Resort class snobbery (maybe it's me)

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by RainK, Aug 9, 2013.

1. whitney37354

whitney37354 DIS Veteran

It's that way with everything in everyday life too: neighbhorhood you live in, car you drive, school/church you attend, clothes you wear, restaruarants you eat at. You have to learn to try not to pay attention to what everyone else is doing/saying/eating/driving, etc. It should only matter that you want to or don't want to do/eat/drive/wear, that particular thing.

I've told my family that they should be able to function as a normal human being anywhere. If it's a fancier place than you normally go to, just act like you belong there & you'll be fine. When in Rome, I always say...

Last trip we stayed at CR, atrium club level. No, we really couldn't afford it, and yes, we paid on that CC bill for years. We acted liked we belonged there & had no issues. Why? Because we did belong there, just as much as anyone else did who had paid to be there. Next trip is in our camper at Ft. Wilderness. Our regular vacations are spending camping in the mountains. We fit in just fine there too!

If I see someone with a new shiny thing, I just figure they have another bill to pay. If I see someone with something older, as long as it's working and clean, what do I care?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. cobright

cobright DIS Veteran

There really is some truth to what the OP said about mod resorts. True-blue snobs can't find anything really snobby to say about them and the budget travelers don't get defensive about them either.

It's odd that anyone would even really care, but I have seen it and some people really do.

I have family that jabs at us when we talk about all the restaurant dining we do at WDW. To them it's hoighty-toighty of us to not pack sandwiches into the park every day like they did... for every meal... for 5 days... sandwiches...

4. blackmamba10000

blackmamba10000 always counting down till the next trip!

Until our last trip, I had never stayed at a value resort. My husband and I did a split stay at The Polynesian and at Pop Century. While the Polynesian was beautiful and it will always remain my favorite Disney Resort, I was absolutely surprised by how much the two of us loved Pop Century. In fact, we loved it so much, we are going back in October again! I think some people shouldn't knock the value resorts until they've tried it! I'd be happy at any of the Disney Resorts. :)

5. valeriets20

valeriets20 Earning My Ears

we have stayed at many different disney hotels, once even at the Hilton, because we could not get into anywhere. ( It was for the millenium) anway our favorite value is All Star Sports.

We also hear a lot of "again".

6. GadgetTheInventor

GadgetTheInventor Mouseketeer

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I share DNA with the worst WDW snob I know. He just won't accept that anybody else is justified in spending a penny more than he does. I was explaining to him the other day about Victoria and Albert's and his response was "That's crazy! Those couples will never be able to afford to buy a house!". That is pretty much his running dialogue whenever he comes along...it's folks like these who aren't saving up for retirement and will find themselves dependent on the government when they get old.

I've never felt looked down upon at WDW for staying at a value and I don't even bother discussing with people outside these boards and my family the fact that I go to WDW during vacations. One of the reasons that I like going to WDW is the lack of class snobbery. Attempting to eat a Mickey Bar in the hot sun seems to be a great equalizer.

7. YankeePrincess

YankeePrincess I love Donald Duck

I don't have this problem. Actually my problem is more like this:

Me: I'm going on vacation

Others: Where?

Me: Disney..duh

Others: AGAIN?!

:rotfl:

Have a great trip!