Secrets, Tips and Tricks for Alaska Cruises

I think you are right. How do we get tickets to the princess gathering? Do they have Anna and Elsa in Alaska?

We were on the Magic in Oct. and went to the customer service desk right when we arrived on the ship. They only had one slot left for the princess gathering. Those tickets went really quick.

Sorry I meant poncho. Lol I am so thankful they give those out. I called WDW yesterday to see if I could buy 25 for our group and have them shippedto me. I was told they could only sell up to 24 at a time so I told her I would get a final head count and call back. It was going to be over 200.00. I am glad I found this thread!!!

Walmart sells them cheap. We picked up a few on our way to WDW in November. Can't remember the price, but it was significantly cheaper than Dis.

Jodie

We will be in Juneau on August 7th on the Wonder. I am getting ready to book Harv and Marv's for whale watching.

The tours are 4.5 hours long. Is there a better time of day for this... early, midday, or afternoon?

We will be in Juneau on August 7th on the Wonder. I am getting ready to book Harv and Marv's for whale watching.

The tours are 4.5 hours long. Is there a better time of day for this... early, midday, or afternoon?

They will drop you off at the Mendenhall glacier after your tour if you'd like. We had planned to do the early tour just so we'd have some time at Mendenhall. There is bus service back to the port from Mendenhall. If you do the earliest time, then you would need to grab some food before you arrive at Mendenhall (from what I've read, there is no food sold there, and they prohibit food due to possible bear issues). Hot Bite shack has food at the harbor or Deharts convenience store for deli style stuff.

Jodie

We have been going back and forth about that as well. We are currently booked at 9:30 and are debating on switching to the 6:30 slot. Kim from Harv and Marv said that there wasn't a difference as far as the best time to see whales. It just depends on how much you want to see that day in Juneau. If you want to be spend more time at Mendenhall Glacier I would book the eirlier time slot

We did the early morning WW (I think 7:30 am) and then had them drop us off at the Glacier afterwards. I wanted plenty of time to walk out to the falls, etc. As it turned out, it was raining quite a bit but we still completed the walk. Then we just caught one of the buses back into town.

If we had done the later WW, I would have been worried about getting back in time. Our all aboard time was 4:30 so that didn't give up much extra time if we did the later WW. I didn't want to chance the buses being full and having to wait (or try to get a cab at the last minute).

What kind of whales do you get to see with Harv and Marv at Juneau? Trying to choose between whale watching in Alaska or Vancouver. Vancouver whale watching is for Orcas and from what I've read Alaska is a lot of Humpbacks.

What kind of whales do you get to see with Harv and Marv at Juneau? Trying to choose between whale watching in Alaska or Vancouver. Vancouver whale watching is for Orcas and from what I've read Alaska is a lot of Humpbacks.

Alot people said they saw both the Humback and Orcas. You can also see Bald Eagels and Sea Lions. From what I understand, and anyone correct me if I am wrong.The Orcas in Vancouver are smaller.

We booked the early time for our cruise in June because we want to be able to spend time in town and at the glacier.

We went whale watching in Juneau and were lucky enough to see a pod of Orcas. We saw lots of humpback whales from the ship.

We are traveling with DD who will be almost 2. Are there any excursions that someone would recommend? I think she would love one of the Dog Camps because she loves animals, but don't think being stuck on a boat for 3 hours would be good. Any other ideas or suggestions? TIA

http://www.harvandmarvs.com/FAQ.html per the website they say 100% of trips they have seen humpbacks and 20%of trips orcas. Off of vancouver and seattle seem like good waters for orcas.

We saw bears in Ketchikan. We did "Bear Country and Wildlife Expedition" through Disney. It was awesome. We saw a ton of bears and got to feed reindeer.
I want to do that one, but my mom is 70yo and she have heart problems. Does that tour required a lot of effort?

I want to do that one, but my mom is 70yo and she have heart problems. Does that tour required a lot of effort?
I don't think it did. There is some walking but not a ton. That being said, there's really no place to sit down the whole time either. The area where we saw the bears was on elevated platforms and bridges. I don't remember what the stairs looked like, but there had to have been stairs to get up there. So if she has trouble with stairs or standing for a long time, it may not be for her. Good luck!

Walmart sells them cheap. We picked up a few on our way to WDW in November. Can't remember the price, but it was significantly cheaper than Dis.
I got 2 Disney (Mickey &Minnie )youth ponchos (one size) at Walmart for $3.97each.

linetbo, If you read the excursions detail, each will tell you how the activity is, mild, but, walking etc.
Good luck, I'm sure there will be lots for your mom to do..

From someone who lives here...the weather can be completely unpredictable. We had a very mild winter with hardly any snow in Anchorage so you never know what summer will bring. Layers and a good waterproof jacket are your friend. Also if you go off hiking on your own (ie around Mt Roberts in Juneau) just remember there can be bears so make lots of noise as you walk around and you should be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter