Resort class snobbery (maybe it's me)

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by RainK, Aug 9, 2013.

1. RainK

RainK Mouseketeer

Maybe it's me, but I find that people are very opinionated (not just on boards, but in REAL LIFE) when you tell them what hotel you're staying at.

It usually goes something like: "youre so lucky. I wish i was going. Where are you staying?" I normally say the name of a value resort and I get the "oh, okay....that's cool" comment. This time around, when I say "beach club" I get a response of either "wow, must be nice" (insunuating that i have $) or "that's awesome.great choice" (meaning that's equivalent to where they would stay too.) but when you say a mod ....no one really cares either way.

We actually LOVE value resorts. We enjoy the larger than life decor and the ample pools. We even like the food court and don't mind the buses. We CHOOSE to stay at a value resort and look forward to it. :thumbsup2

I just don't get the "snobbery" about it. It's Disney and does it REALLY matter where you lay your head at night or which pool you're swimming in? :confused3

Everyone likes what they like OR can afford what they can afford and people just seem to have to comment either way. No matter where you stay, you're on vacation and it's going to be awesome.

Ok. I'm done now.....just venting/sharing a bit. :rotfl:
    8 days until vacation for us...woooo hoooo:cheer2:

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. freckles04

freckles04 DIS Veteran

I have not experienced this myself. Everyone I know that goes to WDW stays offsite and they think I'm nuts for spending any $$ for onsite. :rotfl:

4. jcjen519

jcjen519 DIS Veteran

honestly, i have never encountered anything like this. we aren't friends with too many people who are into Disney though. most don't even know which resort is which. haha!

5. DisneyFamily123

DisneyFamily123 Use the Force, Luke!

I love the value resorts. Much more Disney themed than others. The one thing I really appreciate though is having a queen size bed.... that extra room in the bed helps me and DW get a better night's sleep. The money saved by being at a value resort is good to spend on other things!

6. poconopixie

poconopixie Basking in the ambience.

I have not seen this from friends or family either. But then, I have only been to WDW once and it will be 2 more years before I am there again. I have to $ave because Disney is expen$ive! Even at a Value!

While a Value would not be my cup of tea, I would never think less of someone for choosing one. They are cute and whimsical and charming. If my children were younger I would probably choose one myself because children seem to love the larger than life theming.

Don't let someone make you feel bad for your choice. Just go and have a great time and know you made the perfect choice for you!

7. Allison

Allison DIS Veteran

I haven't seen it either but most of my friends wouldn't know the name of any Disney resort.

8. Mousemommy1

Mousemommy1 DIS Veteran

In real life, no one asks where we are staying. We never get that far into the conversation because they usually tune out once they find out we are going to Disney again. :rolleyes:

9. RainK

RainK Mouseketeer

OP here. It seriously seems to happen to me often. Even happened to be tonight.
    Like I said....."maybe it's me" :confused3

10. cfriend416

cfriend416 DIS Veteran

THIS. I always get, "All the places you could go on vacation and you choose Disney again?" Yes. Yes I do. I have my whole life to see other places. At this point in my life, Disney is what I'm into! Plus, the only other vacations I'd like to take (like a trip to Ireland or a road trip to national parks out west) are not feasible right now. So Disney it is!

11. jcjen519

jcjen519 DIS Veteran

apparently you hang out with people who like Disney. :) i agree with a pp no one cares about our Disney trips anymore.

12. Cadyrose

Cadyrose Mouseketeer

I have seen exactly what you're talking about...at least with family and friends around me.

If they here that we're going, I get either "again?" and I even got the "you're addicted". I politely respond with a reminder that when a family frequents the same ski resort every other weekend or rents the same house down on Cape Cod the exact same week every year, no one seems to have anything to say about that...

We have tried 2 values (ASMovies and Pop) and 2 deluxe (WL and GF). Once I started to mention that we are going to GF again, I do get the "lots of money look)...

Actually, no...our family loves Disney and we work very hard to make sure necessities are paid and then that we can splurge on the one vacation we get a year...with that I have never gone without some form of a deal or promotion... I plan and plan but it pays off...

13. alc571

alc571 DIS Veteran

LOL! I hear ya!

I work in a government legal department with two DVC members and the head of our department who stays at the GF! I always feel my choice of POR is inadequate to theirs, but honestly even if I had their money, I would still pick POR! Just love it more - theme, location, queen beds...

I would never snub my nose at someone staying at a Value resort or any other resort. I love their larger than life Disney themeing, but they don't tick enough of our boxes.

14. sweetnjmom

sweetnjmom DIS Veteran

I have stayed in values, moderates and a deluxe and my monetary preference is for a value... my comfort preference is for a deluxe. We were going to stay at a moderate this trip but snagged free dining at WL and now will be at a deluxe (at the same cost of a moderate).

I prefer more subtle theming and larger rooms. The time I was at All Star Music, I felt the walls were even thinner than most hotel rooms and slept poorly. I do like the idea of being only a boat ride away from the Magic Kingdom, too.

15. TravelMommy

TravelMommy Mouseketeer

Rain, have a great trip! We love the value resorts too! We love the theming and the food courts. :)

16. RainK

RainK Mouseketeer

Thanks a bunch!

17. v.t.

v.t. DIS Veteran

I totally agree! Except the snob happens to be a relative. We have stayed at BC and ASMusic, and I much preferred the value. This time we are staying at a mod for FD. The kids want TS meals and I want the queen bed. But I bet if we get to go back it will be to 2 values.
    I mentioned to a certain relative that we would like to see the WL, so guess what she booked yesterday, that's right, WL. Because they really don't like having to take the buses to all the parks. :snooty:

18. Good Morning Dewdrop

Good Morning Dewdrop Have Courage & Be Kind

so true!

In my head we could do one deluxe type stay per year or every other year or we could go multiple times staying at a value - no brainer for us!

19. Mousemommy1

Mousemommy1 DIS Veteran

I hear ya! We stayed at YC in April, and you better believe I have no issues with the fact that I am staying at POFQ next month. I had to pick a cheaper resort for next month but at least I get to go again this year! :beach:

It's all Disney!

20. juliebug1997

juliebug1997 DIS Veteran

LOL. :lmao:

We're staying at WL this time as some compensation from DH for us having to cancel this year's trip twice. Next year, we're looking at staying at the CR in the tower, but we're both turning 40 and it's our 5th anniversary. Normally, we stay at POR for our longer trips, so these two are definitely splurges!

21. jeepnx01

jeepnx01 Earning My Ears

It has happened to me. I look at it this way, All that I do at the hotel is sleep and shower. Why should I spend big $$$ for that? I'd rather spend as little as possible on that. I am there for the parks not the rooms.