• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Security to enter the parks is the absolute worst. THE WORST

We were told last night when using the GCH entrance to re-enter DCA that as of Dec. 15 (when the new west security checkpoint opens) that the GCH entrance will only be for GCH guests. Interestingly, when the metal detector backed way up late night, they took a large chunk of the line and just waved us all through after bag check.

I have only used the GCH entrance in late afternoon/evening after going to the lobby to rest or to eat at Whitewater Snacks. Despite staying at the PPH several times, I walk through the GCH and then exit into DTD to use the main entrance.

PHXscuba

Is there something on the key that signifies where you are staying? That was one issue mentioned above, otherwise there's no way they can prevent you from going thru.

As a VGC owner, the selfish part of me wants to see the exits restricted to GC guests, but I can see the problem for Paradise Pier guests.

Is there something on the key that signifies where you are staying? That was one issue mentioned above, otherwise there's no way they can prevent you from going thru.

As a VGC owner, the selfish part of me wants to see the exits restricted to GC guests, but I can see the problem for Paradise Pier guests.

We've stayed at all 3 onsite hotels and from what I can remember the room key colours are different. It's blue for DLH, and I think it's yellow for PPH. I honestly can't remember the colour of GCH

Disney can very easily add a symbol,or just "GCH" next to your name and dates of stay when they print your room key. Pretty sure Disney has already figured out what they will do.

You also have the issue of those eating at the GCH, I presume a receipt dated with today's date will be acceptable, especially after the morning rush.

We've stayed at all 3 onsite hotels and from what I can remember the room key colours are different. It's blue for DLH, and I think it's yellow for PPH. I honestly can't remember the colour of GCH

That isn't true. We have also stayed at all 3 and they are blue for regular rooms and gold for club level. But like was mention above, it wouldn't be hard for them to print the hotel name on them.

We only use that entrance into DCA in the afternoon/evening and I'd hope they'd still allow it at slower times. In the morning, it's not worth it even when you're staying at the GCH. We will see in a few days though.

...You also have the issue of those eating at the GCH, I presume a receipt dated with today's date will be acceptable, especially after the morning rush.

I wonder how this issue will be handled. We often use the GCH entrance to DCA after dining at NR.

Disney can very easily add a symbol,or just "GCH" next to your name and dates of stay when they print your room key. Pretty sure Disney has already figured out what they will do.
Many different lines of text are already selectively printed on DLR keys: DVC MEMBER, SELF PARKING, VALET PARKING...
So it will be trivial to add another line.

DLR also uses a second key design to indicate Club Level (concierge lounge) access:
Currently Gold Keys are used, during the Diamond Celebration it was Minnie.
A new key design could easily be created.
Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 10.08.16 PM.png

Yep.... I have been unofficially told that they will be limiting the GCH entrances to just GCH guests. Personally, I think for DLH guests, the entrance by EOS will be easier, but will wait and see. But I see PPH guests will have a much longer walk.

Well, we're out then. I won't backtrack just to enter DTD, then walk all the way though DTD every single time we enter or leave a park.

And yes, I understand there are probably 10 people waiting to take my place.

I can only do what's right for us.

Let's compare the two walks...

The route from the PPH to the Main Entrance Plaza using the new Security checkpoint next to the ESPN Zone. (6/10 of a mile)

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6995512

And the "shortcut" that went though the GCH. (.45 of s mile)

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6995513

So .15 of a mile.

And that is only needed for when headed to the parks, you can always use the GCH shortcut returning from the parks to the Hotel.

Let's compare the two walks...

The route from the PPH to the Main Entrance Plaza using the new Security checkpoint next to the ESPN Zone. (6/10 of a mile)

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6995512

And the "shortcut" that went though the GCH. (.45 of s mile)

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6995513

So .15 of a mile.

And that is only needed for when headed to the parks, you can always use the GCH shortcut returning from the parks to the Hotel.

I appreciate that. I do. But it was far enough as it was. I'm not backtracking. But I'm obstinate that way.

I also enjoyed the walk through GCH. It also gave some shelter on cold or wet days.

Disney has never advertised the "GCH Shortcut", so to them, expecting guests to head north to the ESPN Zone walking past the DLH is nothing out of the ordinary. And if a few guests decide to not book at the PPH, based on room capacity percentages, there are plenty of other folks that are willing to pay the current Disney prices for the Hotel.

Forgive my questions - a newbie here...only been to DL once and stayed at VGC...but what do they mean by the following below if not to advertise that one of the benefits of staying at GCH is the theme park entrance? Wouldn't it mean that it's suppose to be a shortcut?:
What Makes This Resort Hotel Unique

grand-californian-01.jpg

Special Theme Park Entrance
With valid park admission, easily access Disney California Adventure Park and the Downtown Disney District thanks to a convenient entrance located on the hotel grounds.

The comments are referring to the fact that they did advertise that all Disney Hotel Guests got to use the perk, so the Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier Hotel. Looks like as of Thursday, only those staying at GCH (and the VGC) get to use the special entrances that exit the GCH.

All Disney Hotel guests will get the Extra Magic Hour, but will have to use the Main Entrance Plaza turnstiles.

So the changes don't effect the GCH, though the waits in the early morning to enter DCA directly from GCH might be shorter.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize that the feature was also offered for the other DL onsite resorts. Perhaps the heading "What Makes This Resort Hotel Unique" confused me in assuming it was specific to that particular resort.

I also didn't realize that it was open to other DL guests. When we stayed there, there was no wait or line ups. It looked pretty quiet, but that may have been because we don't go at rope drop.

I appreciate that. I do. But it was far enough as it was. I'm not backtracking. But I'm obstinate that way.

I also enjoyed the walk through GCH. It also gave some shelter on cold or wet days.

I'm with you. I certainly won't pick PPH Concierge over DLH standard anymore. I'm likely to just move off site. That extra hour everyday is worth a ton to me but its not worth the extra money, plus the extra walking and I really dislike the GCH for my family. I flat out won't stay there at any price if there are other decent option. I'm still not sure I understand. I never used the DCA park entrance at GCH to enter the park. So I don't cae about that. But I always used the Sephora entrance to DTD. Only GCH guests get to use that to enter the DTD also?

After staying a mile away this past week, I decided that I will only stay onsite or across the street on harbor (until they change the parking and entry on that side). I must have really bad timing, because I had absolute clusterfluffs with trying to get to and from the parks.

I opted to drive (big mistake) because I have parking with my AP and thought I'd appreciate having a car at the end of the day. Since I was headed for the parks around 9am, I thought I'd be able to park in Mickey and Friends. Apparently, I got there right when they started rerouting everyone to Toy Story. When I got into the parking lot, I was given a yellow paper that says I was parked in Katella Lot. They had me park in Jessie area and then walk to the Bambi(?) lot to catch the bus. The lines were pretty long for the buses, but I am always willing to stand and that always gets me ahead of the line because most people would rather wait for another bus so they can sit down. They dropped us off at the furthest space they could from security. The security lines were very long. It was 10:15 when I was able to get to the DCA entrance, so over an hour from trying to park at Mickey and Friends.

At the end of the day, the lines for the Toy Story buses were wrapped around the bus drop off area and there weren't any buses picking up. I decided to just walk back to the lot since it would be quicker than waiting in that line. I need to accept that DL is never going to be a place where I can just pop in for a couple hours or just stop off to have a meal when I am passing through ever again. Those days were great, but long gone. So, now, I will pay the big bucks to stay onsite or stay in close walking distance or just not go.

But I always used the Sephora entrance to DTD. Only GCH guests get to use that to enter the DTD also?

That's the way I understand what has been said here. By virtue of the new security they are setting up, that will now become a security checkpoint, so I imagine they want to make traffic lighter there.

That's the way I understand what has been said here. By virtue of the new security they are setting up, that will now become a security checkpoint, so I imagine they want to make traffic lighter there.
I wonder if on magic mornings, if they will make you wait at the DTD security entrance from GCH until the turnstyles open or will they let you leave and then just hold you at the area that is currently security. Guess they have to let you out to go to Starbucks or wherever. Guess we shall see how all this pans out.

I wonder if on magic mornings, if they will make you wait at the DTD security entrance from GCH until the turnstyles open or will they let you leave and then just hold you at the area that is currently security. Guess they have to let you out to go to Starbucks or wherever. Guess we shall see how all this pans out.
I haven't heard anything about the actual entrance turnststyles changing. So I would imagine it will be the same as it is now, where you can go through security early and wait at the turnstyles if you're using the main entrance. The only reason they don't start security early at the GCH DCA entrance is because there's not much space to hold people until park opening.

The only difference would be that if you're in DTD really early (before they run the morning security sweep), you would have to leave and re-enter after the sweep. That is, unless they're going to keep the secure area going 24/7.

When I stay at PP, I always walk to DTD to enter. I did not think that was a too terrible a walk ony 5 minutes. Going through GCH is very crowded and lots of twists and turns. I have stayed at GCH and stood in the horrible line only once to enter the park at the internal entrance. The line was from the turnstiles wrapped down the sidewalk , past Storytellers, to the Hotel entrance and into the lobby. Never tried that again.
As I understand it, all of DTD will be secure now and you can come and go anywhere without going through security again. Just when you leave to the various hotels. I think this will be a better solution than the small areas they currently have.

That isn't true. We have also stayed at all 3 and they are blue for regular rooms and gold for club level. But like was mention above, it wouldn't be hard for them to print the hotel name on them.

We only use that entrance into DCA in the afternoon/evening and I'd hope they'd still allow it at slower times. In the morning, it's not worth it even when you're staying at the GCH. We will see in a few days though.
Ahhh!!! That makes sense. We've only stayed club level when we stayed at PPH. Thank you for clarifying

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter