• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Positive thoughts and Prayers for the 4 year old who almost drowned

"prayers are meaningless"? I'm sure you deserved to have your earlier post deleted by the Mods. I'm not sure you could be more insensitive to those of who do have a belief system founded in faith. We pray for the family because its something ACTIVE that we can do. You talk about "action" in your post and prayer IS action to me and millions of others. So in effect you're just telling the family to suck it up because prayer won't help? I hope both your post and this one are deleted as being useless.

I still believe in miracles and still believe that Chase the Warrior is going to come out of this regardless whatever is said....Just keep the faith and keep the prayers going for this family...
Always in my thoughts and always in my prayers...
In God's time and not ours :)
Much love goes with you chase and keeping a fighting trooper
Hugsssssssssssssss

"prayers are meaningless"? I'm sure you deserved to have your earlier post deleted by the Mods. I'm not sure you could be more insensitive to those of who do have a belief system founded in faith. We pray for the family because its something ACTIVE that we can do. You talk about "action" in your post and prayer IS action to me and millions of others. So in effect you're just telling the family to suck it up because prayer won't help? I hope both your post and this one are deleted as being useless.

you want respect for your views then you have to respect others. Not attack because you don't like them....:confused3

I don't think that my particular thoughts or attitude has any effect on this family's outcome. I do think that the discussion we are having can have positive impacts on our own lives and those around us, in terms of lessons that we can learn so that this does not happen to us or those around us.
I agree 100%. I hope that if nothing else good comes out of this situation maybe we'll all have a reminder to keep en eye on our children and each others children. It takes a village after all. :flower3:

I am following this thread and love the updates. I cry with some and smile with the hope that comes with some too.

Please lets keep on track and not start in on who is 'right' on how to send positive thoughts to the family. :flower3:

you want respect for your views then you have to respect others. Not attack because you don't like them....:confused3

I'm not the one asking for "respect for my views", I could careless what anyone thinks about my faith. I'm responding to the attack on those of us who want to be active in the way we know how.

I'll just jump in here with what *I* am thinking....

There is something positive that has come out of this tragedy and that is a change in my attitude. Both of our girls are skilled, strong swimmers. When we are at swimming pools at resorts, water parks, or public pools, my actions as a Mom have been a bit lax. I figure "they know how to swim, there are people everywhere, they will be FINE" and they are at an age when I don't feel like I need to watch them every minute. My DH on the other hand, is much more cautious and prefers to watch them more closely around water. And, if I was totally honest, I think I've given him and eye-roll or two when he has suggested we watch our girls closer. That has all changed. Because of precious Chase, I now KNOW what can happen. I will be watching our girls intently from here on out.

Like so many, I am SHOCKED there are no lifeguards. How can this be? I would think Disney would have an across the board policy on lifeguards. Some of the very best lifeguarding I have ever seen has been at the Contemporary Resort and at Disney's Grand Californian. At the Contemporary, those lifeguards were watching kiddos closer than hawks and one even went in after a little guy when he didn't like the way the child appeared after bobbing up after going down the slide. I even wrote a letter afterwards to the Contemporary's GM letting her know what a fine job her lifeguards are doing out at the pool. At the GCH, the lifeguards are constantly counting and watching and when they do a shift change they go through this pointing procedure of the kids in the water at the time so that they "transfer" the responsibility onto the new guard.

I realize not everyone is a praying person, but I am and have been praying for Chase and his family. I cannot even imagine how the joy of their family's cruise turned to tragedy and what they are going through now. :( It breaks my heart.

Hugs to all.

I haven't seen anyone pushing their personal religious views on anyone else. Many of us are believers and we have seen what the power of prayer can do. We are all free to believe, or not, and we are also free to just skim by comments we don't happen to agree with.

I pray for this little boy and his family. They need support to not feel alone and have the strength to care for their children.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Here's my thing- there have been numerous threads out there on what DCL should do, how people should watch their children at pools, swim safety, etc.

This thread was started to remove the controversy that comes with those topics and focus on praying, hoping, supporting in whatever way you chose for the family and the little boy. There are other threads to learn from, share opinions, judge, etc, but this thread was to focus not on an abstract idea but the fact that a tiny child's life has been changed forever.

We don't know if the parents or family are following this. The link was shared with them. They are real people and they are fighting every minute to get through the toughest thing that a parent can endure. You are entitled to differ in your opinion, but show some empathy and maybe move those opinions to the other 5 threads.

I am also using this as a life lesson, so hopefully I can learn and grow as a parent. My girls are also "strong swimmer" and I was very lax on our cruise less then a month ago. They went back and forth between the Mickey and Donald pool and I watched from a distance. I don't think I would do that now. We have a pool and I have turned away and done other things while they swim. That has changed. I will pay more attention. I am also signing up for a CPR/first aid class.

I also think that we as parents need to watch for others. Scan the pools, even if we see our child safely swimming, scan the bottom. Keep an eye out for everyone. If we all did this, we may be able to help and hopefully this tragic accident won't happen again.

Having a pool, I have learned that if a child is missing, the first place to look is the pool. I learned that years ago and it will always be my first stop.

I know that I can't say that this couldn't have happened to me, because I know that it could have easily been my child. And that is why this story has shaken me and I know that because of Chase my life has changed.

I'll just jump in here with what *I* am thinking....

There is something positive that has come out of this tragedy and that is a change in my attitude. Both of our girls are skilled, strong swimmers. When we are at swimming pools at resorts, water parks, or public pools, my actions as a Mom have been a bit lax. I figure "they know how to swim, there are people everywhere, they will be FINE" and they are at an age when I don't feel like I need to watch them every minute. My DH on the other hand, is much more cautious and prefers to watch them more closely around water. And, if I was totally honest, I think I've given him and eye-roll or two when he has suggested we watch our girls closer. That has all changed. Because of precious Chase, I now KNOW what can happen. I will be watching our girls intently from here on out.

I realize not everyone is a praying person, but I am and have been praying for Chase and his family. I cannot even imagine how the joy of their family's cruise turned to tragedy and what they are going through now. :( It breaks my heart.

Hugs to all.

Yes - us too. I was one who let DD roam around Deck 11 as long as she told me where she was going to. I prefer to sit in the shade. Usually we are right where the Mickey slide lets off just past the rope & we can see there, the hot tub & Mickey pool (although there is a row of chairs in front of us, I can pick out DD in her bright rash guard). She has to tell us if she's going to the Donald pool, Nemo's, etc. (No Aquaduck or lab without us); basically what area I can find her in and she is good about this. DH & I have already told her no more. She needs to be accompanied by a parent to go to the Donald pool. Period. She is 6 & can swim and I was not really concerned.

My how that has changed..........

I also think that we as parents need to watch for others. Scan the pools, even if we see our child safely swimming, scan the bottom. Keep an eye out for everyone. If we all did this, we may be able to help and hopefully this tragic accident won't happen again.

Having a pool, I have learned that if a child is missing, the first place to look is the pool. I learned that years ago and it will always be my first stop.

I know that I can't say that this couldn't have happened to me, because I know that it could have easily been my child. And that is why this story has shaken me and I know that because of Chase my life has changed.

This too. I will certainly be on the lookout for others in the pools. We too have a pool and a fence and an alarm on the lanai door. I was relieved once DD could swim and I didn't have to be as worried.

I have only had to do CPR in 2 codes at work. I always hope that I never ever have to use it. I too will be extra watchful at the pools. I certainly will not be parenting other kids, but you can bet I'll be especially watching some of the small ones!!

This thread is not about what is meaningless to any of US. I know that in times of distress, sadness and sorrow, it's nice to know that someone else is thinking about us in their own personal way, whether it is through prayer, a donation, sharing the story or maybe even doing something silly to make us smile. Kindness has many faces. I think about little Chase every day, and now that I know he has older siblings, I think about them too because they are young, and they probably don't fully understand what happened or what lies ahead. Please keep this in mind, it's not about any of us, this is about the Lykken family.

The title of this thread is "positive thoughts and prayers"... I continue to send mine to little Chase and his family.

Agreed that the pools are always the place that will draw kids but because of slides etc its next to impossible to see you child at all times in a place like that. On our trip The row of parents standing around the pool made it equally difficult to see and yet one had to do that to optimize viewing. Kind of reminded me of people standing around the luggage carousel. No one can get their suitcase off because there are too many people there. My DD got crowded between two adults in a hot tub who both turned their backs and thought they were against each others back. She slipped under them and If she were smaller couldn't have touched from the center and with the hot tub swirling no one would have seen her. We all need to watch out for the little ones.

Let's all agree to take what has been a horrific tragedy and heartache for this family and try to make some big positive change for the future and all the future little cruise swimmers and parents everywhere.

I am so hopeful that we can influence DCL to put lifeguards at the pools. Please include it on your surveys before you leave ship.

I am hopeful that many will read and learn how to recognize drowning individuals, and reach out to help others.

I am hopeful that parents will learn CPR so that we can help our loved ones and others when the need arises.

I am hopeful that we will as a community will learn to be more attentive near water and recognize how dangerous it can be.

Let's honor Chase by making positive changes in our lives.

Let's all agree to take what has been a horrific tragedy and heartache for this family and try to make some big positive change for the future and all the future little cruise swimmers and parents everywhere.

I am so hopeful that we can influence DCL to put lifeguards at the pools. Please include it on your surveys before you leave ship.

I am hopeful that many will read and learn how to recognize drowning individuals, and reach out to help others.

I am hopeful that parents will learn CPR so that we can help our loved ones and others when the need arises.

I am hopeful that we will as a community will learn to be more attentive near water and recognize how dangerous it can be.

Let's honor Chase by making positive changes in our lives.

Great points and great post! I am going to take a CPR class. This horrific accident definitely shows you never know when you might need it.

This little boy and his family have touched many hearts. They have so much strength and courage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter