Princess Jes' Official (narcissistic) trip planning thread (help and advise required!)

If you go in october, there's Halloween Horror Nights at Universal!
And Mickeys Not So Scary party in Magic Kingdom.
Kids are still in school, so not AS packed.

RPR? I figured you'd have been swayed by the Universal show to try Cabana Bay (they looove it, and its probably cheaper, but you do you!)

Other things you should/could do that isn't in Universal/Disney.
Take a trip to the Florida Mall and/or Mall at Millenia (assuming you've never been to either). Mall at Millenia is more high-end shops mixed in with a bunch of the same stuff you'll find at other malls.
Florida Mall is just huge and fun (well, as fun as a mall can be).
But you said you're not renting a car, but I'd imagine aside from a cab...

Jess, my wife and I are staying at a studio @ BWV starting on Wed 1/6........heard they've been redone already. I'll get some pics and put them up next week so you can get a preview. We're really looking forward to the Luna pool..........that clown is creepy!

Doug :goofy:
Thanks!!! The clown freaks me out! Lol

If you go in october, there's Halloween Horror Nights at Universal!
And Mickeys Not So Scary party in Magic Kingdom.
Kids are still in school, so not AS packed.

RPR? I figured you'd have been swayed by the Universal show to try Cabana Bay (they looove it, and its probably cheaper, but you do you!)

Other things you should/could do that isn't in Universal/Disney.
Take a trip to the Florida Mall and/or Mall at Millenia (assuming you've never been to either). Mall at Millenia is more high-end shops mixed in with a bunch of the same stuff you'll find at other malls.
Florida Mall is just huge and fun (well, as fun as a mall can be).
But you said you're not renting a car, but I'd imagine aside from a cab...
I'm not really into horror, so I'm not sure HHN is worthwhile for me, but at the same time, I want to see what all the hype is about!
And nah, they haven't unfortunately. They've deterred me from HRH, but CBBR doesn't have the unlimited express, so that's veto' straight up.
I'm not sure I want to spare any in park time for a mall.
With the exchange rate, shopping won't be high on my list of things to do. In 2014, it was worthwhile to spend up on Nike and cosmetics, but I did a calc the other day on an Urban Decay blush.
AUD$39 vs USD$26
After exchange, it was only AUD$0.40 cheaper in the states... Kill me

Jess, my wife and I are staying at a studio @ BWV starting on Wed 1/6........heard they've been redone already. I'll get some pics and put them up next week so you can get a preview. We're really looking forward to the Luna pool..........that clown is creepy!

Doug :goofy:
Have a great time, Doug! I have to agree about the clown - I love to go to sleep in WDW with the drapes open, so I can wake in the middle of the night and enjoy a view - there I closed 'em - TIGHT!! :rotfl2:

Jes! I remember telling you I'd get some Poly studio villa pics for you on our trip. I got some - let me know if you want me to post them. PS - it was amazing. I've never stayed Deluxe prior to that trip, but we did AKL and the Poly and both were great. We did prefer the Poly because a) Ohana and Kona and b) close proximity to MK/monorail.

We went the week of Sept 13-20 in 2014 and it was great.

Jes! I remember telling you I'd get some Poly studio villa pics for you on our trip. I got some - let me know if you want me to post them. PS - it was amazing. I've never stayed Deluxe prior to that trip, but we did AKL and the Poly and both were great. We did prefer the Poly because a) Ohana and Kona and b) close proximity to MK/monorail.

We went the week of Sept 13-20 in 2014 and it was great.
Sure!! I think everyone would like a squizz at them, love seeing pics from trips!!

Aussie Dollar stinks at the moment
Any chance that an Australian airline or another popular airline in the East have fly & stay packages with WDW where you pay in Australian $s for a combined flight, WDW hotel & ticket combo? We have a few of these in Canada with Air Canada and Westjet and paying in Cdn $s is a plus if the airline hasn't already hiked up the pkg price to compensate for the dollar.

we will most likely leave around Sept 15th
Remember that September is right in the middle of Florida's hurricane season. Now, for the past few yrs this hasn't been a big issue. Lots & lots of miserable rain (often days in a row) but WDW prices are more competitive in Sept so many people grin and bear it. However, every once in a while there is a truly serious hurricane threat. Generally, Orlando is not as affected because it is inland and not on the coast. In past years, there have been a few times when WDW has had to close parks & ask guests to stay put in their rooms. Given how much money your vacation will cost, if you have the terrible luck to be at WDW during a hurricane, it would be a serious problem for your vacation. I just don't go in Sept because I have family & friends on the coast who have had massive problems with hurricane damage. Instead, I would look at the tail end of October/early Nov if at all possible so you could still hit MNSSHP, the Food & Wine Festival and often better weather. I take my annual trip at this time and while this past Fall was hot & humid with temps in the 80s, this was a one off. Usually, temps are in the high 70s and much less rain than Sept.

All the best with your planning!

It seems to be cheaper to rent points for 7 nights than to stay Moderate
I agree with some of the PPs that the Mods to consider are the sister POR and POFQ. I stayed at POR about 7 yrs ago and I really liked it for what it was. The pros of POR: great theming, quiet resort for sleeping, fun bar/lounge with live music, great boat transpo to Dis Springs and not terribly long bus ride to parks. Cons: at least at that time, we had to cycle the bus through POFQ and then the internal bus stops at POR so personally, I didn't find the bus ride to be that much shorter than say POP value resort. Since I have stayed, they have made the most convenient blgs (eg bldg 14 in Alligator Bayou where I stayed) into preferred locations and charge more. You may find yourself out in the boonies at an isolated bus stop if booking a standard room. I haven't stayed at FQ but it is the most popular Mod on the Boards. However, given its popularity, WDW rarely provides a Fall discount for FQ like it does for its larger and less popular sister resort POR. Re Deluxe Resorts, if you are going to spend the money, I think you are right to look at an Epcot area resort like YC or Beach Club. I have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge and while gorgeous theming in the lobby, the standard rooms weren't much bigger than a Mod room. The transportation was also a killer. No monorail at WL. The boat ride to MK was beautiful when the weather was good. But if driving rain, it was miserable. The bus system was one of the worst I have experienced at WDW. Slow and unpredictable. I think its worse than AK Lodge. Busing is hands-down superior at POP Century and even the All-Stars because the value resorts have to deal with the volume. I wouldn't stay at a standard room at WL again. Its wonderful to visit (I love to see the lobby in its Christmas finery) and enjoy the Territory Lounge for a drink and light/cheaper dinner. If I were you, I would either spend the big bucks for an Epcot area Deluxe like YC or Beach Club or cheap down to POP Century and budget in the extra early morning bus transpo time to be at the parks for 1/2 hr before rope drop. I'm an early morning person so POP works for me. However, I certainly get tired after a few days and find I can't drag myself through late evenings and fireworks. It's all about what your priorities are. If you are a night owl, then paying more for the YC might be your best bet so you can cram as much into your 7 day vacation as possible.

Any chance that an Australian airline or another popular airline in the East have fly & stay packages with WDW where you pay in Australian $s for a combined flight, WDW hotel & ticket combo? We have a few of these in Canada with Air Canada and Westjet and paying in Cdn $s is a plus if the airline hasn't already hiked up the pkg price to compensate for the dollar.
Possibly, but I think it just ends up being the USD equivalent, they'd have to increase prices to account for it, and they'd pass it on, but I will check when the time comes.

Remember that September is right in the middle of Florida's hurricane season. Now, for the past few yrs this hasn't been a big issue. Lots & lots of miserable rain (often days in a row) but WDW prices are more competitive in Sept so many people grin and bear it. However, every once in a while there is a truly serious hurricane threat. Generally, Orlando is not as affected because it is inland and not on the coast. In past years, there have been a few times when WDW has had to close parks & ask guests to stay put in their rooms. Given how much money your vacation will cost, if you have the terrible luck to be at WDW during a hurricane, it would be a serious problem for your vacation. I just don't go in Sept because I have family & friends on the coast who have had massive problems with hurricane damage. Instead, I would look at the tail end of October/early Nov if at all possible so you could still hit MNSSHP, the Food & Wine Festival and often better weather. I take my annual trip at this time and while this past Fall was hot & humid with temps in the 80s, this was a one off. Usually, temps are in the high 70s and much less rain than Sept.
We are restricted in going before October because of Leigh's cricket season beginning in October. He has said he may be able to miss the first game or two (some games run over 2 weeks, so potentially just one game) but a mid October trip has basically been veto'd by him (even though it would coincide with his wife's 30th birthday... but lets not get into him choosing a sport over his wife's birthday wishes) so at this point, October isn't an option, hurricanes or no.

You wanted an example of a word I'd have to look up. There it is.
Haha, and what did the all mighty Google provide you with?

Since I have stayed, they have made the most convenient blgs (eg bldg 14 in Alligator Bayou where I stayed) into preferred locations and charge more. You may find yourself out in the boonies at an isolated bus stop if booking a standard room.
Yeah, I'd be paying for a preferred if we stayed at CSR (or POR), but when I have looked into Mods, I preferred the look of POFQ over POR

or cheap down to POP Century
I don't mean to sound elitist, but Values are out of the question. After our first and only trip being at a deluxe, I just couldn't do it. id rather spend a bit more TBH.
Not that I don't think they serve a purpose, they do, but as a couple with no children, we don't have the added cost of extra tickets, so we can afford to spend that on "better" accommodations.

So, that being said, I'm more looking for a balance of location and price.
Only having 7 nights (and no trip in the foreseeable 2-5 year future) I want to utilise park time (or just time in general) as best as I can.

Values are out of the question.
I completely understand. Its a matter of what works best for each guest. I'm lucky in that I can get to WDW in under 3 hrs by plane. So I can carve out a 2 wk vacation with the idea that my time in the parks at F&W, and the holiday parties and visiting the restaurants & bars in the deluxe resorts is more important to me than my room. That's the financial balance/bargain that I strike with myself. I'm prepared to spend the extra time on the bus because I do have that extra week to play with. My room is just a safe place to sleep. Period. But if I only had 7 nights and wouldn't have the chance to get back to WDW in 3+ yrs, then my priorities would change in an instant. YC here I come! :-) I also have to say that when I first started to visit WDW with my nieces, I wouldn't consider the values at all thinking it was just a hoard of screaming kids clustered around a dirty pool. However, I've found that they are much, much better than what I thought & fit my touring style perfectly. I budget $2K CDN for a 2 week WDW vacation (with Fall free dining) including airfare from Syracuse, NY. That's a great deal. Our best travel deals in Canada used to be Varadero Beach in Cuba with an all inclusive charter flight pkg eg Sunquest for $1500 Cdn for 1 week. My inexpensive WDW vacations allow me to budget for a future trip to Australia and/or a Baltic cruise including Russia. Everyone has to make choices that work best for them. But in the scheme of things, I found the Mods just don't work (at least for me). They did 10 yrs ago but with the strengthening US dollar, they are no longer on the table for me and the values now work just fine in their place.

Just did a quick check:
Flight Centre (big travel agency in Aus - linked to Corporate traveller in the USA) has the following:
3 nights at the DLH in std room
2 day, 1 park tickets
1 character meal EDIT: I was looking at one that didn't include my dates. The one that does, does not include the character meal, making it even worse value to book locally
transfers to LAX
for travel between Sep 21 and Dec 31 (so including my travel dates give or take a few days)
for AUD$3,618

Pricing out Sept 21 for 3 nights as per the above with 2 day tickets on the DL website I get:
2 day tix: USD$185 each (total $370)
3 nights accom: USD$1,505.79
Total: USD$1,875.79 (when doing the room with tickets included, it came to $2,087... why is that? whats the extra $582 for?!?!)
plus the character meal each, which cant come to more than USD$100 surely? and transfers, I have no idea how much they'd be
so lets say an even $2,000 give or take say $50
at an exchange rate of $0.68, it comes to AUD$2,941.18
So it doesn't seem worthwhile to book through an agent like that (plus, id rather go through dreams and support them!)

If it was significantly better, usually those with flights included would have the potential to be a better offer, then sure, but at this rate, id rather DIY (through dreams)

Flights are looking to be around AUD$2,800 each just to go from MEL to MCO, so no other stop in between for wherever else we go, which isn't right.
I paid $4,800 total for Leigh and I for the following (in 2014)
MEL-MCO (via Syd and LAX)
MCO-Miami-New Orleans (this was on a separate ticket, Delta wanted to send us up to NYC from MCO to get to New Orleans... so AA it was)
New Orleans-NYC
NYC-Las Vegas
Las Vegas-LAX
LAX-MEL (via Syd)

prices should come down soon.

Last edited:
squizz
Noun
(plural squizzes)

1. (UK, Australia, New Zealand, colloquial) A look.
Perfect!!

My inexpensive WDW vacations allow me to budget for a future trip to Australia and/or a Baltic cruise including Russia
I'm not sure that should even be a question... Australia wins!!
You can stay with me for your Melbourne portion, that's a savings of at least AUD$1,000 for a week in Melbourne!!

Off topic: I'm sure this is the equivalent of someone asking a Canadian if they eat poutine every night or enjoy maple syrup on their ice cream every night for dessert, but isn't Dame Edna from Melbourne? The actor Barry Humphries? Like many Cdns, I love Dame Edna. Top marks to him/her for sarcasm, class, wit and a certain je ne sais quoi. Are all Melbournians (?) so intelligent, funny & superior? (rhetorical question, I think. In the words of Homer Simpson: duh) :D Melbourne just keeps producing top-notch, world-class citizens!

Off topic: I'm sure this is the equivalent of someone asking a Canadian if they eat poutine every night or enjoy maple syrup on their ice cream every night for dessert, but isn't Dame Edna from Melbourne? The actor Barry Humphries? Like many Cdns, I love Dame Edna. Top marks to him/her for sarcasm, class, wit and a certain je ne sais quoi. Are all Melbournians (?) so intelligent, funny & superior? (rhetorical question, I think. In the words of Homer Simpson: duh) :D Melbourne just keeps producing top-notch, world-class citizens!
Yes, we are all witty, sarcastic and of course intelligent and superior. :)
but seriously, I love Melbourne, bi-polar weather and all.
But to be honest, I haven't ever really watched any Dame Edna stuff. It's very outdated here, but I think she/he was huge in the 80's

Alright kids, I need opinions:
Aus school holidays:
Most states: 24 Sept - 9 Oct
Victoria and Queensland: 17 Sept - 2 Oct
South Australia: 1 Oct - 16 Oct

so, our flights are running around $600 more each, excluding any internal USA flights.

Would you forego the chance to go to MNSSHP for $1,200 (possibly more) savings in flights if we go ~ 29 Aug for 2 weeks

Oct is cheap too, but we've discussed my dear husband's bull crap reasons for not going in Oct.

No costumes at MNSSHP annoys me, but I'd still go. but is it really worth that much extra in flights?

Also, how should I expect crowds Late Aug/Early Sept vs Late Sept?

We've done MNSSHP a few times, and I can live without it, especially for $1200.
Schools here generally start back up in early Sept, but let's be honest, it's always going to be crowded. As long as you go in knowing that, you can enjoy any time of year.

@samsteele this is off topic, but I just tried to send you a PM but there's no option on your profile to do so :-(
It was a link to something I saw on FB this evening, but I don't think I'll be able to here

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter