Rush makes racist comment.

Originally posted by Teejay32
No one ever brings up race in pre-game shows, (at least I've never seen it) and whether McNabb in particular is overrated or not is very debatable,

Here then is the debate you can take up.

"On most player ranking lists heading into the season, McNabb was ranked in the top 15-20 players. One had him as the third-best overall, and he is often considered one of the top three or four quarterbacks."

This is what Rush was talking about. If you wish to agree with the above statement do so. Just be prepared to defend it with stats.

Originally posted by Galahad
The idea is (to Rush) that the media want these guys to succede BECAUSE they are black in order to validate a sort of affirmative action. He did not say that anybody other than the media didn't want them to succeed.

Hell, I want McNabb to be a good QB too. He isn't though. Unlike the press I will not SAY he's good just because I WANT him to be good.

Originally posted by SeanSpoonts
Here then is the debate you can take up.

"On most player ranking lists heading into the season, McNabb was ranked in the top 15-20 players. One had him as the third-best overall, and he is often considered one of the top three or four quarterbacks."

This is what Rush was talking about. If you wish to agree with the above statement do so. Just be prepared to defend it with stats.

I agree that he's often considered one of the top quarterbacks, you don't need stats for that statement. Not sure if I agree with those people's estimation or not so it's debatable. How do I know it's debatable, because we had Drew Bledsoe for nine years and he was erratic as anything, with obviously no racial motivator for the people thinking he was better than he was. That's about it.

Originally posted by Teejay32
I agree that he's often considered one of the top quarterbacks, you don't need stats for that statement. Not sure if I agree with those people's estimation or not so it's debatable. How do I know it's debatable, because we had Drew Bledsoe for nine years and he was erratic as anything, with obviously no racial motivator for the people thinking he was better than he was. That's about it.

The point is that last year McNabb finished 26th out of 30 NFL QBs in the stats. This year he starts in the top five? Based on what? Last years performance when he finished 26th?
What is the explaination for that one? The numbers judge his performance but the writers ignore that and place him pretty high in the ranks following a lousy year. That is what Rush was talking about.

They're saying he needs some receivers. lol.

Seriously, he has the Pro Bowl appearances and career stats, and he's proven himself in previous years - at least I think he did because I remember the 2001 season better than recent games - why wouldn't he be known as a "top" QB? (It might be really boring in the QB department lately, we don't know.) In the 2001 season the Eagles lost to the Rams the Superbowl spot. McNabb was credited for bringing the Eagles into the championships after so many years. In the AFC the Steelers lost it to the Patriots. The only thing Kordell Stewart was credited for was blowing it for the Steelers. He's not even in Pittsburgh anymore. He's also a black QB, ranked low, and deserves it.

So I questioned Rush's putting it down to "well he's black, they're hyping him..." I doubt it's that simple.

In today's pc world we live in if any person who isnt of color makes a negative comment about a person of color then they are assummed to be racist. Of course if a person of color makes a negative comment about a non person of color it is fine and should be applauded as being enlightened.

The really sad thing is today, we are more concerned with who said something than what was actually said. Or more what color was the person?

To me a comment can only be truely offensive if it can be said by anyone and offensive to all. There are alot of comments in the media and even here on these forums I don't agree with. However I don't find them personally offensive unless they are addressed to me personally.

I don't dwell on generalisms. The only person who should be offended by the comment, if any, is McNabb. I think he has handled the situation properly, others would do well to follow his example.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter