• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Selfie Sticks?

Funny, I was actually thinking of getting one for Disney. Not to take on rides (that's lame) or because I'm narcissistic, but because I go solo. I found myself passing up photo ops last time because I had no one to take the picture. The best picture I had is one of Chip and I gamely trying to take a (bad) selfie. I figured having the stick would make it easier to take photos with characters, and also give me a way to overcome my shyness with the characters (since it would give me a 'reason' for visiting them). But reading this I'm not so sure...

I was disgusted with the selfie sticks when we saw them in the parks. But then I *might* have gone home and ordered one right away for my daughter for Christmas. :cool2: :rotfl2:

Seriously, the issue most have here is in how they are used. If you aren't sticking them out on rides, or hoisting them in the air in the way of others at parades and shows...... who cares?

Funny, I was actually thinking of getting one for Disney. Not to take on rides (that's lame) or because I'm narcissistic, but because I go solo. I found myself passing up photo ops last time because I had no one to take the picture. The best picture I had is one of Chip and I gamely trying to take a (bad) selfie. I figured having the stick would make it easier to take photos with characters, and also give me a way to overcome my shyness with the characters (since it would give me a 'reason' for visiting them). But reading this I'm not so sure...
I just ask someone to take the picture for me...

It seems like it would be dangerous. But I haven't actually seen one being used, so I guess I can't have much of an opinion. I just don't get the whole selfie thing. I have short arms so my selfies are limited. :D

As a person with short arms, whose selfies usually end up being of her forehead or nose & just a teeny bit of the scenery because I can't hold the camera out far enough, I can see the 'point' of these. But only for quick shots and only using 'minimum' length to get the right picture. That being said, I just can't see myself wasting my time putting one on and taking it off constantly to take the pics.

Guess I'll just stick to my 'half-selfies'.

I had never heard of these until my trip to DLR in December. When I saw the first one I said out loud, "*** is THAT?!" I only saw a handful and thankfully there were none on rides (hopefully they ban that soon because I can see it being pretty dangerous - stick hitting the ceiling of the Matterhorn and scattering debris in everyone's face? Sounds like fun!). They were mostly harmless except for the group of 20 people that were trying to take a group photo in the middle of Main Street right after the fireworks show. People were running into them and their stick left and right.

Seriously, the issue most have here is in how they are used. If you aren't sticking them out on rides, or hoisting them in the air in the way of others at parades and shows...... who cares?

I would think this is true. I tend to be a very (sometimes overly) considerate person, so I'd be very cognizant of it. Just don't like drawing extra attention to myself!

I just ask someone to take the picture for me...

That isn't always easy for people. I don't like to do that. (I think it's because my family is Swiss, and Europeans have a way harder time with that than Americans seem to.) If someone offers, fine, but I usually don't ask. Plus, my "camera" is my phone and I'm reluctant to hand that off to strangers...

I think we really need to re-imagine what we call these things. Sounds like something E.L. James came up with.

I could barely concentrate on our ride through Splash Mountain. My eyes were fixed on the stick they guy had hanging outside the log the entire time. OK, I *might* have been hoping he would whack something and lose his phone in the water. :rolleyes1

That would be me too (wishing that, not doing it). Between that and people using their iPads to video everything. All video screens should be BANNED! on rides. I actually miss the old "view finder" on cameras. Wish there were camera where you could use a view finder & turn Off/On the screen.

It seems like it would be dangerous. But I haven't actually seen one being used, so I guess I can't have much of an opinion. I just don't get the whole selfie thing. I have short arms so my selfies are limited. :D

That cracks me up. ;) Two thumbs up and a bag of cheese Doritos! :)

Personally, I don't mind people that use the selfie-stick to take photos of themselves (or their group) with characters. Granted, you could give your camera to the CM with the character (in most cases there is one) and they'll happily take the photo for you, but not everyone wants someone else to use their camera. In this case, my feeling is that other guests should not be close enough to you to get hit by the stick (unless you have some super long self stick) because then they'd be practically in the character meet-and-greet with you (and your group)!

I just don't like/appreciate the folks that walk around the parks with the stick extended in front of them or want to use it on attractions (like Big Thunder, where I saw one...yikes!). Those are the ones that seem the most dangerous and the mostly likely to hit someone else.

I think they would be convenient for group shots. You just can't get your arm far enough away. But yeah it would drive me nuts for someone to be using one on a ride. :P

Omg! Some dolt used the narcistick on big thunder? That is just so moronic, honestly! What if.....the stupid stick smacks against a ride element, which then may send shrapnel flying about, which just might land in your eyes and or elsewhere. What a fool, who uses such an idiotic implement on a ride attraction.
Just great...... first the price goes up on everything at Disney, then the measles, then all the refurbishments and tarps, now narcisticks! Oh wait a minute, that's right, don't forget long lines, other pushy people, people that take flash pictures on dark rides, and people that can't shut the hades up on said dark ride. And....people that practically walk on your heels because you're not walking fast enough for them. And....forget about seeing the Court of Angels anytime soon if ever again! Blah
So maybe I really should visit somewhere else. I am certain there is plenty of room for at least one more at other local attractions.

We're seriously thinking about getting them. We'd like to be in some pictures together, but I'm not about to hand over my too-expensive iPhone to a total stranger and ask for a picture or two.

There are legit reasons to have and use one. It's not always about the narcissism, sometimes it's simply because it's an easier way to get a few pictures.

In my opinion, these idiot sticks are narcissistic, moronic and potentially dangerous. I am not interested in stealing anyone's i anything. I have my own phone.
I hope Disney bans the idiot sticks. Blah......

21a1a8a94d1988e5c693fc186337ff46.jpg

I don't know why there is so much hate for these things when used sensibly. The thing I don't understand is why someone would be so stupid as to use these on a ride, particularly a fast ride like Big Thunder or even Splash Mountain. The clearances on those rides is sometimes quite tight and can barely manage a rider's outstretched arms, but add the extra length of a selfie-stick, and there is a good chance there will be some injuries - most likely not even to the person holding the stick, but to some innocent person behind them. It could even be fatal...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter