Security to enter the parks is the absolute worst. THE WORST

We went in mid-September and tried to limit what we took into the parks; mostly we carried our phones, power banks and cords, snacks, hand sanitizer, Kleenex, and empty water bottles. We put that all in a see-through bag (the kind that's required if you take a bag to an NFL game). Literally every security person who did a bag search thanked us for doing that, and several said that they wish everyone carried a see-through bag.

Wait - what's this? There's actual requirements on the type of bag you can take to an NFL game? It has to be see-through? So what about a woman's purse or those tiny backpacks you see some kids toting around. Would that mean there's special requirements for a NHL game at the Staples Centre? Does anyone know how I find out? I don't want to be turned away after winning NHL All-Star game tickets. That would really be disappointing for my son.

Wait - what's this? There's actual requirements on the type of bag you can take to an NFL game? It has to be see-through? So what about a woman's purse or those tiny backpacks you see some kids toting around. Would that mean there's special requirements for a NHL game at the Staples Centre? Does anyone know how I find out? I don't want to be turned away after winning NHL All-Star game tickets. That would really be disappointing for my son.

DL does not require you to put anything in a see-through bag. However, some sports stadiums, basketball centers, etc. do have such requirements. For example, here in Tucson, the only way you're going to attend a UofA basketball game is by using a clear plastic see through handbag, which you buy in the local grocery store on at the campus bookstore.

Yep. Its pretty standard now. Check the web site for the event (not just the venue). Our Fiesta Bowl Tickets actually came with the bag in the same envelope.

Just wondering, is there any reason why they are manually searching bags rather than using airport-style scanners for bags? Is it a money thing, or are the machines less effective, or is it about training staff to use them?? When I went to Universal (Orlando) they had the machines and it seemed to go a lot faster than Disney's bag searches.

Well., even TSA had something like a 95% fail rate with those scanners...so IMO, they're not really all that reliable.

DL does not require you to put anything in a see-through bag. However, some sports stadiums, basketball centers, etc. do have such requirements. For example, here in Tucson, the only way you're going to attend a UofA basketball game is by using a clear plastic see through handbag, which you buy in the local grocery store on at the campus bookstore.

Yep. Its pretty standard now. Check the web site for the event (not just the venue). Our Fiesta Bowl Tickets actually came with the bag in the same envelope.

Well, I'm glad Princessebird made that comment. I would not have known. I guess I have more research to do.

I must say I don't really like the idea of having my wallet and other personal items in a clear see-through bag though.

So, did we get a definitive answer that the GCH entrance to DTD by Sephora is for GCH guests exclusively? We, like many others use that entrance from PPH and Stovall's etc.

So, did we get a definitive answer that the GCH entrance to DTD by Sephora is for GCH guests exclusively? We, like many others use that entrance from PPH and Stovall's etc.
Someone in a another thread said coming from PPH they were redirected to the security checks at Earl of Sandwich.

Well, I'm glad Princessebird made that comment. I would not have known. I guess I have more research to do.

I must say I don't really like the idea of having my wallet and other personal items in a clear see-through bag though.

If you're going during the colder months of the year, you could always wear 1 of these--> https://www.sholdit.com/. They have a hidden pocket in them which can hold a wallet and/or cell phone. I have a couple and they're really great.

And if you wear a Tilley hat, those have a hidden pocket in the hat, where you can put an ID, debit or credit card, and some cash.

If you're going during the colder months of the year, you could always wear 1 of these--> https://www.sholdit.com/. They have a hidden pocket in them which can hold a wallet and/or cell phone.
I wear a ScottEVest, year round. Originally purchased specifically for park visits, but I wear them everywhere.
Phone and sunglass case need to be removed, but other items (wallet, water bottle, park tickets and lanyard...) remain in pockets and pass through the metal detector.

Yes, for any event now, you have to check the security rules beforehand. Our local college stadium has banned all bags and purses, including tiny cross-bodies, fanny packs, and camera bags. Clear gallon size bags are permissible for items like diapers. You can fill the pockets of your bulky jacket or cargo pants, but no teeny tiny bags for women. I wonder why I hate security theater... At least DL would never go to that kind of extreme.

OK, here are the facts about the switchover.

No changes to the East side, still just 16 stations to process all the folks.

The area near the M& F Tram Loading is now open and clear. (They ran out of time,and left on tent up today, but it should be removed tonight.

The Security Checks will open up prior to 5 AM daily (Starbucks opening time).

The Mickey and Friends Security check is decent and large, the minor rerouting still leaves 4 tram load/unload areas (two were relocated). Escalators and restrooms are outside the security zone.

To avoid using the tram, you now walk west to the end of the tram roadway,and then head straight south towards the Disneyland Hotel, and use the sidewalk next to the Downtown Disney Parking gates, and then enter next to the ESPN Zone (which is in the secure area).

The West side of ESPN Zone (which is the main entrance for the DLR and PPH) is large, wide and open (16 stations). Sets of 2 bag checks, with one Metal Detector to be shared, and everyone goes through it.

As for the Grand Californian, they are making sure that the PPH guests (or off-property) don't use the GCH entrance. At the corner on Disneyland Drive, there were three GCH CM's and one Security CM checking room keys, and even had a printout of reservations for the restaurants. Those who don't are told to head north and use the ESPN Zone entrance into DtD. This makes both the special DCA entrance and the GCH entrance next to Sephora only available for GCH guests, and those with a paid receipt from a GCH Restaurant. But anyone can exit from DtD at the GCH Sephora security check, and then walk to the PPH or anything else they want to do.

The pathway from the M&F tram unload area to the east side of Disneyland Drive now has a set of gates that can open for emergency egress, but not allow anyone to use it normally. So to walk to the M&F Structure, you need to go through DtD to the ESPN Zone and head north to the structure.

Here is a set of photos and short videos (also includes Star Wars Land construction, GCH Gingerbread House, and a look at the Carousel Inn.)

https://darkbeer.smugmug.com/Disneyland-Resort-12152016/

Well., even TSA had something like a 95% fail rate with those scanners...so IMO, they're not really all that reliable.
I'm sure you meant to quote a much smaller fail percentage rate. Didn't you?

The actual fail rate was 96%, so she was very close...

http://www.investors.com/politics/e...e-airport-security-worse-than-private-system/

>>On Monday, Politico broke the news that the federally run TSA has spent $160 million — or more than $150,000 per unit — on body scanners meant to prevent fliers from bringing contraband onto planes.

And what did taxpayers get for their money?

A recent security audit found that TSA scanners failed to stop explosives and weapons 96% of the time.

Sen. Ron Johnson said that the scanners "weren't even catching metal." That's worse than the TSA did in 2004-05, when it screening process missed "only" 70% of the time.<<

One thing that I know that venues do, is adjusting how sensitive the device is,they will lower it when they expect large crowds and a threat level is low, but raise it when volume is low, to keep up appearances and make sure it looks like they are finding thns on a regular basis. So the "Show" factor is part of the game, and appearances is one of the ways the enforce security.

So, the story is totally at odds with my frequent experience at the airports. 100% of the time they find my water bottle. I always see TSA stopping folks who set off the scanner because they forgot to take out their cell phone or car keys. Anybody that flies knows that this headline is simply click bait.

So, the story is totally at odds with my frequent experience at the airports. 100% of the time they find my water bottle. I always see TSA stopping folks who set off the scanner because they forgot to take out their cell phone or car keys. Anybody that flies knows that this headline is simply click bait.

I know getting political is a no-no here,and I agree with the rule, but I think most folks would agree that the TSA has had some serious problems and flaws.

And that 95% failure rate led to the head of TSA losing his job in 2015.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...s-us-airports-allowed-weapons-through-n367851

But I think we should get on track and discuss the Disneyland Security situation.

When I went Thursday, I found two issues with Security, one I expected and confirmed,and that Disney knows about, and is just the way it is until other things get changed. There was a second one I didn't expect, and I did contact someone I know at Disneyland Security and told him what I figured out. And I won't share the "thing" I found here or elsewhere, the powers that are in charge now know about it, and I presume they will fix the matter. No need to make it public.

I'm sure you meant to quote a much smaller fail percentage rate. Didn't you?

There is some confusion over what the 95% fail rate meant. It doesn't mean 95% of the bad stuff gets through, as widely reported.

2015, 70 facilities were tested. How many items were attempted at each facility is not public knowledge. In those tests, 67 of the facilities missed at lest one item, which got reported as a 95% fail rate (though 95.7 should round to 96%

Yes, 96% of facilities allowed "at least one" item through. BUT, how many were attempted at each facility?

A recent security audit found that TSA scanners failed to stop explosives and weapons 96% of the time.

Reported by people that don't understand statistics. 67 of 70 facilities allowed at least one item through, but there was more than one item tested at each facility.

If Disney allows one glass jar in every day, do they have a 100% failure rate, even if they stop 99% of the glass jars each day?

They let in a single glass jar yesterday.. fail. They let in a single glass jar today... fail. Then let in a single glass jar tomorrow... fail. 100% fail rate because at least 1 glass jar makes it in per day.

OR: they stopped 999 out of 1000 yesterday. They stopped 999 out of 1000 today. They stopped 999 our of 1000 tomorrow. 99.9% success rate.

Because people that write headlines need to shock, and people that read the full story don't understand "at least one item made it through, at 67 of the 70 facilities tested, DOES NOT mean that TSA missed 96% of the bad stuff. You have to know how many items were attempted at each facility (at least one, is still pretty good if they are doing 100,000 items per facility test), and the actual number that got through ("at least 1" could make it seem better than if they missed 5 out of 20 on average).

In short, saying 67 of 70 facilities allowed at least 1 item through, doesn't tell us anything about what % of items TSA catches other than it is less than 100%.

This thread may be sent to the corn field soon, but as long as it goes on, this tells us something (but nothing to do with Disneyland, which doesn't use TSA or the same equipment):
9 of 12: one airport

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter