• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Seating Arrangements

KathleenlovesMickey

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know how a couple is seated at the later dinner. We like children as long as they behave so sitting with a family would be fine but curious on how they handle couples.
Thanks

Last time my hubby and I cruised we were on our honeymoon. We were sat at a table with one other couple. As it turns out we only ate with them once since they ate at Palo on the 1st night and we ate at Palo the 2nd night (we were on the 3 night cruise). I think they try to sit childless couples with other childless couples whenever possible. If you are put in a table you really dislike you can always ask to be moved, try to get into Palo, or eat at one of the other options. But, more likely everything will be fantastic!

We had asked specifically to sit alone before we booked - 6 of going and the first night they had us a long table in the middle for the room with 2 other families. We had it changed for the next few nights.... First they were out of tables, but the dead presidents helped the manager find room.

DH and I just did a four-night in December and we were seated at a table for six with two other couples, no kids at all. One couple was a young man and his mother -- he had given her the cruise for her birthday. Isn't that sweet? They were very nice. The other couple didn't show up the first night or the last night, but they were nice for the dinners that they did go to. I didn't request a table just for two, but may have had we been celebrating an anniversary or something romantic like that. I think that they do try to seat people where they will be most comfortable, but you can always ask for a change if you dislike the seating you were assigned.

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

DH and I were seated with a family with 3 kids (7-12) last cruise. They were well behaved, and there was no problem. It was a bit awkward tho, as we had little in common, and big age differences. (we are in our 50s.)

It's funny. We didn't request anything special on our cruise in October, but our family got a great table for four (DH& I, and DSs 6&7) all by ourselves. In some ways it would have been nice to have met some others, but it was also nice not to worry about those times (which are thankfully few) that my DS isn't quite up to the standards I like.

I think they try to honor most requests, and you can always go check again as soon as you board and they can try to help.

When my mom cruised last February (back 2 back), the adults were generally assigned the latest time at each dining (main and second). While there are some children at the latest seating time it tends to be older kids. My mom and stepdad were seated with 2 other couples -- 1 honeymoon couple and a mother-son team who were older.

One of the rotations is adults sailing alone and older kids. It is usually the latest start time (as the above poster said.)

If you want to be seated alone, first call and make that request. Then after you board, go to "dining changes" and ask to be sure that you got what you requested. If not, again, ask to be changed. It can usually be arranged at this point.

We've been delighted with our seating arrangements. When DD was younger, we were frequently seated with a family with only one child, always a girl and always within a year or 2 of her age. As she became a teen, we are usually seated with adults or families with another single mom/teen combination (or grandmother/teen). Bottom line, if you don't like your dining companions after the first dinner, go to the head of the dining room and request a change. I've never heard of that request not being granted.

I really don't know how they decide seating arrangements. DH and I were on a 7-night and they sat us with two other families, both parents w/1 child (boy ~ 9, girl ~ 13). Fortunately for us, they were all very nice and we had a good time w/them.

I didn't realize you had to share tables when dining. How many people fit at the typical table? We are a family of 4, wondering if we'll get paired with anyone (which I admit will feel odd!).

edit to add: if you're paired with others, do those people stay the same every time you dine? Geesh that might be even more uncomfortable.

I didn't realize you had to share tables when dining. How many people fit at the typical table? We are a family of 4, wondering if we'll get paired with anyone (which I admit will feel odd!).

edit to add: if you're paired with others, do those people stay the same every time you dine? Geesh that might be even more uncomfortable.
with a family of 4, you could be seated by yourselves. The smallest table is a 4 top. Most tables, however are larger. Up to 10 or 12, I think. You are assigned a table # and will have the same tablemates every night.

I don't mind being paired at dinner time. We've always met nice people, and since it's just the two of us, it's particularly nice to have some varied company.

What I don't like is how they pair you up randomly if you go to the dining room for breakfast or lunch. We experienced this on another cruiseline, but I imagine it's standard practice. To me, that was extremely awkward. It seemed that both the other couple and we were surprised by this, and there was about a 40 year age difference.

I have a 4 year old daughter and a 2 year old son. Only once have we been lucky enough to get early seating. We have twice had the 8:00 seating and twice the 8:30 seating, the very latest seating that is supposedly for older children and adults. We've also had childless couples seated at our table. So, it can happen. We've had people who've been seated with us ask to be moved to a table without children and they were accomodated. You never know what you'll get but if you end up with something you don't like, it never hurts to ask to change it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter