Re-categorization of Disney Dream & Fantasy rooms eff. Oct 18, 2011!

We are in 6690 and that went from a 6B to a 5E. Looks like we are getting a sweet deal :). But on the negative side, we probably couldn't afford to rebook this room as it was already more money than we like to spend :(

Is the verandah for this room that much bigger? Seems like a rather large jump up?

We are in 6690 and that went from a 6B to a 5E. Looks like we are getting a sweet deal :). But on the negative side, we probably couldn't afford to rebook this room as it was already more money than we like to spend :(

Is the verandah for this room that much bigger? Seems like a rather large jump up?

If it's like the other verandah's for aft cabins I've seen it's much bigger than the verandah's along the side of the ship. I've seen pics and there are 2 chairs and 2 loungers on the verandah. We have 10660 on the Dream and the Fantasy and it's been reclassified to a 5E from a 6A.

Let us know how you like 10166!! We are in that stateroom right after Christmas!

I wish we had this one for the 4 night portion, but it was already taken. I might not want to leave the verandah for the whole 3 night cruise.

I got our email today, and our stateroom in January goes from a 9A to a 9D. They mentioned an upcoming refund in the price difference. That's nice, but they certainly don't owe me that. They offered the room, I agreed on the price, and we made a deal. I'm happy with it. No more do they owe this to me than should I owe them if they upgraded my room to a higher cost category. Their kind offer makes business sense, though, because they'd probably get plenty of grumpy folks who would decide they should be compensated. I'll take it, and I appreciate the gesture, but...and if new bookings were to get the lower rate, that's how things happen. Never begrudge someone else a good deal.

We've decided we are going to use this refund to increase the suggested tip by that amount for our best service, be it the cabin steward or one of the servers. Everyone wins in this case!

Great way to look at the situation.

I realize a points refund is unlikely, but an OBC would help ease the pain. My DH is QUITE upset.

I'm confused by this.
When you booked the room, you must have been happy with the price....now that DCL finally figured out that they were undercharging (according to Disney's standards, anyway) for some of these rooms that are obviously larger than others, or have larger verandahs, you're upset that you won't be getting money back that you would have otherwise happily spent???
One answer.....and go ahead and flame me.....don't go.:confused3

I got our email today, and our stateroom in January goes from a 9A to a 9D. They mentioned an upcoming refund in the price difference. That's nice, but they certainly don't owe me that. They offered the room, I agreed on the price, and we made a deal. I'm happy with it. No more do they owe this to me than should I owe them if they upgraded my room to a higher cost category. Their kind offer makes business sense, though, because they'd probably get plenty of grumpy folks who would decide they should be compensated. I'll take it, and I appreciate the gesture, but...and if new bookings were to get the lower rate, that's how things happen. Never begrudge someone else a good deal.

We've decided we are going to use this refund to increase the suggested tip by that amount for our best service, be it the cabin steward or one of the servers. Everyone wins in this case!

BRAVO!!!! :worship::worship::cheer2::cheer2:

When the deckplans first came out, there were a lot of people (myself included) who KNEW Disney would eventually figure out that there was quite an inequity in the room classifications.

All of the other cruise lines have these same variations, and they charge accordingly.

I'm confused by this.
When you booked the room, you must have been happy with the price....now that DCL finally figured out that they were undercharging (according to Disney's standards, anyway) for some of these rooms that are obviously larger than others, or have larger verandahs, you're upset that you won't be getting money back that you would have otherwise happily spent???
One answer.....and go ahead and flame me.....don't go.:confused3

I think you misunderstood me. I'm in a room that has been downgraded (was a 9A, now a 9D) we paid the points for a 9A. But now Disney is charging LESS for that same room. We're more concerned that we paid more points for something that is now worth less, and cash customers in the same room are getting refunds, but there doesn't seem to be any provision for a DVC member in that room. I realize it's a once a year transaction between DVC and DCL, so it's not like DVC is getting the money back, but it might be nice if DCL did something.

No flames here.

We were in this stateroom in May and have it again this mid November. The balcony is HUGE compared to the standard balcony. It's probably a good 8 feet from the verandah sliding door to the railing.

I got our e-mail notice last evening regarding the change in category. Dh said he doesn't care what it costs for that room, that is what we will be booking whenever we cruise.

Cloudnut I'm in the same boat as you but I have 3 Fantasy cruises booked - all in staterooms that went from a 9a to 9d. We'll have to wait and see if DVC does anything.

Hello.

We are newbie crusiers going on our 1st cruise on the Dream in August 2012.

We received the below from DCL last night. I am translating this as meaning that the stateroom we have already reserved was slightly larger, now considered a 4E – Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah versus a 5E – Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah and that is basically it. Assuming that this room had more sq feet than other 5Es and there were complaints (like BLT Lake View rooms on the 5th floor that don't see a Lake but see Bamboo Sticks) and Disney is responding accordingly by taking a room and just giving it a different category to a. set the proper expectation for the guest and b. probably charge a little more later (after October 18, 2011).

I am sure others received this as well. Our Stateroom is 5546. Safe to assume my translation is correct? Thanks!

We are excited you will be sailing with us and wanted to take a moment to let you know that over the next few weeks we will re-categorize several staterooms aboard the Disney Dream™ and the Disney Fantasy™. Our records indicate that you are booked in one of the staterooms that are being re-categorized.
It is important to note that the actual stateroom assignment will not change through this process; however the booking will be updated to reflect the new category. For your reference, here is a list of the new stateroom categories and a detailed listing of staterooms that are being re-categorized:

57761803.jpg

* Applies to even number staterooms only.
Guests who are currently booked in a stateroom in which the new category is now considered lower than the previous category will be receiving a refund of the cost difference back to their original form of payment and a revised confirmation once the change has been made. The process of making this change may take several weeks, but know that it will be coming in the near future.
Guests who are now in a higher category will not see a change in their rate or on their confirmations.
Please note that any future changes made to existing reservations are subject to the new rates. This change is valid for sailings after October 18, 2011, and cannot be applied to previous sail dates.

Cloudnut I'm in the same boat as you but I have 3 Fantasy cruises booked - all in staterooms that went from a 9a to 9d. We'll have to wait and see if DVC does anything.

I hope so, but the response I got yesterday was not encouraging. Hopefully they're just working out a policy. I just hope they aren't going to ignore the situation and act like we won't know what happened.

That said, no word from DCL or my travel agent yet. We sail in a couple of weeks. I wonder how they will determine the refund, since the same room would cost more now. Will they go back and look at the prices on the day we booked?

I dont understand how they would calculate this either- I booked at such a low price compared to current rates that I still wouldnt be losing.

But in my case (5650-52-54) I am upgraded- that just means I probably wont sail in those rooms next time.

Thanks, since I am having trouble posting the picture of the chart.

When I first booked the 5E Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom, it showed 246 sq. ft. including verandah.

However, the Deluxe FAMILY Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah shows 299 sq. ft. including verandah on DCL's site. I am therefore guessing I got a 299 sq ft Stateroom using 246 sq ft dollars since my room is now considered a Deluxe FAMILY Oceanview Stateroom.

57761803.jpg

Just called DCL, they suggested my room, 5546, has an oversized Verandah, thus the change in Category.

So whoever else may have received this email may need to call to inquire about the specific difference in their Stateroom.

Dh said he doesn't care what it costs for that room, that is what we will be booking whenever we cruise.

My DH said the same thing. We just had that room September 4 and loved it. He also loved that he could look straight down and see Mickey and the broomsticks.

We're in 10166 in 3 weeks which was a cat. 6A when we booked and will be changed to a cat. 5E. I can't wait to sit out on the verandah!

:thumbsup2 That's the room we are booked for in December! Make sure you post what you think of the room and location!!

We're in 8006. I'm glad to be getting the refund. The room description states a porthole. Not a tiny window that my little kids won't even be able to look out of. I'm happy for the extra space, but not everyone would care about that and it's not listed in the room description anyway, so one would argue that someone booking a 9A is looking for the porthole, not the extra sq. footage.

That said, no word from DCL or my travel agent yet. We sail in a couple of weeks. I wonder how they will determine the refund, since the same room would cost more now. Will they go back and look at the prices on the day we booked?

If I am reading this correctly, they will go back into your original booking and adjust the price based on when you booked it.

The refund will go back to your original form of payment....whichever credit or debit card you used to place your reservation.

Guests who are currently booked in a stateroom in which the new category is now considered lower than the previous category will be receiving a refund of the cost difference back to their original form of payment and a revised confirmation once the change has been made. The process of making this change may take several weeks, but know that it will be coming in the near future.
Guests who are now in a higher category will not see a change in their rate or on their confirmations.
Please note that any future changes made to existing reservations are subject to the new rates. This change is valid for sailings after October 18, 2011, and cannot be applied to previous sail dates.
Should you have any questions, please feel free to visit www.disneycruise.com after October 18, 2011, or contact us at 1-800-939-2784. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

If I am reading this correctly, they will go back into your original booking and adjust the price based on when you booked it.

The refund will go back to your original form of payment....whichever credit or debit card you used to place your reservation.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to visit www.disneycruise.com after October 18, 2011, or contact us at 1-800-939-2784. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

I'm not sure I'm reading it the same way you are. It would be nice if they would go back and reprice based on the original booking day but I'm not thinking it will be done that way. But I could be wrong.

BTW...still haven't rec'd an email from DCL and we have 2 cruises booked for next year, one on each ship. We're in a cabin that is going to a higher category and wonder if that's why we haven't rec'd the email yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter