• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Regarding saved chairs at the pool

We got stuck in a pile up on our last cruise stuck in the hallway on deck 2. :( That hadn't happened on the previous 2 cruises.

On one of our cruises my husband had the hammock and left his fanny pack looped through the hammock so it wouldn't fall off, while he went snorkeling. I had not got off the ship yet. He was gone 1/2 hour. When he returned there was a man laying in the hammock. He had un-looped the fanny pack and put it on the ground. Needless to say we did not get our hammock back the rest of the day.

I guess the philosophy-move your feet,loose your seat-is prevalent everywhere people want to sit and the seats are in high demand. Will the CM's on ship clear towels off of the chairs aound the pools if they are unoccupied? I think they should. I believe it is rude of people to "reserve a seat" with towels or such for more that 20 minutes. Everyone on the cruise or beach is entitled to enjoy relaxing in an un-occupied seat/lounge or whatever.

Lounge chair "saving" goes on every where. Ive been on a few vacations in the Caribbean and you will see towels on chairs all day and no one claiming them for hours (or at all).

If youve made the effort to get off the boat early and grab a great spot, good for you, enjoy, but if youre going off for more than just lunch, be kind and allow others to have a chance to enjoy as well :thumbsup2

It is sad that there aren't enough hammocks for everyone so I agree we all need to share. I do not think that being the first one off the ship entitles anyone to special use priveldeges for the entire day. The idea posed that they should be used for a bit then move on so others can enjoy it sounds right to me.

Why don't they add some more hammocks at CC, first of all. Then, attach a wind up kitchen timer to each one with a one hour limit. If you need to leave your hammock temporarily, wind up the timer. This will let any passersby know that it is occupied and you intend to return within the hour, or however much time is remaining on the timer. If you see a free hammock with its timer at zero, it's free for the taking.

Here's another idea: If you wish to leave your hammock temporarily to swim, eat or use the facilities and intend on returning shortly, ask someone near you if they would hold the hammock for you. I'm sure you could find someone who would like the use of the hammock, even for a short time, and when you return, you just switch places.

Next thing you know, they will be charging for rental of the hammocks.

I have always had a problem with people who have a mentality that they own a chair or hammock by a pool or on CC. Just because you are the first one there does not mean you own the item for the entire day. I have always been one who believes if you are not using something then let someone else use it. Now I understand if you are just swimming or grabbing something to eat, but when you go hours without using the item I see this as being a hog. Some people become so possive.

I was in Aruba at a resort and me and DW were sitting on the beach and there was one of those oversized hammocks, somebody had placed some stuff at the base of it, after about an hour I ordered a drink and decided to relax in the hammock. Some lady came running over from about 50 feet away and was screaming that the hammock belonged to her and her family. I simply stated that when anyone in her family would like to use I would get up immediately and give it to them. She went over and got security and they came over and listened to both sides. they told her that she could not hold the hammock for future use and that I would allow them to use it when they wanted, which the guard told me I didn't have to do, but she was still plenty mad.

I laid in the hammock for about an hour and then rejoined my DW on the beach, no one from that woman's family used the hammock for the remainder of the day. about 3 times we would watch someone walk over and not use the hammock,even though it was obvious they wanted to.

misseulalie said:
I thought I would have this problem in May, but I realized with a 3 and 5 year old, there was no way I was going to be able to relax on a lounge chair. There are so many kids in that pool that I was constantly having to watch DD's.
DD's are not the best swimmers and was worried about their safety with the bigger kids, and of course watching them to make sure they didn't wander off by themselves or with a stranger...

I just ended up sitting at the end of the pool the entire time.
I noticed most mom's were by the side of the pool watching, not lounging...
So if you have little ones, you may never get to relax!!! :rolleyes:

This made me laugh as I will be one of the moms who doesn't get to enjoy the "lounge chairs" :teeth:

thomprod said:
Why don't they add some more hammocks at CC, first of all. Then, attach a wind up kitchen timer to each one with a one hour limit. If you need to leave your hammock temporarily, wind up the timer. This will let any passersby know that it is occupied and you intend to return within the hour, or however much time is remaining on the timer. If you see a free hammock with its timer at zero, it's free for the taking.

Here's another idea: If you wish to leave your hammock temporarily to swim, eat or use the facilities and intend on returning shortly, ask someone near you if they would hold the hammock for you. I'm sure you could find someone who would like the use of the hammock, even for a short time, and when you return, you just switch places.

I think this is exactly backwards. If anyone has used a hammock for an hour, they need to move on and give someone else a chance. And a vacant hammock should be free for the taking. This from someone who has never spent more than a minute or two in a hammock and has little if any interest in the ones on CC. It just seems fair and considerate.

I would just pick up the towel and move it....when we've been to the Mickey pool...there are never enough chairs. We finally got two loungers that we shared between the four of us and then when DH would go to the pool it was free for someone to use.

Sorry, but this wouldn't work. Why should someone have to regather all their things and stop their children from playing nearby so they can move down the beach where they can find an empty lounger after an hour? We have been on CC twice without a hammock and were lucky enough to share one last trip. We enjoyed ourselves just as much the first two trips.

Okay ... my two cents!
Around pools at hotels (and we plan to do this on the cruise), my family of 5 just puts all of our stuff on one lounger.
There is always one adult in the pool with the kids and if the other adult wants to lounge, then we just use that one.
I agree that if all members of your party are in the pool, it's not fair to spread out all your stuff on a full row of loungers.
As for the hammocks, it kind of reminds me of the policy in most gyms.
There are a limited number of treadmills, ellipticals, etc., so people are only allowed to use them for 30 minutes if there is someone waiting.
Since it seems the hammocks would always have someone waiting, I agree that 1 hour seems a fair time.
I like the timer idea - Maybe even have a sign up sheet of some kind?
Of course, this is all a moot point for me ... no way my kids are gonna let me lay in a hammock plus I want to enjoy CC with them too much!
I think being thoughtful and courteous is always the best way to go.
Have fun!
Rose :)

Hammocks- Walk further down the beach, there were plenty of hammocks available way down at the other end of the family beach when we were there. Some no one looked at all day.

Chairs by the pool. Move their stuff if they aren't there in 30 minutes. We were up early and at the Goofy pool just after breakfast. People had put "reading" material down and gone off for breakfast. Gimme a break. Actually, we took the whole chair :) and went where there was more sun. Then watched. It was fun- but some poor cast member had to go find them a "new" chair when they came back 2 hours later when the sun was higher.

WldWcnWmn said:
I am putting on Flame Retardant Suit...

Not to cause trouble (I cause trouble even when I'm not trying to) but on Castaway Cay we timed an empty hammock for 45 minutes...I moved the towel off and me and my daughter got on. About a hour later (I fell asleep) some lady came up to me and said she had been saving the hammock. I said, "Aw that's too bad, since you should not save hammocks and lounge chairs, however since I am awake now I'll reliquish it to you." Me and my daughter then went to Cookies (it was about noon) She was NOT pleased...but she got "her hammock" back. I am gonna' join the lurkers now popcorn::

You *GO GIRL*!!!! :worship: :worship:

I've never had a problem finding a chair by the pool. Most of the time I do go to the upper deck though. At Castaway I have never been in a hammock, but I do not worry about it. A chair works just as well for me. Although if someone was gone for 45 minutes and I really wanted a hammock I would have moved the towel too. :)

Maybe we are weird, but we have never had a big problem finding chairs (or hammocks) at CC, the Magic or VWL eg.

True, sometimes its crowded, and we might not get the exact spot we want...ALso, for a family of 4, we never take more than 2 chairs - our kids are in the water the WHOLE time...When they get out, we just chair a lounge with them.

I was worried about this on our cruise, but was glad to experience NO seat saving at the theater or pool.

(I must confess - I did save a chair for my DH or DD occasionally. Seemed like every time we sat down in the theater someone had to get up and get a drink or go to the bathroom. Might have helped that we went to the afternoon shows...)

One man's opinion...stated policy is "no saving", so if you're not there, it's available. That's why they have a policy.

Our family of 7 will typically take 2 lounge chairs for us and all of our stuff. 2 in the chair, 5 on the beach or in the water. If we are all going somewhere, like lunch, it's free game for the next guy.

I find it ironic that those who actually follow the stated official policy are somehow made to feel guilty by those who look only for their own interests. Flame all you want, but if you're not there, your chair is mine!

myboysmom said:
Hammocks- Walk further down the beach, there were plenty of hammocks available way down at the other end of the family beach when we were there. Some no one looked at all day.

Chairs by the pool. Move their stuff if they aren't there in 30 minutes. We were up early and at the Goofy pool just after breakfast. People had put "reading" material down and gone off for breakfast. Gimme a break. Actually, we took the whole chair :) and went where there was more sun. Then watched. It was fun- but some poor cast member had to go find them a "new" chair when they came back 2 hours later when the sun was higher.

Never thought of that...moving the chair. On our DCL cruises we did ask a cast member to help us and they did. Moving chairs from different decks...if you ask, they will help you. I hope.

We have had hammocks on our cruises and did use them. The whole time. I have a teenager. He snoozed and we had to get him out of there so we could enjoy it. :goodvibes We were off the ship within 20 minutes of disembarking. My DH did wait in a line. I could go without a hammock next time.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/538973532/1539040217084062680dmLjBp

Doesn't matter where your chairs are on the beach. Be prepared for people to drag their chairs to water front.....I thought that was a great idea. Why rush off the ship when you can just take chairs to the water front.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/538973532/1539040396084062680BaORgU

waltsgirl said:
My husband gets up early to be one of the first off the ship to go and get a Hammock. We use it and stay all day. We do, however, leave our area to go to Cookies to eat, just like you and your daughter did. We leave our things on our chairs and the Hammock. I have never timed our lunch but it could take 45 mins or longer. Sometimes our daughter will decide she wants to dance with the DJ or the characters come out. We do return and we want the chairs and the hammock.

Please don't take this the wrong way but I have a different take on the hammocks. Unlike the lounges, chairs and umbrellas which are numerous, there are only a few hammocks and while I appreciate the concept of getting up early, I view the hammocks as a limited and therefore shared commodity.

I would liken it to the swings at a playground. Would it be fair to claim exclusive ownership of a swing for the day and not allow other families to take turns?

Similarly, what if one large family got up early every day, staked out the hot tubs and stayed there the whole cruise? Can you picture getting in to soak when one of them gets out and forty minutes later they return with a hot dog platter and say "Hey! You took my spot!"?

My simple opinion is that any resource that is limited like that should be shared fairly.

Edit: After posting this I read the remaining responses and it seems I was being redundant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter