S - Th stay?

Always go early on Sunday and leave late on Friday.
That way my 200pts gets me
1x 2 bed OKW = 22x5=110pts
plus
2 x studio OKW = 2x5x8= 80pts

with 10 points to spare

We check in and settle in until it's time to leave. I hate packing up and if I only need to do it once, that's good for me.

We just tried staying in a studio for the high points of Friday & Saturday night. Then moved to a one bed room for the Sunday-Thursday. It worked great.

We were able to book the DDP for just while we were in the studio. We ate at our favorite restaurants on the plan. I made breakfast and a few dinners in the one bed room (full kitchen). This saved us a lot of money. I had packed a whole suitcase of food going down and used it for all those extras we had to bring back. DH won one of the door prizes at the welcome home party!:yay:

We would definitely plan to save our points this way again.:thumbsup2

We fly from the West Coast and my husband "HATES" to switch hotels, therefore, we cough up the extra points for the weekends!:rotfl: We will be staying in Florida for 3 weeks this summer, so it's hard not to get some weekends in there!

When we go for our yearly week long trip, we stay Sun-Thurs and move to another resort for the weekends. We bought in with this expectation as we enjoy the other resorts too much. I can't imagine never staying in the Polynesin again! We do take some long weekend trips in which we sometimes will use points. There may come a day when I get tired of packing up after five days to move to another resort but I have not reached that point in my life as yet.

Thanks! It has been fun reading all the replies. I guess that is one of the learning curves for planning a trip as a DVC member. Right now, I think we might try a couple nights at AKV. I believe a one bedroom will sleep 5.

Well, we have a single 100 point contract at VWL. For our upcoming trip (Thur-Thur), the weekend falls during premiere season and requires 150 points for Fri and Sat in a one bedroom. As it is, we are borrowing points to come up with the 160 points we need for our 5 weeknights. I am paying cash for those 2 weekend nights and it will run slightly under $1000 with taxes. Purchasing an additional 150 points will cost roughly $14,000 ... that is a lot more cash than $1000.
Add that $1000 or more to every trip you take over the life of your DVC contract.

For our spring and fall trips we arrive Sun and depart Fri. For the longer winter trip with family we put the weekend in the middle so we only pay high points for two nights and get to stay for 11-13 nights. We never visit in Magic or Premier season. Last January we tried an AKV studio for our time alone and moved to a 2 BR when the family arrived. That worked well and minimized the necessary points.

Last year we went to Pop on Sat. and then checked in at BWV 1 Bdr Sun-Thursday and went to Vero Beach Fri and Sat. This year we went to VWL in a studio Sun-Tues in Feb. and will do a Sun-Thurs in June at BWV for a standard view 2 bdr. I foresee doing mainly Sun-Thurs or shorter trips. I'd rather do multiple shorter trips and not use high points for Friday and Saturday. I also see adding on points down the road..

We usually stay from Sunday and check out Friday. My DH feels this way we can have another 5 night vacation another time. He has alot of Holiday inn points since he travels and we stay at the Summerfield suites for 2 nights, and go to a water park on one of those days while we are there and to DTD.

We are lucky to live within driving distance, so Sun-Thursday stays are possible. We've done a bunch of things since becoming members:

1. 5-night or less stays (we did 3 nights at HHI last spring break).

2. 12 nights starting on a Sunday and using points for the weekend in the middle.

3. 12 nights paying member cash for the weekend in the middle.

4. 7 nights staying offsite the first weekend.

5. 6 nights using points for one weekend night.

I don't want to "pay" the weekend points. So far we've done a Sun-Thurs stay, weekend nights at CR followed by Sun-Thurs on points, and in August we'll stay on points Sun-Weds nights and then a 3-night cruise. Switching resorts went well & I think we'll do that again. It's a chance to stay at other resorts.

At WDW we always stay a full week on points Sat-Sat. If we decide to fly in on Friday after work, we arrive in FL anywhere between 8-10 depending on when DH can get out. In that case we stay at a value resort, because I am not spending weekend points or deluxe hotel $$$ for the 12 hours we're there.

At HHI, we always stay Sun-Thurs nights and sometimes pay cash for Friday night, sometimes just leave on Friday. HH weekend points are high and we only have 100 points there, so we're already borrowing 10 points each year for the 5 nights forget about the weekends.

We spend weekends at Hard Rock Hotel over at US/IOA... The perk of FOTL is great, esp on the weekends.

We have been traveling a lot with family. Example this summer we will be getting 2 - 2 BR's at OKW from Sun-Thu then 2 - 2 BR's the following week at HH. Trying to figure out where to stay for the weekend. We had to bank/borrow and steal points for this vacation. LOL

I don't have a lot of points, but we are happy with the amount I have 250. And I love to move around on vacation. No big deal to pack and move, we bring so little now with the washer/dryer.

So since we became members in 2002 - we have never used points for a weekend night.

We arrive on a Sat.; stay at Pop or an AS; move over the next morning to a villa; and go home on Friday evening.

Before we were DVC members we noticed that the parks were always busiest on a Saturday so we just check into our room and wait until Sunday.

If we did have to stay over then we would pay cash.

Regina

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter