Pre-trip report November, 2015 Hershey to WDW

Just a quick note on our ONE YEAR OF DISNEY. We are back from our November trip safe and sound. We've done a slight change to our January trip upgrading from POP to POFQ for the trip, and added a five night stay at POP at the beginning of May. We had to take advantage of our bounce back opportunity. I am certain Li Li and I will go into much greater detail on this trip and our future plans, but here is the down and dirty. Drive down went smoothly overall. We left right after work on Friday as planned stay overnight in North Carolina and arrived in Orlando around 3:30pm on Saturday no worse for the wear. Victoria and Alberts was great. MVMCP was fun. FW was fun and success. Midway during the vacation I succumbed to a head cold that is still dogging me. It was a bit of a downer but I pushed on for the most part. The first night's stay at the Clarion was good. Our two nights a AoA was very good. Our four nights at WL was spectacular. We arrived home this morning at 2:30am after a 16 hour road trip with only very brief pitstops. Lots of details to flesh out, but all in all it was good. We would drive again, I think. Although a few key lessons were learned along the way on this trip. Now we're under a sea of laundry and common cold remedies for me. Picture and maybe somehow videos to follow.

Last night Li Li wanted to have a serious talk. Now that Part I of our ONE YEAR OF DISNEY WORLD was complete we had to get down to business of figuring out which table service establishments we were going to do on our next trip in only 55 days we would try and knock out on her list. (Li Li has a list of all the food establishments we wish to indulge ourselves over this delightful year of the Mouse.) There are a lot of them. We did not get to as many as we first thought we would on this last trip. In part this was due to my weakened state with my Disney head cold and in part that we realized the combined price of all these table service establishments adds up fast. I think we have an agreed to food game plan for this trip, but we just love to second guess ourselves so stay tuned.

We decided during our recent trip to change from four nights at Pop in standard rooms to four night at POFQ for our January trip. This was for a number of reasons, but included was the nice bounce back deal available and we just really like POFQ when we stayed there in September of 2014. Also, since we won’t have a car this time relying soling on the Mouse’s transportation have access to a boat to Disney Springs would be handy. Also, I really enjoy the PO pools. We also booked five night in May at POP in preferred rooms. On this trip we will have a car as we need a rental to travel from Sanford to WDW, and we won’t have to rely upon the Mouse to get around. (I suspect this reservation will stick, I would not be stunned if this change to a moderate or DVC rental is the correct deal came our way.)

The Drive:

The drive down and back from Hershey to Walt Disney World was relatively pain free. Turns out our Honda Pilot is a good long distance cruiser. One the way down and back I took the first driving shift and lasted about four hours before switched divers. For an SUV we average about 22 MPG and with gas around $2.00 per gallon the wallet was not too terribly lightened. All in all it too about 15 hours of actual driving to get to WDW and about the same back. We took 95 all the way on the drive back, but took the more inland Washington, D. C. avoiding in land route of 81/77/29/95 on the way down.

I would do it again, although we might do a few things differently. On the return trip we left at 10:30am and arrived home at 2:30am. I would leave around 8am next time. There is just something about getting home after midnight that is psychologically depressing. For the drive down I wish we could have left about 2 or 3 hours earlier. We hit some significant rush hour traffic leaving Harrisburg that a start at 2pm or so would have avoided and we probably would have gain the net of an hour of travel time by avoiding such traffic. However, Li Li seems to think the better solution is to leave at 3 or 4am the next morning and do the drive in a single swoop down. Not sure what we’re do on our next driving trip.

When will the next drive to WDW be rather than flying? I suspect our September, 2016 will be it. As we plan to stay at Fort Wilderness in a rented RV. Not an RV than we rent and dive down, but an RV that we rent and skilled people set up for us. As with everything else this is subject to change but the rates for FWCG are significantly cheaper in September than in May, while the price of the RV rental seems to be static from what I can determine. I just like the idea of moseying around the camp ground and saddling up to the bar soak in the atmosphere and then take a boat to MK. It will be grand.

There is so much more to report on staying at the Clarion, AoA, WL, MVMCP, FW, chowing down at Vicky and Al’s. Stay tuned.

So glad that driving wasn't the worst for you guys. We will be flying infor the princess marathon in February, for the first time. Making plans without having a car is a lot tougher.

Tell me about V&A. Or better yet show me pictures. If one of you got the chicken I'm gonna find you and smack you in the face.

Overall I think we enjoyed the drive. I don't know if I would do it with every trip, but on the other hand we are still planning on driving down again in September. Li Li is working on a trip report.

Hi all! Sorry, I've been a bad DIS'er and took a bit of a break. I always find it a bit hard to get back in the swing of things after vacation. But enough lazing around, we have a trip to report! I'm going to set up a separate thread for the trip report, and I do have some written already about our drive down.

Tell me about V&A. Or better yet show me pictures. If one of you got the chicken I'm gonna find you and smack you in the face.

:rotfl2:Yes, we got some great pictures!

will you be doing a Trip report?!?!

Starting now! Link in next post!

Just a bit of quick update on our ONE YEAR OF DISNEY. We have booked two more trips. The first is in May for five nights at CS with a preferred king room. The second trip is for week in September, 2015. We have book a preferred camp site at FW and a 32' fifth wheel. We are not driving down with the fifth wheel, but doing one of those packages where the RV is dropped off and set up for you before you arrive. It'll be interesting. We've walked around FW a few times, and it ought to be a really relaxing way to spend six nights so close to the MK. We are flying down in May, and driving down again in September. It'll be my third drive down to Florida within a year. I am quickly becoming an old hand at it. Li Li is still working our trip reports for our November trip, and then we have all the stories to tell about our recent January trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter