Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

@Ariel484 Thank you for saying that. I get SO MAD when they did the event during the day and then pretend like they are waiting for the women to do each rotation. Like...nooooo...this already happened...you can just show it to us right now!
I know it because they want people to keep watching all night...but UGH!
I literally left my front door during uneven bars...went on a ~40 min run...came home and showered...tucked my baby into bed...had some trail mix...and THEN they showed the balance beam. I probably could have gone on another run before floor excercise if I wanted to.

RANT!

Um...WERE YOU ABLE TO WATCH IT?! I am NOT impressed with NBC doing 2 rotations right at 8 and then saving the rest until like midnight. :mad:

I am RIGHT there with you.

:furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

Do you know how hard it is to not look at your phone during swimming semi-finals because you want to avoid all spoilers. I would pick it up and then be like "nope twitter, nope facebook, nope buzzfeed....ooooh maybe disboards...hmmmm can't chance it"
My hubby even at one point said "why do we need to watch the 200m breaststroke semifinal right now?"

I did read a really funny tweet today that I cannot take credit for. It said "why do they have so many strokes in swimming? In track you don't have the 100m dash and then the 100m goofy trot"

As I've talked about in the past, the blind run is neither inherently good or bad, but merely an assessment on your ability to blind pace. I'd say you did well. You self corrected your easy pace after the first mile without looking realizing that it didn't "feel" right. That is exactly the point. The fact that mile 2 was perfect and mile 3 was too fast is merely your body settling into pace. I'd venture to guess if your mile 3 was an honest attempt at EA pace then the 12:12 is probably the most accurate of the three miles to the EA effort. I won't bother to tell you at this point what that means until we get further into training (SECRETS!). Just keep doing the blind runs honestly and they will act as a window into your abilities.

Nice work! :thumbsup2

AND BTW, totally with you guys on that whole gymnastics thing.... UGH I KNOW ITS NOT LIVE JUST SHOW ME ALREADY!!! :D

Here's my other beef. Don't tell me who won the race in the on demand videos. I'm watching the on demand because I don't KNOW WHO WON! It takes 90% of the fun away if you know the end result. That's why Sunday's 18 mile run will be at 5:00am because I need to finish so I can watch the women's marathon at 7:30am live. Don't need anyone ruining for me... Rant over!:rolleyes1

As I've talked about in the past, the blind run is neither inherently good or bad, but merely an assessment on your ability to blind pace. I'd say you did well. You self corrected your easy pace after the first mile without looking realizing that it didn't "feel" right. That is exactly the point. The fact that mile 2 was perfect and mile 3 was too fast is merely your body settling into pace. I'd venture to guess if your mile 3 was an honest attempt at EA pace then the 12:12 is probably the most accurate of the three miles to the EA effort. I won't bother to tell you at this point what that means until we get further into training (SECRETS!). Just keep doing the blind runs honestly and they will act as a window into your abilities.

Nice work! :thumbsup2

AND BTW, totally with you guys on that whole gymnastics thing.... UGH I KNOW ITS NOT LIVE JUST SHOW ME ALREADY!!! :D

Here's my other beef. Don't tell me who won the race in the on demand videos. I'm watching the on demand because I don't KNOW WHO WON! It takes 90% of the fun away if you know the end result. That's why Sunday's 18 mile run will be at 5:00am because I need to finish so I can watch the women's marathon at 7:30am live. Don't need anyone ruining for me... Rant over!:rolleyes1

OH GOOD REMINDER...got to watch that women's marathon on Sunday morning. I'm 100% doing that even if it means kiddo will be playing Ipad games and eating toaster waffles so mama can watch her running :)
Maybe I'll do my long run Sunday after the marathon...since watching the ironman before made me feel like a superhero out on my run :)

I promise to always be honest with myself, because what would be the point otherwise, right? Internet glory?
In that case, I change my stats.
Mile 1: 5:03
Mile 2: 4:59 (FINALLY GOT THAT SUB 5 !!!)
Mile 3: DNF...woke up from nap...sigh

And didn't anyone teach you that secrets are no fun?

Do you know how hard it is to not look at your phone during swimming semi-finals because you want to avoid all spoilers. I would pick it up and then be like "nope twitter, nope facebook, nope buzzfeed....ooooh maybe disboards...hmmmm can't chance it"
My hubby even at one point said "why do we need to watch the 200m breaststroke semifinal right now?"

I did read a really funny tweet today that I cannot take credit for. It said "why do they have so many strokes in swimming? In track you don't have the 100m dash and then the 100m goofy trot"
I've decided that hubbys do not really *get* the Olympics. :sad2:

I'm okay with being spoiled on gymnastics and diving - I found a live blog to follow along with the scores and USA Gymnastics does a good job live-tweeting the events. But I feel like even if I know what's happening I still like to watch the routines/dives later, and I know who all of the gymnasts are that had crazy/scary falls so that I can look away (OMG DID YOU SEE THE FRENCH GYMNAST BREAK HIS LEG ON DAY 1?!). But yeah, for races - no spoilers!!

I would totally watch the 100m goofy trot.
RIGHT?! :furious::furious::furious:

Um...WERE YOU ABLE TO WATCH IT?! I am NOT impressed with NBC doing 2 rotations right at 8 and then saving the rest until like midnight. :mad:

GRRRRRR. I still haven't watched it. My bedtime is much earlier than that, so it's recorded and I'll watch it later. I already knew the outcome, so I just want to see the actual routines.

And speaking of the goofy trot totally reminds me of that Monty Python skit about the Ministry of Silly Walks.

With you all on the Olympics broadcast rants. My sleep schedule is taking a major hit this week! So much time wasted watching swimmers sit in chairs! >:(

Are we taking bets on how they're showing the women's all-around tonight? I didn't get to watch live because I was doing other stuff, and I would like to see it all before bedtime, please! (I already know what happens, but that's not the same as actually seeing the routines)

Are we taking bets on how they're showing the women's all-around tonight? I didn't get to watch live because I was doing other stuff, and I would like to see it all before bedtime, please! (I already know what happens, but that's not the same as actually seeing the routines)
As usual, 2 rotations and then endless swimming heats. :mad:

I've been watching on the NBC Sports app. They have the entire all-around uploaded there. Not the same commentators (former Olympians Courtney Kupets, Jonathon Hortan and some other guy) and it's a little stripped down...but you can watch everything!

I like watching swimming but I think they've been overdoing it with the swimming coverage this week.

As usual, 2 rotations and then endless swimming heats. :mad:

I've been watching on the NBC Sports app. They have the entire all-around uploaded there. Not the same commentators (former Olympians Courtney Kupets, Jonathon Hortan and some other guy) and it's a little stripped down...but you can watch everything!

I like watching swimming but I think they've been overdoing it with the swimming coverage this week.

I love swimming as much as anyone else, but it's definitely dominating the primetime coverage. Which I know is because the swimming is live, but still ... it's a little annoying.

I'm actually going to watch the second half of the all around online now so that I can go to sleep at a decent hour.

I love swimming as much as anyone else, but it's definitely dominating the primetime coverage. Which I know is because the swimming is live, but still ... it's a little annoying.

I'm actually going to watch the second half of the all around online now so that I can go to sleep at a decent hour.
Enjoy! I finished it and am watching some diving now. :) We will outsmart NBC Primetime!!

@Ariel484 @SarahDisney Confession! I cheated and watched the score updates online during the afternoon bc I just didn't want to have to stay up late......and then I stayed up late anyways. Oops.
I'm exhausted today so that was dumb of me.

If only they'd just let us set up the conference room tv during the day with olympics, I'd just live in there for the next week at work.

Fun fact: late night olympics tiredness is more tiring than running tiredness. At least running tiredness comes with a side helping of skip in my step energy usually.

The swimming. The swimming. The swimming. It is seemingly ENDLESS!!! I mean I love swimming, but come on! I don't need to see every heat and every semi-final. There's all these other things going on can't you even just show something like pre-recorded archery or something???

Anyway, the gymnastics all-around was great to watch, but like others said, I would have like to see some of the other competitors as well (and less SWIMMING)!!!!

I will say though the Michael Phelps is freaking 31 years old and still that freaking good. It's incredible really.

I'm with you guys about the schedule. Although I love watching swimming. But my sleep is taking a nose-dive. I got home late from a girl's night out (11:30pm) and gymnastics was still on! Thank goodness the little one decided to sleep in this morning. :surfweb:

Also, I love spoilers! Especially scary movies. Otherwise I'm cringing and freaking out during the Olympics. Spoilers for days!!!!!

It looks like track and field is happening right now. The women's 10k is in progress. So if anyone needs me for the next hour and 5 minutes I will be running around a track in Rio. Think that time will hold up for a medal? What comes waaaay after bronze medals? Tin-foil ball? Old quarter? Plastic milk ring?

I probably should stop typing as I think it is psyching out some of my competitors.

:surfweb:

Also, I love spoilers! Especially scary movies. Otherwise I'm cringing and freaking out during the Olympics. Spoilers for days!!!!!

Oh yes, before I was desensitized to game of thrones gross-ness I would read the online tv recaps to alert me to any brutal stuff. But by the middle seasons I learned to just hide behind my blanket repeating "is it over, is it over" until my hubby would give me the green light to come out of hiding.

When I am watching "race" events like swimming or track or speed skating, etc, I literally sit on the edge of my seat. And often I lean so far forward that I eventually scoot onto my ottoman and then sit on the edge of that. I have absolutley ZERO CHILL!

I will say though the Michael Phelps is freaking 31 years old and still that freaking good. It's incredible really.

The announcers kept mentioning the Phelps and Lochte call themselves the "old guys." I am now older than the "old guys"
Although I'm sure swimming like that puts at least 15+ extra years on your bones. So I'll just feel better with that justification.

Realized yall are probably on pins and needles waiting for my tempo run update for this week! Sorry to keep you all waiting!!!

Want to guess if I did it on a treadmill even though it's been soooo hot and humid? Nope, I ran it outside. :)

Ok so 6 miles. Broken out as
2mi WU 13:52
2mi Tempo 10:22
2mi CD 13:52

And I did:
13:28
12:58
10:07
10:00
13:20
13:42

So my WU & CD were closer to what they should be and I'm not gonna lie...I felt kind of like a rock star for my tempo. Both are more than -.10 but I was just in a really good zone that I wasn't watching my watch too much. I find looking at my watch makes me tempo segments feel like they take FOREVER so I kind of blind ran it a bit more than usual.

The CD was much easier to be slower after that of course!

I mentioned in the run thread just now that my long run happened during men's 10k but they beat me and they were going farther and I had a head start so I'll just leave it at that.

Oh I forgot to mention I've been working on keeping my body over or in front of legs instead of over striding and faster turnover when tempo-Ing. Work in progress but going well!

Edited: to add that I also now have mid-route public water fountain. This is an exciting development. I've ran past it maybe 50 times but never noticed it until hubby told me about it. It does need a lil run time to get cold though.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter