Secrets, Tips and Tricks for Alaska Cruises

Thank you for all the wonderful tips so far!!!

We booked for August 2016, so still a long way to go, but can never start too early!

We will be traveling with out then 6 and 8 year old daughters. There are so many tours offered that Im having an incredibly hard time deciding what to pick!.
For those who have travelled with kids, which have been your favorites tours and which ones would you not repeat?

Thanks!

Thank you for all the wonderful tips so far!!!

We booked for August 2016, so still a long way to go, but can never start too early!

We will be traveling with out then 6 and 8 year old daughters. There are so many tours offered that Im having an incredibly hard time deciding what to pick!.
For those who have travelled with kids, which have been your favorites tours and which ones would you not repeat?

Thanks!

We are considering an Alaska cruise for August 2016 and our daughters would be the same age as yours - one thing that is making me hesitate is that I'm not sure there are enough excursions for the 'younger' set (not sure I want to take my 6 year old out on a glacier LOL) so I, too, am wondering if there are excursions that would be good for small children.

Checking out this thread...we did the Alaska cruise in 2012...with our kids - then aged 6 and 9. It was amazing. I definitely second the tips about looking into booking your own tours outside of the ship. Not only is it cheaper...but we found it wayyyy annoying to have to wait for everyone in one of the auditoriums to be led out like kindergarteners off the ship to start the tour. It took forever and the kids got impatient...and there was inevitably some late folks who the whole tour group had to wait for. That said...it was our first cruise and we felt more comfortable booking through the ship because it was just easier and somehow you had some comfort in knowing the ship wouldn't leave without you lol. But again...after talking to some tour operators - they said they all take great pains to make sure no one misses the ship because it looks really bad on them if people miss the ship too.

We went when our son was 5 and he loved it. Unfortunately, he doesn't remember a lot of it now 3 years later, but that's ok - we'll just have to go back. He loved all the excursions - we did Chilkoot Charters in Skagway (the dog cart ride was a kick!), the Bear Country excursion in Ketchikan (got to feed reindeer and walk on suspension bridges over bears), and the Best of Juneau (we saw tons of whales on the cruise and he had a great time at the glacier touching the ice). Looking back through our photobook, the kid has a huge smile in every picture. It was, hands down, my favorite vacation! We sailed out of Seattle and since my DH and I used to live there, that was fun too. We also bought "Larry Gets Lost in Seattle" and "Larry Gets Lost in Alaska" and those were great fun to read on the trip (especially seeing so many sights that were in the book in Seattle).

Checking out this thread...we did the Alaska cruise in 2012...with our kids - then aged 6 and 9. It was amazing. I definitely second the tips about looking into booking your own tours outside of the ship. Not only is it cheaper...but we found it wayyyy annoying to have to wait for everyone in one of the auditoriums to be led out like kindergarteners off the ship to start the tour. It took forever and the kids got impatient...and there was inevitably some late folks who the whole tour group had to wait for. That said...it was our first cruise and we felt more comfortable booking through the ship because it was just easier and somehow you had some comfort in knowing the ship wouldn't leave without you lol. But again...after talking to some tour operators - they said they all take great pains to make sure no one misses the ship because it looks really bad on them if people miss the ship too.

its so good to hear about other families that have made the trip!

We went when our son was 5 and he loved it. Unfortunately, he doesn't remember a lot of it now 3 years later, but that's ok - we'll just have to go back. He loved all the excursions - we did Chilkoot Charters in Skagway (the dog cart ride was a kick!), the Bear Country excursion in Ketchikan (got to feed reindeer and walk on suspension bridges over bears), and the Best of Juneau (we saw tons of whales on the cruise and he had a great time at the glacier touching the ice). Looking back through our photobook, the kid has a huge smile in every picture. It was, hands down, my favorite vacation! We sailed out of Seattle and since my DH and I used to live there, that was fun too. We also bought "Larry Gets Lost in Seattle" and "Larry Gets Lost in Alaska" and those were great fun to read on the trip (especially seeing so many sights that were in the book in Seattle).

Im hoping my girls will have as much fun as your son had! And its wonderful that you have a good reason for going back!

Thanks for all the tips. We are trying to finalize plans for our August trip and it is so overwhelming. Excited to read all your tips!

Can anyone comment about the insects in early June? Do we need repellent or will it do any good?

Xlxo, are you out there??? Food/grocery question. We are spending 10 nights pre-cruise traveling on our own around Canada. After landing in Vancouver, we plan to stop at the grocery store on our way to Whistler. After our 3 nights in Whistler, we are taking the ferry over to Vancouver island and heading to Tofino for 3 nights. Where is the best place to stop for groceries on our way to Tofino? We have a kitchen there and will be cooking all meals. I've read where the stores in Tofino (and Ucluelet) are small and more expensive. Is there a good grocery store in Nanaimo, as that would be a logical place to stop? I'm wondering if we should plan on stocking up on our Vancouver grocery stop for all 6 nights instead of planning a stop between Whistler and Tofino. Thoughts?

I love Tofino! Most Americans have never heard of the place unless you are a surfer. Don't forget to visit Cathedral Grove just east of Port Alberni on your way to Tofino. This is the grove of 800+ year old trees shown in the Oh Canada film at the Canada pavilion in EPCOT. If you have a Costco membership there is a Costco in Nanaimo that you can shop for some grocery items. Also check out the Old Country Market in Coombs. They had an excellent selection of cheeses and you can't miss the Goats on the roof of the market. Just be aware that after you leave Port Alberni on Hwy 4 there is nothing, and I mean nothing, for about 120 kilometers (75 miles) until you get to Tofino.

Food/grocery question. We are spending 10 nights pre-cruise traveling on our own around Canada. After landing in Vancouver, we plan to stop at the grocery store on our way to Whistler. After our 3 nights in Whistler, we are taking the ferry over to Vancouver island and heading to Tofino for 3 nights. Where is the best place to stop for groceries on our way to Tofino? We have a kitchen there and will be cooking all meals. I've read where the stores in Tofino (and Ucluelet) are small and more expensive. Is there a good grocery store in Nanaimo, as that would be a logical place to stop? I'm wondering if we should plan on stocking up on our Vancouver grocery stop for all 6 nights instead of planning a stop between Whistler and Tofino. Thoughts?
I've only been in Tofino once... Thoughts...
  • Whistler?
    • I would load up supplies at the Richmond Costco on Bridgeport.
    • Superstore is a second choice if you find the Costco parking lot to be busy.
    • There's the Marketplace IGA in Whister if you need to restock
  • Tofino?
    • In addition to Costco... Save-On foods and Thrifty are other supermarket choices in Nanaimo
    • Port Alberni (2 hrs from Tofino) offers Walmart, Save-On, and Buy-Low
Hope you plan to be back on the mainland a few days before the cruise.... those ferries are extremely busy on weekend afternoons and evenings. Don't want to miss the boat because of a ferry.

I love Tofino! Most Americans have never heard of the place unless you are a surfer. Don't forget to visit Cathedral Grove just east of Port Alberni on your way to Tofino. This is the grove of 800+ year old trees shown in the Oh Canada film at the Canada pavilion in EPCOT. If you have a Costco membership there is a Costco in Nanaimo that you can shop for some grocery items. Also check out the Old Country Market in Coombs. They had an excellent selection of cheeses and you can't miss the Goats on the roof of the market. Just be aware that after you leave Port Alberni on Hwy 4 there is nothing, and I mean nothing, for about 120 kilometers (75 miles) until you get to Tofino.

Thank you for the tips! Don't want to miss goats on a roof for sure!

Jodie

I've only been in Tofino once... Thoughts...
  • Whistler?
    • I would load up supplies at the Richmond Costco on Bridgeport.
    • Superstore is a second choice if you find the Costco parking lot to be busy.
    • There's the Marketplace IGA in Whister if you need to restock
  • Tofino?
    • In addition to Costco... Save-On foods and Thrifty are other supermarket choices in Nanaimo
    • Port Alberni (2 hrs from Tofino) offers Walmart, Save-On, and Buy-Low
Hope you plan to be back on the mainland a few days before the cruise.... those ferries are extremely busy on weekend afternoons and evenings. Don't want to miss the boat because of a ferry.

Thanks. I like the Walmart option in Port Alberni. Yes - we plan on also spending a night in Victoria and then 3 nights in Vancouver before our cruise (already made ferry reservations). This is a big mega-vacation for us before DS leaves for college in the Fall.

Just wondering if we will have time to fit in Butchart gardens. If we only have 2 hours, is it worth it? We have a 1 pm ferry res (understand i should be in line at noon?). So I was thinking we might check out of our Victoria hotel and stop at Butchart on the way.

Also, are there any good not to miss sights on our drive from Tofino to Victoria (other than Cathedral Grove).

Jodie

Yes - we plan on also spending a night in Victoria and then 3 nights in Vancouver before our cruise (already made ferry reservations). This is a big mega-vacation for us before DS leaves for college in the Fall.

Just wondering if we will have time to fit in Butchart gardens. If we only have 2 hours, is it worth it? We have a 1 pm ferry res (understand i should be in line at noon?). So I was thinking we might check out of our Victoria hotel and stop at Butchart on the way.

Also, are there any good not to miss sights on our drive from Tofino to Victoria (other than Cathedral Grove).

Jodie
Hmm...
  • I say yes, Butchart is worth the effort. Yes, get up early to check out the park pre-ferry, or go there the day before.
  • I would not have bothered with a 1pm reservation to the mainland. More likely needed on weekends or evenings.
Stops I would take Tofino to Victoria...

Last edited:
Hmm...
  • I say yes, Butchart is worth the effort. Yes, get up early to check out the park pre-ferry, or go there the day before.
  • I would not have bothered with a 1pm reservation to the mainland. More likely needed on weekends or evenings.
Stops I would take Tofino to Victoria...

Excellent. I will check those out.

Jodie

Anyone know how to get a decent deal at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport? Least expensive I can find with taxes is around $320.00 for the night we disembark....any tips/hints on how to get a better price?

Thanks.

Does it really need to be the Fairmont Airport? There are several nearby airport hotels signficiantly cheaper. I personally like the Raddison for quick access to a subway station across the street.

Thanks for all the great info on this thread, we leave on the June 1, 2015 Alaska trip! Anyone have any tips for traveling with a special needs teen? My daughter is 15yo and has Down Syndrome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter