Positive things about DVC!!!

A lot of the negative posts around here are exactly that - Disney is a business. They also come in a few other flavors - it isn't always as easy to book what you want when you want as the guides and advertising will have you believe and because where Disney doesn't make money, they seem to be fairly good fiscal stewards of our money - room refurbs happen less often on the timeshare side of the house. I think that really the three big negatives come down to those three points.

Each of those points is not a huge deal if you are aware of them. And if you aren't aware of them, you purchase and then show up here disappointed the the discounts aren't bigger, no free dining, aren't rewarded for loyalty. You can't get into BCV in Early December or get a BLT standard room at 7 months or book a cruise because the dates you want are booked up for points - although there is cash availability. The room isn't as nice as the cash side of the house, the carpet obviously had some little kid spill juice on it that stained, the bedroom drawer was off its rails and you don't get clean towels every day. But if you knew these things going in, none of them are a huge deal and all are acceptable, perhaps even preferable (maybe the drawer rails need to be fixed more often then they are - but a lot of people like limited housekeeping).

The fourth type of negative post is the financial aspects. When I first arrived here in 2002 to find anyone who advised financial caution was relatively rare - there were a few - Dean's advised it for longer than I've been here. To listen to the majority of people here, this was a sure thing investment - you'd sell it for more than you bought it for. You'd save money - absolutely everyone did. It was rare that anyone questioned using rack rate in calcuations - or said "would you have ever booked two bedrooms for your family of four without DVC?" It was the best thing anyone had ever done (it doesn't hit my own top ten - but we adopted a child, bought a house for my dying brother in law, and I spent a summer in Europe - each of which is more valuable to me than DVC).

In 2009 we started to hear the stories about how overextended people were. About being upside down in loans for DVC that they shouldn't have gotten in the first place because their pre-DVC financial life wasn't stable. People not only lost DVC with job losses, they lost homes. And a lot more people became a lot more cautious in recommending that someone they didn't know spend $10k or more on a timeshare. The conversations made a decided flip to "this may add value, but you may or may not save money."

This is a very good post about negative posts.......and it's not negative. :laughing:

Very thoughtful and informative. Thanks!

First off - Welcome Home!

Sorry if you read a negative post of mine that rattled you!

Great things about DVC:
3) If you decide to trade a week for something else in the RCI or II system - you will have no trouble getting an exchange because everyone wants a Disney Timeshare week.
5) You can stay at other resorts and enjoy a different Disney experience for the same or less points depending on where you decide to stay.

Just some comments on these two points (I agree with the others fully).

You really need to plan a long time out in order to get something you really want. Not everyone at the really nice resort you desire wants to stay at a Disney Timeshare. But you may find more lesser quality ones that people bought for $1. And we cannot trade into II at this time. Only RCI and only the RCI resorts selected by DVC.

Some stays may require more points than your home resort. And if you try to book outside of DVC, but still Disney, it will use a whole lot of points, many more than what you might use for a larger DVC villa. I own at OKW and would only book savanna view at AKV, but that requires more points than the same size villa at OKW. We used a lot more points to stay at BLT than the same sized villa at OKW.

Edited to add: I guess we won't be staying at GFV. The points required there are twice the points of OKW. TWICE as many. Ouch!!

Just some comments on these two points (I agree with the others fully).

You really need to plan a long time out in order to get something you really want. Not everyone at the really nice resort you desire wants to stay at a Disney Timeshare. But you may find more lesser quality ones that people bought for $1. And we cannot trade into II at this time. Only RCI and only the RCI resorts selected by DVC.

Some stays may require more points than your home resort. And if you try to book outside of DVC, but still Disney, it will use a whole lot of points, many more than what you might use for a larger DVC villa. I own at OKW and would only book savanna view at AKV, but that requires more points than the same size villa at OKW. We used a lot more points to stay at BLT than the same sized villa at OKW.

I stand corrected - I'm dating my membership by mentioning II - My bad.
at one point did DVC allow SFX and DAE or is that not allowed? Not sure as I never used them for an exchange.

Also Excellent point about the resorts that require more points...I was going for the glass half full version...:thumbsup2

But - the points you mention are valid and true!

Just read the rest of this thread, and I think a major problem is that just because it's Disney, some members think it's MORE than a timeshare. DVC is a timeshare. NOT a promotional tool. If you know what to expect from a timeshare, you won't expect Disney to give you extra perks. Just be happy with your TIMESHARE purchase.

The only real "perk" we ever use from Disney is the AP and PAP discounts. THAT is a perk that helps Disney keep their timeshare owners spending money AT Disney. So you see, it's not really a perk either...just a way to keep us happy enough to keep visiting the parks. Since most of us purchased a timeshare at Disney because of a love of all things Disney, it works to the benefit of both DVC owners and Disney.

Exactly! :worship: Disney holds up its end of the bargain by maintaining the property and making access to reserving it fair and convenient.

Congrats on joining! DH and I love DVC! We want to buy MORE haha! We have had trips that are just us in Disney World, we have gotten a 2-bdrm in California and had a mini family reunion with my family (that I don't get to see very often, since we are posted far from them), we did a 2-bdrm last Christmas with DH's parents (also in the military), and we did an anniversary trip to Hawaii!

We love Disney... the cleanliness, the friendly cast members, the fact that there is pretty much always something new to look forward to, and all of our old favorites. We love DVC... the big comfy rooms, especially when we have a kitchen, and sitting on the porch drinking coffee in the morning and watching the sun rise. We love that Disney is pretty universally loved in both of our families so we can plan exciting trips with the people we don't get to see as often. My best friend just had a baby and we are planning a trip with them in the next few years, so even if I'm not a part of my goddaughter's everyday life we can still make some great, unforgettable memories in Disney!

We see some people saying negative things, but we stay positive and consistently have great vacations with our DVC! I hope you end up loving it as much as we do!

Welcome Home. DH and I since 8/2004 at SSR and BLT 10/2008 founding members. Wait until you get add on Ittis :thumbsup2:cool1:

Welcome Home. DH and I since 8/2004 at SSR and BLT 10/2008 founding members. Wait until you get add on Ittis :thumbsup2:cool1:

Love DVC and wouldn't do Disney without it. We have been members off and on for 7 years and we only stay at DVC resorts can't beat the accommodations. Love all the resorts especially the pools. Can't really say anything bad about DVC love everything about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter