September/October 2013 check in

Geez, I go MIA for a couple of days and miss flight bookings, trip changes and a ll sorts of fun stuff! That'll teach me!

On the topic of Vegas airport transfers, do taxis have to have car seats in Vegas? I haven't even started looking at them yet so have no idea what we will do. Kids are 2,4 and 6 - suggestions?

You know, even though I am right on top of following all the car seat laws here, it didn't even occur to me to check for the US. I guess I just assumed that it would be like here, where taxis do not have to have car seats, and also where tour buses, school buses, and the like, don't have them either. We only caught 2 taxis, both very short trips, and DS sat in the seat with a seatbelt. But your question had me intrigued so I have looked it up, and it seems I was right anyway, that taxis don't have to have car seats (neither here in Oz nor in the US), same with tour buses, etc. However, in scanning through some forums, they advise that if you are planning lots of taxi/bus travel, that you might feel safer to bring your own car seats along (if feasible).

I will say that wherever there is the option (eg rental car, limo) I would always get a car seat, however with taxis and tour buses we won't be.

Booked with Prime time shuttle

Lax to DLH in luxury limo for 6pax. $125 and I also added a $50 prepaid tip so $175

Way back had SUV which was meant to be bigger but felt smaller for 6 pax

$110 plus a $45 tip

This was Dec 2011

Thanks for this. I have looked into Prime Time and they look good (though apparently only a private van will fit us and our suitcases!). They also operate in San Fran, which I think would be slightly cheaper for us than a taxi.

In July 2011 we used a Zippy shuttle from Hojo's to Hollywood Orchid suites (behind Hollywood and Highland shopping centre)-only 3 of us but it was a minivan that would have fitted at least 6 or 7. Cost us $87. Not sure what they would have charged for more passengers. He was late (can't remember now - 30 mins or maybe 40mins) which fretted us a bit but it wasn't like we had a plane to catch. He was highly apologetic as he got held up through huge delays picking up his previous fare from the airport-(something like they were 2 hrs late) still that's a negative in that you are dependent on their previous bookings. On the plus side he drove very well and sensibly (compared to a Supershuttle trip I have done many years earlier which was a white knuckle affair) and we felt very safe travelling with him and he knew the way to the tricky entrance to the hotel and was helpful.

Thanks, I will look into them too :) (I have vague recollections of a similar hair raising ride with Supershuttle many years ago, so that is something to consider!)

Gee, I don't log on for a day, and there are pages and pages of catching up.

Kirstin, I am also looking at transfers in San Francisco. The hotel we are considering recommended this company. I have not done any research so don't know what their reputation is like. We are not doing Bart either, with 3 kids and too many bags.

http://www.airportexpresssf.com/

Gee, I don't log on for a day, and there are pages and pages of catching up.

Kirstin, I am also looking at transfers in San Francisco. The hotel we are considering recommended this company. I have not done any research so don't know what their reputation is like. We are not doing Bart either, with 3 kids and too many bags.

http://www.airportexpresssf.com/

Thank you, I have checked them out and they seem pretty good too. Though it's hard as all these shuttle companies get bad reviews! I don't know which reviews to believe!

I have a limo company in LA to add into the mix as well: http://www.dklivery.com/home.html
But I am not sure how many people/bags they can take, so would need to contact them first (and feel a bit silly doing so with 7 months still to go!)

Kristin, are you staying at The Signature in Vegas? If you are you can arrange airport transfers through the hotel http://www.mgmgrand.com/amenities/airport-check-in-services.aspx. We will need to look into this as we're staying at the MGM.

ETA. Just saw the prices on the side it's probably cheaper to catch a taxi.

Thanks Sare, I didn't know about this! It probably does work out a little dearer, however it is a fixed price (so maybe it will be a good option instead of a cab, which could range in price to be more than the shuttle anyway if we get a dodgy driver!)

Interesting about the check-in service too (though if you did it this way, I wonder if you have less of a chance of an upgrade? I'm always interested in the possibility of an upgrade! :rotfl:)

Interesting about the check-in service too (though if you did it this way, I wonder if you have less of a chance of an upgrade? I'm always interested in the possibility of an upgrade! :rotfl:)

I hadn't thought of that :lmao: Seeing that we'll be in vegas before you we can test it out for you :rotfl: I guess $65 dollars is pretty good for a return trip. Plus you don't have to pre book.

Does anyone know of which is a good car hire company or comparison site. We want to hire a car for 10 days to take us from Vegas to Anaheim?

ETA Just checked the trip advisor Vegas forum and saw that people have received upgrades and made room requests. Seems to be a great idea. The counter is apparently serviced by a number of people and the queues are avoided. The only reason we knew about it was because dh rang to book a room and the Mandalay bay, who put us onto the MGM as they could not accommodate the 5 of us. The sales rep on the phone was so helpful and told dh.

I hadn't thought of that :lmao: Seeing that we'll be in vegas before you we can test it out for you :rotfl: I guess $65 dollars is pretty good for a return trip. Plus you don't have to pre book.

Does anyone know of which is a good car hire company or comparison site. We want to hire a car for 10 days to take us from Vegas to Anaheim?

ETA Just checked the trip advisor Vegas forum and saw that people have received upgrades and made room requests. Seems to be a great idea. The counter is apparently serviced by a number of people and the queues are avoided. The only reason we knew about it was because dh rang to book a room and the Mandalay bay, who put us onto the MGM as they could not accommodate the 5 of us. The sales rep on the phone was so helpful and told dh.

Good idea, you can let me know how you go with your upgrade request! ;)

(And if you are hiring a car from Vegas (like us), you won't need a return shuttle, unless you are planning to pick up the rental car from the airport?).

We have hired through Avis as they have a location at MGM Grand, which we thought was very convenient (drop off is near the GardenWalk in Anaheim which is a fairly short walk back to Hojos - and we have decided to check-in, then take the car back, then have a nice meal at one of the Garden Walk restaurants, before walking back to Hojos) And we only need a car for 1 day. It was a little cheaper with Alamo, mainly because the child car seat was cheaper, but they didn't have the range of pick-up locations in Vegas (drop off is good though -near Disneyland Hotel at the end of Downtown Disney), nor did they have the van size that we would need with so many of us.

(And if you are hiring a car from Vegas (like us), you won't need a return shuttle, unless you are planning to pick up the rental car from the airport?).

We have hired through Avis as they have a location at MGM Grand, which we thought was very convenient (drop off is near the GardenWalk in Anaheim which is a fairly short walk back to Hojos - and we have decided to check-in, then take the car back, then have a nice meal at one of the Garden Walk restaurants, before walking back to Hojos) And we only need a car for 1 day. It was a little cheaper with Alamo, mainly because the child car seat was cheaper, but they didn't have the range of pick-up locations in Vegas (drop off is good though -near Disneyland Hotel at the end of Downtown Disney), nor did they have the van size that we would need with so many of us.

Far out...I'm not with it!!! Of course we'll only need one way.

Thanks for the car hire tip. I'll have a look at avis and Alamo and see what we can do.

Re: car hire. Have a look at traveljigsaw.com.au. You don't know which car hire company you get until you book, but it is a great price and includes all insurances etc you will need. We went with them last time and got Dollar. They were absolutely fine, and didn't pressure us to take out all the extras they offer. They use all reputable car hire companies.

Re:MGM. We stayed there last year. We were offered an upgrade at a price which we took. It was probably twice what a standard room was, but still came out cheaper than our room in Anaheim. We got a Suite. Can't remember what it was called, but it was massive. So great to have 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, dining, living etc after being in one room in Anaheim. It was well worth upgrading.

I can recommend traveljigsaw as well. We've hired through them for our last 2 trips to the States and have ended up with cars from Alamo. No complaints, good service.

Enjoy your trip :)

WanderlustNZ said:
Just a heads up. According to the latest Mousesavers letter, there is speculation that WDW ticket prices might go up at the start of April this year in line with the introduction of Magic+. Of course we don't know this for sure, but I think I'll buy my tickets soon just in case.

Apparently, last year, tickets went up in June and Disney only gave people 36hrs notice. It would be just my luck that that 36hrs was one when I was busy with other things and I'd miss the message.

Anyway, thought I'd just mention this incase anyone's interested.

I was so excited when I saw the exchange rate this morning that I decided to go ahead and buy my WDW tickets (10 day Park Hoppers with Water Parks and More). Yay, so excited! Now I just need to wait for MNNSHP tickets to be released and I'll have all my theme park tickets sorted. :banana:

Using UndercoverTourist and a small Mousesaver's discount to buy our 3 tickets, it worked out US$55 less than buying direct from Disney. Plus, the international shipping is free. So feeling quite impressed by Undercover Tourist at present.

Hi,

Last year I booked car hire through:

http://www.carhire3000.com

It is a UK service, that I thought had some good deals. I even booked a car while I was in the U.S with them. There were no dramas with the bookings made for Alamo cars.

I must admit it was dead easy to check out of the DLH and stroll across the street to the Alamo office.

For this trip I will be comparing them against Jigsaw

Dean

My plans are firming up. It's looking probably definitely maybe like the four-corners area. My PTR was updated with the first draft itinerary.

For this trip I will be comparing them against Jigsaw

Dean

Car hire 3000 and travel jigsaw are owned by the same company. If you look at their websites, they are identical, except Carhire 3000 is in Pounds and Traveljigsaw is in AUD.

I do check both though, because Carhire 3000 usually ends up cheaper in Pounds, I guess depending on conversion rate at the time.

I have been looking at UScarhire.com, they don't seem to require you to buy a full tank of fuel upfront like Travel Jigsaw. I prefer to bring the car back full not empty especially on shorter rentals.

Like everything lately, I have not had time to read any reviews.

A warning with Dollar in Florida, they charge S7.99 a day (maximum $41.99 a week) for the Sunpass Toll pass. Alamo charge $2.95 a day to a maximum of $14.75 per rental period. We got caught out with them last time using Travel Jigsaw and paying $80 to Dollar for the toll pass. I have emailed Travel Jigsaw and they seem prepared to tell me which car to book to be guaranteed Alamo.

Info about the tolls is here if anyone is interested:

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Thanks for the info about Dollar Jade. If we get to WDW, we would have gone through Traveljigsaw/Carhire 3000, so it's good to know that we may be able to avoid Dollar.

Will just have to keep that in memory in case it's a long time till I get to WDW!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter