S - Th stay?

tink_lover

POLKA PRINCESS
New DVC member here with a question - I know it is a lot higher in points to stay on Fri/Sat night, so what do you do? Do you not stay those nights, do you move to the Dolphin/Swan/offsite, or just stay and use a bunch of points? TIA Oh - we are new BCV members

Well what we do is depending on the points we have to work with at that time. We hardly ever stay 7 nights we have a couple of times but not often we stay either 5 or 6 nights mostly 5. Then we will book a Value resort or somewhere like that for our first night or 2.

We tried moving off site a couple times. We added more points, and now we stay weekends.

Lucky me. I drive down and work weekends. I usually only plan to go during the week.

It seems alot of people pay cash for weekend nights, which I will never understand. Why don't they just take that cash and buy more points. Isn't the reason we bought DVC is to not have to pay cash for future vacations?

We usually arrive on Friday night. Our stays have all been in Studios so far (DS is 4 and it's just the 3 of us) but in the future we plan to get a Studio for Friday and Saturday and then move to a 1 bedroom for the remainder of the stay.

fri - sat - stayed offsite
Pop Century
POR

but mostly just go home on Friday.

that say there are lots of timeshares that start on fri,sat or sun.... so Sunday if you are planning on your using your DVC is one to look for....

stay offsite timeshare sun-sun - then go to your DVC.

for years, we would stay at another resort (deluxe with discount) on fr & sat.
then we decided that it just wasn't worth it to us (we like to "settle in"), so we just use points.
it still averages out to much less than what CRO would charge (& we wouldn't be able to get BW view:lovestruc ).

laurie :)

We have begun spending more weekends in DVC, but we are not consistent. Our BCV Flower and Garden stay is 5 nights, but a Wednesday to Monday, with DH only able to come Friday to Sunday, and we really enjoy BCV together, so no moving. In December we stayed on Saturday night in a value AKV studio before moving for 3 nights to VWL. Sometimes we stay in Pop. We bought 280 more points in '07. These help make our 5 night all family trips just a bit longer for us, by giving us a weekend alone, either before or after the crowd comes.

Bobbi:goodvibes

We stayed at POR a first Saturday night ONE TIME....NEVER AGAIN! We bought DVC to stay DVC, and purchased with the "week at a time" idea. Of course, we now rarely stay less than 10 nights, so if we do need to save points, we just drop down to a 1 bedroom or studio for the weekend if we don't have guests.

It seems alot of people pay cash for weekend nights, which I will never understand. Why don't they just take that cash and buy more points. Isn't the reason we bought DVC is to not have to pay cash for future vacations?

Well, I bought DVC in order not to have to pay cash for future vacations, but I never said I would limit my WDW vacations to only the stays I could have using my DVC points. I don't want to have that much money tied up in DVC points - I'm comfortable with what I have bought and what my maintenance fees are, but adding another 150 or so points just to stay 2 nights isn't in my plan.

Also, I didn't buy DVC with the idea that I would only use DVC resorts for the rest of my life. AKV wasn't in the picture when I purchased, but I love the AKL and planned to stay on a weekend in order to get my "fix" there. Now that AKV is a possibility, great for me, but I like the Polynesian and the Grand Floridian, too, and I don't want to use my points to stay there, either.

In other words, it's all about the flexibility. For many DVC owners, their preference is to buy enough points to stay put for as many days as they choose to vacation. But, that's not a requirement, and for others, being able to take two vacations a year by staying DVC on the weekdays and paying cash (especially at a 25% members discount) makes it possible.

There aren't any rules that every DVC owner must follow. That's what I like about it!!!

We stay five nights until we have more points... Sunday - Thursday. Works for us and gives us the points for a second stay.

.and for others, being able to take two vacations a year by staying DVC on the weekdays and paying cash (especially at a 25% members discount) makes it possible.

That explains our cash usage last year. Originally we purchased DVC with the intend of adding on our one week Marriott stays with 5 days at Disney. We didn't really care if we were in a studio or stayed a long time. We had been used to one week commando stays offsite. Getting just a few days onsite to have that experience was enough of a taste. Or so we thought.

Then circumstances contrived to give us our first weekend stay making it an 8 day stay in the warm and beautiful month of May. Of course, Disney seduced us (all those pretty flowers, the warm and accessible pools, long walks in the early morning or twilight, a quick ferry ride to a fancy dinner, and all those extra hours at the park to ride HM).

Suddenly a few days as an afterthought to our offsite stay just wasn't enough. We had to do a week. And oh, we have to bring the rest of the family so we'll ned the bigger rooms. And then we got invited to a New year's Eve date with fireworks, midnight runs through an amusement park, and Disney had us hook, line and sinker.

Two add-ons later, we don't have to pay cash unless we take the entire family down for a grand gathering. (We can't just abandon our May rendezvous or our NYE date for that, can we?)

All in all, I think we've paid about $1000 in extra weekend nights before our add-ons. It was worth it at the time until better deals came around and finances improved.

Oh and don't worry. We haven't ditched our first spouse Marriott. After all, he's taken us to London for 10 days and he's always there for the family. Now we're just happy bigamists with Disney as well.:wizard:

We usually stay Sunday through Friday nights, checking out on Saturdays. When we first purchased we specifically bought enough points for a one bedroom during Presidents Week in Februray Sun - Fri nights, worked out great for us.

When we drive down, 6 nights is really the most we stay. When I fly down, its usually for a three or four night stay and I'll do that over a weekend in a studio......so I guess the answer is weekends when it suits us? But mostly no Saturday nights.

For shorter stays or stays when it is just DH and I we stay Sun through Thurs. in a studio and depart on Friday.
Longer stays and stays when family joins us, we arrive several days ahead of the others and stay in a studio then move to a 2 bedroom on Sunday. The studio saves us a few high-weekend points. We can do laundry once we get settled in our 2 bedroom. Haven't stayed in a 1 bedroom yet...

We check in on Sunday and check out on Friday, my kids love pool at Nick Hotel so we usually move there for Friday night, its a lot of money there too but not as much as a Deluxe.

We have been flying in on Sat staying at SOG (military members) then checking in early on Sunday before hitting the parks and then heading back to the not so fun real world on friday. We have been thinking that it would be nice to add a Friday night stay and heading back on Sat... time for an add on :cool1:

We use points for weekends for a couple of reasons:

We have no desire to move resorts while on "vacation", especially with later check-in times at DVC resorts. Having a toddler really complicates moving - more gear, where to nap, and so on.

Plus, the cost of flying these days makes it more important for us to take less trips, but stay for longer times. We use to take lots of short trips when we were paying $199 each for two of us to fly down. Now that we're paying $300+ each for three of us (someone turns two soon), flying has become a much bigger part of the travel budget.

Im planning our Christmas break trip at SSR right now.

We have decided to stay put for the entire 2 weeks in a 1 bedroom. I added all the points up and divided it by 14. Our 1 bedroom will averagae 37 points a night over Premier Season.

Looking at the Point Chart, Sun - Thur at SSR in a 1 bed is 36 points a night in Premier Season. We have 4 weekend nights in our stay and it adds less than 1 point per night to our average.

I cant even stay in a Deluxe Resort for 370 a night over Christmas. The values will be well over $100 during that time and our only other option is to move offsite which will also cost us closer to $200 a night for something comparable. So to me it is not worth it to pack up and move when you look at the average cost over the nightly cost.

I know this is Peak Season, but an example of why choosing to use weekend points is not always a bad thing when you look at your overall costs. We can unpack, put our tree up and be "home" for 2 weeks and then pack to come home to Texas. I always dread moving day so that works for us.

Brogan, I like your examples as well. That is exactly us!:rotfl:

There is no right or wrong way, just different perspectives to using weekend points. I think its great that we can all share them.

Well, we have a single 100 point contract at VWL. For our upcoming trip (Thur-Thur), the weekend falls during premiere season and requires 150 points for Fri and Sat in a one bedroom. As it is, we are borrowing points to come up with the 160 points we need for our 5 weeknights. I am paying cash for those 2 weekend nights and it will run slightly under $1000 with taxes. Purchasing an additional 150 points will cost roughly $14,000 ... that is a lot more cash than $1000.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter