• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Secrets, Tips and Tricks for Alaska Cruises

We spent four days pre cruise in Victoria,Vancouver Island and really enjoyed our time there. We loved Butchart Gardens and afternoon tea at the Empress hotel. My favourite tour was the train in Skayway and my DH loved salmon fishing in Ketchikan.

Staying at the Shangri-La hotel. Where can I eat with a picky teen eater. She likes hamburguers, sandwiches, chicken. We have sea food allergies.

Go one block south to Robson... lots of restaurant choices there. He might find something of interest there.

Milestone would be one suggestion that comes to mind.

I booked the Fairmont Airport hotel through Southwest airlines, paying around $250.00 American (including taxes), I had to pre-pay. My DS22 is flying Southwest from Denver to Seattle and when I booked his airfare they asked if I wanted any hotel reservations and I said, yes, I do, ...

I booked the Fairmont Airport hotel through Southwest airlines, paying around $250.00 American (including taxes), I had to pre-pay. My DS22 is flying Southwest from Denver to Seattle and when I booked his airfare they asked if I wanted any hotel reservations and I said, yes, I do, ...

Thank you so so much! I just booked the hotel thru Southwest Airlines and paid $266.00 including taxes and fees. I truly appreciate ythat ur taking the time to post this...you saved me at least $60.00

Does anyone know if you need to have a reservation to park at Canada place? I have gone online and I know you can make a reservation but I didn't know if it is a necessity.

If you are parking for a few hours for pickup/drop off.... no reservations required. Just drive -in, but will be busy.

I believe you need to reserve the cruise ship parking in advance to get the 18.10/day CDN rate, otherwise the rate is 23.00/day.

Is there still a bag storage service at Canada Place? I found an old link, but the site hadn't been updated in quite a while and I was unable to reach by phone. Looking for a place to leave our bags while we do some sightseeing on debarkation day... Suggestions?

Hi, we are from South America so not used to cold weather. We are going to Alaska late july. Do you think an ultra light down uniqlo jacket will do? Or do I need something warmer?

Just got back from Alaska...did not wear my coat once, not even on the glaciers. I did layer and had a pretty warm sweatshirt a couple of days. But watch the weather. It has been unseasonably warm, and go with it. DO NOT OVERPACK! And know Canada Place is nothing like Port Canaveral. It is a complete zoo. Multiple ships, multiple customs, multiple lines. Just be patient and know it will be a zoo.

Parkas? It was a clear plastic "poncho" with a hood. Here's a pic...
http://www.disneydispatch.com/conte.../2011/28-Disney-Park-Rain-Ponchos/poncho1.JPG

The only one that got a Parka was Minnie.Hmm... I would say yes for the Salmon BBQ. It's 31 miles in and 31 miles out of Tracey Arm. From what I remember.... the BBQ starts just after you enter the arm around 10:30am and I think it finishes before you get to see the glacier around 1:30pm.

It gets kinda confusing.... get your plates and food in the Beach buffet. Then walk your food onto the stern to join another line for the Salmon (hard to find in the crowds). Hopefully you have a nice sunny day for your Tracey Arm trip as in this picture.... http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/06/a-look-at-disney-cruise-lines-taste-of-alaska-menu/

My August trip was wet and they had to move the BBQ's under a dripping cover.

Do they provide ponchos for babies/small children (1-2 year olds)?

Just got back from Alaska...did not wear my coat once, not even on the glaciers. I did layer and had a pretty warm sweatshirt a couple of days. But watch the weather. It has been unseasonably warm, and go with it. DO NOT OVERPACK! And know Canada Place is nothing like Port Canaveral. It is a complete zoo. Multiple ships, multiple customs, multiple lines. Just be patient and know it will be a zoo.
I read on another post to allow an hour before PAT in order to get through customs. Do you think this is about right?

I read on another post to allow an hour before PAT in order to get through customs. Do you think this is about right?
It's longer at noon.... shorter if you wait to 1:30 or later.... but you miss the lunch trough (that closes at 2pm?)... that you paid for.

It's longer at noon.... shorter if you wait to 1:30 or later.... but you miss the lunch trough (that closes at 2pm?)... that you paid for.

So if I have an 11:00 boarding time and also want to try and upgrade rooms, what time should I get to the port?

Jodie

11am boarding time? I would focus arriving around 9:45am.

Room upgrades? Depending on your date... I think it may be a sell out making upgrades difficult.

11am boarding time? I would focus arriving around 9:45am.

Room upgrades? Depending on your date... I think it may be a sell out making upgrades difficult.

Yeah - I figure it will be a long shot on the upgrade (our cruise is sold out already). Not a big deal if we don't get it, but I'd like to try. We're staying at the Westin about a mile from the port. There will be 6 of us. I suppose I should arrange for a cab in advance to ensure there is one large enough for all 6 of us?? I'm assuming we can have the Westin do that for us the night before? If we have to take 2 cabs, thats not a big deal but figure one large cab would cost less. Thoughts?

Jodie

To clarify... Which Westin?

Yes those luggage friendly minivan cabs are very popular when cruise loading comes around. Dual cabs are quicker and more flexible, but a single minivan means you can stay together for 5 minutes longer.

To clarify... Which Westin?

Yes those luggage friendly minivan cabs are very popular when cruise loading comes around. Dual cabs are quicker and more flexible, but a single minivan means you can stay together for 5 minutes longer.

The Westin Bayshore - down by Stanley Park. We got a great deal. We're there 3 nights and I love that location! Stanley Park is calling my name . . .

Jodie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter