• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Positive thoughts and Prayers for the 4 year old who almost drowned

Along with most of you, I have prayed and prayed for this child and his family. I just don't understand how this could happen. I have sailed on all three ships except the Fantasy, and the pools are just filled with people at all times. I can't imagine how this child could slip under and no one notice. Can anyone tell me (without being mean or placing blame) how this could even be possible? It just breaks my heart for the family and everyone who had to witness this. I just continue to pray that Chase will improve and the his family will gain some peace.

Found this post in the guest book on the Caring Bridge:

Written 36 minutes ago by Elisha Bailez

Hello Lykken Family:

We were there with you on the boat. At the pool. My three kids were in the pool at the time, and I gave Chase his first CPR. I have been reading, sending and saying prayers, and just now ready to say that I was there. Yesterday after school, I sat down with my three little ones (same ages as yours) and explained what I did and we just now really talked about it. And that was VERY VERY HARD. I'm glad I did it but wanted to reach out to you to say, you too will eventually be able to discuss it with your kids. And I know at your home hospital you will get some help as a family with this. One more thing I wanted to share: My oldest son was VERY involved that dreadful day and was haunted emensely on the cruise. One thing I said to him really helped. I said, "Son, I want you take all your sadness, sorrow, anger, and worry and put it all on me. Mommy will wear it for you, I am strong and I will take it off you and put it on me". We cried together but he was so relieved with that simple jesture. I even put out my hands and said, "give it to me honey". He made a motion and put it in my hands and then I took what he gave me and put it in my heart with my hands. I said, "good, now do it again and over and over until you think I have it all". I'm just a Mom, who was there, able to respond. I am not trained in child grief, but this did help. Both of us. I loved being able to do it. I know he still suffered but it helped a little bit and that's all you can ask. We prayed as a family for Chase and every night since then. Me....every moment. I feel connected to you, Chase and your family from this and I know from reading this many others are also very deeply attached with love. So Lykken Family...."Jesus wants you take all your sadness, sorrow, grief, anger, horror and give it to him. He is strong and he can hold it for you. Reach out your hands and let Him carry it for you, that is why He came. For you, right now, for us all." God Bless you and all your Family. With all our Family's Love, The Bailez's from Atlanta

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Tears down my face. So nicely written. Feel for all involved.

Beautiful! How lucky for Chase that you were there. Your kids are very lucky to have such a very special mom.

Along with most of you, I have prayed and prayed for this child and his family. I just don't understand how this could happen. I have sailed on all three ships except the Fantasy, and the pools are just filled with people at all times. I can't imagine how this child could slip under and no one notice. Can anyone tell me (without being mean or placing blame) how this could even be possible? It just breaks my heart for the family and everyone who had to witness this. I just continue to pray that Chase will improve and the his family will gain some peace.

Hi, drowning is a silent killer. Drowning is not splashing, and yelling at all (it is NOT like the movies at all) People just go under silently. It sounds like the pool was so full that you can't see the bottom. I was a lifeguard and later swim instructor for 10years. Almost all drownings were silent ( a few were yellers as they just couldn't handle the wave pool)
But as a lifeguard you learn to scan the bottom of the pool, you don't look for screamers or splashers. Often kids slip under as if they were going to swim under water but in reality they can't stay above and no one notices they are not literally swimming or coming back up. And I know from a previous cruise you can not see the bottom of the pool at all. So scary!

Tears will not stop flowing after reading the first responder's words of wisdom to not only her children, but also Chase's family. Wow. That woman has touched more people than she could ever imagine. God bless her and everyone who has been forever impacted by such a tragic event.

Prayers for all!

(Thank you, Silverfox97 for sharing.)

Found this post in the guest book on the Caring Bridge:

Written 36 minutes ago by Elisha Bailez

Hello Lykken Family:

We were there with you on the boat. At the pool. My three kids were in the pool at the time, and I gave Chase his first CPR. I have been reading, sending and saying prayers, and just now ready to say that I was there. Yesterday after school, I sat down with my three little ones (same ages as yours) and explained what I did and we just now really talked about it. And that was VERY VERY HARD. I'm glad I did it but wanted to reach out to you to say, you too will eventually be able to discuss it with your kids. And I know at your home hospital you will get some help as a family with this. One more thing I wanted to share: My oldest son was VERY involved that dreadful day and was haunted emensely on the cruise. One thing I said to him really helped. I said, "Son, I want you take all your sadness, sorrow, anger, and worry and put it all on me. Mommy will wear it for you, I am strong and I will take it off you and put it on me". We cried together but he was so relieved with that simple jesture. I even put out my hands and said, "give it to me honey". He made a motion and put it in my hands and then I took what he gave me and put it in my heart with my hands. I said, "good, now do it again and over and over until you think I have it all". I'm just a Mom, who was there, able to respond. I am not trained in child grief, but this did help. Both of us. I loved being able to do it. I know he still suffered but it helped a little bit and that's all you can ask. We prayed as a family for Chase and every night since then. Me....every moment. I feel connected to you, Chase and your family from this and I know from reading this many others are also very deeply attached with love. So Lykken Family...."Jesus wants you take all your sadness, sorrow, grief, anger, horror and give it to him. He is strong and he can hold it for you. Reach out your hands and let Him carry it for you, that is why He came. For you, right now, for us all." God Bless you and all your Family. With all our Family's Love, The Bailez's from Atlanta

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thanks for sharing Emily :goodvibes

I had goosebumps while reading that. What an amazing woman and family and so fortunate to have been an angel that day. :lovestruc

I continue to pray for Chase and his family and I do believe in miracles and hope Chase can continue to improve and show us all!

Heather

chimpwars, thank you so much for educating me and possibly others. For the rest of my days, I'll be scanning the bottom.

I've been thinking about this too. There must have been some parents, anyone, who WAS watching their children and the pool. I haven't heard if he was clothed, or in a swimsuit, but I just don't understand how he could get in without anyone seeing anything.

Susiesark said:
I've been thinking about this too. There must have been some parents, anyone, who WAS watching their children and the pool. I haven't heard if he was clothed, or in a swimsuit, but I just don't understand how he could get in without anyone seeing anything.

I was saying this exact thing to my husband today. Even if his parents weren't around how is it that NO ONE saw him. Surely there were parents right there watching, maybe even in the pool. It is very scary to me. We leave on our first Disney cruise Tuesday and I have a son who will be 4 in June. Don't think we will be gettin in the pool, sounds way too crowded.

We leave on our first Disney cruise Tuesday and I have a son who will be 4 in June. Don't think we will be gettin in the pool, sounds way too crowded.
I'm sure you'lll be fine. There is a small play pool for the youngest children. And that happened at the peak of Spring Break, so I'm sure it was full capacity, whereas most families should be back at work and school so it shouldn't be as crowded.

Ksmith1 said:
I was saying this exact thing to my husband today. Even if his parents weren't around how is it that NO ONE saw him. Surely there were parents right there watching, maybe even in the pool. It is very scary to me. We leave on our first Disney cruise Tuesday and I have a son who will be 4 in June. Don't think we will be gettin in the pool, sounds way too crowded.

I was at the pool with him son at the time - he was in the pool and I was on the edge. Chase was in a swimsuit when he was pulled out. I do think that a fully clothed child who wandered into the water would have caught my eye. But a child in a swimsuit - just doesn't catch your attention, because there are tons of kids there, and there's no way to know what kid belongs to what parent.

But like someone else said earlier, there most likely wasn't anything to see. He could have looked like a child dipping under the water to swim, only he never resurfaced. Unless there was someone specifically watching him, I think no one would notice a thing. Between the crowdedness and the color of the pool itself (its dark blue I think?), you can't really see down in the water.

The following was posted yesterday on another Disney message board; it was written by a relative of the family and is in response to the negative remarks that were on the thread. They do also give thanks to those who have been supportive:

Shame on you....shame on all of you who have passed judgment on people you don't know, and a situation you were nowhere near. I am a relative of this family and until now, I thought people like you were not worth the time and effort to give a response. This was a terrible, tragic ACCIDENT, that is all. Sorry to disappoint you and give you nothing to gossip about to others. Chase's parents are two of the most God-loving, diligent parents I know, who are deeply involved in every aspect of their children's' lives. Do you understand that if they were doing the things you accuse them of, such as drinking and not being watchful, that the authorities would have acted on this? If all of you are such avid cruisers as you claim, you would certainly know that when a ship leaves port, there are thousands of people on the upper decks, swimming, drinking, tanning, and taking in the whole experience. Chase was a sweet and active little four-year old boy who slipped away from his parents and got lost in the crowd. They didn't just "suddenly become aware" that he was missing when he had been pulled from the pool. They didn't allow him to go into a pool without them. They didn't leave the two older siblings to watch him. The truth is that they had been searching for him that ENTIRE time he was missing!!! Can you imagine the panic and fear any parent would feel during that time? Another item to point out, Chase was believed to have been underwater for 10-15 minutes and not a single person, staff or guest, noticed. NOT ONE!!! Does this not clearly point out the large number of people and commotion in that area at the time of the accident?? Chase fought for his life and survived. He now has a long battle ahead of him with a grim outlook. People like you are not helping the cause. I believe in the power of voicing opinions and the internet. You are entitled to your "opinion" but just as human beings, I beg you to be responsible about the things you say. I pray to God that they never see the horrible things posted on this thread. For those of you who supported them this last week, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/so-sad.862525/page-4

I know that obviously everyone posting on the facebook and caring bridge page are not from DIS, but please do not go to those pages and post negativity and argue with each other. Regardless of what happened this child's family has enough to deal with without the drama and blaming! It comes back to the old tried and true adage of if you can't say anything nice please don't say anything.

Again that pit in my stomach feeling as I read those details and know the chaos and commotion. There are really no words that can express my empathy for his parents, siblings, and also fellow passengers who witnessed the incident or were simply on deck. It will take a lot of time for all involved to get to a point of healing.

I agree with only posting positive support after such a tragic accident. Disney was created with love and any parent who takes the effort to plan such a vacation does so with love. Let's respond accordingly.

My heart grieves for this family. Life is very fragile and so precious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter