Pre-trip report November, 2015 Hershey to WDW

"Bitter", party of one...paging "Bitter" party of one.

Yes, I'm a little bitter. I log on exactly 15 minutes ago to do our FPs, and I get exactly one day done before apparently the whole system gets overloaded and I can't do anymore FPs. Listen, Disney, you want to impose these schedules on us, 180 days, 60 days, whatever, I can deal. But then you just shrug your shoulders when your own dang system can't handle the web traffic?! That just irks me.

Okay, rant done. I'm better. It's not like I need the FPs desperately. In fact, I am planning to make most of our FPs the day of, but after talking with Nigel, I did plan to do some for our party night and some for the next day at DHS. I got the party night done, but not the times I want, and of course, can't do anything at the moment, so I'm writing this late night (early morning?) update. So, for the party night, we made FPs for Splash Mountain, 7DMT and Buzz Lightyear. And now, to bed. :)

I totally get you on that. I was lucky enough not to encounter that issue, maybe because our FP window opened 60 days from a Friday which isn't a typical arrival date. But yeah, you'd think such a big company would be able to invest a bit more in their servers and website. It reminds of when Free Dining came out - took 4 hours to get two rooms booked online.

I don't get the Mouse's lack of expenditure on their web presence. Amazon, Facebook, Apple, Google, etc use huge volumes of bandwidth and yet they get it done with only the occasional hiccup. Especially that they are push so hard on pushing the My Disney Experience stuff if they don't invest in the back end the magic turns into a nightmare.

I totally get you on that. I was lucky enough not to encounter that issue, maybe because our FP window opened 60 days from a Friday which isn't a typical arrival date. But yeah, you'd think such a big company would be able to invest a bit more in their servers and website. It reminds of when Free Dining came out - took 4 hours to get two rooms booked online.

Yeah, I think a lot of people were on last night because Nov. 8 starts free dining, and the days before that are blacked out. So, probably a lot of people are starting that date.

you can make FP on parties?!?

Yep! Only up until 7 pm though. And that must have filled up quick. I tried rearranging some times throughout the day today, and while there were several evening times for 7DMT, there was nothing past 2:30 for either Splash or Buzz (my other FPs). Oh well. Since I don't think we are going for any character meets, I'm hoping the lines won't be too bad for the Party.

So, it's official!! 60 days or two months, either way, it's coming up!!! Of course, today Facebook decided to torture me by doing that 'show your memories' thing and almost all the posts were Disney-related! Since on this date in 2012, we had landed in Orlando and checked into the Swolphin for our first official Disney vacation onsite. And on this date last year, we had breakfast at Crystal Palace and then spent the day at Blizzard Beach! Our first time at a Disney water park! Seriously, it was enough to make me check flight prices for next weekend; I am so ready to be in Disney. Mo, I think you said it too on your PTR, need to get back to September trips!!! Next year, right?!

Hopefully, all the Holiday stuff will be worth it. I am excited to see Osborne Lights and the Holiday Party. Oh, the only other FPs I made were for DHS on our second to last day because we have our lunch at Sci-Fi planned and I know that won't change, but otherwise, we are still leaving it pretty loosey-goosey. We are fortunate that we can just go with the flow with just the two of us. I am thinking about checking FPs each morning or perhaps evening before and doing things that way. An interesting experiment for the Trip Report to follow. :)

Now, I REALLY feel like I have nothing left to do! We finalized the Magic Bands. I can't pack this soon cause I still feel so uncertain about temperature in November, so I want to wait until closer to see the 10-day forecasts. And, we can only theorize about our first driving trip and the route we will take so many times!! The one thing we have kicked off is our Disney diet. Okay, not technically solely for Disney, but after our Punta Cana trip, we were so sick of dieting that we maaaay have put all our weight back on! Don't worry, it was a totally enjoyable process, but now we have to buckle down so our pants can fit again!

Good luck to all who have their FastPasses coming up! Hopefully, the system doesn't crash for you!!!

And, we can only theorize about our first driving trip and the route we will take so many times!!

Speak for yourself. I am now pondering renting a large cabin cruiser and traveling down the intracoastal waterway to Florida. Options. Options. Options. o_O*

Also, we still have gear to sort out. We need to get you an iPhone 6s, and maybe a new backup Moto for me.

The packing is going to be trick depending on November's weather I will grant you. Plus we have to decide if we are going to splurge (I mean a BIG bank breaking splurge) on dining at Vicky & Al's.

*Seriously, I keep weighing traveling down 95 all the way to Florida or taking the 81 to 77 path. While I do overall 95 would be easier, I can't fathom D.C. traffic around 7pm or so on a Friday. If we were to leave at 4am on Saturday I might think differently. Blurg.

Yep! Only up until 7 pm though.

Oh oh! duh..
I thought you were making them FOR the party! i was wondering how that happened..
I blame my stupidity on lack of sleep...

show your memories' thing and almost all the posts were Disney-related!

O.M.G! you are so so right! between this and time hop it's ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME! killing me.

Mo, I think you said it too on your PTR, need to get back to September trips!!! Next year, right?!

Your right i did.. No more of this November crap. we need Sept back!

I think it's funny we will be in Disney pretty much every year around the same time!

ONE YEAR OF WALT DISNEY WORLD continues . . .

We're down to 38 days until we start our drive to Florida. Our next trip was tentatively planned for January of 2016. We have not been able to do much more since Frontier Airlines, which is our first choice in cheap flights to Florida, did not release flight details after January 4th. That is until today because Frontier released dates until April, 2016. Both Trenton and Philadelphia had some good first release date deals, but we decided to fly out of Philadelphia early Thursday morning and return early Monday morning around the MLK holiday.

Flight. Secured.

Now what about lodging? We decided to make this our more frugal stay if at all possible so we decided to use the M.E. instead of renting a car. When we looked online things were booking up rather quickly. Pop appeared to be booked. The rates at the moderates were all okay. As we were relying on Disney transportation staying at an All Star with its less focused bus service was not something we wished to face. For the time being we are booked at Pop in a standard room. I would not mind springing for a preferred, but there are none available for these dates. Li Li brought up possible DVC rental. If the deal and the location were right that be something nice to try. At least for now we are booked at a place we like, Pop.

Lodging. Safe, but subject to change.

Li Li can go into what we might do for ADRs, etc. As this is a fiscally responsible four nighter (Fiscally responsible going to Disney. I know. Dream on.:)) I think we're being enjoying mostly quick service for our meals.

We have to figure out if and where we are going to stay and park our car the night before our flight. We have our dog sitter scheduled to look after our critters while we are away. Our ONE YEAR OF DISNEY WORLD marches onward. (I wish I could read ahead to see if we pull this off as we hope. Alas, there is no cheating.)

Where do you rent your car from?

Glad you have somewhere to stay! LOL.. Can't wait to hear if you rent points!!!

Where do you rent your car from?

Glad you have somewhere to stay! LOL.. Can't wait to hear if you rent points!!!

Usually, we get our car rental using Costco travel. They usually have the best deal. Typically Budget has the lowest rates, although sometimes Enterprise can be pretty good too.

I used Sixt this last time and wasn't real happy with their customer service. Nasty little things working in there!

I used Sixt this last time and wasn't real happy with their customer service. Nasty little things working in there!
Yuck, I hate bad counter agents! Costco rental prices are nice because they get you a good rate and it is almost always for one of the big companies, like Alamo or budget.

So, anyone else have intense budget talks this morning?? Oh, Disney, why do you hurt us?! :(

So, AP prices went up and it will be $200 more to upgrade now. Plus, Tables in Wonderland went up to $150. We had some serious thinking to do on this dreary Sunday morning. We are still thinking things over but some meals might be sacrificed. We'll see. I am hoping to get back tonight with a bigger update. Hope everyone is having a lazy Sunday! :)

Yuck, I hate bad counter agents! Costco rental prices are nice because they get you a good rate and it is almost always for one of the big companies, like Alamo or budget.

Yes that will be the last time i use them!!!

I am sorry about the AP prices! i just heard along with TIW just went up too.. It's almsot to the point no one can afford Disney anymore!

Yes that will be the last time i use them!!!

I am sorry about the AP prices! i just heard along with TIW just went up too.. It's almsot to the point no one can afford Disney anymore!

Yeah. I know what you mean. We groused and complained all yesterday to each other. While this won't change our greater scheme to multiple visits within a year we may cut out of signature dinning here and there or stay at a less expensive resort for one of our trips. I can't image what our ONE YEAR OF WALT DISNEY WORLD would cost if we did it again in three or fours years.

Yeah. I know what you mean. We groused and complained all yesterday to each other. While this won't change our greater scheme to multiple visits within a year we may cut out of signature dinning here and there or stay at a less expensive resort for one of our trips. I can't image what our ONE YEAR OF WALT DISNEY WORLD would cost if we did it again in three or fours years.

Don't ever add it up.. You'll just get upset! HA HA just go and enjoy. Do you get free parking with your AP? i heard Parking is going up as well!
just wait until next year.. They are making it so people can no longer afford to go!!

Out of an abundance of caution we have booked a night at the Clarion Inn at Lake Buena Vista for Saturday night. We had been thinking about winging it that night before our first night at AoA on Sunday night and Monday night. Li Li and I were thinking we might just show up and either just get an extra night at AoA (even if not the same room) or at an AS for the night. We'd get to be on property and all that good stuff. However, the entire WDW is practically booked unless we want a suite at a Deluxe or something priced close to it. Therefore, we are probably staying at the Clarion unless something opens up before our cancelation date of Friday. The Clarion looks nice. It is isn't too far away, and has some good reviews on the Boards.

We had our Pilot serviced at the dealer and are refraining from driving it too much before we go. Our Cruze gets much better MPG, but with gas prices so reasonable I think we're willing to trade away better fuel costs for more space and storage cubby holes of an SUV. We were just at the Delaware DIS meet for GKTW. It was fun, but it really got me Jonesing for of the Mouse's hospitality. We're just 18 days until we leave.

Omg, do you know what I just noticed?? I am now a DIS Veteran!!!
Woo hoo! Go me! :cool1:

As we were relying on Disney transportation staying at an All Star with its less focused bus service was not something we wished to face.

I do just want to quickly mention that we've stayed at the All-Stars three times now (11 days at the Music in October 2013, 8 days at the Sports in May 2014 and 2 days at the Movies in September 2014), plus are headed back there this November, and we've never had the slightest bit of a problem with buses. People like to hate on the All-Stars so much on this website, and bus system seems to be the one thing they attack the most.

The amount of times we've had to share a bus is disproportionately small to the amount of times we've had our own. It's more frequent for it to share for AK because it's right next door, typically for non busy times. I can't really think of times we've had to wait more than 5 minutes for a bus to come by around peak times, 10-15 minutes during dead times (but that's not an All-Star or values thing, we've waited that long for POFQ during midday breaks if you've just missed a bus). Also, bus sharing is definitely not a mark of low quality for a resort group - we've seen a lot of the Deluxes share with one another (Beach/Yacht Club, Boardwalk/Swan/Dolphin, most of the MK resorts as well are interchangeable in sharing). Sometimes a POFQ bus will share with POR as well.

Also, the Pop and AoA lines are always the furthest away you can get from any park entrance, aka the very last at the very end of all bus stops. The line for Pop always seems excessively long to me. And in May, after spending our last night at MK, our friend who was meeting with her mom at AoA was still waiting for a bus (and easily waited another 20-30 minutes after that) by the time we were settled in our rooms.

I mean, obviously resort preferences vary from person to person - and I'm not well versed with sports competitions, so I couldn't say if there's something going on in January to that effect. But if the bus system is what is getting you down on the All-Stars, and it's based on Dis reports and not personal experience, don't let it stop you. The Sports now feels as much like home to us as the French Quarter does :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter