Pre-trip report November, 2015 Hershey to WDW

I've eaten at V&A twice. Once at the chef's table for our tenth anniversary. It was amazing, but by the end, I was so full, I couldn't appreciate what I was eating. I also had the wine pairing, so I was lit like a Christmas tree. It was a lot of fun, though. I ate with my mom in the Queen Victoria room, too. It was also very good, but just too much food for us. Last August, we ate at the chef's table (I think that's what they call it) at the Flying Fish. It was really, really good, too. I highly recommend that if you ever want to try it.

I love Food and Wine fest. I'd like to try the Flower and Garden festival sometime, too. Maybe in 2017, once the Polynesian is finally done with all the major construction. Butter chicken is one of my favorite things ever. Have you eaten at Aangan in Harrisburg? They have such good Indian food.

I also love the Biergarten. Both times we've eaten there, we've had wonderful conversations with the people sitting at our table. And Boma is great, too.

Good choices for what you think you are going to eat. I'm one that is on the side that the Frozen S'More Drink is meh & I love S'mores usually. The Kimchi dog is going to be available at the outpost this year rather than the booth so you can still get it if you want.

Ooh, thanks for the tip about the kimchi hot dog! That's good to know. :)

I'm with Mo...I'm hungry now...

What did apples and coconut and pineapples do to you two??? Were you kidnapped by pirates and forced to eat these and now you both hate them? pirate: LOL!

You all don't like the above, but you ate the snails!?!?! That cracked me up. In my college years, I worked at a restaurant supplier in New Orleans. We could occasionally buy single item things if a client did not want a full case of something. One day a bought a snail dish. A friend and I decided to host a dinner party. We proceeded to cook snails with my new snail dish. Although they smelled wonderful (yes I love garlic and butter!), I could not bring myself to eat them because I had seen them uncooked. I just could not get my head wrapped around that thought.

As for MM, the videos are nice, but short. But I will get MM every time. We will jump in front of every photopass photg. we see and always ask if they have any magic shots...along with right before you go, do a goggle search for the current ones. (for example there were special ones at F & G this year...like Sven popping his head into the pictures you take with the A &E topiaries) We definitely got our money out of it. Plus they come with some stock photos too, which are nice.

Now, Victoria & Albert's is one of those I have no desire to do. Two reasons...one I am a big eater (see my size! lol!), and really enjoy places like Ohana's for dinner, and even though it is a seven course dinner, those courses look really small, two, although I like to eat a lot of stuff, I can't say that I am very adventuresome in trying new things, three, I hate to dress up! (that alone would keep me from eating there...weird I know)

Lynn

Sorry, Mo and Lynn, to induce hunger pains! :)

Well, when you put it like that (will eat snails but not pineapple), I guess we do sound weird, lol! :)

Your magic shots are great! I feel like I'm being too bossy if I ask for them. I don't know why. Again, I'm weird. The one trip I did see a photographer doing magic shots with Olaf so I made Nigel do that one. There's also the pic of us looking horrified at finding Tinkerbell in our hands! It's pretty funny since it wasn't intentional!

Yeah, dressing up is kinda mandatory for V&A! Honestly, I feel like I should be dressed up every time I walk into GFlo; its that kinda place. ;)

We live about an hour away from Hershey (my reason for clicking on this thread as well). I just love it there, especially Christmas Candylane.

We've also considered driving to WDW a few times, and even almost did so for our most recent trip coming up, but we are just too intimidated. Godspeed to you two! I can't wait to hear how it goes. :thumbsup2

PS- I thought I was the only really indecisive one when it comes to ADRs. I also change mine a bunch of times before settling, so I'm glad I'm not alone!

Thanks for joining in! :welcome:
Yeah, the drive will an adventure, especially since our longest trip to date has only been Connecticut.
Don't worry, you are not alone! I know plenty of people who are constantly changing ADRs! :)

I've eaten at V&A twice. Once at the chef's table for our tenth anniversary. It was amazing, but by the end, I was so full, I couldn't appreciate what I was eating. I also had the wine pairing, so I was lit like a Christmas tree. It was a lot of fun, though. I ate with my mom in the Queen Victoria room, too. It was also very good, but just too much food for us. Last August, we ate at the chef's table (I think that's what they call it) at the Flying Fish. It was really, really good, too. I highly recommend that if you ever want to try it.

I love Food and Wine fest. I'd like to try the Flower and Garden festival sometime, too. Maybe in 2017, once the Polynesian is finally done with all the major construction. Butter chicken is one of my favorite things ever. Have you eaten at Aangan in Harrisburg? They have such good Indian food.

I also love the Biergarten. Both times we've eaten there, we've had wonderful conversations with the people sitting at our table. And Boma is great, too.

The chef's table experience sounds like it would be awesome! We're still thinking about the wine pairing. I'm hoping to maybe just get one pairing and the other person sips some too because it will be a fair amount of wine. Also, because Nigel will not drink sweet wines and I'm sure there will be some. Flying Fish is on my list to try some day.

We haven't been to Aangan. Not sure why not. We used to go to Masala Bistro and then it got closed by the Health Dept. :scared: A new Indian restaurant just opened in Hershey, so we're looking forward to trying that.

The chef's table experience sounds like it would be awesome! We're still thinking about the wine pairing. I'm hoping to maybe just get one pairing and the other person sips some too because it will be a fair amount of wine. Also, because Nigel will not drink sweet wines and I'm sure there will be some. Flying Fish is on my list to try some day.

We haven't been to Aangan. Not sure why not. We used to go to Masala Bistro and then it got closed by the Health Dept. :scared: A new Indian restaurant just opened in Hershey, so we're looking forward to trying that.

We used to eat at Masala Bistro, too. I know there were problems with the building in general and I think those are fixed, but the last inspection report I saw online wasn't making me eager to return. I feel bad - the lady who worked as a hostess was always the nicest person. I'd love to know how the place in Hershey is!

I'm sorry I fell so far behind, but I am all caught up!!! You ADRs look great...I can't wait to hear about V&A.

Your choices for F&W look YUMMY! We are just missing F&W on our trip, but don't think Mr Picky (aka: my husband) would be very adventurous.

Sorry, Mo and Lynn, to induce hunger pains! :)

Well, when you put it like that (will eat snails but not pineapple), I guess we do sound weird, lol! :)

Your magic shots are great! I feel like I'm being too bossy if I ask for them. I don't know why. Again, I'm weird. The one trip I did see a photographer doing magic shots with Olaf so I made Nigel do that one. There's also the pic of us looking horrified at finding Tinkerbell in our hands! It's pretty funny since it wasn't intentional!

Yeah, dressing up is kinda mandatory for V&A! Honestly, I feel like I should be dressed up every time I walk into GFlo; its that kinda place. ;)

Yes.. hunger pains.. Not good to do to someone! HA HA HA

MAGIC SHOTS! our favorite!!! must always ask!!! the PP are such nice people (most of the time) they will LOVE to do them. or give you a private photoshoot!! Love them!

Ok i might have to try that tinkerbell horrified faces.. that too funny. we have so many Tink to have something different would be loads of fun!!!

Just wanted to say Hi! :wave2: Mostly, I read and don't post, but since so many people were introducing themselves, I thought I would too and add me to the list of people who clicked on this TR because we saw Hershey in the title. I'm about an hour from Hershey in northern Maryland. And, while I haven't driven to Disney (at least not as an adult) I have driven home from Disney (and 2 additional trips from SW Florida). My big advice for the trip home is - if you're taking 95 - make sure you plan to go thru DC as early as humanly possible, especially if you're traveling on a weekday!!

Enjoying reading about your plans!

Let’s talk Gear.

By “Gear” I mean electronics and various recording equipment we take on our travels. We have a new addition to our Gear portfolio, but before I get to that little item I will discuss all the electronic wonders we bring to the Disney party on our travels.

First we have our iPhones. They take nice snap shots and decent video. They also contain our lives. I have a 6 and Li Li currently has a 5s, but I suspect by the time of our trip she’ll be packing a 6s. They really are wonderful jack of all trades devices. Plus, all the My Magic Plus and Magic Bands not having a smart phone and traveling to Disney world is crazy.

For higher quality photographs I have a mirrorless compact system camera. This type of camera is quite wonderful, and a good compromise between picture quality and portability. It’s not that DSLRs don’t take the best photographs, but they are all so bulky, and honestly I do not have the talent to exploit all of the goodness of a DSLR. Instead I have an Olympus Pen E-PM1. It is a Micro 4/3 sensor that still takes far better pictures than any smartphone and the camera is small enough to it can fit into a hip bag. Smartphone chips are processing miracles, but there is still no substitute for a bigger sensor with clear glass lenses for a better picture. The E-PM1 is starting to get a tad long in the tooth, and a would love to get a pancake lens to make it even more portable in size. I think we're get at least another couple trips out of it, and the Olympus and Panasonic lenses are interchangeable. It makes the upgrade process just a bit more tolerable. Still, it works quite well. Unless one is a professional photographer, or a highly skilled hobby photographer, but you still care about taking nice pictures a compact system is the way to go.

For bad weather or something like a water park we have a FUJI Film point and shoot water/shock resistant camera. The images and video are about on par with the iPhone, but unlike an iPhone this thing can get wet without me having a mental breakdown. I bought a refurb model for about 30% off the new price before our last trip to Punta Cana. It was very handy, and it survived the pool and ocean with ease. It costs a lot less than a GoPro and I think the video and especially the sound quality are better. We’re taking pictures in a pool or in the rain not skydiving. Before going GoPro or something similar a hardened point and shoot might be the way to go.

I also have a Motorola Moto E smart phone. The picture and video quality are pretty ‘meh.’ However, if it is a foul weather day popping my SIM card from my iPhone to the Moto E is a nice option. If something terrible happens to the Moto it will stink but not be disastrous. Something happens to my iPhone it’s an immediate trip to the nearest Apple Store. I have all the basic apps on it like Facebook, Twitter, and Disney. I loaded onto its SD card a bunch of music, so I use it an iPod Touch. Unlike an iPod Touch it can double as a backup phone. For the money it’s a pretty impressive device.

We also have an iPad mini that we bring with us. It’s easier to plow through email or doing some web browsing back in the room, or to read a book or whatnot. We do not use it as a camera in the parks or anywhere else. I know other people do, but first the image quality is a step below an iPhone picture and second it just look stupid and blocks the sight lines for others.

We are Apple Watch people too. While Apple Watches are not necessary for modern communication, they are nice. Li Li and I tend to split up inadvertently while wondering around crowded places such as gift emporiums, lobbies, or theme parks. (I’ll be in Adventureland and somehow Li Li will wind up in the China Pavilion.)* It is quite handy to be able to tap out a quick “Where are you?” when this occurs. Then we can blame each other for wondering off. Also, the Watch is just cool. It’ll be nice to use them to pay for stuff since Disney accepts Apple Pay. (Mouse just take our money. No need to pull our a wallet. Just Take it all.) If you are an Android user seriously think about getting a Moto 360. Not a necessity but a handy luxury.

The addition to our electronic cornucopia of gadgets and gizmos is a Sony camcorder. We just bought it as an open box online, and saved about $50.00. It is small, light, and takes nice 1080p videos at 60fs. While it is far from professional grade it does a nicer job than the iPhone or FUJI. The Olympus can shoot video, but it is clearly a still picture camera over a video camera. When walking the Olympus needs some serious help in image stabilization, and it is 30fs. It's not bad, but not as good as one might hope. The Sony is small enough that it should easily fit in a cargo short pocket. We hope to document a fair amount of our drive from Pennsylvania to WDW, and this should make that a fair bit easier.

There you have it. We plan to travel with three cell phones, three picture/video cameras, an iPad, and a two smart watches. They all have their place, and job. Although if push came to shove the two most essential by far are the iPhones. Lose them might as well pack up crawl into a ball and go home.

It is not cheap, and Apple makes it hard to get a deal on any of their Designed in California and Made in China goodness. However, with the Olympus, the FUJI, and Sony we were able to score some deals getting refurbed/open box or with the Olympus buy a generation old product.

Oh, we’ll have four magic bands since the two of us will be staying at two different resorts. Can’t forget them either.

*just a bit of an exaggeration.

Let’s talk Gear.

Ohhh My favorite kind of talk!!!

I have a mirrorless compact system camera.

i have been looking at mirror-less cameras for a while... i have seen some fantastic shots taken with them!!! I am a Canon shooter DSLR. I like cameras....

a FUJI Film point and shoot water/shock resistant camera.

I have a olympus tough. Camera is PERFECTION. Water proof, video, easy to use.. I adore this camera!!!

cornucopia of gadgets and gizmos is a Sony camcorder.

HA! Love how you said that..

Another camera we are looking for. We need a nice video camera, something my husband can carry must have a stabilizer!!! LOL.

Love all your gadgets!

we have: phones, my DSLR, the olympus, a Nikon somthing-er-other a coolpix -the kids use it for pictures and video, and we borrowed my Parents video camera last year, i understand your need for GADGETS!

Just wanted to say Hi! :wave2: Mostly, I read and don't post, but since so many people were introducing themselves, I thought I would too and add me to the list of people who clicked on this TR because we saw Hershey in the title. I'm about an hour from Hershey in northern Maryland. And, while I haven't driven to Disney (at least not as an adult) I have driven home from Disney (and 2 additional trips from SW Florida). My big advice for the trip home is - if you're taking 95 - make sure you plan to go thru DC as early as humanly possible, especially if you're traveling on a weekday!!

Enjoying reading about your plans!

Hi!!! :welcome:

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond! But thanks for following along and introducing yourself! Yeah, I think the DC area will be the biggest problem area. I think we could possibly take Route 15 south around it but that means no I-95 the whole way down. And it seems like 95 would be easiest. Yeah, I think I'm definitely leaving route planning up to Nigel! :drive:

Ohhh My favorite kind of talk!!!

i have been looking at mirror-less cameras for a while... i have seen some fantastic shots taken with them!!! I am a Canon shooter DSLR. I like cameras....

I have a olympus tough. Camera is PERFECTION. Water proof, video, easy to use.. I adore this camera!!!

HA! Love how you said that..

Another camera we are looking for. We need a nice video camera, something my husband can carry must have a stabilizer!!! LOL.

Love all your gadgets!

we have: phones, my DSLR, the olympus, a Nikon somthing-er-other a coolpix -the kids use it for pictures and video, and we borrowed my Parents video camera last year, i understand your need for GADGETS!

Thank goodness! I knew you would be able to talk gear with him, Mo. Unfortunately, my eyes start to glaze over at a certain point, and I just start saying "yes, dear." Which may be how we ended up with the Sony camcorder. :tongue:

Actually, I am looking forward to using the camcorder. It is really easy and lightweight. We've already been videotaping things as practice, and it has been a lot of fun and sooooo simple to use. I am actually really excited we got it.

So, I haven’t been on DIS much lately. I feel like I haven’t much to report. But today, I finally got my **** in gear and decided to try to be crafty. I suffer from what I have termed “delusions of craftiness.” This is a disease in which I see cute things on the Internet and think I can recreate same. I should just learn that I am not crafty. It’s like my soul thinks it is crafty, but my execution knows that I have no such gene. C’est la vie. And thus I give you my recent craftiness fail.

I saw on the interwebs that someone made Mickey shirt tie-dyes the shortcut way – using sharpie markers. Sounds simple enough.

Here is what I was copying, pictures taken from the Internet:

20829956165_9cc1c77673.jpg

20641915380_71b95e55e9.jpg

20641971928_711bb5e48c.jpg

Here is what I accomplished:

20829960295_c16b17b587_z.jpg

20641974298_f930549224.jpg

20820456672_f309ca1a01.jpg
20803657986_cc83b53368.jpg

:rotfl2::rotfl::rotfl2:

Yeah, so not quite like the Internet pictures.

I actually haven’t lost all hope. I think I understood the mechanics of it by the end. Admittedly, I was using a very old T-shirt for practice. So, maybe with a nicer T-shirt and a trial run under my belt, it will turn out better next time. Nigel has professed his disinterest no matter what happens. Yeah, he’s not a match-y shirt kind of guy. In fact, he would not even wear an “I hate matching t-shirt” shirt. :confused3 Oh well.

I leave you with our date night selfie from this weekend. Just cause I think we look good. :)

20641919240_affe2cf8a1.jpg

Hi!!! :welcome:

Yeah, I think the DC area will be the biggest problem area. I think we could possibly take Route 15 south around it but that means no I-95 the whole way down. And it seems like 95 would be easiest. Yeah, I think I'm definitely leaving route planning up to Nigel! :drive:

Given that we plan to leave after work on a Friday, I am leaning toward driving down Interstate 81 instead of interstate 83 or RT 15. Both 81 and 15 go through the crawl that is the D.C. beltway. 81 to 77 is something like 40 extra miles, but at least for the first leg of the journey should have less traffic. In the big scheme of things those extra miles are no big whoop. It also will depend on the weather. I am thinking we can crash (as in sleep not wreck the car) around Charlotte, and finish the drive the next day.

If this all works as planned we're get to Orlando/Disney sometime on Saturday. We'll have to find a place to stay as our first night at AOA is Sunday. Li Li is thinking a Lake Burena Vista hotel for that night. I have this weird dream of just swinging into an All Star and asking what they have for a night. (Before I did this I'd check online to actually see if they have a room and not make a fool of myself or knowing me I'd just book it then and there.) Although I suspect if we arrived early enough on Saturday a Lake Buena Vista hotel might make more sense if we just wanted to hand around/ rest/ zone out around a pool. I know the All Stars have pools, but no ready shade. Unless we are feeling poor then we're stay at the MCO Econolodge.

I also have the idea that we would get a room and then hit a park. Why not we're being getting APs. Although checking out Downtown Springs, (or whatever it'll be called at that point) that evening might make more sense. We have a whole 75 days to work all this stuff out.

i cannot stop laughing....

cannot....

I can laugh because this is something i would do as well!!!

BUT you CAN take a great picture! you two are ADORABLE!!!

and yes i am always willing to talk cameras!

I live very close to Charlotte! I'm not sure if you have driven from this area before or not, but it usually takes between 8-9 hours to get to Disney from here...I guess it really all depends on how many breaks you need to take. My DH and I are hoping since it will just be the 2 of us we can get down there closer to the 8 hour mark since we won't require so many potty breaks without the kiddos along...LOL! We (well I am) hoping to get on the road around 4am so that would put us down there close to lunch time. :)

Thanks for the Charlotte travel time to WDW. That more or less fits from what we've deduced from Google Maps and Apple Maps. We're hoping to arrive at WDW mid-afternoon on Saturday.

Thanks for the Charlotte travel time to WDW. That more or less fits from what we've deduced from Google Maps and Apple Maps. We're hoping to arrive at WDW mid-afternoon on Saturday.

I can say that if my friend and I wouldn't have hit the construction traffic in VA that we lost an hour in and the 15 mins worth of construction traffic just outside of Charlotte on the south side, we would have been in Orlando by 11pm. Instead we were in Daytona by 10:50. We stopped for breakfast and Dinner. We just snacked out way through lunch. We also did the every 3 hrs get out stretch and change drivers (it was also usually time to get gas in the car).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter