Princess Jes' Official (narcissistic) trip planning thread (help and advise required!)

:teeth::P:P:P
Sure. I've been to Mexico lots of times. We usually buy churros and maybe a margarita outside. Then we go inside and take the boat ride with the Three Caballeros. Then we browse the shops before leaving and heading to Norway.
:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Yeah, we've decided it's either August or October now.
August should have longer hours and Warmer weather, but no party, so now I have that deduction to make
Make your own party. Check out the Wishes dessert party or a Fantasmic dinner package. MNSSHP has turned into another way for Disney to charge extra, and if you don't have children you don't get much in return (candy and a different show). Wishes dessert party has gone up in price since our first time, but it is a great view and the first time I saw Tink start it, she lands right over your head. The foods damn good too.

I'd personally say August mainly because of the late park hours, but know that it will be hot. Not warm, but hot. At 10:00 PM my ice cream melted in the time it took to find a bench. Think 35 Celsius during the day with maybe 30 at night. We combat that by going for rope drop, napping in the hotel from 1-6, then back to a park until midnight. August also gives you a daily rain shower mid afternoon, so another reason to hit a hotel or bar to cool off. If you don't want to trek out of the park, there are always attractions to nap in (American Adventure in Epcot or Hall of Presidents).

August is probably the cheapest time for golf if your husband can tolerate the heat. If he really wants to avoid the parks there are seasonal rates that let him play two rounds a day and their rental clubs are better than I own. Palm and Magnolia are great, and if you're solo or a twosome you often get paired with Disney cast members who are off. This networking has gotten me some perks (I played with the ride supervisor for rock n roller coaster who put us front row the next day and gave us a little tour).

Since this isn't a trip you take every year, I'd say make the most of it. The Keys to the Kingdom tour is amazing for any Disney geek. You get to go on a few rides(1-3 depending on how busy it is) but our entire group consisted of Disnuts who couldn't get enough of the history and planning that went into the parks. Parts were a bit dry but it was something I would recommend to anyone devoted enough to watch these podcasts.

You may also want to tempt Leigh with the Epcot food and wine version we do. It's not during the F&W event, but a summer tradition of spending at least 30 minutes indoors in each country. Not like frat boys getting a beer everywhere for the sake of getting drunk as fast as possible, but rather wine Tutto Gusto with a plate of prosciutto and fresh mozzarella or hanging out with Carl (the senior bartender) at the Rose and Crown pub for an hour. Freestyle, explore, when you find something you like enjoy it. You don't need to rush to your next fast pass.

I often take for granted how often we go and have experienced.

I forgot Fantasia Gardens in there. Early evening is often the best time to go. Think early dinner then walk to the pool bar at the Swan, then cross the street to the fairways. Pack bug spray though, as the sun goes down the critters come out and are hungry. You rarely notice them at the parks, something about the plants they use, but Fantasia Gardens and the Swolphin seem to be a breading ground for flies and mosquitoes. The pool bar often will close early though, and is pricey, but makes a great mojito.

On all of the golf courses (I never played the nine hole one) they will warn you where gators can be spotted. I've seen them sunning themselves twice. Give them a wide berth and take a free drop if your ball is near one, or too close to water. You never see the one that gets you. loose a ball and save a foot. Same applies to snakes.

Last edited:

I did the KTTK tour last trip while Leigh played magnolia.
He got paired up with a man and his son, who were pretty good and Leigh didn't play so well, I think he was a bit embarrassed.
We did Fantasia gardens late morning and it was quite warm, but here in summer, it's regularly 35-45 Celsius for a week at a time (then it breaks and we get some 2p-25 degree days) so in general, we are pretty used to and can handle warmer temps

I honestly forget if i wrote this earlier or not, but anyhoo

If you have time, you should check out some of the other resorts on property. They are attractions in themselves.

Art Of Animation, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Polynesian, Contemporary, and Boardwalk are my favs.

Though, if I had to limit them, I'd check Art of Animation and Boardwalk (Boardwalk is a brisk walk from inside Epcot between the UK and Paris area. It has an exit that leads straight to the Boardwalk resort (and Swan+Dolphin are part of the walk, too)....AND, it also has a walkway to Hollywood Studios. All connected.

I honestly forget if i wrote this earlier or not, but anyhoo

If you have time, you should check out some of the other resorts on property. They are attractions in themselves.

Art Of Animation, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Polynesian, Contemporary, and Boardwalk are my favs.

Though, if I had to limit them, I'd check Art of Animation and Boardwalk (Boardwalk is a brisk walk from inside Epcot between the UK and Paris area. It has an exit that leads straight to the Boardwalk resort (and Swan+Dolphin are part of the walk, too)....AND, it also has a walkway to Hollywood Studios. All connected.
We stayed at YC last time, and walked the boardwalk and to Fantasia gardens via the swolphin, but didn't actually go into either hotel :-(

Eh, seen one lobby, seen em all.
I was mainly talking about outside, actually.
The Boardwalk has a bunch of shops and nice view and all that, as you probably saw. If only more people knew about it, then the Dance Hall, ESPN, and piano bar would be busier.

Art Of Animation just has great giant figures around the hotel area and themed playground/pool areas (I love the Cars section of the hotel).
AND a great food court.

This makes me sound very unmanly, but I really enjoyed tea at the GF. Afterward we shopped at the fancy soap placeand the other hotel stores. All afternoon all I wanted was more scones with devinshire cream. That's a hotel worth an afternoon trip to cool off and relax. Then sit at the pool and take a nap.

I may have mentioned this, but Leigh strikes me as a meat and potatoes guy. I was reluctant to try it, but Hoop Dee Do was fun and great food too. I'm not a guy who walks around smiling or being happy, I tried it for the AYCTE fried chicken and beer, but they actually had me clapping along. If you try it, get section 1...much faster service. At Wilderness Lodge the horseback is only for novice riders, it becomes slow and boring.

I forgot you have done KTTK tour, I don't recommend wasting a day on the others unless you're there for more than ten days. It's just a time and money thing. I'll think of any other ideas, but I always like an early breakfast in a park so you can get in before rope drop and get great pics without a mob of people. The France pavilion now is open early, so breakfast at the bakery lets you into the world showcase before the 11:00 official opening. I think you can only get into France before they turn you away at Morocco. Still you have much smaller crowds.

Eh, seen one lobby, seen em all.
I was mainly talking about outside, actually.
The Boardwalk has a bunch of shops and nice view and all that, as you probably saw. If only more people knew about it, then the Dance Hall, ESPN, and piano bar would be busier.

Art Of Animation just has great giant figures around the hotel area and themed playground/pool areas (I love the Cars section of the hotel).
AND a great food court.
The Dance Hall will never be busy; people hit Jelly Rolls first and never leave.

• Last time when Leigh played golf, I did the KTTK tour, I probably wont waste half a day doing another tour, I don't think any of them appeal to me. I do love to ride horses, but I think the trail ride might be a bit tame for me, but I'm open to investigating it. HAS ANYONE DONE THIS?
Teresa and Julie reviewed the horse riding on the 22nd February 2011 show. A long time ago, but I doubt anything has changed. It did sound very tame. (How fortuitous that I just listened to this podcast yesterday! :) )

Teresa and Julie reviewed the horse riding on the 22nd February 2011 show. A long time ago, but I doubt anything has changed. It did sound very tame. (How fortuitous that I just listened to this podcast yesterday! :) )
Thanks jadeey!!
I'll have to give that one a listen!!

Since you've done KTTK already, the only other extra cost tours I would recommend would be the Animal Kingdom Trek and Behind the Seeds at Epcot. I took a niece on the Trek years ago the first yr it opened so we got a great rate. However, the cost has gone sky high since then but it was an exceptional experience. It also took almost half the day so it is costly time wise as well as out of pocket. Behind the Seeds is on the exact opposite spectrum: one of the lowest cost tours and short and sweet. If you enjoy the Living with the Lands ride then you will love it. If you don't, it just won't appeal. Personally, if I only had 6 or 7 days at WDW, I wouldn't spend the time on the extra stuff but would plan a selfish my half day time. I'd choose a park that I always wanted to spend more time in and plan my day accordingly. I'd get there at least a 1/2 hr before rope drop and just do whatever I wanted to do without regard to anyone else. The big reason why I love WDW solo vacations. I can do what I want on my time.

Hey kids!
So, I've been busy with work and trip planning the past week (among other things keeping me away from the boards, but that's another story) as well as being exhausted and sleeping in every day.

But I have a pondering for you all.
Which would you choose:
A moderate resort or one of the less accessible deluxe resorts (renting points)
Eg. A standard or savanna studio room at AKL is far cheaper, or the same as a mod (looking at August dates)
I'm just thinking that I'm not going to get a studio room for a week at this point at BLT, BCV, BWI or Poly

Hey kids!
So, I've been busy with work and trip planning the past week (among other things keeping me away from the boards, but that's another story) as well as being exhausted and sleeping in every day.

But I have a pondering for you all.
Which would you choose:
A moderate resort or one of the less accessible deluxe resorts (renting points)
Eg. A standard or savanna studio room at AKL is far cheaper, or the same as a mod (looking at August dates)
I'm just thinking that I'm not going to get a studio room for a week at this point at BLT, BCV, BWI or Poly
If you're not going to spend a lot of time in your room, or exploring your resort (or in the case of AKL with a savannah view on your balcony looking @ the animals), I'd personally go for the moderate. Might as well save some pennies where you can, and spend them elsewhere.

If you're not going to spend a lot of time in your room, or exploring your resort (or in the case of AKL with a savannah view on your balcony looking @ the animals), I'd personally go for the moderate. Might as well save some pennies where you can, and spend them elsewhere.
They're comparable in price, if not cheaper for the DVC though.
I guess my question is:
For the same price, would you choose a mod (daily housekeeping etc) or a deluxe DVC that isn't an Epcot or monorail resort

With either a Mod or outlier DVC (non Epcot or monorail) you are facing about the same time on bus transpo. Some Mods are better than others (and the Deluxe DVCs) esp French Quarter. It has one bus stop and is a much smaller resort. Watch out for the multiple interior bus stops at the Mods and the Deluxe DVCs. The crunch is what matters most: your time in the parks or the somewhat larger room in the Deluxe DVCs and its balcony? No balconies at the Mods. For me, I'd opt for French Quarter or even Riverside (but do your homework re room requests to be better placed in Riverside's interior bus stops) over Sarasota Springs. Better transportation. Not as good as a monorail (or even the POP ironically) but still better. You are also paying your $ to WDW rather than a private DVC member. While I haven't heard of any problems on the Boards with the favoured DVC rental companies, dollars for donuts always less risk to pay directly to WDW for a room rental.

Jes: if you are interested in the Riverside and/or French Quarter, check out the "unofficial guide to disney riverside resorts" - just google that string. Also found at portorleans.org. Started and maintained by UK Riverside enthusiasts, this is an incredible website that has been up for over 10 yrs. Lots of news, updated pics, reviews, food info, room selection tips & strategies, etc. It was an incredible resource for me yrs ago when I took a niece to Riverside. We stayed in the Alligator Bayou section, Bldg 14. Its since become a preferred room location but at that time it was a superb 2 min walk to the main bus stop and the lobby/cafeteria.

Okay, I get your question now, and I still say I'd do a moderate, and I'd strongly lean towards POFQ (one of my fave places to stay on property), as I recommended before, and as Sam is also so wisely advising, for a lot of the same reasons. Like I said, IF I were going to be spending a lot more time in the room/at the resort, I'd maybe consider the deluxe DVC, but it doesn't sound like you'll be spending much time "chillin'". :)

thanks ladies,

POFQ isn't usually a part of the room discounts that get released though right? whereas riverside is?
I've always leaned towards CSR, but POFQ took my fancy last year in some research... hmmm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!