Ready for the off

arieliwish

I've got gadgets and gizmos a-plenty,
Hi all, we're in the premier inn at Manchester airport ready to fly in the morning, Beach Club here we come! We're so excited I can't even tell you lol!
I won't do a live trip report this time but I will check in a few times over the next two weeks hopefully.
Xx

Hi all, we're here and have done so much already! The flight was very good, Thomas cook premium class is very comfortable and the staff were fantastic. Food was pretty good too but they had no record of our order for one veggie meal and one gluten free meal despite the emails and phone calls I'd made, and they're listed on my confirmations! DD got her veggie meal though and I said I wasn't bothered about gluten free as I actually wanted low carb/low sugar and was given that as the only alternative. I got chicken in a tomato sauce and DH had my potato wedges, it was nice. Had no rain so far, touch wood!, but yesterday was boiling hot.
The beach club is amazing, don't think I can stay anywhere else now! Disney buses are fine with an ecv but we have waited 20 mins each time we wanted one. Uber and Lyft have been good so far (without the ecv) but don't expect fancy cars or good driving! $7 each way to Walmart for 4 of us.
Had dinner in Cape May, sci fi, nine dragons (still the best Chinese we've ever had!) and last night Wolfgang puck cafe in Disney springs which was excellent. On the dining plan so tips for four of us are coming in around $25 - $35 but that's without extras or alcohol. I'd budgeted $40 - $50 per meal so will have some spare cash lol!

Why is it that airlines say they haven't received your order for a dietary requirement meal ( or whatever you call them ) and childrens meals? We have had this with a child's meal multiple times, so for our next holiday so far I have called VA twice and I plan on calling them again to make sure we have two childrens meals booked for each journey. Still doesn't guarantee though!

Sounds like you're having a great time and nice weather!

Why is it that airlines say they haven't received your order for a dietary requirement meal ( or whatever you call them ) and childrens meals? We have had this with a child's meal multiple times, so for our next holiday so far I have called VA twice and I plan on calling them again to make sure we have two childrens meals booked for each journey. Still doesn't guarantee though!

Sounds like you're having a great time and nice weather!

Had an issue with VAin the past and kids meals. Not sure why kids don't automatically get kids meals

How lovely to be staying at the BC! We love this resort too. I am a wheelchair user and find the resort very accessible. Sorry about the food mix ups on the plane.

How are you finding uber with an ECV? Are you able to take it in their cars? I was wondering about my wheelchair.

Once you go BC you'll be going back regularly!!

You must have got unlucky. With Uber we always got Chevy Suburbans and calm driving!!

Made the mistake of going to BC and now I have to stay there everythime! Everything from location to the ambience and pool are superb.

Well it's our final morning and it's been amazing, despite me starting with cold/flu last Tuesday and spending most of Thursday in bed! I suspect I'll have a chest infection by the time I land tomorrow morning but we'll see how the flight goes.

Had heavy rain for the Halloween party on tues night so first parade was cancelled but they opened dessert party seating early so we got to sit under cover, got our preferred viewing for second parade and the rain had cleared and it was a nice night, hocus pocus show at midnight was excellent, as was the lighting, music and atmosphere around the park. Tomorrowland terrace isn't the best place to see the projection show and fireworks but it was fine for us. Also, desserts weren't as impressive as we'd expected, maybe the Halloween theming?!
In all we've only had rain on two other afternoons and we were either on a bus or in shops so not been an issue.

Love the beach club but the buses seem to be the most infrequent for here, maybe just my perception but literally every time from MK or springs there has been 3 for okw and Coronado for every one of ours! Twice the bus has been too busy for the ecv so we've had to wait, usually 20 mins between buses. Beach club is having work done at the bus stop so the temp one is out the back of the villas, walk through their quiet pool to get there, stop and look at the huge turtles in the river on the way lol! It's as easy for us to get to so no problem. We also prefer this pool to the others so have used it quite a bit.

Food has been very good, DD is veggie and has found a decent choice. Liberty Tree tavern was the nicest meal but we've ate at trattoria al forno on the boardwalk twice. Portions aren't big but enough and we all commented that it felt like a normal restaurant rather than a Disney themed one. Food and wine started in Epcot so it's much busier but good to see the food stands around and got to see inside the old body works dome next to Ellen's which I've always wanted to see. Our big disappointment food wise was lunch at BOG - very poor. We had pre ordered so 'only' had to queue for 15 mins, no idea how long the other queue was! You have to find your own table, it's QS on the dining plan. They bring your food to you on the enchanted serving trolleys and find you by the plastic magic rose thing you're given on the way in but you get drinks at the standard machines. DD and I ordered tuna salad which was full of the spiky bitter leaves and very bitter olives, and the tuna was very raw, literally half a centimetre of the outside was cooked. DH and DS had the beef Sandwich and turkey sandwich and both were in a large baguette with just a few lettuce leaves, I tried the turkey and it was so dry. The desserts were cupcakes but nothing spectacular, the kids didn't even like the grey stuff one, Oreo flavoured. Sunshine seasons in Epcot does the best QS with options like salmon and green beans or pork chops and mash, it's a shame BOG doesn't live up to that with its fantastic theming. The food in beach club marketplace has been excellent, flatbread pizzas are the best according to DS, the made to order sandwiches and clam chowder are very good.

I think it's felt busier than other Septembers we've been here and there are certainly a lot of big South American groups which I've never seen before. DD did the international college program here in the summer and said these groups are a quarter of the size of the ones that were here then, I've found that they don't have any sense of personal space or courtesy regarding standing in the way of the ecv but maybe that's just a group thing in general.

We haven't used the ecv with uber or Lyft as they've been short trips either to shops or for dinner. DD and DS flew to Dallas last weekend for the cowboys game and used a Lyft car to get to the airport. The woman driver gave them her card for the return journey as there's some difficultly using them from the airport as you're meant to use real cabs or something so they arranged it between them and she only charged $20 each way.

Oh and saw fantasmic fri night which was better than I remembered, but the studios Star Wars fireworks and projection show last night was amazing, best I've ever seen. Got there about 7.30 for 8.15 show and sat on the floor with a Starbucks passion fruit lemonade while waiting. We opted for the back line of the front section so DH didn't feel blocked in with the ecv, they said there was no area reserved for ecvs so a bit of a muddle. The show is fab though and both nights we've enjoyed the stroll back to the beach club past the huge lines of people waiting for buses and boats.

Location wise for us it's been the best for the studios, Epcot, Boardwalk. Also walked through the swan and dolphin on the way to fantasia land golf. MK is a hassle to get to wherever you stay, unless you're in the contemporary and can walk in of course! And we only did ak once, for Everest, as it's not a park we love. And I got to jog around the boardwalk a couple mornings, started jogging a few months ago with the NHS couch to 5k app to lose weight and get fitter and it's been a goal to go around the lake, it's only 0.8 mile around, I'm not up to 5k lol! I went from struggling to jog for one minute to managing 20-30 mins now. Very happy I did it and so many other joggers say good morning lol! DH accompanied me on his ecv, he's my version of Rocky's trainer on the bike lol!

I suppose I should really start packing!

On the subject of Buses, when they come in, the drivers are radio'd to tell them where they should stop, and which Resort they are going back to next. The control CMs monitor the queues, BC tends to be the quietest queues in my experience because it's a smaller hotel. Places like OKW and Coronado are huuuge resorts, so need more buses.

I'm home and still awake yay! Actually managed to grab a few hours sleep on the plane, which is very unusual for me! The seats were comfy and a neck pillow is my new favourite thing! After a fantastic holiday which was part hectic and part relaxing we were very sad to leave the Beach Club, the sunshine, Disney, everything. Magical Express collected us at 3.05pm and got us to the airport by 4pm, it was very busy but security are so efficient, if a little scary! We were at the gate within half an hour so grabbed drinks and sat and waited until boarding time, we took off around 25 mins late. The TC cabin crew were very slow with everything on this leg, part way through serving you tea or duty free they'd go off and do 3 other jobs or see to other people before eventually coming back to you. They also seemed to stand around chatting to each other a lot. The outbound crew were fantastic in contrast. Because of this the first drink wasn't served until an hour after take off (7.40pm) and the meal served over an hour and half after that. Surprisingly, I was given a gluten free meal and DD got the veggie option without having to ask for one as on the outbound flight. The duty free was next and lights out didn't happen until around 11.20pm. Maybe that's why I managed to sleep a bit. They started serving breakfast at 2.15am and we were due to land at 3.15am (8.15am UK time) so that was all a bit rushed and it was just a very small hot pastry, orange juice, blueberry muffin, yoghurt, and much much later a tea or coffee if you hadn't put your cup in the rubbish that they hastily collected while everyone was still eating!

Manchester Airport was once again a huge disappointment to us. Upon arrival we were told to wait until last to get off for the wheelchair at the exit of the plane, there were about 4 families for chairs. My daughter eventually left the plane to find a chair for DH and found 2 wheelchair assistants sitting with their feet on the wheelchairs the other side of a glass door at the end of the plane ramp. They said they weren't allowed down the ramp until they'd been told to go. So the 4 families ended up with wheelchairs and at the back of the passport control lines. And you can't leave the plane early unless you're prepared to go down stairs and back up stairs to get to the other side of the glass partition wall - does anyone know why they don't have the glass doors open for everyone to walk through on the level?? The same happened on the way out. The passport lines were stretching almost to the gates as it's freshers week in Manchester and ALL the foreign students appeared to have arrived this morning! Luckily the families were shown to a shorter line but the 5 passport check guys that were on duty (for all the hundreds of people waiting) never called anyone from our line so in the end a guy in a yellow vest came and told each family in turn to go and stand in front of a desk so the guy had to see them next.

Then the baggage carousels. No baggage personnel in sight whereas in Orlando there were many around moving fallen bags on the carousel and lifting off pushchairs etc. The emirates carousel near ours had so many bags on that they were falling off onto the ground but the passengers were still stuck in the lines at passport control! Emirates broadcast several messages of apology to its customers. They were there when we arrived and still there when our bags eventually came through, which took until 9.30am (landed 8.10am). And the bus to the car park for T1 and T3, which cost £60 for us to park in an overflow park with rough ground not suitable for wheeling cases, didn't stop anywhere near the overflow part so I had to leave DH with the cases and walk to the car myself so I could drive back to pick him up.

I know it sounds like I'm having a moan, and I am, but after two weeks of Orlando/USA efficiency and customer service, Manchester always lets the side down. And actually it's not just comparing it to the USA, we went to the Azores in March and the tiny islands in the middle of the Atlantic still put the uk to shame.

So the cases are unpacked, washer is on, photos are on the laptop for me to view/edit/delete lol and we have more wonderful memories of the happiest place on earth to treasure. Might be 3 years until we go again as it's two big birthdays and a silver wedding to celebrate!

Manchester Airport has always sucked! I'm so glad TC are flying from Gatwick again so I don't have to mess about with Manchester!

Congrats for having a few hours sleep on the plane! I think I'm going to invest in a neck pillow :faint:.

Glad you had a great time and Manchester airport sounds a nightmare! Just what you need after a long hall flight :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter