Rhode Island Folks

I am heading down Nov 9-17 at AKV.I also have BWV for April.It seems that MA has the week after as their school vacation week so I am hoping for less crowds.:rotfl:

We'll be there for Christmas....the first one away from RI! The WHOLE family is going too so that should be interesting!

We call North Providence home while we're waiting for our next trip to our other "home".

We own 230 points at OKW, and just bought in this past August 2007!

11/24/07 - 12/2/07 @ SSR
2/29/08 - 3/1/08 @ BWV (ESPN the Weekend!)

We'll be back in May 2008 for 5 nights at BCV! We're looking forward to it since we've never stayed at BCV and from what everyone says here....it sounds fabulous!

Anyone else going in May??

I just saw this thread! We have 350 points at BWV, have owned since 1998.

We live in Barrington (where my DH grew up). Our youngest just started college. We are going on our first trip "home" by ourselves at the end of January!!!

Glad to see so many locals here!

Denise :)

Just found this. Fun thread! I read through the whole thing because I wasn't sure if I had posted before. :rolleyes:
Oh! We were caught in WDW for Hurricane Charley, the first of the string of hurricanes that battered Orlando. We were in Epcot when it shut down and saw all the merchandise carts tethered to the ground, watched some CMs place boards across the bottom of the Innovention doors to prevent flooding, and saw the ticket booths all wrapped in cellophane. We had just moved that day from BWV to the Poly and had to stay inside the room that evening and our dinner was food from the Poly snack shop in the lobby. When the storm hit we watched from our balcony (where we were NOT supposed to be) :scared1: as a transformer across the lake blew and the MK went dark.:headache: The next day there were branches etc all over the grounds at the Poly and the pool was closed. We went to the MK that day ( IIRC it was the only park open) and were astounded at how well it handled the storm. Damage to MGM and Downtown Disney was more noticeable and sad.

I have to say that WDW handled the storm quite well and I would not let Hurricane Season stop me from visiting in that time frame.

Now the HEAT... well, that's another story.
We were there for Hurrican Charley too. The kids and I arrived the day before, and DH arrived that day. He called from the plane before takeoff, saying they announced that they were leaving on schedule but might get diverted. I remember the anxiety in the air! We went to Winn Dixie to buy coolers in case we lost power, and candles...the only candles left were scented; it was pretty funny, all these people standing around sniffing candles to make sure that if they needed to use them, they were going to smell good!

We went to MGM 45 minutes before it closed early, and then left to pick DH up at the airport. Had no idea what his travel situation was, but figured we'd go ahead and be there IF the plane arrived. It did, and boy, was I relieved. It had already started to rain tho, and his clothes got soaked through the suitcase just from transporting it from the plane.

We had always stayed in deluxe or DVC resorts (or partial trips offsite), but this time we stayed at Pop Century for a few days before moving to BWV. During the hurricane, I was on the DIS reading threads about singalongs and free food in the BWV lobby, while I was listening to a bunch of teenaged girls screaming and giggling on the Pop Century balconies! Ugh! Killed me! :laughing:

We were impressed that Pop never lost power, and were surprised the next day to see all the trees down. A few days later, we tried to go to a store offsite, and there were no traffic lights and tons of damage; it was amazing how well prepared Disney was. The day we had arrived, the kids and I drove around Celebration, and then we went back a few days later with DH; what a contrast between pre-storm and after.
Yeah I have seen that too. And how about EPCOT have you seen that?
I've seen the EPCOT plate! :yay:

I'm not a native RIer (originally from NJ, moved to MA with parents), but have lived here since '79, interrupted once for a year and a half after college when I lived in NY state. DH is a native (Lincoln) and I lived in Lincoln during college (near St Judes). We live in the northeast corner of RI now ;) after an initial couple of years in East Providence.

It was fun reading this thread to my DH...he had a few laughs.

Oh...about summer/August at WDW. We used to go every year for Thanksgiving weekend at Universal, then the following week at Disney...a wonderful time! Then, it got too difficult to take the kids out of school the older they got, so we started doing August with them. I HATE heat, but somehow, heat at WDW is a whole lot easier to deal with then schlepping around RI in the heat doing everyday activities, KWIM? Having been there as often as we have over the years, it's much easier to play it by ear and not worry about "seeing it all" if we want to just slow down and relax.

One more thing...BWV, 250 pts, Feb 2001. :)

Oh...about summer/August at WDW. We used to go every year for Thanksgiving weekend at Universal, then the following week at Disney...a wonderful time! Then, it got too difficult to take the kids out of school the older they got, so we started doing August with them. I HATE heat, but somehow, heat at WDW is a whole lot easier to deal with then schlepping around RI in the heat doing everyday activities, KWIM? Having been there as often as we have over the years, it's much easier to play it by ear and not worry about "seeing it all" if we want to just slow down and relax.

One more thing...BWV, 250 pts, Feb 2001. :)

We love August as well. Our oldest is in 5th grade, middle DS is in 3rd so it's getting harder to go during the school year. We went last August and I think we'll go in August '09 but we do have a trip planned for May '08 (almost at the 30 day mark!) They'll miss 5 days of school unfortunately but have been relatively healthy and have not missed more than 1-2 days this year. They're also get decent grades so I can't see it having a major impact (I think this is just my conscience talking :rotfl: ). I just don't think I could ever go to WDW during February or April vacations. So we either bite the bullet and take them out every couple of years or go in August. I'm not a 'heat' person either but you're right, heat on vacation in WDW is somehow easier to tolerate!:goodvibes

Ok, so AKV came up for points, so I just had to buy some there. Now I have more points than I know what to do with. :cool1: Remedy, take more trips, buy AP's to reduce the cost of entering parks, and enjoy. So, I have booked 4th of July at SSR. This will be somewhat traumatic for a former "Bristolian". What, 4th of July out of Bristol? :scared1: Through high school I used to march it twice, once with the high school band, and once with the drum and bugle corps. Well, I guess I will just have to suffer.

Then it's back again in August for a 3 day stay at AKV, then a 4 night cruise aboard the Wonder, and then to SSR for 3 more days. Plunked in the middle of these two trips is a week in Newport. It's the annual "boys week away", when my son and I spend the week together in Newport without those nagging females at home. :lmao:

Ah yes. Who could forget the "Bristol Day Parade"??

First and last time I ever went to it was 7/4/76. Oy. Do they still paint the stripes down the middle of the street red white and blue?

I am ashamed to say that I've lived in RI 36 of my 39 years (3yrs in Attleboro after getting married) and have never been to the Bristol 4th of July Parade :eek: ! Must put that on my list of things to do!! I think being in WDW for any holiday must be pretty awesome....somthing tells me you won't be wishing you were in Bristol while you're there.

I am ashamed to say that I've lived in RI 36 of my 39 years (3yrs in Attleboro after getting married) and have never been to the Bristol 4th of July Parade :eek: !
Around 28 years here in RI and I've never been to it either. Just sounds like a lot of WORK to get there early and find a spot. I welcome any new friendships with people who live on the parade route tho.
7.gif

Ah yes. Who could forget the "Bristol Day Parade"??

First and last time I ever went to it was 7/4/76. Oy. Do they still paint the stripes down the middle of the street red white and blue?

Oh yeah, they do. I no longer live in Bristol, but I believe they had to get a special permit from the RI DOT, since regulations dictate that there be two solid yellow lines on Hope St.

76, ahh, that was a special year for me. It was the year I graduated from "Bristol High School" (yeah, now Mt. Hope:rolleyes: ) So yes, you did see me twice that year. Once as Drum Major of the band, and once playing a bugle in the Valley Airs Drum and Bugle Corps. That was the most attendance of any parade. I believe they estimated the attendance at 2 million, and that is also the first year they extended the parade to its current 3 mile length. Prior to that it was 2 miles, and just went in a big circle starting on High & Franklin St, going left Washington, then left on Hope, and turning left on High ending at the common.

Boy, I went through the whole thread and I didn't see one Newporter (one mention about the Tennis Hall of Fame, but that's it). We were stationed in Newport for one glorious year. One year was not enough. But know that we've lived in Florida, I am completely convinced that I need to summer in Newport and winter in Florida. I now see why it's done. I'm sold! Sign me up!

I have booked 4th of July at SSR.

Then it's back again in August for a 3 day stay at AKV,

then a 4 night cruise aboard the Wonder,

and then to SSR for 3 more days.

Plunked in the middle of these two trips is a week in Newport.

Rick, whatever your job is.... I want it. :rotfl2: Color me jealous. :sick:

Mary

Around 28 years here in RI and I've never been to it either. Just sounds like a lot of WORK to get there early and find a spot. I welcome any new friendships with people who live on the parade route tho.
7.gif

50-something years here and I have never been to the Bristol parade either. :rotfl: Heck, I just made my first visit to Block Island (for one day) last summer. These things can't be rushed. :rotfl2:

50-something years here and I have never been to the Bristol parade either. :rotfl: Heck, I just made my first visit to Block Island (for one day) last summer. These things can't be rushed. :rotfl2:
Oh, I went to Block Island one time too! :rotfl: Actually, twice! Once before we had kids (that's the time I barfed my way from Galilee to Block Island and spent the rest of the day dreading the trip back), and the 2nd time (because DH actuallly talked me into getting back on that ferry) with oldest DD, who is now almost 20, when she was about a year old. She took her shoes off on the ferry and they got filthy, and I spent a large portion of the day looking for a store to buy a new pair of socks. Never did find one. Block Island is lovely, but I need civilization!

Rick, whatever your job is.... I want it. :rotfl2: Color me jealous. :sick:

Mary

School teacher, and believe me, I don't get to do this because of finances. I teach in a private school. :laughing: Thanks to smartly buying DVC, :thumbsup2 and those AP's, :thumbsup2 along with Southwest usually having some decent fares:thumbsup2 , I get to scratch the Disney itch:cool1: . Just leaves eating, and I gotta do that at home too. ;)

Boy, I went through the whole thread and I didn't see one Newporter (one mention about the Tennis Hall of Fame, but that's it). We were stationed in Newport for one glorious year. One year was not enough. But know that we've lived in Florida, I am completely convinced that I need to summer in Newport and winter in Florida. I now see why it's done. I'm sold! Sign me up!

Just for you....I took this from my sailboat 2 summers ago...you must recognize the background.

12m1.jpg

Hey everyone how are you all doing.Well my family and i are heading down to the world once again on june 29th -july 3rd we are taking the whole family and staying at the boardwalk.I am hoping also to come down again for the food and wine festival later in the year as well.By the way i am a huge providence bruins fan i have been a season ticket holder for sixteen years.We are going for the calder cup baby! See you all soon.MISSY BRUIN AND FAMILY

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter