Post family Disney-theme night ideas HERE!

Our first movie night:

Aladdin
I made up a menu for the kids. It looked like this:
ry%3D400

If you can't see it, our menu consisted of: Aladdin kabobs, Geni's couscous/rice, Jasmine and Rajas fruit salad, Sultan's Wine (kiwi strawberry juice), and Abu's monkey bread.
ry%3D400

For activities, we made our own "Flying Magic Carpets" and we made "Abu" hats. The kids had a blast!
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Rory's carpet and hat:
ry%3D400

Caleb's carpet and hat:
ry%3D400

Up next: Tangled :goodvibes

I LOVE the spaghetti and meatball cupcakes! How cute!!

The tv (and the cutie pie "on" tv) is such a cute idea!

I'm still laughing at the "Cobra Bubbles" and I want to eat all of that fruit!!

Those wontons look yummy! I wonder if they make egg-free wonton wrappers? Mmmmmmm....

Love the magic carpets! :thumbsup2

I need help from the Family Fun Night creative minds! We went to WDW in December, and I surprised the kids by planning a Mickey themed night. The activity was a scavenger hunt with a decoder page. The page said "Guess where we are going in December?" and there were blank spaces at the bottom with numbers below them. They had to search for Mickey head cards with math problems on them. Each math problem had a letter as the answer, so 4+3=D was one of them, for example. The letters spelled out "Disney World" and that was the big reveal.

So now we are going to Disneyland (CA) this summer, and I'd like to surprise them with another Family Fun Night reveal. Help! What should I do? Hit me with your best ideas!

I need help from the Family Fun Night creative minds! We went to WDW in December, and I surprised the kids by planning a Mickey themed night. The activity was a scavenger hunt with a decoder page. The page said "Guess where we are going in December?" and there were blank spaces at the bottom with numbers below them. They had to search for Mickey head cards with math problems on them. Each math problem had a letter as the answer, so 4+3=D was one of them, for example. The letters spelled out "Disney World" and that was the big reveal.

So now we are going to Disneyland (CA) this summer, and I'd like to surprise them with another Family Fun Night reveal. Help! What should I do? Hit me with your best ideas!

How about a scavenger hunt? Here is a link to my idea for revealing in my PTR. I am using items that don't give away Disney but are related. Maybe you could come up with some of your own to fit your family.

Items: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=40328519&postcount=16

Clues, Locations, Tasks: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=40328519&postcount=16

Any other ideas for a 101 Dalmations night?

We had our first movie "Countdown to Disney" night and the kids had a blast!!! Thanks so much for all the ideas. :love:

Hot Dogs, Cookies and cream ice cream? Help!!! :)

I like the scavenger hunt idea. Maybe we will do that. Hmmmm... must keep thinking...

101 Dalmatians:

Dinner Ideas:
"Bones" hot dogs wrapped in breadstick dough
Chocolate chip pancakes (they have spots!!)
Hush Puppies
Use bone shaped cookie cutters to cut cheese or deli meat slices, or entire sandwiches
"Puppy Chow" Find the recipe on the box of Rice Chex: melt chocolate chips, mix with peanut butter and coat Rice Chex, coat with powdered sugar. Recipe also found here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Puppy-Chow/Detail.aspx

Activities:
Find the puppies! Print out clip art of the puppies and hide them around the house.
Do a doggy training course, pushing a ball around with your nose, jumping over obstacles, crawling through tunnels, etc.
Teach an old dog a new trick! Take turns pretending to be a dog, and have other family members teach you a trick! Perform your trick for the others.

I like the scavenger hunt idea. Maybe we will do that. Hmmmm... must keep thinking...

101 Dalmatians:

Dinner Ideas:
"Bones" hot dogs wrapped in breadstick dough
Chocolate chip pancakes (they have spots!!)
Hush Puppies
Use bone shaped cookie cutters to cut cheese or deli meat slices, or entire sandwiches
"Puppy Chow" Find the recipe on the box of Rice Chex: melt chocolate chips, mix with peanut butter and coat Rice Chex, coat with powdered sugar. Recipe also found here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Puppy-Chow/Detail.aspx

Thank you soooo much! Forgot all about "Puppy Chow" and that's one of my favorites.

Activities:
Find the puppies! Print out clip art of the puppies and hide them around the house.
Do a doggy training course, pushing a ball around with your nose, jumping over obstacles, crawling through tunnels, etc.
Teach an old dog a new trick! Take turns pretending to be a dog, and have other family members teach you a trick! Perform your trick for the others.

Thank you so much! Forgot all about "puppy chow" and that's one of my favorites. Chocolate Chip pancakes are one of their favs. Thanks again!

Tonight's movie night was Toy Story themed. :cool1:

Our menu was Pizza Planet inspired. Pizza, french fries, mozzarella sticks, onion rings and burger sliders. To wash all that down, we had "Refueling Fluid" in both cola and apple flavors.

Note the Army Men and Monkey's (you know, the ones from the barrel), sneaking in for a bite to eat?

This FANTASTIC rocket ship stand was inspired by a DIY tutorial I found on Catch My Party. Thanks Leslie I! The only changes I made were the use of tin foil rather than aluminum flashing and scrapbooking paper rather than colored Duct tape. I also added the Galactic Alliance and Space Ranger logos.

For dessert we made "Delicious Hot Schomes". Or in this case, cold s'more pops.

Put the marshmallow on a skewer (sharp point snipped off!). Carefully dunk it in melted milk chocolate, then into graham cracker crumbs. Then stand it up in a vase so the chocolate hardens a little. Or...

... just dive right in. :rotfl:

For movie snacks we had.... Alien cupcakes, Sheriff cookies, Jessie's hat cookies....

Chocolate coins, aka Pork Bellies. You know, money from inside Hamm? :thumbsup2

Toy Story fruit snacks and...

Al's Cheese Curls. :laughing:

The best part of the night was playing in our photo booth! I printed out "hats" from the movie and taped them to skewers (again, snip off the points!). They made perfect photo booth props!

It is *impossible* to get both kids to look at the camera at the same time. Seriously, impossible.

Such great ideas! I love looking at all the photos...you are all so creative!

Lisa, LOVE the Toy Story movie night. Did you design those food labels? Happen to have a download for them? Awesome ideas!!!

Love the Toy Story night! Very creative ideas!

We had Finding Nemo night tonight. Nothing too exciting, but the kids really enjoyed it! I had a Nemo fabric I had bought long ago that worked as a partial table cover. The kids gathered all of their ocean themed animals, both stuffed and other, and decorated the table while I made dinner. I'm a vegan now, so I made myself something different and forgot to take photos, but I had Shark Bait tacos (BBQ vegan shreds in a taco shell) and seaweed (spinach with margarine and vegan parmesan). The kids cut out the signs, so that's why some of them look a little rough. I like having them help, though.

Here is what the kids had:

Squirt's Sushi Rolls (avocado maki)
DSC_4883_edited-1.jpg

Octo-dogs and Anemone and Cheese
DSC_4884_edited-1.jpg

Ocean water
DSC_4886_edited-1.jpg

Guppy food; the sign says (popcorn, Kix cereal, Smart Puffs, and gummy sharks)
DSC_4890_edited-1.jpg

Tank Gang (Blue Jello with gummy fish)
DSC_4885_edited-1.jpg

We didn't have time to play "Find Nemo" but I might do that quickly before they go to bed. I'll hide a Nemo toy somewhere and let them take turns finding him.

Yesterday we had our Peter Pan theme day/night. I had to switch our dinner to lunch because of Christian's baseball game being switched around but it all worked out. Decor was mostly some Peter Pan toys and books of the kids along with a few printouts and Emily had fun placing some skull and crossbones cutouts on the walls all over the downstairs. The kids started off with watching the movie, movie snacks were popcorn and fairy wands (chocolate covered pretzel rods). I snuck out towards the end to get lunch ready which was french bread pirate ships and fruit kabob swords. After lunch the kids did some crafts, they painted treasure chests and colored swords. We then took a break and headed over to Christian's baseball game, I took along some Peter Pan coloring pages for them to do while there. After the game we came home, had crocodile cupcakes with cannonballs (chocolate ice cream balls covered in sprinkles or smashed oreo cookies) and we played the Peter Pan game I printed out from online.

017-8.jpg

Emily did a great job with the decorating;)
016-7.jpg

Don't laugh but I didn't realize that the napkins said Happy Birthday until Ben pointed it out!
014-5.jpg

013-10.jpg

Movie Snacks
005-8.jpg

006-10.jpg

Fruit kabob swords
015-9.jpg

Pirate Ships pizzas
019-6.jpg

021-5.jpg

022-5.jpg

024-3.jpg

025-5.jpg

Craft Time
027-5.jpg

028-9.jpg

pp4.jpg

Finished products
pp5.jpg

You have to use your imagination a bit, they are supposed to be crocodiles:lmao:
pp.jpg

Cannonballs
pp2.jpg

pp3.jpg

Dinner & a Movie Night
Twister
May 1, 2011

IMG_6380.jpg

Okay before everyone gets upset and tells me that Twister is not a movie night, I KNOW! But since we are going to Universal before WDW and Twister has an attraction that goes with the movie...need to prepare the kids for this part of the trip too so they can really enjoy and understand the attraction. Plus, with all the crazy weather and living in tornado alley ourselves it is always good to talk about tornado safety.

I love Twister...mainly because in the 90s I had a crush on Bill Paxton. I still think he his pretty cute...I know not the handsome leading role type but the average joe. I wonder what he has done lately and for the matter what happened to Helen Hunt? It took me a while to realize where the girlfriend in the movie (sorry forgot her name) was from...she was the lead in Jersey Girl.

There are scenes from the movie that were filmed in our general area. So that was cool to share with the kids. We see a lot of these crazy carvan strom chasers this time of year, although we have been real quiet with severe weather (and I like it that way, though we really need some rain).

Dinner: Twister Chili Cheese Fries (okay not very healthy, but fun and fast,,,used curly fries for the Twisters) and Tornado Cake (found the recipe...it is really called Tornado cake-basically a german chocolate upside down cake with the gooey frosting baked inside)

Twister Chili Cheese Fries

IMG_6379.jpg

Boo making the Tornado Cake

IMG_6374.jpg

Tornado Cake (a la mode)...it is even yummier than it looks!!!

IMG_6386.jpg

Activity: Played Twister

So far so good...everyone is still up....

IMG_6375.jpg

Yikes...Goo on the bottom of the pile!!

IMG_6377.jpg

Our next movie night was Indiana Jones. My son saw me digging out some items from our Halloween boxes to use and guessed which movie we were doing next. I didn't know too much about Indiana Jones so I decided to watch it first on my own to get ideas. Let me just say after watching it I DID NOT want to go forth with this movie night. I told my son I was thinking about skipping Indiana Jones, but he really wanted to see it. This movie was not what I was thinking it was going to be, so just a warning for others if you haven't watched it yet.

So I decided to go ahead with the movie night, but warned the kids we would be skipping parts I didn't think were appropriate for them. In the end, we ended up only watching the first half or so (skipping a few parts), but saw enough to get the gist of it and see the food that we used for our party.

IndianaJonesMovieNight-Xavier8Tasha5-April2011.jpg

I bought foam hats from the Dollar Tree and trimmed some of the brim off and added a brown ribbon. I made the whips from some leather cording I had and felt for the handles. I used brown felt and some ribbon to make them each a satchel. (I try not to purchase many things for the movie nights in order to not spend money and save for Disney. So I just have to improvise to create things like the whips and satchels.)
IndianaJonesMovieNight-Hat-April2011.jpg

Dinner: Eyeball Soup
IndianaJonesMovieNight-EyeballSoup-April2011.jpg

Snake Surprise (breadsticks)
IndianaJonesMovieNight-SnakeSurprise-April2011.jpg

Chilled Monkey Brains (Cherry Jello)
IndianaJonesMovieNight-ChilledMonkeyBrains-April2011.jpg

Beetle Bites (totally made these up as I went along with Swiss Cake Rolls, fortune cookies, chow mein noodles and chocolate almond bark)
IndianaJonesMovieNight-ChilledMonkeyBeetleBites-April2011.jpg

Poison (7-Up)
IndianaJonesMovieNight-Poison-April2011.jpg

Antidote (Blue 7-Up - kids loved pretending to need to quickly drink the antidote after finding out they drank poison)
IndianaJonesMovieNight-Antidote-April2011.jpg

IndianaJonesMovieNight-Xavier8Tasha5eating-April2011.jpg

Coloring Sheet-
IndianaJonesMovieNight-Xavier8coloringsheet-April2011.jpg

Hunt For The Sacred Stones - The kids received a hieroglyphic clue to decipher using their code sheets. After they deciphered a code it led them to another hieroglyphic. After deciphering all ten clues they found the Sacred Stones (which I made using extra large Easter eggs, multiple coats/colors of paints, and sealer).
IndianaJonesMovieNight-Xavier8Tasha5treasurehunt-April2011.jpg

Whip Challenge (I placed various creatures on our couch and had the kids try to whip them off.)
IndianaJonesMovieNight-Xavier8withwhip-April2011.jpg

IndianaJonesMovieNight-Tasha5withwhip-April2011.jpg

Also during the games I had the Indiana Jones Soundtrack playing which added to the atmosphere. I forgot to take a picture of the whole table set up, but it had bats, spiders, snakes, bones, hieroglyphics, skulls, etc... All in all it was a fun movie night, even if I didn't like the movie itself. My little girl asked if that was the guy who would be at the Disney World Indiana Jones show. :)

So glad you did an Indiana Jones night Kari! It's on my post trip theme night list and I'm glad you gave me some ideas to "steal"!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter