Positive things about DVC!!!

ggriffith639

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone we just joined DVC on the final night of our cruise. This was our 3rd cruise w/Disney in 3 years and we have sat thur the sales pitch every time. We have 3 children and would love to visit WDW. We are from CA so we have spent lots of time at Disneyland. We are super excited! We received $1,000 off purchase price and joined w/125 points AK. They gave us 2012 points/125 and also $3 per point. We are a military family retiring in 2 years in Alaska (currently in NJ) hoping to vacation in Hawaii a lot with the club!!! Please post some positive things about the club based on experience. I have been reading a lot of posts that are very negative and I hope we have made the right decision to join.

Welcome home!:cool1:

We love AKV as it is a very unique experience. If you plan to use your pts at different resorts, availability will vary depending on location and dates. Just plan ahead and book at earliest opportunity!

Initially, use at Aulani should be doable, but as the resort sells out, it may become more of a challenge to book at the 7 month window. You can always add on points there in the future if you find you need the 11 month booking window!

Welcome home!:cool1:

We love AKV as it is a very unique experience. If you plan to use your pts at different resorts, availability will vary depending on location and dates. Just plan ahead and book at earliest opportunity!

Initially, use at Aulani should be doable, but as the resort sells out, it may become more of a challenge to book at the 7 month window. You can always add on points there in the future if you find you need the 11 month booking window!

Thank you!!!!

You say you plan to use the points in Hawaii a lot, did you give any thought to making Aulani your home resort? There will likely come a time when it will be easier to get something at 7 months at AKV than at Aulani.

Welcome!!

We are currently at AKV. It's a beautiful resort and you will love it!

Sorry that you are nervous about the negative comments but try not to let that bother you.

One of the hardest things to convey to new owners who have never even been to WDW and don't know about DVC is the "home resort" and to buy where you want to stay. The point is that now you are an owner and you will figure it out. :) We certainly have enjoyed the learning process.

Congratulations!

Hello everyone we just joined DVC on the final night of our cruise. This was our 3rd cruise w/Disney in 3 years and we have sat thur the sales pitch every time. We have 3 children and would love to visit WDW. We are from CA so we have spent lots of time at Disneyland. We are super excited! We received $1,000 off purchase price and joined w/125 points AK. They gave us 2012 points/125 and also $3 per point. We are a military family retiring in 2 years in Alaska (currently in NJ) hoping to vacation in Hawaii a lot with the club!!! Please post some positive things about the club based on experience. I have been reading a lot of posts that are very negative and I hope we have made the right decision to join.

I don't know how to respond to this thread. I'm trying to be helpful but I have a feeling I might come across as insensitive. That's not the case, so I'll apologize in advance if it seems that way. Obviously there are lots of things that we love about owning DVC, and that is why we own. But I don't think that's the issue here. The reason there are negative posts on here is because there are some very real pitfalls when it comes to owning DVC.

It sounds like you're looking for someone to reassure you that you did the right thing, and I'm not so sure that's our place. DVC is a wonderful product that helps plenty of people have wonderful vacations. But it's not right for everybody. Quite frankly, there are three or four things you said in your post that make me think that DVC might not be right for you. In the end, however, only you can be the one to make that decision. But if you're coming on here looking for reassurance, that might be your gut trying to tell you something.

One thing that I will say is that by Florida law you have 10 days from contract signing to change your mind. If you are within that time frame maybe that is something you might want to consider.

Sorry if the messages lately appear a little feisty. I am guilty of some of that discussing resale vs. direct and how Disney might approach it going forward!

In the big picture, DVC has many, many happy owners. In fact, some of the happiest in the timeshare industry. Anytime you have 400,000 plus people in a system you will hear a diverse set of issues. Overall, DVC is a great timeshare for a large majority of owners.

Congrats & I hope you enjoy your upcoming vacations!

We just bought AKL too! We are super excited and can't wait for our first stay. BTW, we bought direct too, and I'm trying not to "feel bad" that we went that route instead of buying resell. But, we ran the numbers and feel even with the "full" price, we will come out ahead and that (along with lots of Disney time!) are what matter!

We just bought AKL too! We are super excited and can't wait for our first stay. BTW, we bought direct too, and I'm trying not to "feel bad" that we went that route instead of buying resell. But, we ran the numbers and feel even with the "full" price, we will come out ahead and that (along with lots of Disney time!) are what matter!

Awesome!!!! We are so excited to start planning for our first stay June 2014!!!! =)

Sorry if the messages lately appear a little feisty. I am guilty of some of that discussing resale vs. direct and how Disney might approach it going forward!

In the big picture, DVC has many, many happy owners. In fact, some of the happiest in the timeshare industry. Anytime you have 400,000 plus people in a system you will hear a diverse set of issues. Overall, DVC is a great timeshare for a large majority of owners.

Congrats & I hope you enjoy your upcoming vacations!

Thank you :) no need to apologize I just wanted to hear feedback from members who have had great experiences!! I am excited to start planning....I'm too excited to sleep lol

If you like WDW you'll love DVC. It's wonderful being able to pay a reasonable maintenance fee (MF) every year, knowing it entitles you to stay at one of WDW's awesome DVC resorts.

Animal Kingdom Villas (AKV) is a great resort, one of WDW's best. We love the number of different room options it offers, from Value all the way to Concierge. And we really enjoy it having two distinct buildings. the exciting Jambo House and the relaxing Kidani Village.

Hope you have many opportunities to vacation at Disney's beautiful Aulani DVC!

I don't know how to respond to this thread. I'm trying to be helpful but I have a feeling I might come across as insensitive. That's not the case, so I'll apologize in advance if it seems that way. Obviously there are lots of things that we love about owning DVC, and that is why we own. But I don't think that's the issue here. The reason there are negative posts on here is because there are some very real pitfalls when it comes to owning DVC.

It sounds like you're looking for someone to reassure you that you did the right thing, and I'm not so sure that's our place. DVC is a wonderful product that helps plenty of people have wonderful vacations. But it's not right for everybody. Quite frankly, there are three or four things you said in your post that make me think that DVC might not be right for you. In the end, however, only you can be the one to make that decision. But if you're coming on here looking for reassurance, that might be your gut trying to tell you something.

One thing that I will say is that by Florida law you have 10 days from contract signing to change your mind. If you are within that time frame maybe that is something you might want to consider.

I'm not looking for reassurance, but thank you. =) I was simply looking to hear other members speak about their "magical experiences". Just curious which 3 to 4 things did I say in my pervious post that makes "you" think the DVC is not for me?

If you like WDW you'll love DVC. It's wonderful being able to pay a reasonable maintenance fee (MF) every year, knowing it entitles you to stay at one of WDW's awesome DVC resorts.

Animal Kingdom Villas (AKV) is a great resort, one of WDW's best. We love the number of different room options it offers, from Value all the way to Concierge. And we really enjoy it having two distinct buildings. the exciting Jambo House and the relaxing Kidani Village.

Hope you have many opportunities to vacation at Disney's beautiful Aulani DVC!

Thank you! its great to hear feedback on AKV I am excited to start planning our next trip! (even though we just got home from our DCL vacation yesterday) We have only stayed at Port Orleans Riverside (mod) and All Star Music (value) so like you said I can't wait to take advantage of staying a AWESOME resort with out going bankrupt! ;)

ELMC said:

Dude...come on. Your first sentence should have told you to just not respond. This person came on here to get some positive comments...even said they already read a bunch of negative comments...and you still feel the need to drop a response like that? Geez.

To the OP...congrats and enjoy your membership. There are plenty of threads on here to help you learn everything you wanted to know about DVC...and even some things you didn't want to know. :)

Dude...come on. Your first sentence should have told you to just not respond. This person came on here to get some positive comments...even said they already read a bunch of negative comments...and you still feel the need to drop a response like that? Geez.

To the OP...congrats and enjoy your membership. There are plenty of threads on here to help you learn everything you wanted to know about DVC...and even some things you didn't want to know. :)

You're entitled to your opinion, but I stand by my comments. I don't think that there was anything wrong with my response. Some people on here choose to be cheerleaders, and that is fine. Personally I don't see the value in that. I have heard too many timeshare nightmare stories and I leave the Pixie Dust sprinkling to the "guides". The reason why the OP has read so many negative comments is because there are a lot of potential pitfalls to owning DVC. You think I'm doing a disservice by raining on her parade, and I think I'm doing her a disservice by blowing wind in her sails instead of sharing my honest opinion. If what I have to say can potentially save her (or another reader) from a potentially problematic situation then that is a good thing. And if she doesn't want to hear what I have to say, then she'll ignore me and enjoy all the well wishes from the other posters on this thread.

With regards to your well wishes, don't you think that someone should learn what there is to know about DVC before purchasing, and not after?

I purchased my points in 2011- I love it. There are some down sides of course, but that's true of any timeshare. We've been on a 7 day cruise, used the points to travel to London and France as well As DW & Aulani. Next year we are planning on going on the Costa Rica trip! Enjoy it!

I purchased my points in 2011- I love it. There are some down sides of course, but that's true of any timeshare. We've been on a 7 day cruise, used the points to travel to London and France as well As DW & Aulani. Next year we are planning on going on the Costa Rica trip! Enjoy it!

You mentioned that you are retiring in AK? I am active stationed in AK! Love that its a direct flight to Oahu! You are going to love that

The positive about owning a DVC interest is that in the long run you will save money on your room compared to booking the same room with the same frequency through Disney.

:earsboy: Bill

I'm not looking for reassurance, but thank you. =) I was simply looking to hear other members speak about their "magical experiences". Just curious which 3 to 4 things did I say in my pervious post that makes "you" think the DVC is not for me?

Well first off, you've got the right attitude. My opinions are just that...what I happen to think. It doesn't mean I'm right and it doesn't mean that what I have to say necessarily applies to you. And perhaps I misinterpreted your OP, but when I read...

Please post some positive things about the club based on experience. I have been reading a lot of posts that are very negative and I hope we have made the right decision to join.

...I interpreted this as seeking reassurance. Perhaps I was wrong.

To answer your question, there were definitely some red flags in your OP. First, you referred to your purchase as "joining the club" and not purchasing a timeshare. But that's what it is. The "magical experiences" you speak of are a function of Disney, and not DVC. DVC is a way of prepaying a portion of lodging expenses in the hopes of realizing a long term cost savings or increase in value for lodging dollars. A lot of times people who go into this thinking about clubs and magic and Pixie Dust often end up disappointed when the magic wears off and they find that all they really have is a timeshare.

Also, typically DVC works best for people who have a track record of visiting Disney World. From your post it sounds like you frequent Disneyland and have some desire to go to Aulani. I'm not so sure an AKV contract is the best way for you to achieve your objectives. Walt Disney World is a much different experience. What are you going to do with your contract if after a few trips to the World you realize that it's not for you? It happens more than you would think. Speaking of which, you have five members in your family which means that you will need a 1 BR. The contract you bought is only good for roughly 4 nights each year at AKV or roughly 3 nights each year at Aulani. Coming from Alaska, that seems like a very short trip, even if you banked and borrowed to use two years at once. Was your purchase based on the amount of points you think you would need to fit your vacation patterns, or based on the monthly payment you were comfortable with?

You mentioned that they "gave" you 2012 points. I'm guessing that your UY is June or later, am I right? If that's the case then they didn't "give" you anything, you are still in your 2012 use year and you are contractually owed those points. It's a little statement but it reflects a potential lack of understanding of how DVC works and what you are getting. Finally, you said "I hope we have made the right decision to join". If you're not sure, that's a problem. For the amount of money you are spending, you really need to know, especially when you consider that buying direct, you have no recourse to getting anywhere close to your money back should this not work out for you. I'm also guessing that you financed, but I could be wrong about that.

Listen, I'm not looking to belittle, offend or insult anybody. If you don't like what I have to say, please disregard it and move on, I wish you all the best. But if there's a chance that anything I have said here echoes anything you might have been thinking, then hopefully that helps, which is what I'm here to do. Like I said before, there are plenty of nice people on this thread spreading the well wishes and congratulations. There's enough feel good going around that you don't need more for me. In my opinion, they're doing you a disservice by telling you what you want to hear instead of giving you information. As we have seen in this thread, in their opinion I'm at best insensitive and at worst cruel. It's ok, it's a difference of opinion which is what makes these boards work. But a lot of the posters on this thread are new here, and they haven't seen the horror stories. This conversation that you and I are having has been had on here many times. Sometimes it plays out much like ours is. Other times it has caused people to reconsider and they have been thankful for avoiding what seemed like a great idea but actually would have been a mistake.

Only you know what is best for you and how much of what I say actually applies. Either way, I wish you all the best and hope that things work out well for you. I wouldn't mind being wrong on this one. :)

We bought two resorts AKV and VGC as they are the two resorts we really love and would b perfectly happy if we could not ever stay there so I am happy knowing we will always be able to book something we love at 11 months.

Sure we want to go to Aulani, we love BLT but if we couldn't go there the sky wouldn't fall in. We love owning DVC. My biggest fear was that I would regret spending so much on a luxury but I haven't and don't expect to

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter