Selfie Sticks?

On many rides we are told to keep our arms and legs inside the vehicle. That being said, why would Disney allow selfie sticks on rides since they could extend outside the car? It seems to me that Disney is loath to make any new rules, as if they do not want to upset anyone.

Live in the moment. Not through a screen. I think on some ways these inventions ruin the park experience, not only for others but for the user too. I barely even take photos anymore because I am too busy enjoying myself, living in the moment.
I relive my trips through my camera lens and it puts a huge smile on my face when I read my trip reports. To me, my pictures make my memories more vivid. I can read and understand exactly what I was feeling at the time and it comes rushing back. That being said.. I think selfie sticks are idiotic

I don't know why there is so much hate for these things when used sensibly.
I think it is that people aren't using them sensibly. I have no issue with someone using one to get a photo of them with a character or in front of the castle. I think the issue is with people, as has been mentioned above, walking around, on rides, etc.

I think it is that people aren't using them sensibly. I have no issue with someone using one to get a photo of them with a character or in front of the castle. I think the issue is with people, as has been mentioned above, walking around, on rides, etc.

I can understand the use of the stick for Stationary Photos. This is an option to have everyone in the photo with more than distance of the longest arm.

My concern is those using the stick while in Motion.

Geemo

I have a gopro and the "selfie stick" is a must have. I don't use it for photos. But using it on the rides gives us great video of our kids on the rides. The cast members always remind us to keep them within the ride. We have never had a problem. We also use the gopro pole during the parades. Because we can get the gopro out further then the average person the parade charecters kinda cater to the camera. It's a nice personal touch. We have had characters wave, make funny faces, and make funny comments. I am not a fan of the whole selfie photos movement. But I am a fan of the gopro style of video. I would highly recommend getting one for a gopro.

Oh wow, pretty soon selfie sticks will have to be added to the already growing list of things not to do that are in all the safety spiels. Can you imagine the Ghost Host or the guy on Thunder Mountain telling you not to use selfie sticks? :headache:

I think we really need to re-imagine what we call these things. Sounds like something E.L. James came up with.
fyi... these things are reinvented..... do people remember the XShot seven years ago? They just stuck an Apple adapter on it.

Funny, I was actually thinking of getting one for Disney. Not to take on rides (that's lame) or because I'm narcissistic, but because I go solo. I found myself passing up photo ops last time because I had no one to take the picture. The best picture I had is one of Chip and I gamely trying to take a (bad) selfie. I figured having the stick would make it easier to take photos with characters, and also give me a way to overcome my shyness with the characters (since it would give me a 'reason' for visiting them). But reading this I'm not so sure...

You can give people your smartphone, and ask them to take a picture of you. It's better than a selfie stick.

I have a gopro and the "selfie stick" is a must have. I don't use it for photos. But using it on the rides gives us great video of our kids on the rides. The cast members always remind us to keep them within the ride. We have never had a problem. We also use the gopro pole during the parades. Because we can get the gopro out further then the average person the parade charecters kinda cater to the camera. It's a nice personal touch. We have had characters wave, make funny faces, and make funny comments. I am not a fan of the whole selfie photos movement. But I am a fan of the gopro style of video. I would highly recommend getting one for a gopro.

couldn't agree with you more.

That's very nice for your family. How are you making sure that your go-pro on a stick isn't impeding someone else's view or intruding on their experience. My DH uses a go-pro, too, but usually wears it on his head so it's not in anyone's way.

You can give people your smartphone, and ask them to take a picture of you. It's better than a selfie stick.
Not everyone feels comfortable enough to go up to a stranger and ask them to take their picture.

I'm not sure why people care so much about what others are doing. Unless it's somehow infringing on you personally or is being used improperly who really cares?

I cannot stand those stupid extender poles/arms for smart phones and cameras. Live in the moment. Experience life first hand instead of behind a screen all the time.

DLR in Anaheim is not Europe. Your chances of getting your phone stolen by somebody taking your picture are pretty low. Now would I have a random person take my pic in front of the Eiffel Tower? Perhaps not because of all of the petty crime that occurs in areas like that.

I do not want to be on a ride with somebody's big metal stick in my field of vision the whole time. Sure your vacation is important to you but so is mine. There are too many "special snowflakes" who behave as if common courtesy doesn't apply to them.

I just saw my first "selfie stick" on my most recent trip to DL. For the record, I live in the suburbs of L.A. and still hadn't heard of one until now. So, yes, I guess people do use them. I think they're silly.

Not everyone feels comfortable enough to go up to a stranger and ask them to take their picture.

I'm not sure why people care so much about what others are doing. Unless it's somehow infringing on you personally or is being used improperly who really cares?

This is exactly right. I'm not comfortable with asking strangers for things or handing my personal property to someone I don't know. It's not about whether or not Anaheim is safer than Europe (my family is from Switzerland and I would actually beg to differ on that; you're less likely to have someone steal your phone in Geneve than in California...if you can even get them to take it without looking at you like you have two heads). It's just not something I feel comfortable with, based on who I am and how I was raised (very reserved Swiss household).

If I'm not carrying it on a ride or sticking it in your face during a parade (SO gauche), what does it hurt if I get it out and take a selfie with a character?

ETA: On the flip side, my football club in England - Tottenham Hotspur - just banned the use of these from our grounds during the game, and I support the decision. It's really all about when/where you're using them and your consideration for others

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter