Resort board pet peeves?

My pet peeve is based on using the resort specific threads. If you start a new thread about a specific resort question someone might say "ask in the resort specific thread", but there are so many people chit chatting about everyday life and whatnot that it takes forever to find the information you need in those threads (for some threads not all of them). Or you ask a question and it gets lost in the thread and never answered because between your question and anyone who could answer it is pages upon pages of babble!

Maybe it's just me, but anything beyond the first couple of pages of a resort specific thread is just hard to use. I know people make friends and want to stay connected though so I'm sure that's why it's like that.

Though that's a pet peeve it doesn't stop me from using the board and of course I still love it, flaws and all!

:thumbsup2 TOTALLY !!! The first page or 2, where they describe the resort and show pics is very helpful...after that it seems like everyone is just talking about when they're going, Uncle Joe is sick this week, Susie got an A in science....:rotfl:.....it's kind of hard to cull through all that to find out where the ice makers and soda machines are! :rolleyes1 And in the time it takes for someone to reply, "go over to the so-and-so resort board" you probably could have just answered the posters original questions.

This thread is funny. I have to agree with a couple that have already been posted:

1. Unnecessary use of CAPITALS and punctuation!!!!!!! That really irritates me for some reason.

2. When someone asks, "Has anyone ever stayed at....". I'm always tempted to reply with, "Nope, no one, ever. That resort has sat vacant since the day it opened."

I'm also annoyed by the myriad of questions on room/building requests on the resort threads. Seriously, get a map, look where everything is, do a little research and pick what you think is best for you. Is it really that hard?

Or this one...."I booked a standard room/standard view, but I HAVE to be close to the food court, close to the pool, close to transportation, close to the parking lot, on the second floor, third door down from the right, facing east....oh and I want a nice view too. What room should I request?" :confused3

Oh well, I guess if my biggest gripes today are about how people post on a Disney planning website, then life is pretty good! :)

I think I have a new one. People who criticise other people's pet peeves on a pet peeve thread. I'm all for discussion, but this I just don't get. A particular peeve may not be irksome to you, but it obviously is to someone. :goodv:confused3bes

I have other pet peeves, which have already been pointed out by others, but one I would add is the "squeaky wheel gets the grease" phenomenon I see on this board and the restaurant board (and pretty much all the boards). It seems the complaint threads get more attention (and posts) than ones where questions are asked and answered, or overall reviews of a resort that share experiences (good and bad), though people seem to focus much more on the negatives of honest reviews than what is usually the 90% of the rest of the review that was positive.

Some of the complaints are so ridiculous to begin with that it's difficult to take them seriously, but some people do anyway and then go in the opposite extreme in WDW's defense, mostly by name-calling or going to ridiculous lengths to defend WDW in regards to what seem to be valid complaints. All it takes is one over-the-line "trolling" post and the thread gets out of hand with indignant responses, and ends up being closed by a moderator.

I have to admit I read the complaint threads, mostly because I hope to find information that will help me make a more informed vacation decision in the future, and I think a lot of other people do. But if the complaint itself is obviously "trolling", or responses to the complaint are "trolling", bumping the thread back up with another post pointing out the "trolling" isn't going to help; it just brings it right back to everyone else's attention. It's better to ignore ridiculous ones once you've read them than to prolong the life of the thread with another post.

I guess another peeve of mine is when someone sincerely wishes something were the case at WDW or its resorts, and then someone else comes along with an "economic reality" post, along the lines of "WDW isn't going to pay that much for something for which there is no proven market". I have to admit I do this sometimes myself. But if that were really and truly the case all the time with Disney, there never would have been a Mickey Mouse, Disneyland, or everything that came after that. Many of what we now consider to be great innovations by Disney were once ideas like "I wish ..... was the case."

I think I have a new one. People who criticise other people's pet peeves on a pet peeve thread. I'm all for discussion, but this I just don't get. A particular peeve may not be irksome to you, but it obviously is to someone. :goodv:confused3bes

:thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 TOTALLY !!! The first page or 2, where they describe the resort and show pics is very helpful...after that it seems like everyone is just talking about when they're going, Uncle Joe is sick this week, Susie got an A in science....:rotfl:......
You forgot recipes, local weather conditions, and pictures of granddaugters. This kind of stuff belongs on the community boards, but at the end of the day shouldn't the moderators be doing a better job of enforcing dis rules about posting.

I think everyone's just having a little bit of fun and laughing a little bit. It's not meant to be antagonistic. :flower3:

Or this one...."I booked a standard room/standard view, but I HAVE to be close to the food court, close to the pool, close to transportation, close to the parking lot, on the second floor, third door down from the right, facing east....oh and I want a nice view too. What room should I request?" :confused3

Oh well, I guess if my biggest gripes today are about how people post on a Disney planning website, then life is pretty good! :)

:lmao::lmao::lmao:So true!

As we have all deviated a bit from the resorts part of this ;) here is something that really bugs me:

Just because you don't like something at WDW doesn't mean it is bad and needs to be fixed to your standards. People complain all the time about how they don't like a certain ride or resort or menu, and IT MUST BE CHANGED TO HOW I LIKE IT!!!!

No it doesn't. Some of us like Malestrom, or the burgers at Pecos Bills, or the theming of the food court at POFQ. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it is wrong or bad. We don't all like the same things. Go eat somewhere where you like the menu and the decor, stay somewhere where you like the theming. Plenty of stuff to chose from at WDW.

My biggest pet peeve:

When someone has a bad time/issue at Disney and they hear from the Disneycheer squad.

" When you get lemons, make lemonade" or

" a bad day at Disney is better than a good day at work"

Um, not always. Sometimes people have valid gripes and they should be able to air them without having to be told to make citrus drinks.

My pet peeve is when someone doesn't like a thread, but they stay around and keep complaining about it. There are so many threads on the DIS that there must be multiple threads that please every individual poster. It would be easier to move on to a pleasing thread, than to stick around and complain about one they don't like.

I don't understand why some posters raise the same complaint over and over until eventually a moderator has to come in and send posters to a time out. The moderators should be there to keep out the flamers and trolls, not to make sure regular posters act like grown ups.

My pet peeve is when someone doesn't like a thread, but they stay around and keep complaining about it. There are so many threads on the DIS that there must be multiple threads that please every individual poster. It would be easier to move on to a pleasing thread, than to stick around and complain about one they don't like.

I don't understand why some posters raise the same complaint over and over until eventually a moderator has to come in and send posters to a time out. The moderators should be there to keep out the flamers and trolls, not to make sure regular posters act like grown ups.

:thumbsup2

Agreed :thumbsup2

My pet peeve will probably sound silly but...
I really get irritated when someone decides to spend thousands of dollars on a vacation, and then post asking if the condiments at the food court are free because breakfast is just too expensive so we're bringing having bread delivered and don't want to buy peanut butter and plastic utensils.... Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't walk into a McDonalds to grab a straw or salt for something I bought elsewhere.

webstah said:
I really get irritated when someone decides to spend thousands of dollars on a vacation, and then post asking if the condiments at the food court are free because breakfast is just too expensive so we're bringing having bread delivered and don't want to buy peanut butter and plastic utensils.... Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't walk into a McDonalds to grab a straw or salt for something I bought elsewhere.

110% agree. It shocks me to read these posts on here.

To add to this people that spend thousands of dollars on a vacatio and then complain that it takes them two hours to get their dinner reservations. Budget some money for taxis, rent a car, or just deal with it. I personally cant understand why people are so put off that they should have to spend money on taxis. Any where else you vacation you would.

Mine have been mentioned already:

1. Copying all the photos when replying to a post. Ugh.

2. Using the resort-specific threads as a chat room. I understand that friendships are formed on DIS and that's great -- start a new thread for it and let the resort thread remain about the resort. So hard to find information/get answers on some of those threads because of it.

3. "What's the weather like...." Weather.com anyone?

4. People who get personally offended when someone doesn't share their opinion about a resort. If everyone liked the same things, Disney wouldn't have so many completely different resorts.

5. Answers along the lines of, "Well, I've never stayed there, but here's why I hate it...." Wha?

:worship: Yes, this is one of my pet peeves too!!

As we have all deviated a bit from the resorts part of this ;) here is something that really bugs me:

Just because you don't like something at WDW doesn't mean it is bad and needs to be fixed to your standards. People complain all the time about how they don't like a certain ride or resort or menu, and IT MUST BE CHANGED TO HOW I LIKE IT!!!!

No it doesn't. Some of us like Malestrom, or the burgers at Pecos Bills, or the theming of the food court at POFQ. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it is wrong or bad. We don't all like the same things. Go eat somewhere where you like the menu and the decor, stay somewhere where you like the theming. Plenty of stuff to chose from at WDW.

What? You don't think the kids menu at BOG should be changed because there's nothing on it my kids will eat??? ;)

(Totally kidding....I don't even have any kids)

bowbat said:
2. Using the resort-specific threads as a chat room. I understand that friendships are formed on DIS and that's great -- start a new thread for it and let the resort thread remain about the resort. So hard to find information/get answers on some of those threads because of it.

I agree! Not only hard to find info but it made me feel as if I had plopped myself into a coffee klatch and was intruding when I asked questions. I felt as if only other "outsiders" responded to my questions and my post expressing my " thanks!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter