• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Run Disney to Eat Disney - Glass Slipper/Dark Side Challenge Dining Report - Feb & Apr 2016 - 5/9

Ain't nothin wrong with some TB! It's definitely something I don't admit on the regular but I love their crunchwrap sliders. For shame. :headache:

Tutto Italia needs to be added to our list. I LOVE PROSCIUTTO so that dish sounds fantastic!! Perfect pre-running meal.

We just ate at Tutto Italia in March and just love it there! That warm cheese app looks amazing!!! If Mr. Dis_yoda sticks with the vegetarian lifestyle by your next trip, I totally recommend this zucchini dish that is on the appetizer menu, but I get it for dinner. As a veg head, I find the Italian places to be some of the easiest to eat at, that and Mexican. Both use a lot of vegetables in their dishes.

Now, you need to give a list of what you bought! I see the picture, but I want to know the real details :). I really have to save more and more for W&D. I was really good when I did the GSC a couple years ago, I came away with the wine glass and was happy (drank out of it last night :) ).

LOL...foodie Melissa loves Taco Bell. I would have never guessed!

I love that you put Betsy to good use!

That bourbon cake looks AMAZING and the rose slush...oh my. I tend to have to agree with your DH about ice cream. LOVE the stuff!

OHHHHH warm gooey cheese...the best.

Foodie Melissa does love her Taco Bell! I have no shame in it either that its my fast food love if I have to have Drive Thru type food. I probably eat there more than I should but from my work - I have 3 really close 'quick' options - Taco Bell, McDonalds and Subway and of those three - I'm totally doing the Bell! Luckily I don't have to do the quick options all the time and can go a little further sometimes for either Moe's, Tropical Smoothie, Chili's, Marco's Pizza, or Japanese. I should be a better person about bringing my lunch but somedays you just got to get out you know?

Betsy offered to help so I totally took her up on it!

That bourbon cake was good and we know I love my alcohol! I like ice cream too but my husband loves it way more than me! I think he would eat it every day if he could (although somehow he's still the skinny one!)

Mmm, cheese is my food equivalent to my husband's love of ice cream. I love cheese, especially warm and gooey types!

More great reviews! Wishing for those ravioli for breakfast, lol!

I do too! My tea just wasn't filling enough when looking at that food!

Ain't nothin wrong with some TB! It's definitely something I don't admit on the regular but I love their crunchwrap sliders. For shame. :headache:

Tutto Italia needs to be added to our list. I LOVE PROSCIUTTO so that dish sounds fantastic!! Perfect pre-running meal.

I'm more a Cheesy Gordita Crunch Sans Spicy Ranch Sauce type girl than the Crunchwrap Slider although I did try that when they came out with the snack sized ones a few months ago.

Tutto Italia is so good! We're probably going to skip it next couple of trips since we've gone so much recently but we do love it! There are just so many places in Disney to enjoy!

We just ate at Tutto Italia in March and just love it there! That warm cheese app looks amazing!!! If Mr. Dis_yoda sticks with the vegetarian lifestyle by your next trip, I totally recommend this zucchini dish that is on the appetizer menu, but I get it for dinner. As a veg head, I find the Italian places to be some of the easiest to eat at, that and Mexican. Both use a lot of vegetables in their dishes.

Now, you need to give a list of what you bought! I see the picture, but I want to know the real details :). I really have to save more and more for W&D. I was really good when I did the GSC a couple years ago, I came away with the wine glass and was happy (drank out of it last night :) ).

I'll have to let him know about that zucchini dish - he hasn't had a lot of zucchini since turning vegetarian but maybe he just needs to try it. He's really into lentils right now though. We do eat a lot of Tropical Smoothie, Japanese and Mexican - although the Mexican is more so Moe's as the Mexican places around Naples pretty much suck. At the Japanese place he can get Fried Rice with Sautéed Broccoli while I get sushi usually. We really should eat at home more but we're both just worn out after work it seems and it costs about the same.

I would love to put Tutto Italia on the list more often, but Italian just isn't a "going out" choice for us. Not on my account, I would love to go somewhere I could order ravioli, fettuccine Alfredo, or such, but we tend to eat it at home. Maybe I'll put it in the back of my mind for March.

Ok here is the list:

muv2OlZ.jpg
EgvSnDv.jpg

Shirts:
Men's Bounty Hunter Dry Tech Shirt
Men's Darth Vadar Dry Tech Run Shirt
3 Official Race Shirts Men's
3 Official Race Shirts Woman's
Hot Pink Dark Side Challenge Champion Shirt
Dark Side Dooney Shopper Bag
Medal Dark Side Challenge Pin
Medal Dark Side Half Pin
Dark Side Challenge Sweaty Band
Aetrex Women's Lynco Flips Sandal (More orthopedic than Oofos with better grip on the bottom as well) (BEST SHOES EVER)
Star Wars Half Marathon Tank Top
Dark Side Challenge Pink/Grey T-Shirt

As you can tell, we did some serious damage this time around! We'll have to behave ourselves at Wine & Dine but as we are more so Star Wars people - it makes sense we go crazy here rather than the other races.

I would love to put Tutto Italia on the list more often, but Italian just isn't a "going out" choice for us. Not on my account, I would love to go somewhere I could order ravioli, fettuccine Alfredo, or such, but we tend to eat it at home. Maybe I'll put it in the back of my mind for March.

I get that. There are certain things I don't really eat out at Disney as its normal food around the house for us. If it wasn't a race weekend, we probably would have skipped it this time around but we're going to Il Mulino in November I think instead for our Italian Pre-Race food! We eat a lot of Italian at home, especially since my husband has gone Vegetarian - its the easiest option for cook at home to keep us both happy.

Reactions: maw
Star Wars Dark Side 10K - Pre & Post Refreshments

The alarm went off at 2:45AM and I was up! My husband was a bit slower to get moving. I started making my toast (apparently super loudly too according to Mr. Dis_Yoda but we’re in a studio, what do you expect?)

qubOVEJ.jpg

Sourdough Bread Toast w/ Butter & Grape Jelly

It was perfect pre-race food for me! Enough to keep me going until the post race refreshment box after finishing the 10K.

7BgxEJg.jpg

Mr. Dis_Yoda - Pre-Race

o61NGk5.jpg

Dis_Yoda - Pre-Race

neELerA.jpg

Dis_Yoda - Finished!

It was super easy to get my drinks post race so I picked up my Powerade, Water and a bag of ice (to place on my knees while waiting for bus) Exactly what I needed!

igg3xAZ.jpg

Powerade, Water & Ice

KxxP9pk.jpg

Post Race Refreshment Box

Best Race Box of 2016! Salty Cheddar Cheese w/ Chips, Oreos, Salt & Pepper Cashews! I was super happy! I gave away the applesauce as that isn’t my thing. As I waited in line to head back to VGF, I was able to enjoy all three of those things I listed there. The cheese was salty but at that point that is what my body really wanted! You can’t go wrong with oreos either!​

ABC Commissary

Once I got back to the room post race, I cleaned up and we got ready to head to the parks for a little bit. We were headed to Hollywood Studios and were meeting up with one of my friends that works at Disney as his volunteer shift for the Dark Side 10K didn’t take as long as planned (he had the 8AM shift at EPCOT with crowd control of the buses post race) We started Launch Bay as we had time to kill before our first FP+ time for Toy Story Mania.

tySnRHK.jpg

8FsOqNs.jpg

a6VX2BC.jpg

PaBjMdQ.jpg

e9lPdc6.jpg

At the end of Launch Bay, my husband ordered a Boba Fett phone case and I ordered a BB8 Magic Band.

When we were done with Toy Story Mania, it was raining. We wanted to get some food at this point and avoid the rain. As it was a little after 11AM, the best option for us was the cheap easy option of ABC Commissary as we knew it would fit the bill.

My husband didn’t really eat a healthy meal here though as he didn’t want to order the salad without meat and totally forgot he could order other sides other than french fries on its own. So he had french fries and diet coke for lunch...I’ll leave it at that...

02kKMou.jpg

2 Orders of French Fries

I went with the Chicken Club which I was happily pleased with! The chicken breast was well cooked and I totally upped the flavor to it with a little bit of ranch on top (I don’t like mayo and the sandwich needed some type of moisture added to it) I would totally go with something like this again though as it was the perfect quick lunch options for me. The fries were fine when salted as well.

EuSRA4j.jpg

Chicken Club - Chicken, Bacon, Swiss Cheese w/ French Fries

Starbucks

After lunch, we headed to Star Tours where my friend didn’t have a FP+ so he watched the new Star Wars Trials of the Temple Show as his wife was coming out to the parks now as well. After Star Tours, my husband left me to head back to the room as his knee was killing him. I found my friend and his wife at Backlot Express as she needed to eat lunch as she just had finished her pregnancy glucose test and needed food now! So we sat and talked. I told them my husband left as he wasn’t feeling well and wanted to rest his knee. She joked that I guess the 4 of us never get together as either she isn’t feeling well or my husband isn’t. We chatted for a while and eventually decided we wanted Starbucks.

1e4XVDB.jpg

Venti Caramelized Honey Frappuccino and Darth Vader Cupcake

The frappuccino was just what I wanted and needed! Perfect amount of caffeine and sweetness. I never got a bite of the cupcake as I didn’t eat it right away and once it was in the room, my husband laid claim to it.

Once we finished our drinks, we parted ways and headed back to our lives. My friend dropped me off at VGF as his wife was going to IKEA to shop and he had housework to do. It was nice getting to catch up with them since it had been a while!​

Senses Spa

Once I was cleaned from the 10K, I called Senses Spa to see if they had availability for a facial around 3:00PM in the afternoon as my husband told me to pamper myself. Unfortunately, there wasn’t anything available at the Grand Floridian Spa but there was at Saratoga Springs one. I decided that would work for me! At 2:00PM, I headed over to Saratoga Springs in the car and made it in less than 15 minutes!

YfAx5x6.jpg

Check In was a breeze and shortly I was changed and able to relax until it was time for my facial.

PMakhUf.jpg

Lounging

3JLtQph.jpg

Snacks

So as this is a dining report, I guess I should talk about food…

They had in the relaxation room 4 tasty options! White Cheddar Popcorn, Vanilla Butternut Popcorn, M&M’s and Pretzels

The White Cheddar Popcorn was a nice snack for me as were the M&M’s.

They also had Orange Slice Water which was nice. It was a nice switch up from the normal cucumber water most spas do.

My Rose Facial was awesome! My skin still was getting compliments a week later about how great my face looked. My husband even noticed the improvements! It was a great relaxing experience!​

How nice to sneak in some spa time. I was thinking about checking into this for my trip as well, just not sure where I could slip it in!

How nice to sneak in some spa time. I was thinking about checking into this for my trip as well, just not sure where I could slip it in!

It is nice and so relaxing! I hope you can figure out sometime to fit in some "me" spa time during this trip, especially since it is your birthday!

Citrico’s

On Saturday Evening, we had reservations at opening for Citrico’s. We arrived right on time as it was just a short walk from the DVC building to the main building at the Grand. As others had arrived before us, it took a few minutes to be seated upon opening but we shortly were sat by the window in the main area of the restaurant. We were greeted by a waitress we had before.

RKXfpCQ.jpg

Gates

We really liked the spring menu! I went outside my normal appetizer choices here and went with the celery root soup. It was great! The pepper powder provided a nice kick to warm velvety soup that was quickly toned down with a bit of the apple in the soup. It was a great start!

awHGvF3.jpg

Celery Root Soup - Apples, Picked Fennel & Espelette Pepper Powder

My husband went with the Heirloom Apple Salad. He really liked how it was a hearty, balanced salad that had a ton of flavor in it between the spiced nuts and the apples. He had it gone in no time!

wv8ggPq.jpg

Heirloom Apple Salad - Heirloom Apples, Ice Root Spinach, Baby Arugula, Spiced Walnuts & Minus 8 Walnut Vinaigrette

My standing tradition for dinner after the 10K and before the half is to have a nice steak. I went with the Filet here and couldn’t have been happier! It was cooked to a perfect medium rare. It was nice switching between the bordelaise and the onion jam with each bite of the steak. The potato puree was awesome with its buttery taste! I usually am one that leaves the potato purees behind on the plate but I finished these off!

WSy5VZy.jpg

Oak-Grilled Beef Filet - Potato Puree, Roasted Baby Carrots, Cipollini Onion Jam and Sauce Bordelaise

My husband went with an appetizer and a side item for his meal. He really enjoyed the arancini! The cheese in the middle worked well with the poma rosa sauce. He also really enjoyed the mashed potatoes, which were the same as the potato puree I had on my plate. He had no problem joining the clean plate club!

nNq4XQv.jpg

Arancini - Sicilian Street Food - Crispy Risotto w/ Creamy Marscapone & Spicy Garlic Poma Rosa Sauce
Mashed Potatoes

My husband advised me that getting dessert was a bad idea but I didn’t care. I wanted it anyway! I love their tiramisu! It was so light and just sweet enough without being overpowering. Great way to end the meal!

vlfNBZB.jpg

Tiramisu

After dinner, we headed back to the room to watch tv and play on the computers. I went to bed by 7:30PM. My husband was asleep by 8:30PM.​

Hey there. You are doing so much better than me as I haven't even been able to start a report yet. It's funny looking at all your pictures and knowing that we were there at the same time. Keep looking to see if I see us in the background :-)

You all tried a few things at the outdoor gardens that we didn't get too. Wish I'd seen your reviews before we skipped the France booth all together. That bread sounds divine.

Your Citricos meal looks yummy. We ended up trying it later in the week and definitely enjoyed.

Citricos looks so yummy! I love that arancini too. You probably know this but you can order it in Mizner's Lounge too if you're ever just hankering for a quick bite. I love all your racecation traditions. So cool how you guys can do these together and have such fun. I want to like running....but I just can't get into it.

I am loving your reviews, especially since half of our group is training, now, for the 10K and the half in January. (Love your costumes!!) Plus, it's been awhile since we've been to WDW, so your reviews of places like Morimoto's and The Boathouse are especially helpful. Part of "our thing" is trying new restaurants each time we visit. I was really looking to Morimoto's until I read your review. Now, I'm not so sure.

Hey there. You are doing so much better than me as I haven't even been able to start a report yet. It's funny looking at all your pictures and knowing that we were there at the same time. Keep looking to see if I see us in the background :-)

You all tried a few things at the outdoor gardens that we didn't get too. Wish I'd seen your reviews before we skipped the France booth all together. That bread sounds divine.

Your Citricos meal looks yummy. We ended up trying it later in the week and definitely enjoyed.

Well, I have to be on top of this report b/c of the 3 month rule and having the trips 2 months apart! I have 15 more days to finish this up or risk it being closed on me! I also don't have a child so my attention doesn't get distracted as much. Totally get why you haven't started yet!

The French Booth was totally the best booth! Loved it all! That onion tart...mmmmm! What I would give to have it right now!

Glad you ended up trying Citricos! We always are so happy there no matter what (except for that one wine dinner my husband wasn't a fan of) I'm actually trying to convince my best friend to go there tonight as she's been texting me on last minute dinner ideas at WDW as she is currently there now for a work thing.

Citricos looks so yummy! I love that arancini too. You probably know this but you can order it in Mizner's Lounge too if you're ever just hankering for a quick bite. I love all your racecation traditions. So cool how you guys can do these together and have such fun. I want to like running....but I just can't get into it.

Mizner's is my favorite bar! The main bartender there makes the best manhattan! I love how they get all the appetizers and desserts from Citricos for when you need a fix! I'm sad I didn't get to visit them this trip :(

I have a love/hate relationship with running. It is a great way to have more excuses to go to Disney and to keep healthy but sometimes its a pain (just read my race recap for the Dark Side Half in my Wish Journal) and I wonder why I do this to myself. I do get it though - I want to like the elliptical but every time I get on it - I get ADD within 5 minutes on it and HAVE TO STOP!

I am loving your reviews, especially since half of our group is training, now, for the 10K and the half in January. (Love your costumes!!) Plus, it's been awhile since we've been to WDW, so your reviews of places like Morimoto's and The Boathouse are especially helpful. Part of "our thing" is trying new restaurants each time we visit. I was really looking to Morimoto's until I read your review. Now, I'm not so sure.

Thank you for loving my reviews! That is great that half of your group is training for the 10K/Half in January! We're going to do the Light Side Rebel Challenge again in January in Disneyland again! Back to back races definitely have their own training you have to do for it! It is always good to try new restaurants! We are probably going to try a few new ones in October if STK opens or Art Smith's place does! Morimoto's has really good food. Their timing and service has been off but by the time you go there it will be almost 11 months since my incident. I would hope they would have fixed their timing/service issues by that time. We're going to Morimoto's in Hawaii in July so I'm not completely turned off on the brand.

Grand Floridian Cafe

At this point, I’m not going to talk about my breakfast at 2AM in the morning as it was the same as the previous 2 days and well everyday of the Princess Trip as well. I like Toast.

16smx8Q.jpg

As far as food during the half, those that read my Wish Journal know how the half ended up for me at the end. I got back to the room around 10:30AM and really enjoyed my bath to soak my aches and pains and drink some gatorade to replenish fluids into my body. Post soak, I just rested in bed as our lunch ADR wasn’t until 12:00PM even though check out was 11AM. At 11:15AM, Housekeeping was knocking on our door. She seemed annoyed when I said we’ll be out at 11:30AM but oh well, I’m a bad guest but we weren’t exactly moving quickly around. Luckily my husband had packed everything up except for my clothes I would be wearing.

We left around 11:30AM to get our stuff to the car (slowly) and waddled over to the Grand Floridian Main Building to check into lunch at Grand Floridian Cafe. The Grand Floridian Cafe is one of those places we love but skip a lot as there are so many other restaurants we love as well. This was a perfect choice post race as it was at our hotel and we knew it would have items that would make us happy after the race. We checked into our reservation 15 minutes early and we pretty much had to wait until 12PM to be seated as they were definitely busy! They were quoting those without ADRs over an hour wait!

We were seated in the back of the restaurant overlooking the pool (well, I got that view, my husband got me to look at ;) )

Once our server came to the table (he arrived a bit slow because of another table) he was super efficient and happy to know we were ready to order everything as we knew what we wanted!

6ZxrIrL.jpg

Menu

I went with a cocktail that sounded interesting. Moscow Mules are so popular nowadays it seems, I was happy to see a Kentucky Mule where it is made with bourbon instead of vodka. I love me some bourbon and mixed with ginger beer & a little lime, I was elated!

o9jomaK.jpg

Kentucky Mule

Both my husband and I went with the same appetizer. We both love a good French onion soup and this one did not disappoint! Perfectly cheesy and just rich enough!

hmksHxT.jpg

Caramelized Onion Soup Gratinee - Traditional French Onion Soup

My husband is a creature of habit if you haven’t already figured that out. He went with a Caesar salad. He was happy with his salad!

ncc6W8t.jpg

Caesar Salad - Romaine Lettuce Tossed w/ Caesar Dressing

I went with their signature sandwich without the ham or tomatoes. This is a heavenly sandwich with a wonderful thick rich cheese sauce that is over every bite. The onion straws are fresh and you can tell the turkey breast is real sliced breast rather than sandwich meat. It doesn’t come with a side but it doesn’t need to as it is definitely enough food on its on! This is exactly what I needed post race to refuel my body!

ToU51Mp.jpg

The Grand Cafe Sandwich - Open-Faced Smoked Turkey Breast, Bacon w/ a rich Boursin Cheese Sauce & Fried Onion Straws

We skipped dessert as we were both overly full. This was a great lunch overall post race! Then it was off to the car to drive 3 hours home! I was so glad I wasn’t driving so I could take a nap!

And that wraps up this RunDisney report!

I have my trip to Aulani Upcoming in less than 2 months - Pre-Trip/Trip Report is here: http://www.disboards.com/threads/wa...ani-pre-trip-report-update-4-24-2016.3467739/

Wish Journal about my Running Journey is here: http://www.disboards.com/threads/re...gacy-a-continuous-journal-update-5-1.3483669/

Looks like great post-race meal. I've never even heard of that GFC sandwich before, but now I must have it. Looks delicious!!!!! Speaking of delicious my hubby would be in heaven with your drink (I'm a total wuss when it comes to whiskey).

That sandwich looks good! We were considering ordering that when we went for lunch the other day, but ended up with another choice. I was so glad to try the chocolate fondue that I saw on one of your TRs!

Looking forward to the Aulani report! We'll both be gone at the same time so I'm sure we'll catch up post trips!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter