Rush makes racist comment.

cardaway

DIS Veteran
Story at Yahoo Sports

Given Rush's history I had no doubt it would only be a matter of time. I am not one for firing people in the media because of one comment, but since others have, I have to agree that it isn't out of the question.

I am listening to his explanation and what he said, and I don't see anything racist about his comment. He indicated that the media has an interest in seeing a a black quarterback succeed and that McNab isn't as good of a quarterback as the media says he is. In listening to a sports show this morning, the commentators agreed that NcNab isn't a great quarterback and that he is given a pass on his performance because he is black. The media wants a black quarterback to do well.
Don't look for him to be dumped by ESPN. Their ratings have taken off since Rush has taken the job as a sports commentator.

What is your independent explanation of how this is a racist comment.

I just read the whole article, and I don't see where he made a racist comment. :confused:

If he had something along the lines of "McNabb can't be a success because he's black", or "Blacks don't make good quarterbacks", then yeah, that would be racist. But I fail to see how stating an opinion that he is overrated is racist.

Rush - "I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well, There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team.''

Not only do I think that demostrates a very racial view of the league and the players, it shows a total lack of understanding of the game. McNabb has shown that he is one of the most talented players ever since he has entered the league. I guess all those league MVP votes were only because of the black issue if you listen to Rush.

Cardaway,

You need to understand the difference between a "racial" comment and a "racist" comment. The two are different and not interchangable. Al Campanis and Jimmy The Greek made racist comments, Rush did not. Rush referred to the well documented past outcries of there not being enough minority QBs and Coaches in the NFL. He said he feels the desire by some to see success stories in this area has led to some credit falling on McNabb for recent team successes that should have gone to the rest of the team (a large percentage of which I doubt are white).

There is nothing wrong with the NFL's (and media's) "social" agenda to promote black players and executives in leadership positions. More such role models are needed, quite frankly.

I agree with earlier responses in that Rush's statement was not racist in nature. He simply thinks that McNabb is overrated given the hype from the league and the media. Fair comment.

It is a fact that the Philly defense is the dominant unit on that team (#4 in total defense in 2002).

Philly's offense was ranked 10th overall in 2002 but was just 19th in passing (remember that McNabb only played 10 games last year due to injury and that AJ Feeley came in and won games when McNabb was out). They were 7th in rushing but Duce Staley accounted for about half of that total...McNabb accounted for less than a fourth (Dorsey Levens was the guy who made up for most of the remaining yards).

So what does this all mean? Quite frankly, it means that McNabb (like all QBs) gets too much credit when they win and too much blame when they lose.

WA

Originally posted by cardaway
McNabb has shown that he is one of the most talented players ever since he has entered the league. I guess all those league MVP votes were only because of the black issue if you listen to Rush.

You and Rush may have different opinions regarding McNabb's talents but that does not make him racist.

walt's assistant,

Shhhhh!!!! Don't ruin the fun of people with pre-conceived notions about Rush with silly little things like "facts and figures".

There is nothing wrong with the NFL's (and media's) "social" agenda to promote black players and executives in leadership positions. More such role models are needed, quite frankly.

If they are the most qualified person available, I agree. If not, then there is something wrong with it, IMO.

AFR, yeah I agree that when such an agenda promotes less qualified people ahead of others more qualified, it is flawed.

However, I can't think of one instance where this has been blatantly observed in the NFL. Then again, it only takes one major screw job for the league's credibility to go out the door.

I'm not saying the NFL's way of approaching this is perfect but it appears to be directionally correct....for now.

WA

Originally posted by Geoff_M
walt's assistant,

Shhhhh!!!! Don't ruin the fun of people with pre-conceived notions about Rush with silly little things like "facts and figures".

;)

Originally posted by DawnCt
You and Rush may have different opinions regarding McNabb's talents but that does not make him racist.
Bingo! ::yes::

Is McNabb black? Yes.
Is McNabb a quarterback? Yes.
Is McNabb one of the most talented players ever since he has entered the league? Questionable. He has talent -- otherwise, he wouldn't be where he is today. But one of the most talented? Not today and not yet.

How you got this
I guess all those league MVP votes were only because of the black issue if you listen to Rush.
out of Rush's quote is beyond my comprehension.

Cardaway,

You need to understand the difference between a "racial" comment and a "racist" comment. The two are different and not interchangable. Al Campanis and Jimmy The Greek made racist comments, Rush did not. Rush referred to the well documented past outcries of there not being enough minority QBs and Coaches in the NFL. He said he feels the desire by some to see success stories in this area has led to some credit falling on McNabb for recent team successes that should have gone to the rest of the team (a large percentage of which I doubt are white).

First of all, if Rush is now explaining himself better on his show today I have not heard it.

Secondly, don't tell me what I have to understand. Just because we disagree doesn't mean you understand more than I do. I see no difference between what Rush said and what The Greek did years ago (don't know what AL said). Both were true if you are willing to look at the players and their abilites as race related. IMO people who are not racist, or know better than to make racial comments, can make comments without the need to specify race.

If and when I see other people from the NFL back up Rush's comments then I may change my mind. Even then I think it was inappropriate just as Jimmy's was years ago.

BTW: I didn't say Rush should be fired and I was against the fring of Jimmy back in the day. They should have been given the opportunity to apologize, explain, and go on.

walt's assistant,

Who said we are only looking at 2002's numbers. :rolleyes:

Don't question the ditto heads, they must support the man even if he is wrong. ;)

Explain, maybe. Why should he apologize? If someone says they believe affirmative action to be wrong because it rewards unqualified blacks, have they made a racist comment? That, in a nutshell, is what he's talking about. Why apologize for that?

Don't look for him to be dumped by ESPN. Their ratings have
taken off since Rush has taken the job as a sports
commentator.

ITA. I would be shocked( & very angry) if ESPN made a move to dismiss Rush. They know he is wildly popular & an avid football fan. Rush's comment was about football, not race. And as usual, he's right on! Need another example? See Tiger Woods.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter