Security to enter the parks is the absolute worst. THE WORST

Returning to DL. I'm quite OK with the security measures at DL. Even the ones I'm not aware of. If people want to think that the bag check thing is the only security there, fine. I've got no problem waiting for it. Sure I wish the lines would go faster, but all in all it doesn't ruin my vacation.

Returning to DL. I'm quite OK with the security measures at DL. Even the ones I'm not aware of. If people want to think that the bag check thing is the only security there, fine. I've got no problem waiting for it. Sure I wish the lines would go faster, but all in all it doesn't ruin my vacation.

Maybe we should warn folks where to pick their nose.... If you want someone to not see it, head into one of the parks restrooms, as anywhere else, folks are watching, and even taking photos/videos.....

But this is great for lost kids, and has been for over a decade, the alert goes out and someone in the security office can check many places all at one time.

I was at the parks for 5 days in early Dec. As far as I can remember at least 3 of the days, I did not go through the metal detector.

They moved a barrier aside immediately in front of bag checks and I just walk straight out.
Not that I wanted to circumvent the metal detectors, I really was trying to close/correct my bag or taking out/fiddling my camera.
DS, who was behind me always, had to go to the metal detector as he hesitated and looked at the staff, who redirected him to the metal detector devices.
The other 2 times, he just followed me out, and no one but no one stopped us. Of course there were other guests walking straight out as well.

It never saved me anytime by not going through the metal detectors as I waited for the rest of the family in all cases.

Disney should not allow this to happen... this becomes the weakest link in the chain. Their security staff allows ppl to by pass the metal detectors.

Other than that, i also saw at least twice, someone using a Selfie stick. So bad checking is bag and needs to be done more thorough.

The backup is ridiculous. It's a horrible way to start your time at the parks. Zero magic.

I am sorry you had to wait so long to get into the park.
But that is not a horrible way to start your day... what would really be horrible is some shooting or bomb blast in the parks.
Then they will close the parks and ruin the vacation and that is definitely zero magic.

I was at the parks for 5 days in early Dec. As far as I can remember at least 3 of the days, I did not go through the metal detector.

They moved a barrier aside immediately in front of bag checks and I just walk straight out.
Not that I wanted to circumvent the metal detectors, I really was trying to close/correct my bag or taking out/fiddling my camera.
DS, who was behind me always, had to go to the metal detector as he hesitated and looked at the staff, who redirected him to the metal detector devices.
The other 2 times, he just followed me out, and no one but no one stopped us. Of course there were other guests walking straight out as well.

It never saved me anytime by not going through the metal detectors as I waited for the rest of the family in all cases.

Disney should not allow this to happen... this becomes the weakest link in the chain. Their security staff allows ppl to by pass the metal detectors.

Other than that, i also saw at least twice, someone using a Selfie stick. So bad checking is bag and needs to be done more thorough.

All the new Western Security gates are designed to have 100% of the guests go through a metal detector.

Alas, due to space constraints, the Eastern side (next to the Transportation Hub) still will need to play "random choice" (and by the way, it isn't so random) until the new Eastern Gateway project is finished in a couple of years, plenty of new security checks off Manchester, and at the Toy Story Parking Lot (similar to M&F).

So the goals are short lines, and 100% using Metal Detectors , besides other things.

Just chiming in as we returned from a trip form the 10th-the 14th. I do not dispute the OPs experience. It's always a crap shoot. The lines were long but not too long in time length. this thread did help us to decide which gates to take for DCA. We only did the GC's gate when it was well past opening. Yep, there was usually only 1 person checking bags, but after that it went fast. Even the front desk will advise you to NOT go through that line for DCA opening. Of course, we're coming up on the busiest time of the holidays, so it'll be bad anyway, but I wanted to tell those that were debating on whether to go or not based on this to go. This was our first trip to DL after 22 years going to WDW. We enjoyed it IMMENSELY and actually preferred more things at DL to WDW by a mile.

Reported by people that don't understand statistics. 67 of 70 facilities allowed at least one item through, but there was more than one item tested at each facility.

You're quite right...we don't know how many items were tested at each facility. There was most definitely more than one, but it's equally an assumption to assume that it was a significantly high number of items testing and that the misses were only one.

I just don't believe metal detectors and x ray machines are incredibly reliable when it comes to current safety concerns. This is not to say I don't have confidence in Disney security. I do...but it has nothing to do with the metal detectors. I felt safe there long before they installed those. If anything I have *more* concern the more machines are introduced into the process as people can get complacent and potentially assume that the machine will catch things for them (not intentionally, obviously, but it can happen unintentionally), and perhaps miss things they might not otherwise.

All the new Western Security gates are designed to have 100% of the guests go through a metal detector.

This is not true. Well, technically, they are all "designed" to allow everyone through, but that doesn't happen in reality. Every TWO tables has ONE metal detector. They are still only selecting "some" people to go through the metal detectors at all three of the "new" checkpoints. The only one that seems to be making everyone go through is the one between GCH and DtD.

Kids are still also not required to go through. My kids have NEVER had to walk through one and we go numerous times every month.

This is not true. Well, technically, they are all "designed" to allow everyone through, but that doesn't happen in reality. Every TWO tables has ONE metal detector. They are still only selecting "some" people to go through the metal detectors at all three of the "new" checkpoints. The only one that seems to be making everyone go through is the one between GCH and DtD.

Kids are still also not required to go through. My kids have NEVER had to walk through one and we go numerous times every month.

This was before the new security checkpoints were opened but our son had to go through a couple of times during our September trip.

This was before the new security checkpoints were opened but our son had to go through a couple of times during our September trip.

Our November trip was before the new checkpoints as well, and everyone was going through the metal detectors.

My kids haven't had to go through a metal detector since they put them up a year ago...they have always said "kids can go around."

Before the new security, at least once, my sons were directed to go via the metal detectors while I was allowed to walk out of the "gaps" in the railing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter