Save the Adventurers Club

Nikki - I love all your gifts, especially the shadowbox. That was such a neat idea!

The cups are definitely authentic. They sold those for the last few weeks that the Club was open. There were five different designs: Babylonia, Claude and Arnie, the Yakoose, The Colonel, and "Kungaloosh". They sold each design until it sold out and then moved on to the next one.

I just read this thread and it seriously depressed me.

What depresses me even more is when we were down for almost ten days this past June we kept saying we were going to hit the Adventurer's Club on a number of nights...and it just never happened. If I had known then what was coming only a few months later...we would've spent EVERY night there!!!

Alas...now I'm only left with the what might have been...

Sad news everyone, Sugar Snapp just wrote to me to say that Blondie just found out that Bill, the regular at the club who the Adventurers would always razz for falling asleep, is possibly going to pass away this week. He is at Dr. Phillips hospital, and his wife Jean doesn't really have anyone down here. She needs all the support she can get. Sugar thinks that we all need to stick together and be there for them as only adventurers can! I'll add more info whenever I get it. Please pass the word on.

I had heard that he wasn't doing well. That's so sad! Some of my fondest memories of the Club are of times that Blondie was trying to wake Bill up or joking around because he was asleep. Bill and Jean will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Kungaloosh Adventurers,

It's been a while since last posing, and unfortunately there is no new news about the Adventurer's Club reopening (yet) but I just wanted to post a few items that I have come across in my internet browsing that shows that the Adventurers Club refuses to die:

1) A Facebook event that looks like a promisingly fun day to anyone who may be in the Orlando area May 1st!
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/event.php?eid=80177492135:

20th Anniversary of the Adventurers Club

Start Time: Friday, May 1, 2009 at 12:00pm
End Time: Saturday, May 2, 2009 at 12:00am

20 years ago this May 1st, the Adventurers Club first flung open their doors. The idea has been floated around to see if a bunch of people would like to gather, possibly in Adventurers costumes, and make a general nuisance of ourselves.

Park hopping has been suggested, as I'm sure we'll want to be well seen (to be more annoying to upper management), and because I can't decide if I want a beer from EPCOT or a Pineapple Whip from Adventureland more. A swing by Pleasure Island for photos may happen as well.
More details to come as the date approaches

2) Blondie as Six Bits at the normally unchanging "Hoop-Dee-Doo-Musical Review" sings "Bessie the Heifer"!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUabgGg1uFg

There are new rumors sprouting up almost every week indicating that the Club's re-opening is imminent. So I believe that it is time again to send off a few more letters to the Disney Execs letting them know that Adventure keeps calling our name, and we want our Club back to satisfy the call!

Some days you eat the mouse.
Some days the mouse eats you.
But never give into the mouse without a fight!

KUNGALOOSH!​

I was sent an e-mail from D23 asking me to take a survey to "get to know Disney fans better." There were many multiple choice questions and the last questions said something like, "Is there anything else you think Disney fans want us to know?" I responded that we want the Adventurer's Club back!

I tried.

Kungaloosh Adventurers,

One of my friends down in Florida sent me a picture of a group of revelers at Pleasure Island on its 20th Birthday, raising a toast to the Grand Funmeister himself, Merriweather Adam Pleasure!

Happy20thBirthday.jpg

Apparently they thought that if Disney wasn't going to celebrate Pleasure Island (Even in this year of Celebrate Today) then someone had to, and it might as well be them! Well, I say a hearty Kungaloosh to you good Adventurers!

KUNGALOOSH!

Kungaloosh Adventurers,

It’s been a while since my last post and I wanted to give an update (as far as I know it to be) on the current status of the Club. Rumors have abounded for months as to the Congaloosh at the end of this month being the last hurrah for the Adventurers Club as we know and love it, and it’s insides are being shipped to Hong Kong. However, I recently spoke to an Adventurer who has heard that conventions may be extended to the end of the year. Also on the Save PI Blog there is a rumor that the Club will reopen on January 1st. Another interesting bit of info is that the Club’s roof has recently had tiles repaired and replaced! So, unfortunately there are no concrete answers as of yet to some of these rumors, but we can only hope that if conventions are allowed to continue, there will still be a chance of a reopening. For the moment I leave you with a few park map covers that I hope will one day be used at WDW.

ACMagicKingdomGuideMap.jpg

ACEPCOTGuideMap.jpg

ACMGMGuideMap.jpg

ACAKGuideMap.jpg

ACTLGuideMap.jpg

ACBBGuideMap.jpg

ACDTDGuideMap.jpg

KUNGALOOSH!

Those are great!!

Thanks for the update! Continuing to keep my fingers crossed for the Club!

i just saw this thread and signed the petition (hey better late than never - at least it shows disney that people are still interested!) i had read about the adventures club and always thought what a cool place it was - totally unique, fun, and themed to the utmost. a place where people revisit over and over and you hear nothing but raves about it. i think it's just the sort of place that walt himself would have cherished. my last trip the world was in 2003 - when i was only 17, and being underage i couldn't go. when i read that the adventurer's club was closing i was so devastated. it just seemed so arbitrary to close a place that was such genius.

Marielynn724, I'm sorry you never got to experience the magic of the club, and it's wonderful to see such support from people who have never even been (you're not alone). I'm glad that you "get" the whole thing. It's so unique, I often find myself struggling to explain to people exactly what the Adventurers Club is all about. Unless you've been (and stayed awhile), it's tough to grasp what it's like, as there is nothing else anywhere to compare it to. Luckily there is certainly no lack of videos on YouTube.

And to our ghost host, Master Gracey, great job on those guide maps! :thumbsup2

Kungaloosh Adventurers! It's been a while but I’ve recently heard a story that leads me to believe that one of the best chances of getting our Club back reside in the new Chairman Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, Tom Staggs. The story I was told that gives me hope for this man goes like this:

During one of his first days in his new position, Tom walked into Imagineering and asked them to tell him about the new Fantasyland Expansion. They were most emphatically telling him about the Ariel Dark Ride, Beauty and the Beast Restaurant, all the Princess Meet and Greets and Pixie Hollow, when he cut them off and said, “No”! He went on to tell Imagineering that not in his parks would he allow the possibility of a five year old boy, waiting in a three hour line for an autograph of Cinderella, just because his sister wants one! He then asked what was broken ground on so far and was told that Ariel’s Dar Ride and the Beauty and the Beast Restaurant. He said to finish those, but everything else, scrap and start again!

I believe if a gutsy man like this is in charge of Parks and Resorts he can correct one of Jay Rasulo’s biggest mistakes (A.K.A. The closing of the Adventurers Club and all of Pleasure Island) if he is shown that the public still wants our nighttime escape returned. So please, those who wrote so many letters two years ago, (and anyone else who demands the greatest example of true Disney Imagineering to be brought back) once again take pen to paper (or any equivalent there of) and write to:

Thomas O. Staggs
Chairman
Walt Disney Parks & Resorts
C/O Team Disney Building
500 South Buena Vista St.
Burbank, CA 91521-4873

Tom.Staggs@disney.com

The Club may have been gutted, but from what I’ve heard, nothing has been sent to Mystic Point yet, and the artifacts still reside in a warehouse on Walt Disney World property! It still can and should be put back! Let Tom Staggs know that Adventure is out there, we just want it back to 5189 Hill Street!

KUNGALOOSH!

I just thought I should post this link here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VRFDbaEsd4

Someone recreated the whole place in video game version.

I've never spent a lot of time in the club itself but I think this is absofreakinglutely amazing....

Whoever did this really LOVE the place.
Enjoy!

While the idea of bringing the AC back is great, I just cannot see it happening. It has been gutted and plans are already made for everything inside. If the intense phone call and letter writing campaign that occurred before its closing didn't work, I just don't see hope that writing now will. I hope it does though. Good luck!

I just thought I should post this link here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VRFDbaEsd4

Someone recreated the whole place in video game version.

I've never spent a lot of time in the club itself but I think this is absofreakinglutely amazing....

Whoever did this really LOVE the place.
Enjoy!

Wow! Thanks for posting! That's pretty amazing. Very impressive, although it is a bit spooky seeing the club completely empty.

Happy 4th of July Everyone! And for you Pleasure Island Histarians out there:

The story begins in New South Frewsberg, Pennsylvania, on July 4th, 1873. “Gold Rush Gus” Pleasure, free-wheeling millionaire prospector/explorer, paces in his study. A smiling nurse enters and announces the birth of a bouncing baby boy to him and his wife, the former Miss Lydia LaMarr, an early star of the American stage (known professionally as “The American Venus”). The boy is named “Merriweather” after Gus’ own father.
~An exerpt from "The Pleasure Island Papers"​

Happy 137th Birthday, Merriweather Adam Pleasure! My your Island revive this year and once again bring joy to Adventurers everywhere!

AdventurersClubImagineerPortrait021.jpg

M. A. Pleasure

KUNGALOOSH!

Hey everyone I was just wondering if anyone had some info. I know most of the cast is still at WDW in some form or another but I am looking for someone that worked there but wasn't in the cast. His name is Kirk Mcdaniel. He assisted everyone in the library. Last I heard he is still working at WDW but I don't know where. Does anyone have any idea???? He was just a tremendous person to my wife and I would love to see him as he is a GREAT cast member. And that is an understatement. Thanks alot everyone!!!

Hey everyone I was just wondering if anyone had some info. I know most of the cast is still at WDW in some form or another but I am looking for someone that worked there but wasn't in the cast. His name is Kirk Mcdaniel. He assisted everyone in the library. Last I heard he is still working at WDW but I don't know where. Does anyone have any idea???? He was just a tremendous person to my wife and I would love to see him as he is a GREAT cast member. And that is an understatement. Thanks alot everyone!!!

From what i've heard he moved to the Contemporary, i think as a concierge. He is an awesome cast member! I had many great conversations with him at the club and was just thinking about him the other day when I was reminiscing about the club with a friend. There's a thread on the Adventurers Club Yahoo Group about him from back in 2009 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Adventurers_Club/message/11306

I hope he's still with the company, i'd love to go see him when I make it down for a visit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter