Seriously? now I have to think about Soda refills?

hsmamato2

<font color=magenta>Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad
Ok....I've been reading here,and it sounds like the new thing is 'microchipped' soda mugs..... Really?!? Of all the cheap things on a Dis vacation,soda has to top the list...:rolleyes1 I was considering going for a package with FD,using those mugs this year,now I'm glad I didn't bother. Days I can use the mug, how often I can use it, micro chips to track it all...ugh! One more thing to think about (hmmm,can I mix sodas? not if it exceeds the mandated 12 oz. in 3 minutes rule) oh Joy! Sorry for the snarky sound of my post, but this just seems like complete and total overkill. I already don't like the chipped bracelets,tickets,and tracking being put into place, but how much soda my kids might want to drink while at the food court? NO THANK YOU:sad2: I realize it's a tiny thing, but I am so glad I didn't go for the dining/mugs plan.....for 17.00 a mug, I could drink about a million gallons of soda on a trip,and still they would be making money off of me......just sayin':rolleyes1

Ok....I've been reading here,and it sounds like the new thing is 'microchipped' soda mugs..... Really?!? Of all the cheap things on a Dis vacation,soda has to top the list...:rolleyes1 I was considering going for a package with FD,using those mugs this year,now I'm glad I didn't bother. Days I can use the mug, how often I can use it, micro chips to track it all...ugh! One more thing to think about (hmmm,can I mix sodas? not if it exceeds the mandated 12 oz. in 3 minutes rule) oh Joy! Sorry for the snarky sound of my post, but this just seems like complete and total overkill. I already don't like the chipped bracelets,tickets,and tracking being put into place, but how much soda my kids might want to drink while at the food court? NO THANK YOU:sad2: I realize it's a tiny thing, but I am so glad I didn't go for the dining/mugs plan.....for 17.00 a mug, I could drink about a million gallons of soda on a trip,and still they would be making money off of me......just sayin':rolleyes1

I think it is in response maybe....to people who abused the system and brought back mugs from previous years visits to use over and over again. Thus not paying for any soda. :confused3 Just a thought. I know what you mean though, it is another thing to think about. Glad we are water people!:rotfl:

I know it sounds like something that is a no nothing thing since soda is "cheap" but think about this. It may cost Disney 25 cents (if that) per soda but when you multiply that by thousands of people refilling thousands of times, that mere 25 cents adds up.

And frankly, no matter how you cut it, stealing is stealing... Just say'n.

It costs Disney nowhere near 25 cents per soda. Try a penny. The whole thing is ridiculous. Even if you bought a mug for $15 and refilled it for 10 trips, Disney still probably made $. It is a true example of greed squashing customer convenience. If they were going to do this, the cost of the mug should have gone DOWn since all the loss to theft is no eliminated but no, we get to pay 30% MORe for the joy of timed and measured refills.

I agree it is overkill, but for a different reason. I think they are being way to strict with the refills (as others have said, if you walk all the way to the front to refill your cup, you will usually want to drink some there and top it off before leaving). Standing around for 3 minutes is silly and they should just make it where you can refill twice and then lock out for 10 minutes or something.

I understand Disney does not like to tell guests "no", so it is easer to let the machine and microchip do that for them. I actually saw more abuse of the soda machines this past trip than before.

My big problem, like yours is the expense. Disney will cut its costs significantly by implementing this new system. But instead of passing that costs on to guests, the mugs will still be priced in such a way that they are way too expensive for you to even remotely recover the costs associated. Maybe it is just another example of how once Disney included them in the Dining plan it ruined any value in them. LOL

We do not use the Dining Plan and will not in the future. We own DVC and already buy most of our soda and only occasionally invest in a mug. Now, maybe with the new system Disney will expand their refill stations and put them in more convenient locations throughout the resorts (like near the ice machines, etc) in which case it might make more sense for their policies.

conandrob240 said:
If they were going to do this, the cost of the mug should have gone DOWn since all the loss to theft is no eliminated but no, we get to pay 30% MORe for the joy of timed and measured refills.

That's a great point!

I too usually just drink water, but have used the mug as a part of the DDP. I considered getting a mug next trip (sans DDP) but there is no way I'd spend the money for the mugs now with the price increase.

We just go to Super Target or Publix and buy our own soda and other drinks. Even when we've had DDP (use TiW now), we've seldom bothered with the mugs. In total, we may have used the mugs for two fill-ups each. Many times we didn't even bother to go claim the mugs with DDP. I have to agree that hiking the mug prices makes zero sense.

It costs Disney nowhere near 25 cents per soda. Try a penny. The whole thing is ridiculous. Even if you bought a mug for $15 and refilled it for 10 trips, Disney still probably made $. It is a true example of greed squashing customer convenience. If they were going to do this, the cost of the mug should have gone DOWn since all the loss to theft is no eliminated but no, we get to pay 30% MORe for the joy of timed and measured refills.

Have to agree - this whole thing sounds like all Disney is interested in is "wringing the last few coppers from the wretches" - All those people "stealing" soda with old mugs are also guests paying the enormously inflated rates for food that come with being a guest at Disney.

It's not just the low cost of the refills that makes this sound totally ridiculous - what is the CAPITAL Disney has to invest in the new machines? Guess that's why your mug price will be higher - got to cover Disney's cost of increasing their profit margin on that mug.

Would just be much easier to include the mug with the room for each guest and increase the rack rate $1/day/guest - and would be better PR and fewer complaints from the frequent guest contingent.

I think this is another response by Disney for the guests without common sense. How many threads on these boards alone are closed because of "Have the designs changed?" "Can I use them in multiple resorts?" etc.

Benefits change. I was a BIG soda drinker, and still have trouble thinking that I could chug 12 oz every 3 minutes. Seems like a good number to me.

Ever been on a cruise? It's $50/week for just canned soda! I think Disney is really generous in their soda price!

I'm on the DDP and the mug comes with it, so what's to worry about? Seriously, it just seems to me that there is always someone who has something to complain about. No offense intended to anyone. But come on, most vacations you have to pay for everything, and I mean everything. This is just splitting hairs, ok, so don't get the mugs. But I agree with PP, its in response to those who repeatedly bring back their old mugs year after year! I've never done so, but it does burn my back side when I'm using a new mug at CBR and see a family of 6 using the "old" Wilderness Lodge mugs to fill up! So, I get their point. It makes sense. If you don't like the mugs, ask for a paper cup and drink water.

I am sorry, but I find it funny that people are upset about Disney wanting to make money and wanting to stop abuse. It is more then the loss of profit from the soda when someone refills an old mug or random cup. It is the loss of profit from selling a "drink". No company is going to stand aside and allow it if they have an easy and effective way to fix the problem.

conandrob240 said:

It would seem to make sense for the price to go down but that is not how businesses set prices. Cost is a factor but so is the demand. If it costs me $1 to make something and I sell it for $2 I can make money. But if I raise the price to $3 and I still sell the same quantity I would be foolish not to sell for $3. We may call it greedy but it is our capitalist system.

The price is set by what people will pay. If too many people start bringing their own drinks then Disney will have made a mistake and will have to make adjustments.

Also remember there is more to the cost than just the raw materials. Food courts must make a profit. They have to pay for labor, repairs, upkeep and all other material prople use. That has to all come out of the sales of food and beverages.

I am sorry, but I find it funny that people are upset about Disney wanting to make money and wanting to stop abuse. It is more then the loss of profit from the soda when someone refills an old mug or random cup. It is the loss of profit from selling a "drink". No company is going to stand aside and allow it if they have an easy and effective way to fix the problem.

Bingo.

I love our Disney trips and I gladly pay as much of my expendable vacation income there as I can get away with, but I will totally agree about the ridiculousness of the soda technology!

We always use the dining plan and I am very excited they started including a mug with it. We also always bought the mugs (a fresh one every visit) before they came with the DDP. It crossed my mind many a time that my whole family could drink as much fountain pop as we could hold in our bellies for a month on the cost of ONE of the mugs, much less one for each of us. Policing the amount of refills seems extremely petty, almost to the point of insulting.

Disney is very good at tricking me into thinking "and it was worth every penny"!!!! But that refillable pop situation is one area where I scratch my head. I still go along with it. :confused3

I apologize for the rant!
What I find most interesting about this whole discussions is that people are getting upset because they no longer can "steal" from the big bad corporation. If Disney had never offered the free refillable mug people wouldn't be complaining, but because Disney let people have "free" drinks for years people are now complaining. I love how the morals of people have gone downhill and it's now ok to "steal" because the corporation still makes money! When you take something from someone when you aren't entitled to it, that is the definition of stealing. Since Disney rules say you can't bring your cup back from previous drinks it is now stealing, but I guess that's ok as long as Disney doesn't know. And what a great example for your kids. Do what you want as long as you don't get caught!
God Bless America! oh wait, God was the one that said "Stealing" was wrong. Guess when you take God out of school and everything else in America this is what it comes down to. Stealing is ok as long as it's not me they are stealing from!
We complain about politicians being greedy, about corporations being greedy, but isn't it all about greed when we complain that we can no longer get what we want for free without paying?

I'll get off my soapbox now.

I apologize for the rant!
What I find most interesting about this whole discussions is that people are getting upset because they no longer can "steal" from the big bad corporation. If Disney had never offered the free refillable mug people wouldn't be complaining, but because Disney let people have "free" drinks for years people are now complaining. I love how the morals of people have gone downhill and it's now ok to "steal" because the corporation still makes money! When you take something from someone when you aren't entitled to it, that is the definition of stealing. Since Disney rules say you can't bring your cup back from previous drinks it is now stealing, but I guess that's ok as long as Disney doesn't know. And what a great example for your kids. Do what you want as long as you don't get caught!
God Bless America! oh wait, God was the one that said "Stealing" was wrong. Guess when you take God out of school and everything else in America this is what it comes down to. Stealing is ok as long as it's not me they are stealing from!
We complain about politicians being greedy, about corporations being greedy, but isn't it all about greed when we complain that we can no longer get what we want for free without paying?

I'll get off my soapbox now.
Totally agree.....was the same with enforcing fast pass times....bag check... Next it will be stopping free bus transportation.... Then the rental car users will say they're knit picking us again..

Never ends. It's just a different day .... These forums can get so petty, ridiculous , over and over!

On our trip last year, we saw a group of teens at the POR Food Court. Half the group had refillable mugs, the rest just cups. The ones with the mugs went up, filled their mugs, poured them into the others' cups, and then filled again. I made mention to the CM at the cash register when I saw this cycle repeat for the second time. He sighed and said he knew what was going on, but was limited in what he could do - unless he physically saw them pouring into a non-Disney mug and the person go refill, he couldn't officially say they were stealing, and being busy ringing people up, he couldn't watch them.

Two days later, we saw the same group of kids repeating the process at Sunshine Seasons. I was getting my paid for soda, and tried to make light: "hey, not sure if you knew, but those mugs are for resort only." The kid looked at me and said "Shoot*, we ain't even staying at a frickin'* hotel. We just got passes and fill up with my mom's stuff from, like, years ago!" He and his friend laughed and walked away. (* denotes clean version)

Now, I'm going to assume they aren't the only ones... and I'm going to assume they did it more than the two times I saw it. *shrugs* I'm not a fan of having to restrict soda access, and really wish we COULD use the mugs at the parks... but having seen first hand those who abuse the system, I understand why a business enterprise like Disney has to find ways to plug the leaks in the financial system.

Basically - don't blame Disney for having to tighten the restrictions. Blame those who constantly strive to find the loopholes or violate the rules altogether... they're the ones who make stuff like RFID mugs necessary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter