Positive things about DVC!!!

ELMC said:
You're entitled to your opinion, but I stand by my comments. I don't think that there was anything wrong with my response. Some people on here choose to be cheerleaders, and that is fine. Personally I don't see the value in that. I have heard too many timeshare nightmare stories and I leave the Pixie Dust sprinkling to the "guides". The reason why the OP has read so many negative comments is because there are a lot of potential pitfalls to owning DVC. You think I'm doing a disservice by raining on her parade, and I think I'm doing her a disservice by blowing wind in her sails instead of sharing my honest opinion. If what I have to say can potentially save her (or another reader) from a potentially problematic situation then that is a good thing. And if she doesn't want to hear what I have to say, then she'll ignore me and enjoy all the well wishes from the other posters on this thread.

With regards to your well wishes, don't you think that someone should learn what there is to know about DVC before purchasing, and not after?

LOL. The OP didn't want to hear your negative comments. Specifically asked for positive ones....and yet you've hijacked this thread with ultra long posts pointing out potential issues. You seem to feel like it's your mission to educate people to the downside of DVC. Sometimes, and this is one case, people don't want to hear it. It's not like the OP is about to walk out in front of traffic. She just bought something. Leave it alone.

LOL. The OP didn't want to hear your negative comments. Specifically asked for positive ones....and yet you've hijacked this thread with ultra long posts pointing out potential issues. You seem to feel like it's your mission to educate people to the downside of DVC. Sometimes, and this is one case, people don't want to hear it. It's not like the OP is about to walk out in front of traffic. She just bought something. Leave it alone.

Try to remember that most of the negative posters ARE OWNERS.....multiple contract owners. If they didn't like/love their DVC they would get out.

Enough said.

And then came back and said that she wasn't looking for reassurance and asked what ELMC saw.

By the way OP, I saw the same things and a few more - you have VAKL points - its going to be hard to use those points at GCV - its a small resort that books up fast - often rooms are gone before non-owners even have a chance. Booking Aulani hasn't been a cakewalk for non-owners either. You won't be cruising with that small amount of points. Airfare from Alaska to MCO is going to be very expensive for a family of five - make sure that is in your budget.

On the other hand, our magical experiences - we don't have many points ourselves and go every other year. Its allowed us to spread out in a one or two bedroom, to bring friends and family. Having a kitchen and washer/dryer turns out to be wonderful - we return with clean laundry and have a filling breakfast in the room each day. I suppose that is rather prosaic for magical - scrambled eggs and clean laundry - but most of the "magic" happens for us because we spend time together as a family - and that happens with or without DVC - or even with or without Disney.

Thank you :)

And then came back and said that she wasn't looking for reassurance and asked what ELMC saw.

By the way OP, I saw the same things and a few more - you have VAKL points - its going to be hard to use those points at GCV - its a small resort that books up fast - often rooms are gone before non-owners even have a chance. Booking Aulani hasn't been a cakewalk for non-owners either. You won't be cruising with that small amount of points. Airfare from Alaska to MCO is going to be very expensive for a family of five - make sure that is in your budget.

On the other hand, our magical experiences - we don't have many points ourselves and go every other year. Its allowed us to spread out in a one or two bedroom, to bring friends and family. Having a kitchen and washer/dryer turns out to be wonderful - we return with clean laundry and have a filling breakfast in the room each day. I suppose that is rather prosaic for magical - scrambled eggs and clean laundry - but most of the "magic" happens for us because we spend time together as a family - and that happens with or without DVC - or even with or without Disney.

Thank you ;) we still have about two years left in NJ so I hope to get 1-2 trips in WDW before we leave. I don't expect to cruise on the points but I do look forward to the discounts associated with being a member. (10% off & member cruises) We have done a DCL cruise once a year for the past 3 years, so I am ready to move on to something new.
We always flew Alaska airlines their air miles and companion vouchers make "getting out" affordable for a family of 5.
Our plan is to figure out how the points work for us and if needed buy more or "borrow"

theguda said:

My responses are directed to the OP. If she has a problem with what I said she can tell me. If the mods have a problem with what I wrote I'm sure I'll hear about it. I'll thank you to not police my behavior on these boards.

You learn quite a bit once you've actually bought contracts and USED them. The people who have chimed in to give the OP a little bit of reality are owners (who do love owning DVC) but they're just trying to point things when when the OP still has the opportunity to do something about it.

Try to remember that most of the negative posters ARE OWNERS.....multiple contract owners. If they didn't like/love their DVC they would get out.

Enough said.

I'm definitely one of those owners. I love my DVC contracts and I love planning trips and daydreaming about future trips. But I was honest with myself about what I wanted from DVC. I knew I'd want to stay at BWV and BLT the most, so instead of buying cheaper points elsewhere, I bought at those two resorts.

The OP mentions that they bought AKV even though they will soon live of the West Coast and will want to use GCV and Aulani, two very difficult places to get at seven months. It would seem to make more sense, to me anyway, for OP to own at one of the West Coast resorts and use those points to get into AKV when they would like to visit WDW.

Being happy with your DVC purchase is all about being informed and making the best decision for your situation. If the OP had another reason for buying AKV, like wanting concierge or value villas, they didn't express it.

My responses are directed to the OP. If she has a problem with what I said she can tell me. If the mods have a problem with what I wrote I'm sure I'll hear about it. I'll thank you to not police my behavior on these boards.

I thought your reply was very thoughtful. We did a lot of reading and learning before we bought and still purchased direct as we bought VGC. Years ago there were very few resales and their prices were very similar to what we paid direct once you figured in the incentives. We didn't finance, so we purchased one day and sat down again with our guide the next day and he walked us through booking our first trip. At the time, it was a lot easier to get into VGC as it was before Cars Land opened. I'm stunned at how quickly it books up now and how little availability there is after the 7 month window opens. There is no down season there for DVC. Sometimes my feelings get a little hurt when I read the posts that imply that people are stupid for buying direct, but for our circumstances, it really was the only way to go.

That said, we were well aware of the resale market and had researched available contracts before buying direct. I don't think there is anything wrong with suggesting that buyers who still have the chance to back out do some quick research. In the end, it is their money and they will spend it how they wish. An educated consumer is a good thing.

OP, you are going to love AKV as well as Aulani. We booked Aulani for a very last minute getaway at the end of January. I found some last minute cheap airfares and three weeks later we were at Aulani. We had great thoughts of getting out and exploring, but ended up spending almost all of the 10 days we were there, right at the resort. (I did have to piece together our reservation on short notice and we moved rooms 3 times.) For relaxation, it can't be beat. AKV is actually our go to resort at WDW. I know others don't care for it because it is so far away from everything and the bus rides are longer. Again, different strokes for different folks.

I hope you don't take ELMC's comments as taking the wind out of your sails. He offers you some very sage advice that is something you may want to consider if you are still in your 10 day window. Keep the contract you have, drop it and buy a bigger contract on the resale market...either way, the choice is up to you and you alone. Only you know what will work for your family. (A funny aside, we bought at VGC because Disneyland was our primary Disney destination. We bought 320 points knowing that it is a point hog and we would need that many for our vacation needs. Now we are relocating to the east coast and WDW will be our destination. So much for planning ahead! The good news is that our points go much farther at AKV than they did at VGC.) Either way you go, Welcome Home!

Awesome! We were stationed at Ft. WW for 4 years, we are considering Anchorage for retirement.
Retired out of Elmendorf AFB there in Anchorage a decade ago. Loved it there, but had to move on at that time. Now, I can't afford to go back and live, at least not how I do now in southwest Virginia. Anchorage is a wonderful area, not as remote as Fairbanks, and with way better amenities. ;) Temp swings aren't common there as in F'banks. Only a handful of days in sub-zero temps (most in the teens and twenties during winter), and no blazingly hot days during the summer (75 was the highest during my four years there).

As for your original post, to be fair, you did seem to be fishing a little when you said "I hope. . ." However, the best post was crisi's. The magical times being together as a family will outweigh the occasional reality check. You may have a few more challenges given you will be living in AK, but with some planning and flexibility, you will be fine. Good luck! :thumbsup2

It's a dreary Sunday and I am still sitting here in my PJ's so I think I'll chime in with what the positives of owning DVC are to me.

We bought 200 OKW points in 2006 when we were living in NC and our 3 kids were in year round elementary school. We had 2 family WDW trips under our belt and knew we'd be going at least once a year (in September during the kids' intersession...and maybe other times thrown in too). We could have continued renting a room in the moderate resorts (that sleep 5 to a room), but that was expensive and we could just be paying annual dues and get a villa for similar or less $$$. The villas have a washer and dryer...jetted tub...separate sleeping areas for parents and kids...a full kitchen (though we only use it for drinks/coffee/quick breakfasts). Honestly, we would not do WDW as much if we were all 5 crammed in a regular room (and we just could not fathom paying for 2 regular rooms).

We moved to MD in 2007 and considered selling our DVC since we wouldn't be able to drive to WDW as easily as we could from NC. MIL and FIL paid us to use 1/2 of our OKW points and they love to go in January and stay in a 1BR at OKW (HH section). So, for a few years we did less WDW/DVC trips than we originally planned and we drove when we did go. Recently, we started to do more DVC (adding a biennial inlaw family Xmas trip) and we can afford to fly now (though it is getting crazy expensive). So, we needed more points and added on (at HH and AKV). We like to get APs and do 2 trips with them and then skip the next year, but go to a DVC beach place instead. This year is a PAP year with 2 family trips (including the biennial Xmas trip) and a quickie sans kiddo trip for F&W...next year is a HHI year (last year was Vero Beach).

So owning DVC is about 2 things:
1- we get villas with W/D, jet tub and master bedroom.
2- we get family trips with Grands, Aunts/Uncles, cousins (SIL owns DVC too)

We also love Disney...rides, food, FL sun/weather and...magic (which includes staying on property, eating on property, coming in on the ME and not having to deal with luggage until it shows up in your villa...etc).

First of all, congratulations!

For us, the pixie dust part of buying DVC is that it makes us willing to take more elaborate vacations. We live in California and before this purchase, made trips to Disneyland about every three months. Trips, that though wonderful, were focused on saving money (staying off site, eating breakfast in the hotel room, etc...) We would occasionally make a 'big' vacation to either WDW or Disneyland (staying on site) as our income increased over time.

It was our second trip to WDW (in 07') when we went through the DVC spiel. Quite frankly it was the offer of a twenty dollar gift card for each member of our family that made us go through the sales pitch. We left without purchasing and sat on the idea for an entire year. We ended up purchasing 280 direct points at AKL paid in full.

In six years of membership, the trips using points we have taken are:
-three 7-9 night trips to WDW; staying at Vero Beach, VWL,OKW and AKL
-a 7 night stay at VGC
-an RCI exchange to 7 night stay in Kauai, Hawaii in an ocean view condo that slept 5 easily; best use of points yet since it only cost us 160 points!)
-a 7 night Mexican Riviera cruise on the Wonder
- and booked currently a 7 night cruise to the Western Caribbean on the
Fantasy

Each trip has been over the top for us. We never would have treated ourselves so well without this timeshare and therefore we are very thankful that we made this purchase. And here is the but. WE also would have never spent so much money on vacations because even though each of these vacations were 'paid' for by points, we obviously still have to pay for food, tickets, and airfare. We used to be more conservative with money and DVC has made us spring a leak in our VERY conservative money plans. In addition, when we bought DVC, we were a four person family (thinking we would stay that way) but in 09' got the most wonderful surprise of our lives and welcomed a 3rd child.

OP: I read in your post that you can afford to fly your family to vacations. If I am reading that correctly, DVC will be a fine purchase for you because for those of us living on the West Coast, that is a huge financial commitment to using this timeshare.

Be aware that you will probably fall in love with it and find yourself planning for vacations continuously. We are "always' out of points since we find ourselves 'borrowing' and rarely banking points.

I have no regrets that I bought direct since we could afford it and it allows us the flexibility that DVC is currently allowing us to use our membership for (cruises, RCI, etc...) But, for us we don't spend our time crunching our numbers on on the 'value' of it. If you are a number cruncher, please read ELMC posts carefully because his ideas and opinions are spot on. If and when we buy more points, I would like to find a small resale contract at VGC. This way, my family can easily enjoy the resort that is closest to us (by 500 miles) and still have direct points to 'play' with.

We purchased AKV points direct in 2007.

Oops!! Hit send before finishing the message! This was our first contract and at the time required a 160 point minimum purchase. I'm still working with 160 a year and like a PP stated... Always borrowing never banking!

I have so enjoyed DVC!! Can't put a price on the wonderful vacations we've had at WDW!

The one thing I've learned about DVC is the home resort privilege. I love AKV but have also had good success trading at the 7 month window... But not always. :) Any future add on contracts will be at the resort I plan on staying at.

Best of luck and Welcome Home!! :)

Hello everyone we just joined DVC on the final night of our cruise. This was our 3rd cruise w/Disney in 3 years and we have sat thur the sales pitch every time. We have 3 children and would love to visit WDW. We are from CA so we have spent lots of time at Disneyland. We are super excited! We received $1,000 off purchase price and joined w/125 points AK. They gave us 2012 points/125 and also $3 per point. We are a military family retiring in 2 years in Alaska (currently in NJ) hoping to vacation in Hawaii a lot with the club!!! Please post some positive things about the club based on experience. I have been reading a lot of posts that are very negative and I hope we have made the right decision to join.

I think what you are experiencing is nothing more complicated than buyer's remorse, which accompanies almost any significant purchase by anyone, ever. And buying even a modest number of DVC points is a significant purchase. Think about why you purchased in the first place, and whether any of these posts you have read actually nullify those reasons. Are there factual things that you misunderstood when you purchased, or is this just various opinions that are by definition based on someone's own personal experiences and taste? If your understanding of the costs and benefits of DVC were accurate, and your reasons for purchasing still hold, then just enjoy. Think of the greatest resort you've ever stayed at or restaurant where you've eaten, then go look up reviews on the internet and I guarantee you will be able to find plenty of negative comments and reviews. Tastes and experiences differ. All that matters to you is whether it makes sense for your own situation.

Oops!! Hit send before finishing the message! This was our first contract and at the time required a 160 point minimum purchase. I'm still working with 160 a year and like a PP stated... Always borrowing never banking!

I have so enjoyed DVC!! Can't put a price on the wonderful vacations we've had at WDW!

The one thing I've learned about DVC is the home resort privilege. I love AKV but have also had good success trading at the 7 month window... But not always. :) Any future add on contracts will be at the resort I plan on staying at.

Best of luck and Welcome Home!! :)

Thank you I am super excited! Like I said we have never been to WDW, so I can't wait!!! We sent my daughter last summer for 1 week she stayed with her Gf from Alaska at DWL and she loved every minute of it!!!! I have a feeling we will be borrowing more then banking as well but if that's what it takes to make the stay that much better well then it is what it is. We were told that we could always add on more points. Is it more complicated then it sounds?

I think what you are experiencing is nothing more complicated than buyer's remorse, which accompanies almost any significant purchase by anyone, ever. And buying even a modest number of DVC points is a significant purchase. Think about why you purchased in the first place, and whether any of these posts you have read actually nullify those reasons. Are there factual things that you misunderstood when you purchased, or is this just various opinions that are by definition based on someone's own personal experiences and taste? If your understanding of the costs and benefits of DVC were accurate, and your reasons for purchasing still hold, then just enjoy. Think of the greatest resort you've ever stayed at or restaurant where you've eaten, then go look up reviews on the internet and I guarantee you will be able to find plenty of negative comments and reviews. Tastes and experiences differ. All that matters to you is whether it makes sense for your own situation.

You are right :) I need to stop reading the reviews lol

Thank you I am super excited! Like I said we have never been to WDW, so I can't wait!!! We sent my daughter last summer for 1 week she stayed with her Gf from Alaska at DWL and she loved every minute of it!!!! I have a feeling we will be borrowing more then banking as well but if that's what it takes to make the stay that much better well then it is what it is. We were told that we could always add on more points. Is it more complicated then it sounds?

Adding on is the same process as an original purchase, either direct or resale. You just need to ensure same use year and "title" the same to combine all contracts into one membership account.

We have added on several times direct and resale and haven't encountered any problems! We love our DVC!

My "I'm being baited" flag is up. Is there a smilie for that?:rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter