• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Re-categorization of Disney Dream & Fantasy rooms eff. Oct 18, 2011!

Thought the 5s did not have the bigger bathrooms (Big tub) for families??

I wonder the same. The Category 4 cabins have a larger interior space. These newly categorized 5E/4E will have a larger verandah but a smaller interior. Usually, the rate difference between a 4 and 5 is quite substantial as well. I think DCL may run into some problems trying to pass these cabins off as Category 4. For our family at least if we book a Cat. 4 it's for the extra interior space, I can't see myself paying more for a smaller cabin just because it has a larger balcony.

what about people that booked there cruises with there DVC points? I'm assuming if there is a difference, they will get there points back?

This is what I want to know. I'm sailing in a now downgraded stateroom, on October 23.

I was just told by DVC Member Services that there is "no change to the category of my stateroom on the October 23 sailing" (I'm in 8504 which is being downgraded from a 9a to a 9d) and "I will be notified if there is a change". Sounds like typical Disney tight lippedness. I'm going to be pretty upset if this goes into effect and members booked on points aren't compensated somehow.

I'm in Category 9A, #7504, I guess to be 9D. What does it mean? Better / Worst / Should I care? :confused3

I was just told by DVC Member Services that there is "no change to the category of my stateroom on the October 23 sailing" (I'm in 8504 which is being downgraded from a 9a to a 9d) and "I will be notified if there is a change". Sounds like typical Disney tight lippedness. I'm going to be pretty upset if this goes into effect and members booked on points aren't compensated somehow.

Remember these changes are in put into action till Oct 18, so if you were to get a point refund (and I don't know enough how points work to know if you will) they won't even do it till then and DVC may not even be aware of the change yet.

I'm in Category 9A, #7504, I guess to be 9D. What does it mean? Better / Worst / Should I care? :confused3

We are also in 7504......I think it means we get a price adjustment (lower price....as we did not pay in full yet). If you paid in full you would get a refund.

MJ

Just got an email from DCL letting us know that one of our staterooms for one of our cruise on the Fantasy is one of those that have been recatagorized. We are in one of the 6Bs that have changed to 5E. The email included a chart with all of cabin changes.

We are also in 7504......I think it means we get a price adjustment (lower price....as we did not pay in full yet). If you paid in full you would get a refund.

MJ

Cool, we are there the 30th of October, I'll keep it clean for you:thumbsup2

My opinion is that it is unlikely you will see a return of points due to this reorganization of categories. DVC management contracts with the cruise line once per year on points for cruises. It would probably be a legal headache as DVC and the cruise line are two different businesses. I hope for your sake they do an adjustment, but I don't think it's that simple.

I guess I better make sure that we go on our Fantasy 2012 cruise. Our stateroomroom was a 5E ( & we're splurging on it) and it's been reclassified to a 4E that will probably be out of our budget for the future. :goodvibes

It is good to hear that Disney is reclassifying the staterooms with obstructions to a lower priced category. :thumbsup2

My opinion is that it is unlikely you will see a return of points due to this reorganization of categories. DVC management contracts with the cruise line once per year on points for cruises. It would probably be a legal headache as DVC and the cruise line are two different businesses. I hope for your sake they do an adjustment, but I don't think it's that simple.

I realize a points refund is unlikely, but an OBC would help ease the pain. My DH is QUITE upset.

We're in 10166 in 3 weeks which was a cat. 6A when we booked and will be changed to a cat. 5E. I can't wait to sit out on the verandah!

Let us know how you like 10166!! We are in that stateroom right after Christmas!

I also just got the email from DCL......I am glad they are being proactive on this and sending info out to people.

MJ

We just received the e-mail also reclassifying our 5E to a 4E. In a strange way it is consistent with current system. There were no 4Es before, but the description on the website does say most (but not all )Deluxe Family Staterooms have the round tub and the pull down bed and can sleep 4 or 5. Also the square footage includes the veranda. So a 4E is a deluxe family family stateroom with a veranda that sleeps 3 or 4, does not have a round tub, and does not have a pull down bed, but is 299 square feet including the veranda ( based on people's estimates of how much extra square footage is in the extended veranda)..

I got our email today, and our stateroom in January goes from a 9A to a 9D. They mentioned an upcoming refund in the price difference. That's nice, but they certainly don't owe me that. They offered the room, I agreed on the price, and we made a deal. I'm happy with it. No more do they owe this to me than should I owe them if they upgraded my room to a higher cost category. Their kind offer makes business sense, though, because they'd probably get plenty of grumpy folks who would decide they should be compensated. I'll take it, and I appreciate the gesture, but...and if new bookings were to get the lower rate, that's how things happen. Never begrudge someone else a good deal.

We've decided we are going to use this refund to increase the suggested tip by that amount for our best service, be it the cabin steward or one of the servers. Everyone wins in this case!

Just looked ours up...8502...on the DCL and Dreams sites and there appears to be no change.

I am booked in this stateroom in December. I just got the e-mail about this from my travel agent. She asked me if I wanted to look into switching rooms. I'm not sure what my options would be seven and a half weeks from my sail date, though, especially since it looks like most of the 9A rooms are downgraded.

My trip is all paid for, so I guess I'll be getting some kind of refund.

I got our email today, and our stateroom in January goes from a 9A to a 9D. They mentioned an upcoming refund in the price difference. That's nice, but they certainly don't owe me that. They offered the room, I agreed on the price, and we made a deal. I'm happy with it. No more do they owe this to me than should I owe them if they upgraded my room to a higher cost category. Their kind offer makes business sense, though, because they'd probably get plenty of grumpy folks who would decide they should be compensated. I'll take it, and I appreciate the gesture, but...and if new bookings were to get the lower rate, that's how things happen. Never begrudge someone else a good deal.

We've decided we are going to use this refund to increase the suggested tip by that amount for our best service, be it the cabin steward or one of the servers. Everyone wins in this case!

We're in 8006. I'm glad to be getting the refund. The room description states a porthole. Not a tiny window that my little kids won't even be able to look out of. I'm happy for the extra space, but not everyone would care about that and it's not listed in the room description anyway, so one would argue that someone booking a 9A is looking for the porthole, not the extra sq. footage.

That said, no word from DCL or my travel agent yet. We sail in a couple of weeks. I wonder how they will determine the refund, since the same room would cost more now. Will they go back and look at the prices on the day we booked?

We're in 8006. I'm glad to be getting the refund. The room description states a porthole. Not a tiny window that my little kids won't even be able to look out of. I'm happy for the extra space, but not everyone would care about that and it's not listed in the room description anyway, so one would argue that someone booking a 9A is looking for the porthole, not the extra sq. footage.

That said, no word from DCL or my travel agent yet. We sail in a couple of weeks. I wonder how they will determine the refund, since the same room would cost more now. Will they go back and look at the prices on the day we booked?

Here is a pic of 8504 porthole I took on our January Dream cruise (same cabin layout as 8006 but reversed).....you can judge if your kids will be able to see out.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/decks.php?ship=Disney+Dream

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter