Rumors of Light (ROL discussion thread)

Looks like Disney is continuing the holiday surprises this year .......... with all this "new" stuff maybe we won't notice the missing parade and light show :banana:

Per WDW News Today:

Disney Springs to Host Festival of Holiday Trees
Among New Line-Up for 2016 Holiday Season

Disney Springs will celebrate its very first holiday season since it was completed with an entirely revamped lineup of offerings for guests between November 14th, 2016 and January 8th, 2017.

This year’s highlights include:
  • A nightly tree lighting ceremony at the Once Upon a Toy fountain play area
  • Elaborate storefront window displays at select shops
  • Santa’s Chalet! Meet and take a keepsake photo with Santa Claus from November 14 through December 24, 2016; and with Santa Goofy from December 25 through December 30, 2016.
  • A holiday-themed DJ dance party with games and activities at the Once Upon a Toy fountain play area
  • Live entertainment, including toy solider and snowflake stilt walkers, pop carolers, acapella groups and more—6:00 PM to 10:00 PM from November 13 through January 8, 2017
  • Special performances celebrating Kwanza on Waterside Stage in the Marketplace on December 26 and December 27, 2016
  • Songs and stories in honor of Hanukkah at Waterview Park in The Landing, with evening performances from December 24 through January 1, 2017.
  • A decked out trail near the Marketplace bus loop with custom-decorated holiday trees—all centered around a different Disney theme
  • Photo ops with oversized toy sculptures throughout Disney Springs
santa-goofy.jpg

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/10/disne...day-trees-among-new-line-2016-holiday-season/

Oooo, I'm a sucker for acapella groups!

I must admit there are lots of components I enjoy - and who doesn't love snowflake stilt walkers.

Sounds festive and fun. If only they would do some fireworks like they used to with Pleasure Island. :santa:

Avatarland ............... do you think the long timers (those of us waiting for years for this thing) will ever call it by it's real name? I mean it's more Disney like with land in it. Pandora is a radio station.... Anyway so many rumors, but for all the money it has cost and the constant need for more money it better be off the charts and more than rocks and blue aliens. RUMOR that keeps getting kicked around is that only ONE of the two attractions will be ready next spring ............... say what? I mean I know there are permits to at least December 2018 .............. so if it is true that it will be a partial opening, having ROL open at the same time will help with the crush of the crowds trying to get in there. I mean it still helps if it was already open BUT if it is newly open it spreads the excitement/pain situation. Smoke.
Pandora: The World of Avatar will open in 2017 and very likely in mid 2017 (possibly May). Both attractions will open at the same time going off the latest I have heard.

There was a rehearsal last night. No idea how it went but Joe Rohde and several other imagineers that worked on ROL are in town...

Mid November is still the target for Grand Opening. Softs could begin any time now.

I'm trying hard not to get my hopes up after the fiasco that was the big "Earth Day Reveal". We're down for a long weekend at the start of December and it would be great to finally see this.
I would hate to have to go back to blitzing the comment section on the Blog....sort of...:duck:

There was a rehearsal last night. No idea how it went but Joe Rohde and several other imagineers that worked on ROL are in town...

Mid November is still the target for Grand Opening. Softs could begin any time now.

Do you agree with the rumors of a ROL D23 event?

I'm trying hard not to get my hopes up after the fiasco that was the big "Earth Day Reveal". We're down for a long weekend at the start of December and it would be great to finally see this.
I would hate to have to go back to blitzing the comment section on the Blog....sort of...:duck:

Will your trip overlap mine? We're there 11/26-12/7. :)

You are VERY good at it, though !

SURPRISES on a roll here .................
now this wasn't done overnight so ........... is there a night time plan?
Is the very quiet rumble of more "night" light coming true?

Hope this is not temporary, looks fun.

‘Once Upon A Time’ Projection Show Begins November 4
aa89e1fd793e4eed52553813f14c340f

by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Editorial Content Manager, Walt Disney World Resort

Today we’re happy to announce that a new nighttime projection show, “Once Upon a Time,” will debut at Magic Kingdom Park on November 4.

In this new show, Mrs. Potts from “Beauty and the Beast” shares bedtime stories with Chip, taking them (and all of us) on a magical trip through the most adventurous scenes from favorite Disney films like “Cinderella,” “Peter Pan,” “Alice in Wonderland” and “The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.”

Scenes that are expected to be guest-favorites include a flight with Peter Pan from London to Never Land, the Mad Hatter’s whimsical tea party, and a daring duel between Gaston and Beast. Mrs. Potts and Chip end their bedtime story with a grand finale that includes appearances by characters from even more Disney films.

oa76847362.jpg
oa998989.jpg
oa778475884.jpg

The show, which was inspired by one of a similar name at Tokyo Disneyland Park, uses projection mapping technology to cover every nook and cranny of Cinderella Castle in vibrant images that appear almost three-dimensional.

“Once Upon A Time” will replace the current “Celebrate the Magic” projection show, which will end its run on November 3. Check your My Disney Experience app for times and more information.

I just got off the phone with Member Services of Disney Vacation Club;
They KNOW absolutely
NOTHING about a
Grand Opening for ROL in Mid/November!

ALSO, her Experience in Working for Disney is that they would have probably ALREADY have announced it,
IF ROL really will open in Mid/November!

They KNOW absolutely
NOTHING about a

ALSO, her Experience in Working for Disney is that they would have probably ALREADY have announced it,
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Didn't they announce Jingle BAM that replaces Star Wars really late?

I believe they announced that October 14th with a November 14th opening date which would be a month out.

*ETA: Celebrate the Magic was announced today to be replaced by Once Upon A Time eff 11/4..that's 2 weeks out.*

Granted ROL is a bit different than what is mentioned above but Disney does at times announce last minute (in comparison to all other facets of WDW planning like ADRs, FP+, etc).

I really have no opinion on the mid-November opening date rumor just putting it out there.

With ROL they are not going to announce it publically until they are for sure. There's no way they want a PR issue with announcing it for a 2nd time (and really really late honestly as it was supposed to open 6 months ago and was announced a while before that) and then it not opening as planned due to issues they hadn't really worked out yet.

Last edited:
They KNOW absolutely
NOTHING about a
I know this might come off as rude but why even ask them? They aren't going to know anything about this show and if they do they aren't going to tell guests on the phone. It just part of the situation. Not trying to be rude but we know more than they do for the most part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter