Disney.

What does that have to do with anything? Stealing is stealing, no matter what the item cost that company to produce. Would you think it ok to take a pair of Levis from JCP because they cost them next to nothing, yet they charge $40 for them?

Being a resort guest does not give anyone the right to just start taking stuff they didn't pay for. If you don't want to pay for a mug, then don't pay for it. They are optional.

It always surprises me how many people think Disney should turn a blind eye to any sort of theft. I know if I owned my own business I wouldn't. It is almost disgusting that people blame Disney instead of the people who were stealing from them. Actually, it is disgusting. :sad2:

If you want to be mad, be mad at the people who were stealing.

So then, let's propose to Disney that when I bring my RFID enabled mug back to Disney on my trip next time, Disney will reactivate my RFID chip so I can re-use my mug. Then Disney gets what they want - Restricted access to prevent theft and you get what you want - reusable mugs!

I am HOPING this is the eventual goal of all this. But, who really knows?

I just know that I have way too many mugs and am glad DD likes to use them in the tub/pool as toys.

My upcoming trip in December will be the first time I've ever gotten a refillable mug (FD). Though I've heard they're even chipping the paper cups.

The thing I find irritating about the chip is, what happens when the syrup runs out or isn't hooked up right, and all you get is carbonated water? This happened to me on my last trip at the ASMu food court, and I just poured it out, picked a different flavor, and let a CM know before I headed back to our room. Now I guess I'd need to wait around until my 3 minutes were up before I could get a new soda.

I think it's totally ridiculous that the people here who think the mug technology is awesome are accusing the rest of us of being mad just because we can't steal anymore. Not one person on this thread has said, "I am so mad about the new mug technology because now I can no longer buy one mug and get drinks for my whole family!!!"

No doubt it happens, but I seriously doubt if anyone who is posting on this thread is a drink-stealer.

I agree with someone higher up on the thread -- it IS always the same around here. The same holier-than-thou's deciding what the rest of us can and can't be irritated by!

If you don't want to deal with the new mug restrictions then don't buy one. I think its a bit restrictive but I COMPLETELY understand the reasoning behind it and I will choose to deal with it. I'm hoping as time goes on Disney will tweak the program accordingly, so that it is easier for mug users but still serves its purpose.
If you want FREE soda, go on a Disney cruise.

I buy a new refillable mug every trip. It is one small fragment of joy in my two hour commute to work. I use them year round.
I don't drink pop at home, at the resort I fill my mug with one coffee in the morning and a cold drink at night, if I feel like walking back from the room.
How much pop can one person drink that you need to refill your mug that many times?

I agree with PP who said that pop is really cheap and marked up. Coke is the largest purchaser of corn grain (for sugar) in the world. Technology on the other hand is very expensive, and evolving and has many, many glitches. I predict the RFID will be gone in 5 years.

Disney could care less about the loss of soda. It's absolute peanuts to them. The loss comes in when they can't resell a mug each year (because people are reusing them). They put the 3 minute rule in so that people can't fill up a mug and pour into another glass. It's annoying and inconvenient to resort guests, but it is what it is.

Don't fool yourself into thinking they care about the soda loss though. They don't. They care about not selling a new mug.

Seriously, no one cares about the fact that a change to reduce loss and impact Disney's bottom line but inconvenience guests is now MUCH MORE expensive? So I now have to deal with the hassles of timed refills and for that wonderful new feature, I now pay A LOT MOrE? And, this wonderfully earth- focused, environmentally conscious company doesn't even try to incent returning with my plastic mug by offering even a small discount? Such greed.

Seriously, no one cares about the fact that a change to reduce loss and impact Disney's bottom line but inconvenience guests is now MUCH MORE expensive? So I now have to deal with the hassles of timed refills and for that wonderful new feature, I now pay A LOT MOrE? And, this wonderfully earth- focused, environmentally conscious company doesn't even try to incent returning with my plastic mug by offering even a small discount? Such greed.

A lot more? Isn't it less than $2 for a length of stay mug? Is that really going to break your vacation budget? How about the fact that it now cost less for those people only staying 3 days or less? :confused3 Having to wait 3 minutes between refills? Boy what first world problems you have.
There is no such thing as greed when talking about a corporation, its called profit and there is no other reason for a corporation to exist. I'll never understand the complaints that a company makes too much. You are free to not financially support that company or you are free to benefit from it, buy some stock. The absolute beauty of America :thumbsup2

I think it's totally ridiculous that the people here who think the mug technology is awesome are accusing the rest of us of being mad just because we can't steal anymore. Not one person on this thread has said, "I am so mad about the new mug technology because now I can no longer buy one mug and get drinks for my whole family!!!"

No doubt it happens, but I seriously doubt if anyone who is posting on this thread is a drink-stealer.

I agree with someone higher up on the thread -- it IS always the same around here. The same holier-than-thou's deciding what the rest of us can and can't be irritated by!

I was thinking the same thing - who is upset because they can't "steal"? I didn't see anyone say they were mad because they can't steal... just upset that they are having to pay more and what they are paying for is now "timed" and comes with "strings" attached.

Free refills means free refills, right? How is that stealing if you get a refill. A

There will always be some type of abuse and probably mostly from kids with or without direction from an adult but I seriously doubt many people bring back old mugs. Sure, we've heard about it on here but that isn't representative of the overall population of Disney resorts.

I've never had a mug, we do not eat at the resort food courts much so we never though it was worth keeping up with one. This upcoming trip with the dining plan I suppose we will have one in the package. I probably won't even use it...but my "Free" refills are in all reality included in the dining plan price and it will come with strings attached if I want to use it. I will have to be "in the know" on how the dang thing works and if I do use it and the soda comes out wrong or lo and behold I'm thirsty and down a cup and want another while I eat, I have a wait time.

I'm picturing people lined up at the machines trying again and again within the 3 minute period while other people need to get their drinks before their food gets cold. Or their chip doesn't work, etc. Nothing makes me more upset than cold food.

It all just seems to be overkill to me, just do away with it altogether if it is that big of a problem. :headache:

Um, no. What I am annoyed about is 1) the very high cost of the mugs ($18). This is quite a steep increases considering the new mugs are in place to reduce expense/los and 2) having to deal with waiting to do a 1/2 reg/ 1/2 diet mug full. Then standing there another 3 minutes if I take a few gulps and want to top it back off. It is petty for the amount of $ a soda costs Disney.

Thank you- that is my peeve also.:thumbsup2 That soda costs so LITTLE,and 18.00 for a mug....it's not the cost, it's the HASSLE! I don't want to think about how much I can get,or when or anything else, I haven't ever brought last years mug with me,and one trip when my kids were small, we bought ONE mug,for our fam of 4,and we all just drank what we wanted when we wanted. I still know we did NOT drink 14.00 worth of soda that week,so no worries. I wouldn't 'steal'...but come on!

We don't get the mugs, but I can totally get why they went this route. Want to blame someone? Blame those kids that "brought mom's old stuff" or the people (some of whom are on these boards) who reuse the same mug every year and don't pay for the sodas they drink.

I would like them to follow Busch Gardens lead. We bought 2 refillable glasses and refilled them for .99 each. The containers were $5 or 7 each.

I would like them to follow Busch Gardens lead. We bought 2 refillable glasses and refilled them for .99 each. The containers were $5 or 7 each.

The mugs are used only at the resort people are staying at - not in the parks.

What I can't figure out is how much abuse and stealing can even be happening because who hangs in the resort food court that much during a trip??? And how much can you drink that it would be a loss to Disney?

I have never felt in all our trips (at moderate resorts) that the food court was that centrally located enough to even feel that the mug was worthwhile for us to buy.

This is probably just a way to cut back "people" and automate the system... not because of stealing but while they are at it they are going to put a timer in there too just because they can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter