• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

September 2015 Car Rental Watch

We are arriviving tomorrow morning at Mco. We had already prechecked in with Alamo so we could bypass the counter at a rate of 134 total for a standard view with the visa and insiders discount. (8 days) Checked prices today online and it was down to 106. Was nervous to cancel the first one online so I called Alamo and the rep gave me an even better rate of 103 total. All I had to do was reprint the skip the counter ticket.
So happy, I was checking every day for a month and finally got the price down!!!

My 9/17-9/23 Alamo full size rental using Costco code and Visa code dropped this morning from $90.14 to $86.74. Not a lot, but I will take it and keep checking. :) And DD25 got our Costco card last night. :)
It's kind of exciting when you check frequently and find price drops.
Only a week to go for you now (2 weeks for us) keep checking up until you leave, prices can still drop more.
Enjoy your trip.

It's kind of sad that we have friends who book months out and never check back to see if the prices get lower (no matter how much I nag them to check) Sometimes they even Pre-pay which really drives me crazy. I'd rather shift the extra dollars from "transportation" over to one of the "fun" categories in our vacation budget like a nice meal or an extra park day.

Last edited:
Just wanted to let everyone know Alamo Dolphin pickup and drop off are very convenient we booked for just 2 days only really needed car for one, but did not want to have to rush to get car back. We ended up bringing our rental back 1 day early and our credit card was credited. We did the Magic Behind the Steam trains and wanted to have a car to get to the park by 7:15 am. The staff at the desk are very helpful they were the ones that said if you bring it back by 1:30 you will only have to pay for one day.

Just added the AP code for Alamo to my rental and got the price down another $5. $115.28.

Rebooked today: New Price $89.57 9/17 - 9/23 (with Visa and AP codes). Price was same for standard or full size so I booked Full Size just in case.

A slight drop in prices with Alamo this evening for full size and standard, both down $5 for our 9/22-10/02 dates, now $170 all in using Costco ID and $30 Visa code.
Almost all other sizes seem to have jumped up $20-$40 though

Are CDN Costco members allowed to book via US Costco site? In general, how many weeks in advance is the best time to book a car rental? I'll be travelling to MCO last week of Oct.

Nevermind, I'll post this in the Oct watch forum - sorry about that.

Thanks

Are CDN Costco members allowed to book via US Costco site? In general, how many weeks in advance is the best time to book a car rental? I'll be travelling to MCO last week of Oct.

Nevermind, I'll post this in the Oct watch forum - sorry about that.

Thanks
As a Canadian Costco member, we cannot book on the Costcotravel.com site since you are required to enter a US address to complete the reservation.
You can however, take the info listed on that site (Costco ID and any discount codes) to book directly on the rental car company's website (Alamo.com, Budget.com, Avis.com, Enterprise.com)

Might be price drops in the morning for Alamo...Currently their site is down for maintenance - each price drop I got for my two rentals were right after site maintenance around 5am EST.

Hopefully they don't error this time and tease us with the fll surcharge lol

Might be price drops in the morning for Alamo...Currently their site is down for maintenance - each price drop I got for my two rentals were right after site maintenance around 5am EST.

Hopefully they don't error this time and tease us with the fll surcharge lol

Just checked and my price is the same that I got a few days ago. Not complaining though because $89 is good to me!

Well so much for lower prices a day or two before arrival. What was $159 for 9 days is now well over $300 for the same dates using the double upgrade and Costco discount. Isnt September supposed to be a slow month?

Last edited:
Trip is in a couple of days. Prices have climbed <for me> more than they have dropped as I got closer to the rental. Had the cheapest "consistent" price about three weeks out. Since then, they have just gone up.

Luckily, I managed to secure an $83 rate (all inclusive) around the latter part of June, I believe, for a five-day full-size car rental, including additional driver and unlimited miles from Hertz. That rate was only around for a very short period of time, as far as I can tell (I was checking daily, saw it, booked it, and three hours later, it was gone).

I do have some fairly good codes, etc., esp. with National, but with the additional driver and all, nothing beat this. And, the big surprise, was I just used the Hertz Disboards code and an $11 promo coupon that I had picked up somewhere.

Anyway, best of luck to you who are still looking -- I give up --

We arrive on Friday. I had gotten $125 for a midsize with Alamo for 10 days last week. Today the cheapest I can find is $170.

Not sure I believe that day or two before. The best price I got for my Alamo rental that starts tomorrow was gotten last Friday - so about a week. That's why I grab the best price when I see it. I did the online check-in this morning so I'm all set to go!

Not sure I believe that day or two before. The best price I got for my Alamo rental that starts tomorrow was gotten last Friday - so about a week. That's why I grab the best price when I see it. I did the online check-in this morning so I'm all set to go!

I agree! Mine starts tomorrow too. First thing yesterday morning I checked and got the exact same rate I had reserved last week with my new Costco card. Then by mid morning it was up over $50! And checking just now? Up $142.70!! That is crazy! But I am very happy with my $86 5 day rental with Alamo.

If I do online check in with Alamo I can go right to our car correct?
Yes. If I remember correctly, you do online checkin on a computer and you'll get a confirmation page you can print out and the instructions are to bring that along to show the gate agent.

Can someone please help me? I went on to the costco site to book the car based on everyone's posts, but how is everyone using the codes? There doesn't seem to be a place to insert them.

ETA: I have a costco membership and a visa card.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter