Retina issue

ILoveMyDVC

DIS Veteran
Hi,
I have a dear friend who is 60 and full of life. She can no longer ride roller coasters because of a retina issue. My question, is does anyone know or have an educated guess, if FoP would count? I've rode it many times but never with the thought of the feeling on my eyes. Is there a pressure on the eyes I promised to find out as her doctor cannot advise having not experienced the ride. Anyone have insight? Please and thank you.

Hi,
I have a dear friend who is 60 and full of life. She can no longer ride roller coasters because of a retina issue. My question, is does anyone know or have an educated guess, if FoP would count? I've rode it many times but never with the thought of the feeling on my eyes. Is there a pressure on the eyes I promised to find out as her doctor cannot advise having not experienced the ride. Anyone have insight? Please and thank you.
Perhaps if she described the ride as a simulator ride, the doctor could advise her. Coasters have g-forces which FoP doesn’t have, so as long as the simulator movement was smooth and not jerky, it may be safe. I do not fit well on FoP so I don’t know how smooth it is. She could also show him a short video of the ride vehicle in motion, as I know I have seen several of those online.

My grandmother had a detached retina repaired and I don’t recall any issues at Disney, but she wasn’t a coaster fan and simulators weren’t a thing yet.

The movement in FoP is in the vertical axis similar to an elevator. The floor of the room moves up and down. I would estimate 4 feet of travel (this is why they want everything tucked completely into the storage bins). The floor of the room does not always remain level (like an elevator does). The back can remain high, while the front goes low, thus creating a feeling of pitching forward (or vice versa). There is also some tilting of the bike left and right.

The planDisney link that states there are "no g-forces" is incorrect. There is vertical acceleration (up and down).

Below is a link to a YouTube video that explains the physical design of the ride system and shows recorded video.

How It Works: Flight of Passage | Pandora - Avatar​

physical description starts at 9 minutes 40 seconds.

You could possibly use a g-force app on your phone to measure the actual g-forces.

She should ask her doctor if the roller-coaster restriction is temporary or permanent. Some people have conditions which make them susceptible to a detached retina..A sneeze may be emough to cause detachment. Once treated the restrictions might be gone.

I will add that you are wearing 3d glasses (the nicer kind, as seen in the video) and there are wind and water effects. The wind bothers my eyes, but I'm unsure how that may affect her.

The movement in FoP is in the vertical axis similar to an elevator. The floor of the room moves up and down. I would estimate 4 feet of travel (this is why they want everything tucked completely into the storage bins). The floor of the room does not always remain level (like an elevator does). The back can remain high, while the front goes low, thus creating a feeling of pitching forward (or vice versa). There is also some tilting of the bike left and right.

The planDisney link that states there are "no g-forces" is incorrect. There is vertical acceleration (up and down).

Below is a link to a YouTube video that explains the physical design of the ride system and shows recorded video.

How It Works: Flight of Passage | Pandora - Avatar​

physical description starts at 9 minutes 40 seconds.

You could possibly use a g-force app on your phone to measure the actual g-forces.
Pilot - that explains it. Thank you!

She should ask her doctor if the roller-coaster restriction is temporary or permanent. Some people have conditions which make them susceptible to a detached retina..A sneeze may be emough to cause detachment. Once treated the restrictions might be gone.
She is still in that phase. There hasn't been any treatment and I don't think any is scheduled.

Did she tell you what the name of the retina issue is? For example, macular degeneration or glaucoma.

honestly, there is a sensitive phase of retina issues. During this phase, I’d likely avoid almost every ride that had even the slightest jerky movement, acceleration or incline/up-down movement. It’s too delicate and too important To take a chance. She can ride next time.

honestly, there is a sensitive phase of retina issues. During this phase, I’d likely avoid almost every ride that had even the slightest jerky movement, acceleration or incline/up-down movement. It’s too delicate and too important To take a chance. She can ride next time.
She's a FLA resident and has been putting it off because she didn't know what FoP was like. I've rode it maybe a dozen times, but never thought of it from the perspective of pressure on the eye. She and her husband are my guests at OKW in September. As of the moment we are only at MK for the Halloween party and EPCOT the next day before heading home on Day 3. I will ask her more questions because she is a true fan of WDW and wants to ride it very much. She's back in our beloved N.E. but when she is back, I will question her.

I have had multiple retinal detachments and repairs, I Cannot ride coasters but have ridden FOP many times w,ith no issues. She needs to avoid Dinosour, all coasters, STar tours and any other rides that shake your head.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter