Regarding saved chairs at the pool

Melody80

Mouseketeer
Getting ready for my first Disney cruise in just a few days!

Ive read alot on here about how many people 'save' pool chairs and never use them.

Say you were at the pool for some time now and there are still no available chairs. You noticed the whole time you have been at the pool there as been a set of chairs with towles on them, maybe even a magazine, but in all this time no one has sat in them or even gone anywhere near them. Would it be okay to move the towel and what not to the other chair so you could sit down? Or would that be just as rude as the people hogging the chairs they arnt even using.

I wouldn't want to cause trouble with anyone but I wouldn't want to sit on the deck all afternoon either.

This is one of the hot-button issues... DCL's policy is no saving chairs. Now that gets translated to many different meanings - some say move your butt & I am taking your chair, others say I can leave my shoe on it all day if I want...

We avoid the entire problem & just find a seat on deck 10 overlooking the pools.

Someone pass the popcorn::

People are not supposed to save chairs, everyone does but there are limits, I get up early 5am so I have no problem, but I'm also at the pool by 7:30am and stay all day. I'd take a chair if they come within a half hour give it up but not after that. :love: :Pinkbounc

Im sorry if this is a hot topic. I didn't mean to stir the pot or anything, promise! Ive havn't been reading the boards for very long and hadn't read anything other than -
1. saving chairs is against the rules, and
2. People do it anyway by leaving there stuff on them and coming back hours later

I was just wondering if moving there stuff was okay. Has anyone moved someone things and had said person come back throwing a fit?

Thanks for the tip about Deck ten! I will check it out when I want to watch my teens swim but stay away from the action. However I also have 2 toddlers and will need to be at the pool with them while they swim.

If there is just a wadded up towel, I would say you're okay moving it because a lot of people just leave their towels there when they are done.

If it's been like over an hour, I will move them. If someone comes back and throws a fit, I will get up and move, but that's never happened.

I am putting on Flame Retardant Suit...

Not to cause trouble (I cause trouble even when I'm not trying to) but on Castaway Cay we timed an empty hammock for 45 minutes...I moved the towel off and me and my daughter got on. About a hour later (I fell asleep) some lady came up to me and said she had been saving the hammock. I said, "Aw that's too bad, since you should not save hammocks and lounge chairs, however since I am awake now I'll reliquish it to you." Me and my daughter then went to Cookies (it was about noon) She was NOT pleased...but she got "her hammock" back. I am gonna' join the lurkers now popcorn::

I just wanted to state that IMHO a lot of saving goes on, and a lot is minunderstood. If you are up early, you often see them cleaning the decks, and placing a towel on EACH chair near the pools, especially the Mickey Pool. I think people come along later and assume they are spoken for, when in all actuality, they are not. So, not always someone hogging a chair..

If there is a just towel, it can be removed, however sometimes people dump their whole lives on the chair, and never us it. :rolleyes:

WldWcnWmn said:

Not to cause trouble (I cause trouble even when I'm not trying to) but on Castaway Cay we timed an empty hammock for 45 minutes...I moved the towel off and me and my daughter got on. About a hour later (I fell asleep) some lady came up to me and said she had been saving the hammock. I said, "Aw that's too bad, since you should not save hammocks and lounge chairs, however since I am awake now I'll relinquish it to you." Me and my daughter then went to Cookies (it was about noon) She was NOT pleased...but she got "her hammock" back. I am gonna' join the lurkers now popcorn::

Try these. They have always worked for me.

Scenario one:

Ask in a modest voice to vicinity of the object, chair/hammock etc, "is this fill in the blank in use?" If no one responds enjoy.

Scenario two :

Owner returns within 20 minutes, the time it would take to run to their cabin or get a bite, apologie, say you thought it was available and relocate.

Scenario three :

Owner returns much later and stakes a claim. Say politely, "I'm real sorry I sat here after the last person left and took their things. Would you like me to move?"

Call me stupid but I think it's a fair balance to both sides and avoids words.

I don't think it is unfair to expect a hammock to wait for you while you make a pit stop, take a dip or grab a snack. But if someone stretches the privilege I think #3 is a good way to make that point without inviting hard feelings from either side.

Kissimmee said:
Scenario three :
Owner returns much later and stakes a claim. Say politely, "I'm real sorry I sat here after the last person left and took their things. Would you like me to move?"

I LOVE THIS ONE! :thumbsup2

WldWcnWmn said:

Not to cause trouble (I cause trouble even when I'm not trying to) but on Castaway Cay we timed an empty hammock for 45 minutes...I moved the towel off and me and my daughter got on. About a hour later (I fell asleep) some lady came up to me and said she had been saving the hammock. I said, "Aw that's too bad, since you should not save hammocks and lounge chairs, however since I am awake now I'll reliquish it to you." Me and my daughter then went to Cookies (it was about noon) She was NOT pleased...but she got "her hammock" back. I am gonna' join the lurkers now popcorn::

My husband gets up early to be one of the first off the ship to go and get a Hammock. We use it and stay all day. We do, however, leave our area to go to Cookies to eat, just like you and your daughter did. We leave our things on our chairs and the Hammock. I have never timed our lunch but it could take 45 mins or longer. Sometimes our daughter will decide she wants to dance with the DJ or the characters come out. We do return and we want the chairs and the hammock.

waltsgirl said:
My husband gets up early to be one of the first off the ship to go and get a Hammock. We use it and stay all day. We do, however, leave our area to go to Cookies to eat, just like you and your daughter did. We leave our things on our chairs and the Hammock. I have never timed our lunch but it could take 45 mins or longer. Sometimes our daughter will decide she wants to dance with the DJ or the characters come out. We do return and we want the chairs and the hammock.

What time should you get up and be ready in order to assure getting a hammock? Do people line up to leave the ship?

I thought I would have this problem in May, but I realized with a 3 and 5 year old, there was no way I was going to be able to relax on a lounge chair. There are so many kids in that pool that I was constantly having to watch DD's.
DD's are not the best swimmers and was worried about their safety with the bigger kids, and of course watching them to make sure they didn't wander off by themselves or with a stranger...

I just ended up sitting at the end of the pool the entire time.
I noticed most mom's were by the side of the pool watching, not lounging...
So if you have little ones, you may never get to relax!!! :rolleyes:

As far as the chairs by the pool - I'm with the others... a single towel on the chair means available for me! Just throw the towel in the "dirty" bin and get a fresh one for yourself! :sunny:

Also, if you are one of the lucky ones to score a hammock on Castaway... there are others who would love to use it too, for even a small part of the day. ;) BTW - you will have no trouble finding a chair on Castaway, there are plenty of chairs and loungers to go around. :)

The last cruise we were on, there was a line to get off the ship (al the way up the aft staircase). I don't remember ever seeing one prior to that, though. Maybe there was a problem getting a door open or something???

Yes, share the hammocks! Use it for a while, then pass it along to someone else.

Or stake out a hammock with a fellow DISer and share during the day. :)

Melody80 said:
What time should you get up and be ready in order to assure getting a hammock? Do people line up to leave the ship?

He ususally goes down to the doors around 8:00. They start letting people off the ship anywhere between 9-9:15 sometimes earlier depending on how fast they dock. Yes, there is a group of people waiting on the steps to go out.

Yes, we line up to get off the ship. I am usually within the first 3 or 4 and yes I take a hammock and my family (and DIS friends) use it all day if we like. Once there were 11 of us and I grabbed 2 hammocks for us to use and we kept them both all day. If we decide to go to Serenity Bay or do something else we take our stuff and vacate it. I think getting up at 6:30 am in order to get a hammock entitiles me to use it as long as I want.

waltsgirl said:
We do, however, leave our area to go to Cookies to eat, just like you and your daughter did. We leave our things on our chairs and the Hammock. I have never timed our lunch but it could take 45 mins or longer. Sometimes our daughter will decide she wants to dance with the DJ or the characters come out. We do return and we want the chairs and the hammock.

I agree... however, the hammock was empty for 45 minutes before we proceeded to approach then we were in it for an hour...sorry, but 1 hour and 45 minutes (at least) means "free to use". If you're on an excursion, or roaming the island...let someone else enjoy the hammock...a twenty minute dip in the ocean or a half hour lunch shouldn't void your claim on one. I thought waiting the 45 minutes was more than fair. No one came running up as we were sitting down. I know, Flame Away...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter