"RapidFill" RFID refillable mugs coming back resort wide...

lockedoutlogic said:
This sounds perfect... For Disney

Long lines will deter usage...

"I give you a mug with parental lock on it...you give me $17.99...you may or may not have the time and patience to use it"

Even the hard core capitalist defenders of Disney in the mug debate will eventually start to see the inherent danger in this new idea

That's the reason for the tests. Either the issue is with guests with non RFID mugs, in including recent purchases, needing attention or Disney needs additional machines.
Why the rush to judgement?

That's the reason for the tests. Either the issue is with guests with non RFID mugs, in including recent purchases, needing attention or Disney needs additional machines.
Why the rush to judgement?

Why would they put in 20 additional machines to satisfy lines?

Why not just let the system become more profitable?
I have too little faith perhaps...you have far too much

I really think this whole idea has a chance to go out to pasture and never come back. I'm quite sure that some bean counter at WDW Headquarters came up with this grand idea, and on paper, it probably looks really good. "We will save WDW Resorts $2.5 million in soda expenses over a one year period..." (I'm totally winging that number). Everyone around the boardroom nods in agreement, and the PO is placed to bring in the RFID equipment.

What most bean counters fail to see is anything beyond a good looking balance sheet. The $2.5 million (or whatever number it might be) that WDW Resorts will save in soda expense is literally, a drop-in-the-bucket for this multi BILLION dollar company.

Walt Disney was founded on some very basic principles, with one of the most important ones being all about the customer and keeping them happy, ensuring the absolute best guest experience possible with service that is second to none.

Standing in a 10 minute line with an RFID bracelet to get my $.15 cents worth of Coke Zero doesn't sound like a premium guest experience to me. Rather, it sounds like a herd of cattle. What's coming next... Fast Pass Plus for soda fountains? Will I have to book my fillup using My Disney Experience on my smart phone? Do I need to do this 3 months in advance prior to travel?

I know the system is put in place for Disney to better control their costs, and to eliminate the "cheaters" who abuse the system. But at what cost is that $2.5mm savings going to be captured? I, for one, will not be buying a $17.99 refillable mug to stand in a cattle line for a refill. I'll stick to the water fountains from here on out, and maybe splurge on a $2.99 bottle in the park if need be.

What Disney will be saving on the front end, they will be losing on the back end, as I think many others will have similar sentiments to my own...

Sinecerely,

A very frustrated, roughly 20 year owner of refillable drink mugs...

I really think this whole idea has a chance to go out to pasture and never come back. I'm quite sure that some bean counter at WDW Headquarters came up with this grand idea, and on paper, it probably looks really good. "We will save WDW Resorts $2.5 million in soda expenses over a one year period..." (I'm totally winging that number). Everyone around the boardroom nods in agreement, and the PO is placed to bring in the RFID equipment.

What most bean counters fail to see is anything beyond a good looking balance sheet. The $2.5 million (or whatever number it might be) that WDW Resorts will save in soda expense is literally, a drop-in-the-bucket for this multi BILLION dollar company.

Walt Disney was founded on some very basic principles, with one of the most important ones being all about the customer and keeping them happy, ensuring the absolute best guest experience possible with service that is second to none.

Standing in a 10 minute line with an RFID bracelet to get my $.15 cents worth of Coke Zero doesn't sound like a premium guest experience to me. Rather, it sounds like a herd of cattle. What's coming next... Fast Pass Plus for soda fountains? Will I have to book my fillup using My Disney Experience on my smart phone? Do I need to do this 3 months in advance prior to travel?

I know the system is put in place for Disney to better control their costs, and to eliminate the "cheaters" who abuse the system. But at what cost is that $2.5mm savings going to be captured? I, for one, will not be buying a $17.99 refillable mug to stand in a cattle line for a refill. I'll stick to the water fountains from here on out, and maybe splurge on a $2.99 bottle in the park if need be.

What Disney will be saving on the front end, they will be losing on the back end, as I think many others will have similar sentiments to my own...

Sinecerely,

Andrew,

A romantic notion... But I think you know that ship has sailed.

A more likely solution if this doesn't work is a discontinuation of the mug program.

The hardware is bought... Which means they are more
Likely to disable the radio readers and go to pay per use than not get
Their way with the mugs.

Andrew,

A romantic notion... But I think you know that ship has sailed.

A more likely solution if this doesn't work is a discontinuation of the mug program.

The hardware is bought... Which means they are more
Likely to disable the radio readers and go to pay per use than not get
Their way with the mugs.

Perhaps, but perhaps not. I happen to be one of the said “bean counters” that I am trashing in my above post, just not at WDW. There’s a good chance that the folks who sold the RFID vending equipment actually pitched the program to Disney, and WDW management bought into the notion. Often times, in an instance like this, the purchase agreement is written as such that the equipment must generate “X” amount of revenue (or savings), or the agreement will be terminated. Or perhaps Disney has a trial period (30, 60, 90 days) in which they can terminate the agreement and return the equipment if it does not meet their expectations. By the sounds of the initial trial, that could be in the realm of possibilities.

That being said, I am a realist, and you are probably right. I’m 85% sure that the RFID drink stations are here to stay (usually, anything that I want to stay “goes”, and anything I want to go “stays). However, I just don’t see how anyone (other than the bean counters) can view this as an improvement to the guest experience. I would just think that the $2.5mm (or insert whatever dollar amount you see fit) that is lost to the “cheaters” would be chalked up as a “loss leader”, or at the very least, is accounted for in the $15.99 price that the non-cheaters pay for our mugs.

Sinecerely,

Nice thought but that really isn't Disney. Disney is all about making money while giving the guest the illusion of being treated special. They restrict the mug refills but let you refill at any resort. Sounds good right, but who is going to other resorts to fill their mug?

The mug program never made much sense to my family anyway. The mugs are so small and the dispensers are usually far from the room. Walking 20 minutes for swig of coke just isn't our thing.

The RFID soda dispensers are becoming standard in the industry and the ability to modify the program by making software changes allows for all kinds of changes and special promotions.

:earsboy: Bill

Nice thought but that really isn't Disney. Disney is all about making money while giving the guest the illusion of being treated special. They restrict the mug refills but let you refill at any resort. Sounds good right, but who is going to other resorts to fill their mug?

The mug program never made much sense to my family anyway. The mugs are so small and the dispensers are usually far from the room. Walking 20 minutes for swig of coke just isn't our thing.

The RFID soda dispensers are becoming standard in the industry and the ability to modify the program by making software changes allows for all kinds of changes and special promotions.

Bill,

I'm not sure that I agree that RFID soda dispensers are becoming "industry standard". I, for one, have never encountered one EVER, but will for the first time on my upcoming September WDW trip. Where else have you seen one in action? Did I miss something new at Starbucks? (Cue in the "I hate Starbucks on Mainstreet" posts... NOW...)

While I do agree that WDW is in the business of making money, I think you're missing my point. I think that this newly implemented circus will turn enough people off, that revenue will actually go in the opposite direction as intended. Save a nickel to lose a dime...

To your point, the system is a pain... walking a mile to fill your mug, then you are either stuck carrying your mug to the park, or you have to make a special trip back to the room to drop it off... now you have to wait in the 5-10 minute long cattle line to scan the mug and get your refill (sounds more like a jail mess hall than a luxury resort)... and by the way, you now have to pay $2.00 more per mug for the pleasure? Count me out...

FYI, RFID mugs are NOT in use at CBR yet. They are still selling the old mugs, old price, old restrictions - but the manager said to keep the receipt in case the next resort in out split stay has them.

Bill,

I'm not sure that I agree that RFID soda dispensers are becoming "industry standard". I, for one, have never encountered one EVER, but will for the first time on my upcoming September WDW trip. Where else have you seen one in action? Did I miss something new at Starbucks? (Cue in the "I hate Starbucks on Mainstreet" posts... NOW...)

While I do agree that WDW is in the business of making money, I think you're missing my point. I think that this newly implemented circus will turn enough people off, that revenue will actually go in the opposite direction as intended. Save a nickel to lose a dime...

To your point, the system is a pain... walking a mile to fill your mug, then you are either stuck carrying your mug to the park, or you have to make a special trip back to the room to drop it off... now you have to wait in the 5-10 minute long cattle line to scan the mug and get your refill (sounds more like a jail mess hall than a luxury resort)... and by the way, you now have to pay $2.00 more per mug for the pleasure? Count me out...

Coke's new free style dispensers are being offered with RFID and they will be in a million locations, Burger King is in the process of changing to RFID, Several Cruise lines have implemented RFID dispensers and so has Universal.

Most people will learn to accept the changes as they do with all Disney changes. People said that the changes to the DDP would stop people from buying it years ago and it is still going strong. People said the constant ticket price increases would hurt Disney's bottom line but their attendance continues to increase.

Check out the early posts about the Magic Band, people stated that the public wouldn't go for it but now they are excited about the program and they are buying bling to add to their band. Disney says that that RFID technology at POS is projected to increase sales revenue by 15% to 20%.

At Disney if you build it, they will come! :thumbsup2

The only place that I know of currently using freestyle machines is RC ships. I doubt you'll see them in most typical applications...mostly in long-term use conditions like resorts and ships.

The only place that I know of currently using freestyle machines is RC ships. I doubt you'll see them in most typical applications...mostly in long-term use conditions like resorts and ships.

If you Google "Coke Free Style" you will find that they are being installed in movie theaters, Sea World, restaurant chains, and other locations.

FYI, RFID mugs are NOT in use at CBR yet. They are still selling the old mugs, old price, old restrictions - but the manager said to keep the receipt in case the next resort in out split stay has them.

Yeah...they were talking about the freestyles...which typically don't have or need the RFID but can be fitted with them.

RFID would be useful at movie theaters, ballparks, amusement parks... But not at your local fast food joints.

There wouldn't be much of a need for that tight of control.

Crap...I musta quoted the wrong post... You get the oicture

You must not be in a highly populated area...

Burger kings, five guys, Wendy's, pei Wei, chipotle, five guys...

There's quite a few out there now... They offer a ton of choices self serve with low maintenance

Sorry...meant to say "Freestyle machines with RFID" I've used many freestyle machines...none of them have RFID

Sorry...meant to say "Freestyle machines with RFID" I've used many freestyle machines...none of them have RFID

Oh yeah...I'm with you there

RFID is not incredibly useful except as point of access

There's no point in McDonald's having a paper cup with an activator chip

This type of machine isn't going to all of the sudden have a rush of orders.

Now if you're running an Orwellian amusement park where you're not only trying to track and direct the cattle... But also have accountants in realtime on headsets trying to dictate spending and cut labor to the bare minimum...then RFID is a different cake all together.

Oh yeah...I'm with you there

RFID is not incredibly useful except as point of access

There's no point in McDonald's having a paper cup with an activator chip

This type of machine isn't going to all of the sudden have a rush of orders.

Now if you're running an Orwellian amusement park where you're not only trying to track and direct the cattle... But also have accountants in realtime on headsets trying to dictate spending and cut labor to the bare minimum...then RFID is a different cake all together.

Some other applications:
  1. Places that don't currently offer self-service soft drinks due to issues over customer refills.
  2. Places in malls or front of stores where the owner thinks too much free soda is being given to mall/store employees.

Why would the average customer, dining in, purchase a larger drink size when they can just get refills? Why wouldn't many couples and even famlies share one drink, refilling as needed. Companies like Disney are testing the system. I suspect more places then you think wind up going to a system which allows them to limit the number of free refills.

Any place which offers free internet should be interested in limiting all free refills.

Some other applications:

[*]Places that don't currently offer self-service soft drinks due to issues over customer refills.
[*]Places in malls or front of stores where the owner thinks too much free soda is being given to mall/store employees.

Why would the average customer, dining in, purchase a larger drink size when they can just get refills? Why wouldn't many couples and even famlies share one drink, refilling as needed. Companies like Disney are testing the system. I suspect more places then you think wind up going to a system which allows them to limit the number of free refills.

Any place which offers free internet should be interested in limiting all free refills.

Wow...

I respect you...but you had to really forage for this argument.

There is not going to be a great demand...

Size differences? There is no price differences between sizes anyway... 5 maybe 10%...

And why?

Because the elephant in the room is that this crap costs next to nothing and they make a killing off it.

I know when this first came out there was some counter argument to that... But let's not bother going there. The syrup and the cannisters are super cheap per serving... Anyone who has ever worked near a restaurant can get a feel for that. And because it's so cheap... This is why it looks way tacky to do radio activated spigots.

I'm not saying they should give it away for free... But it looks beyond tacky...more like six flags.

Yeah...it does. It's not about defending reaganomics or the " foreclosure" society for the defense of the capitalistic state... It just looks low rent.

They should call them "Disney's all you can sorta drink fountains... Brought to you by Packard bell and Taco Bell"

Budget.

And the whole point of self serve in the first place was what you "lose" in consumption is way less
Than the manpower it takes to serve. This and the entire approach wdw has taken since 1995 has been about reduced labor... Outsourcing, magic on demand, preregistration, touch screen ordering...THAT'S the point.

I don't disagree... they don't have labor to expand and they're gonna have to do this. Fact of central Florida.

But it still is... Well... Budget. It's having your cake and stealing all the quarters out of its pockets too.

It's my opinion... But I highly doubt I'm alone or in the minority. Disney perception is everything. The problem (again) is that the consumers are not holding them to any standard.

I wonder how this would have been approached if they didnt "give" a ton of these mugs away with packages now? I wonder if it was still out of pocket?

They wouldn't push it...my bet. Just like they wouldn't charge double for steak at Le Cellier and reduce the quality of the supply and prep with out the DDP to shield it ( I have a different word for the middle "d"...but this is a family complaint board )

But I know..."can't put a price on magic"

Because the elephant in the room is that this crap costs next to nothing and they make a killing off it.
Nothing new through the years I've heard people say soda costs the restaurant a penny an once, the cost to make the ice is higher then the cost of syrup, the cup costs more, Disney gets the syrup for free.....
I'm not saying they should give it away for free..
Any restaurant could offer free soda. Instead they use it as a profit center. You can sell the burger at around cost as long as the fast food customer buys a drink. Disney could offer the soda for free, instead Disney uses it as way to make $$$$. It sure sounds like you think Disney should be giving away free soda. Free soda meaning soda far in excess then the quantity paid for by the customer. Think of this as another way of making the dining plan appear to be an even "better deal". Disney already found increasing menu prices makes the dining plan look better.

And the whole point of self serve in the first place was what you "lose" in consumption is way less
Than the manpower it takes to serve.

BINGO and with RFID an establishment saves those labor costs without the increase in consumption. WIN WIN

Do I think every place with a self-service soda machine will convert to RFID? Of course not. I've been to places which have a sign which says one refill and places with a sign which says no refills. It's currently the honor system. I suspect those places are likely to become RFID customers. Places which don't currently offer self service, due to concerns about customer "overuse" are another example.

Long lines for drinks in the food courts might result in customers deciding to eat elsewhere. It's not clear if the lines are a result of insufficient number of machines, issues with customers who don't have RFID enabled mugs/cups or if the RFID chips aren't properly being programmed. Sounds like there are an issue with people who recently purchased non-RFID mugs. That will solve itself in a few weeks. Might be an issue bringing back old mugs. That should reduce as word spreads.

Just to be clear --

1. if you are on the DDP, do you still receive the mugs for free?
2. If you do receive the mug, how long is it good for?
A. Entire length of stay based on number of nights (same as the meals - so if I arrive on Friday and leave on Saturday - I would have one day's worth of meals and thus one day's worth of the refills?)
B. Entire length of stay based on number of total days (so if I arrive on Friay and leave on Saturday, I would have TWO day's worth of the refills)
C. Only one day of refills and you have to purchase any additional days separately?

:confused3

Just to be clear --

1. if you are on the DDP, do you still receive the mugs for free?
2. If you do receive the mug, how long is it good for?
A. Entire length of stay based on number of nights (same as the meals - so if I arrive on Friday and leave on Saturday - I would have one day's worth of meals and thus one day's worth of the refills?)
B. Entire length of stay based on number of total days (so if I arrive on Friay and leave on Saturday, I would have TWO day's worth of the refills)
C. Only one day of refills and you have to purchase any additional days separately?

:confused3

I haven't read anything.

Using logic,which doesn't always give the right answer....You can use your meal credits anytime during your stay, including the day you check in and the day you check out. I'd assume you mug would also be good from the day you check in through the day you check out. It was already posted mug usage is based on calendar days. That means it's good the entire day you check out, if it's good for part of the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter