Rush makes racist comment.

Originally posted by MHopkins2
Well just FTR, I totally disagree with him too. :) Maybe it's just my sunny disposition that's landed me on the respect list?

(That was a JOKE.) ( :) )

Nope, it's because you didn't try and say my opinion was based on me not understanding the situation. I understand the situation and what others are saying are saying but I still disagree.

One last comment - really this time.

I am taking this as Rush saying that black QB's have been overrated for some time now simply because they are black. The idea as I see it is that the media, fans, or maybe only black people have a desire to see these people succeed and that lead to their being overrated.

IMO this is racist. Either he is saying people are wanting players rated over one another based on race or it is just Rush stating his opinion that black players are rated higher over whites when they shouldn't be. I'm going for the later since I am not seeing any others involved in the media or NFL agreeing with take number one.

Why are you reading so much into Rush's statement, trying to figure out his intent? He said what he said. I'll add only this. Jason Sehorn was hyped up because he was a white guy playing a traditionally "black" position- cornerback. For those of you football challenged...that's the defensive player who covers the opposing team's wide receivers.

Anyhow, Sehorn was hyped up for that reason. It took a LONG time before someone had the ba... I mean courage to state what everyone knew...Sehorn was an average CB, and in his last few yrs he was a mediocre to bad CB. He only got hype because he was white.

Now Rush says something similar about a black QB. For the record, I don't happen to agree with him. There are many black QBs these days, so it's not like McNabb needs to be hyped. Vick, McNair, and others are better QBs and guys like Culpepper and Brooks could be better one day. Point being, it's not like the fate of black QBs rests on the shoulders of McNabb. In fact, I don't even think he's ovverated. He's a good QB with no weapons on offense.

Originally posted by cardaway
Story at Yahoo Sports

Given Rush's history I had no doubt it would only be a matter of time. I am not one for firing people in the media because of one comment, but since others have, I have to agree that it isn't out of the question.

This guy is the biggest bag of hot air I've ever seen. He's full of himself! While I don't consider this racist I do belive Rush runs his mouth just for the attention. I listen to him sometimes purely for the entertainment. Like reading the rag mags. You can't believe a word he says but it is still entertaining!

The idea as I see it is that the media, fans, or maybe only black people have a desire to see these people succeed and that lead to their being overrated.

The idea is (to Rush) that the media want these guys to succede BECAUSE they are black in order to validate a sort of affirmative action. He did not say that anybody other than the media didn't want them to succeed.

Nope, it's because you didn't try and say my opinion was based on me not understanding the situation.

I didn't see where anyone said you didn't understand the situation - it was said that you seemingly didn't understand the difference between a racial comment and a racist comment. And based on the fact that you were using the words racial and racist interchangeably, one could logically conclude that you didn't understand the difference between the two words.

I am taking this as Rush saying that black QB's have been overrated for some time now simply because they are black.

Where in the world did you get that from? He made a comment about ONE black quarterback - how does that equate to his believing it to be true about other or all black quarterbacks?

No one ever brings up race in pre-game shows, (at least I've never seen it) and whether McNabb in particular is overrated or not is very debatable, what, two games into the season? I have no idea why Rush even bothered saying what he did. Habit, maybe.

When Cubs manager, Dusty Baker said that "blacks have more natural ability to deal with heat than whites, therefore play better during the day." Was this racist?

Good question. That could be said to be similar to saying that blacks have a greater chance of having cycle cell, hypertension, certain cancers, etc. and therefore will have more trouble in certain situations. It is at least a dispasionate statement of opinion.

The plain facts are that the media DOES inject race into discussing individual achievements.

Colin Powell is the first black Secretary of State
Condi Rice is the first black National Security Advisor
Thurgood Marshall was the first black Supreme Court Justice
etc, etc, etc,

and in an article today, about the Rush 'tempest in a teapot" they asked Doug Williams for his comments, and identified him as the first black quarterback to win the Super Bowl.

Rush was simply giving an opinion on what he thinks may be an unintended consequence of the media's obsession with racial identity rather than judging performance in a color-blind way.

He's not being critical of African American athletes, he's being critical of sportswriters.

From Rush's website:

"Liberal sportswriters have pushed the notion that it's unfair that there haven't been more black quarterbacks, and I agree with that. I simply said that their desire for McNabb to do well caused them to rate him a little higher than perhaps he actually is."

To call this observation racist, is, IMO, absurd and just another example of our PC-run-amok world!

Where in the world did you get that from? He made a comment about ONE black quarterback - how does that equate to his believing it to be true about other or all black quarterbacks?
Good question, AFR!

Given Rush's history I had no doubt it would only be a matter of time

Does Rush have a history of making racist remarks? Or do you just automatically consider all conservatives to be racist?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Limbaugh resigns from NFL show

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

In the wake of his controversial statements regarding Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, Rush Limbaugh has resigned from his position on ESPN's NFL pregame show. ESPN has accepted the resignation.

Limbaugh issued a statement late Wednesday night in which he wrote:

"My comments this past Sunday were directed at the media and were not racially motivated. I offered an opinion. This opinion has caused discomfort to the crew, which I regret.

"I love NFL Sunday Countdown and do not want to be a distraction to the great work done by all who work on it.

"Therefore, I have decided to resign. I appreciate the opportunity to be a part of the show and wish all the best to those who make it happen."

George Bodenheimer, President, ESPN and ABC Sports, issued the following response:

"We accept his resignation and regret the circumstances surrounding this. We believe that he took the appropriate action to resolve this matter expeditiously."

"We believe that he took the appropriate action to resolve this matter expeditiously."

Yes, you would believe that. Who could ever imagine that you would support the right of your commentator to state his opinion? Gutless, weak-kneed caving in to the PC crowd.

Originally posted by skiwee1
This guy is the biggest bag of hot air I've ever seen. He's full of himself! While I don't consider this racist I do belive Rush runs his mouth just for the attention. I listen to him sometimes purely for the entertainment. Like reading the rag mags. You can't believe a word he says but it is still entertaining!

I agree with you that he's pretty self inflated and don't agree with some of the things he says but you can't say that he's never been right.

It 's a shame it had to play out this way. But one way in which cardaway was right when he said that "knowing Rush it was just a matter of time..."....... Since I don't think this statement was remotely racist or that Rush has any history of making racists statements that doesn't fly. But he does seem to see everything through the prism of politics. The world really isn't all about politics and I'd really rather have my sports and entertainment sans politics. So rather than say that discussion of race has no place in sports, I'd say that discussions of politics have not place in sports.

Originally posted by emmagata
I agree with you that he's pretty self inflated and don't agree with some of the things he says but you can't say that he's never been right.

I agree. But you can't say the rag mags have never been right either. When you spew enough crap once in awhile you are going to get it right. Just lucky, I guess! :crazy2: I love these new smilies! LOL!

Originally posted by skiwee1
I agree. But you can't say the rag mags have never been right either. When you spew enough crap once in awhile you are going to get it right. Just lucky, I guess! :crazy2: I love these new smilies! LOL!

The difference is that Rush has a much higher percentage of being right than wrong and doesn't make outrageous claims like a half-boy half-bat was born with a wolf-head to a pair of aliens (outerspace).

To make a comparison of the two is not fair.

Originally posted by walt's assistant
There is nothing wrong with the NFL's (and media's) "social" agenda to promote black players and executives in leadership positions. More such role models are needed, quite frankly.

Oh the hypocracy.

Do you think the NFL should promote a "social agenda" in which at all times 5 players should be white, 3 should be black, 2 hispanic and 1 asian?

The quality of play would suffer, but at least thier social agenda would be politically correct.

Originally posted by cardaway
Rush - "I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well, There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team.''

Not only do I think that demostrates a very racial view of the league and the players, it shows a total lack of understanding of the game. McNabb has shown that he is one of the most talented players ever since he has entered the league. I guess all those league MVP votes were only because of the black issue if you listen to Rush.

McNabb was rated 26th out of 30 quarterbacks in last years standings, and is 28th out of 30 right now. Even though he started the season in the top 15 to 20 players. Inspite of his stats finish last year!!! He had more rushing yards last year than some running backs.
Rush's comment regarded "media bias" that gave McNabb the credit for the Defense driving the Eagles to victories and pinned it on him when the team was in the dumps. What Rush was really saying was that McNabb did not rate the criticism either way.
Michael Irving said that Rush "had a point" is he racist too?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter