Princess Jes' Official (narcissistic) trip planning thread (help and advise required!)

I'm not an accountant but I'm not following your math.

Travelex is USD$1:AUD$1.28. That means the USD is worth about 22% less than the AUD.
In Australia, it's USD$0.68:AUD$1. That means the USD is worth 32% less than the AUD.

How are you getting from those numbers to USD$1.47:AUD$1 which would mean the USD was worth 47% more than the AUD?
Ok put it this way:
If I took AUD$1000 and exchanged it here today into USD, I'd walk away with $650 USD
If I took AUD$1000 to America and exchanged there, I'd walk away with $780 USD.

Ok put it this way:
If I took AUD$1000 and exchanged it here today into USD, I'd walk away with $650 USD
If I took AUD$1000 to America and exchanged there, I'd walk away with $780 USD.
Ok, I got that. The exchange rate is better here.

So is there any way for you to buy a gift card in the US to take advantage of the US exchange rate? Good question. Unfortunately, I have no idea how you would go about doing that.

Ok, I got that. The exchange rate is better here.

So is there any way for you to buy a gift card in the US to take advantage of the US exchange rate? Good question. Unfortunately, I have no idea how you would go about doing that.
Yeah, somehow I need to get AUD to the USA and exchange to USD over there, in some form of credit card.
A girl I work with is from the USA so may be able to give me some USD at the USD exchange rate if that makes sense?

Yeah, somehow I need to get AUD to the USA and exchange to USD over there, in some form of credit card.
A girl I work with is from the USA so may be able to give me some USD at the USD exchange rate if that makes sense?
I guess that would be the way to go. Have someone traveling to the US take AUD and exchange it for you.

I guess that would be the way to go. Have someone traveling to the US take AUD and exchange it for you.
i wonder whether I could transfer AUD via PayPal and have them exchange and send back in USD via PayPal. there's fees, but there's fees to exchange either way.

We have travellers to the USA quite often, so may be worth a dig around to suss it out.

i wonder whether I could transfer AUD via PayPal and have them exchange and send back in USD via PayPal. there's fees, but there's fees to exchange either way.
I was wondering if there was some way to do it online but if you have to pay an exchange fee, you need to figure out if that wipes out the benefit. I'll leave the math to you accountant-types.

Hey kids!

Quick question... I'm just looking at Travelex in the USA, and the exchange rate there is USD$1:AUD$1.28
But here, it's USD$0.68:AUD$1 so I think that ends up being USD$1.47:AUD$1 (I'm an Accountant, I should know how to do this calculation confidently, alas, I always question myself)
That's a much better rate!!

I doubt it's possible, but I wonder if I could buy a travelex prepaid card the other way around over there? And use that to book Accom?

I know I should be able to exchange cash over there once I land, but the bulk of our spend will be in Accom, which I need to pay for before I get there.

I'm trying to cheat the system, but I cant see how... Any suggestions?

That's a wonderfully sneaky idea! I hope you can find a way to make it work.

Ok, so bubble ha been burst... I was looking at the AUD sell rate in the USA, not the buy rate... Dang it!! O thought I was onto something.

However, a girl at work has said she can exchange cash for me at the current rate on XE which is about $0.69.
Only issue is, the majority of the $ we need to spend is on WDW accom and Mexico accom, both needing to be paid in advance, on a credit card presumably.
So, unless she lets me use her USA CC to pay for that (which probably isn't even possible as it's in her name and the booking will be under mine) and still pay her the AUD equivalent (using her USD cash to just pay her CC immediately) I'm still looking at having to pay probably half the expense in advance.
However, I think Universal you can settle your account upon check in? (one night deposit paid at booking?) and can buy tickets when we get there with cash, so that's about $1300 USD I can spend at the better rate.

Sad to see the CAD dropping so much, and being at pretty much the same rate as us. I think that will start to hurt Disney
and until they set up a travel arm of the business for Aus the way they have for the UK, we wont get any extra incentive to travel, whereas, I think they'll start to release Canadian resident only specials soon.

whereas, I think they'll start to release Canadian resident only specials soon.

While that would be lovely, most Cdn DIS'rs concur it is unlikely. We are a drop in the bucket compared to US domestic guests and the growing South American market. Last time we had real Cdn deals was after 911 when WDW needed to fill the rooms. I'm definitely watching what happens with this recent summer/1 QS meal free deal. It has no appeal for me and most Cdns. But interesting if it means resort numbers aren't what they should be and they are starting with a really early tepid offer and offers may improve or if it means the end of Fall free dining. We live in interesting times. popcorn::

Guys and Gals, I've hit full blown Trip planning mode!!

I've been given the green light to book away!!!

And 180 days is fast approaching for a Aug 23 arrival date!

I've gotten quotes from a Dreams agent, looking at:
CSR, CR or YC (those are the quotes I've gotten) and obviously the difference in pricing is considerable ($2,800 CSR preferred room to $4,738 for a YC lagoon view, which is where we stayed last time.)
Last time we got the early spring 30% off, and it looks like based on historical data that we will fall into the fall room discounts, so roughly 20-25% off Mod and 30% off deluxe. but that still leaves YC so high, I cant really justify it with the exchange rate.
So, my options are (including tickets):
CSR: Preferred ($2,800) preferred King ($3124) or business class king ($2839 - how is this only 39 more than preferred?!)
or
Renting points, hopefully at: BCV/BWV/BLT and maybe Poly (it ends up being just a little more than $3k with tickets) but would prefer one of the first 3.

Who has rented points?
Daily housekeeping doesn't bother us I don't think. are there any other reasons why I would go Mod for the same price as renting points at a deluxe?

I've never rented points and I've never stayed at CSR so I'm not much help but I hope you can get some great recommendations. I know Boardwalk villas were just renovated or are being renovated and Beach club villas are just starting to be renovated. We also have friends who own DVC at BLT and they like it.

are there any other reasons why I would go Mod for the same price as renting points at a deluxe?
I can't think of any reason to stay Mod if the price is the same as Deluxe except for purely personal preference, if there is a Mod you really like. Otherwise, personally, I'd choose the Epcot resort area because I like that you have other hotels and activities around the lake. Beach Club, Yacht Club, Boardwalk, Swan, and Dolphin are all right there, so you basically have your pick of places to eat, drink, shop, and just hang out.

This is our first time renting points from David's, but we've rented from friends before and never had an issue. Personally we see no reason to stay at a mod, you get a slightly larger room and dining options than you would at POP (and no tour groups) but if an Epcot resort is even close in price I'd hop on it.
Same advise as I gave before; you aren't going to WDW three times a year. If you are going to do it, don't do it half assed (easy for me to say when it's your money). BWV were cheaper to rent points for than BCV for us, otherwise Beach club is in my top 3 resorts.

This is our first time renting points from David's, but we've rented from friends before and never had an issue. Personally we see no reason to stay at a mod, you get a slightly larger room and dining options than you would at POP (and no tour groups) but if an Epcot resort is even close in price I'd hop on it.
Same advise as I gave before; you aren't going to WDW three times a year. If you are going to do it, don't do it half assed (easy for me to say when it's your money). BWV were cheaper to rent points for than BCV for us, otherwise Beach club is in my top 3 resorts.
You and I PJ, we're on the same page. lol.
I have to admit, im nervous about renting points, and I think I feel more comfortable renting points via david's than from the rent/trade boards.
Best I get some USD so I can get David's to check dates for me then!

Hey y'all
Has anyone ever stayed at an affinia hotel in NYC?
Specifically looking at the Manhattan, Fifty or the Shelburne. (But more the first two)

We had two very good experiences renting through DVC members found on the DISboard. We went that route in early 2015 as we were making an investigative/investment trip for DVC. I don't know what your budget will allow, but we found a significant difference between 1 bedroom DVC amenities (whirlpool, kitchen, non-sleeping living space) and the studio (a decently sized hotel room). Different villas will have different layouts for their studios. Of course, if you're not planning to be in your room all that often, then perhaps a 1 bedroom would be overly-abundant even if it were in the budget.

Watch out for any planned refurbishments or construction during your planned visit.
Have fun planning! :)

We had two very good experiences renting through DVC members found on the DISboard. We went that route in early 2015 as we were making an investigative/investment trip for DVC. I don't know what your budget will allow, but we found a significant difference between 1 bedroom DVC amenities (whirlpool, kitchen, non-sleeping living space) and the studio (a decently sized hotel room). Different villas will have different layouts for their studios. Of course, if you're not planning to be in your room all that often, then perhaps a 1 bedroom would be overly-abundant even if it were in the budget.

Watch out for any planned refurbishments or construction during your planned visit.
Have fun planning! :)
1 bedroom is well out of our price range unfortunately
Renting from someone on the boards feels way too risky for me :-(
At this stage, only BLT lake view and wilderness lodge are available, and that was 3 days ago. We are a bit over budget so need to make a decision ASAP.

1 bedroom is well out of our price range unfortunately
Renting from someone on the boards feels way too risky for me :-(
At this stage, only BLT lake view and wilderness lodge are available, and that was 3 days ago. We are a bit over budget so need to make a decision ASAP.
If it helps any, of all the DVCs I stayed at, I liked WLV (and OKW) the best. Both a bit removed from everything, but that was part of the appeal for me. And OKW is cool because if you have a car, you can park near your unit. However, no elevators if on an upper floor.

If it helps any, of all the DVCs I stayed at, I liked WLV (and OKW) the best. Both a bit removed from everything, but that was part of the appeal for me. And OKW is cool because if you have a car, you can park near your unit. However, no elevators if on an upper floor.
No car unfortunately, and the transport times for WLV is pretty high (as is BLT but at least BLT has the monorail and walk to MK)
I'm thinking that AKL might be a goer, it's probably no more of a hassle to get to/from than any mod or value and it's much cheaper.
I just don't know what the difference in tiers is (value, standard and whatever the next one is)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter