Port Orleans Riverside FAQ thread --- 2012, Part Three --- NOW FULL / CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,
I am Corrine and I am a POR newbie. I stayed at POFQ in March and loved it but I save more money switching to POR for or May trip. Plus I was able to upgrad to a Royal Guest Room which will be a suprise to my 7 year old DD.

I do have a question for all you POR experts. My eldest son has Cystic Fibrosis, so it is my hope to be as close to the main building or bus stop as possible so he doesn't over exert himself (he tends to get tierd quicker and that can cause illness). I need to call Disney to let them know of certain request due to his medical needs. What would you think would be best? We are booked in a Royal Guest Room with a standard view. Thank you very much.

I do have a question for all you POR experts. My eldest son has Cystic Fibrosis, so it is my hope to be as close to the main building or bus stop as possible so he doesn't over exert himself (he tends to get tierd quicker and that can cause illness). I need to call Disney to let them know of certain request due to his medical needs. What would you think would be best? We are booked in a Royal Guest Room with a standard view. Thank you very much.

Unfortunately, the Standard Royal Guest Rooms tend to be some of the furthest away from the main building and main bus stop (although you might be closer for the East bus stop, but even that is not necessarily true).

I would suggest you contact WDW's Special Assistance line on 1-407-939-7807 and discuss your needs and ask them to arrange the most suitable room for you. You might even end up getting a category upgrade to improve the location of your room, you never know.

Andre

Does anybody know what kind of activities does the resort have this coming week (movies? Smores?) We're arriving in the afternoon on Tuesday, and don't have a park day planned the first day.

I don't have the January details up yet, but I would expect them to be very similar to December's, or last January's, both of which you can find at www.portorleans.org/recreation-activites-schedule.php. There may be some extra activities on Monday night for New Year, but otherwise it'll be the regular schedule.

Andre

5mouseketeersforus said:
So jealous.......especially with the snow we have had to shovel the last few days! We are just a little north of you, eh :)

yes Hi neighbor!! I am sick of this snow already. Been watching the weather for WDW. Should be pretty warm. I just hope our flight gets out on time.

Staying at POR for a couple nights the end of Feb. switched from RGR to standard room (wasnt sure 10 yr old boy would like theme). Can't wait to stay here. Requested Magnolia Bend.
We bought mardi Gras decorations for NYE party ordered a balloon with confetti gonna put a note in to reveal trip to kids at midnight.

Wanted to request a ground floor room but now too nervous to do so after reading the snakes thread. Anyone have some insight?

Also on another note. Does anyone have a listing of RGR GV? Also which ones are connecting if possible. We are traveling with grandparents who would like to be able to put the girls to bed one or two nights so DH and I can do something. They don't transfer so we would like to try for connecting rooms (yes I know it is just a request) so they can be in their room but can keep the door open to watch them.

vicky33006 said:
OK...my first question...

We are staying in a standard room. I definitely prefer the Magnolia section to the Alligator Bayou section. I'm wondering which buildings I should request in order to be closest to the food court? The Oak building only has Royal Rooms correct? I'm just looking for the best place to request as far as walking distance to the food court.

In the mansions, you will be closest to the food court in a riverview room. You will be farthest in a standard view room, but the walk is only about five to six minutes in Acadian House. My new favorite since Oak Manor went to RR's.

Also on another note. Does anyone have a listing of RGR GV? Also which ones are connecting if possible. We are traveling with grandparents who would like to be able to put the girls to bed one or two nights so DH and I can do something. They don't transfer so we would like to try for connecting rooms (yes I know it is just a request) so they can be in their room but can keep the door open to watch them.

Very interested in any responses! We're doing the same thing at the end of January! Taking my parents for their 40th Anniversary, and celebrating our DD 5th birthday! Am hoping for adjoining rooms too :)

Very interested in any responses! We're doing the same thing at the end of January! Taking my parents for their 40th Anniversary, and celebrating our DD 5th birthday! Am hoping for adjoining rooms too :)

About 50% of all the rooms at the resort are connecting, so you stand a pretty good chance if you put in a request in advance and are not too picky about other specific location requests (the more things you ask for, the harder it might become to find two connecting rooms at the same time). Remember to ask for connecting rooms rather than just adjoining by the way. It might also help to follow up your request with a polite faxed reminder about 3-5 days before you arrive.

Andre

Hello All!! Staying at POR in one of the Royal rooms Jan 25-27th with my mom and two teenage boys (they're not too thrilled about this visit but my mom wants them there, LOL) . This is our gift to her for Christmas. She has never stayed at POR before and is really excited! :cool1: Anyone have any comments on the royal room? Thanks!!

Hi there! We're staying in a Royal Room in April, and could someone who's been there recently tell me what toiletries are provided? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Walked back there tonight and the numbers on your picture do match up. Your AWSOME for doing this, will help with room request.

Thanks for the quick reply. I think my basic layout is correct, but of course you're there and I'm not. I've been cross-referencing several sources including my own photos, the resort handout maps, and satellite images (plus a PDF document I received a while back, but which sadly seems somewhat inaccurate in a number of places).

Here's a satellite view of the building, which does seem to match with what I had worked out, and my revised plan based on your message:

building28sat.jpg

building28numb.png

As you can see, all of your supplied numbers fit in perfectly with the standard "counter-clockwise" numbering system of Alligator Bayou, with the one exception of the room we called 'C', which I think should be 2832 not 2831. Does that now fit with what you see on the ground?

Thanks again for the help, and sorry if you got wet in the process! (No prizes for guessing what my Xmas break project has been by the way ;) )

Andre

Hello!

Wow, I read the whole thread. You guys kept making it longer while I was reading, though! :goodvibes

I recently picked POR as a place for a very short stay because it matched a price level I wanted to meet (free nights through hotels.com), and now I'm seriously wishing we had more time. We have it booked Feb 5-7. We are coming in just after midnight on the 6th, taking ME over, and at some point in the morning on the 7th, going off to Port Canaveral. So we have ONE day, basically, to explore!

We had originally thought we'd go over to Epcot for food and snacks (we love the treats at Kringla), but now we're switching the treats out for beignets, and I'm insisting we just explore. This place looks cool!

We had visited POFQ for food (beignets, LOL), but for some reason I really hadn't looked at Riverside before. But the pictures on Andre's site are amazing! And the info provided is really good. And now it makes me understand that this is still New Orleans, just not the French Quarter. And hey, I love the Garden District of NO, so it works! :)

ETA, I read just a bit more about the story behind the place, and I see that it's not necessarily based on that area, but I still see it like that! :)

Since I did read through the whole thread over the last few days, I had thoughts about what others had to say! :)

Coming from earthquake country, we never put anything above our beds, so seeing a TV (of all things) over a sleeping area makes me nervous.

I can totally understand where you're coming from! This whole big skinny TV thing just freaks my Californian soul out. How do they stand up? And how can you ever trust your wall and studs and the metal of the screws and the brackets *enough*? It's not like WA is immune to earthquakes either, so I'm right there with you! :)

In my signature area, bottom right, there is a link to a basic fax layout. Then use the number posted above this post to send it. If you want more reassurance PM me and Ill tell you something that can help.

Wow, that's really cool, what you do for people!

Your call went to a Central Call Center, which diverts calls to the appropriate place - you never speak to the front desk.

I think that this info is the first info anyone should be told about any WDW resort. I think we should bring stickers that say "out of state call center" and put them on the "Front Desk" buttons. (just place them there, no defacing or sticking, LOL) OK I don't really think we should do that, but I do wish they were more honest.

Especially when it's a need where time is of the essence, I think they should tell callers that it might take less time if they just physically go to the front desk.

So, I called the front desk and spoke with the manager on duty.

That is just awful, what happened to you! What a terrible Housekeeper!

But, just like with all WDW resorts, *calling* the front desk doesn't get you the front desk. The way they do that puts delays, and space for miscommunication and misunderstanding, and the definite possibility that the *urgency* of the matter will get lost. If they had told you that, or told you to call Housekeeping (I think I'm remembering that the resorts have a button that gets you there directly), things could have been taken care of much more directly, and they might have actually made a difference.

No, that's not really why it works at all (although I'm sure the tips here help). It's mostly because the room assignment manager at POR is very conscious that these seemingly little things can really make a guest's visit so much more magical, and he tries to help out wherever possible. In fact he told me he enjoys reading guest faxes and adding that bit of extra magic to people's stays.

I know he and his team actually go to a lot of effort - even without people sending in faxes - and they run daily reports on the computer to try to catch linked bookings, check for recurring surnames, look for requests, and even pick up sequential bookings (such as one night before and then a block during free dining, for example) to try to keep guests in the same room, etc.

But I agree that not all resorts are always quite so good at this.

Andre

Wow.

I had been thinking that we would leave it up to fate, but given that we are coming in SO late we have to make sure they know we are, indeed, going to be there... And I was looking at the jogging path, where one of the runs could start (and end) right at the end of the Parterre building. (oh, we have a Royal Riverview room booked...important info here, LOL), so maybe that would be a good spot to request.

I'll have to think about it more! It sounds like the staff LIKES doing that for the guests...I'd hate to deprive them of their fun. :goodvibes

First time ever we are taking 2 days down and two days back, health sorta demands it but what a fun thing for us. We usually get in the car and go until we arrive in Orlando around noon the next day after 16 hours on the road. Guess we are getting old for sure. :sad2:

FWIW, I was "over" the drive-straight-through thing by the time I was 25, single with no kids! And that wasn't even with Disney at the end, but just driving from WA to the Bay Area. You went a lot longer than I did! :)

I mentioned that the 3 younger kiddos (see sig) will get a little button since it is their 1st visit. The older 2 are feeling left out of the magic of that :(. They have been before but they were both so young that they don't really remember anything - unless we show them the pics as proof LOL

Yes, they are older but at 9 & 11: they are still just kids.

What does the DIS say??

There is absolutely no problem or issue or anything with the idea of the older kids getting First Visit buttons on this trip, too. They are different people than they were back then (I assume at least 6 years ago?), they didn't get the buttons back then, their lives and family have changed, and their minds do not remember the trip! IN effect, it IS their first trip.

And as long as you don't mind repeating that in a few years when you go on your *next* trip with the littles (since they might not remember this one...though the 6 year old probably will), I see no problem with getting them First Visit buttons as well.

ETA: i just don't want them to feel left out. Is this a "suck it up buttercup" situation??

Not at all. There are so many other places in life where they will have the dubious pleasure of sucking it up. No need to make THIS one of them.

This is a Disneyland story, but the concept of the buttons is the same on both coasts...we were in line for Peter Pan for the first time as adults and as a family. We had been to Disneyland twice before as adults and with our son, but hadn't ridden Peter Pan (that line gets long!). The CM noticed our excitement and asked if it was our first time; we said it was our first time on the ride, and he gave us First Visit buttons. We tried to give them back, but he said that it was OK!

The CMs are fine with it. There's no need for anyone to explain anything when CMs comment on it being the "first" visit...in a LARGE way, it IS. With time and three more kids (I'm so jealous), everything in your universe has changed, and it WILL be a brand new experience, almost as though it's your first time there. :goodvibes

Or if the older kids just want excitement, I *think* they are still giving "I'm Celebrating" buttons, and you can bring a Sharpie and write "bringing my siblings" or something like that.

Could you also mention that it's still bringing up the old site for me? I'm UK based, but I still see old site even when I bypass their STUPID automatic divert to the UK site. (If I'd wanted to see the British site, I would have typed ".co.uk" not ".com" in the first place ... grrr!!! Or at the very least offer the divert as an option, which is what the serious online companies like Amazon do, and then allow that choice to be sticky via cookies)

On the other hand I guess it is quite reassuring to still be able to read about what fun I'm going to have when I check in at the Colonel's Cotton Mill building... ;) (and after ten years I do wish that was now just a joke, but it really does still say that).

Andre

Wow! It still has old info (I assume that's from Dixie Landings?) there?

Ha...I tried to go to disneyworld.co.uk, and it let me, which was fun. But now it won't let me go back to .com! :rotfl: Seems to work both ways. Although that seems to show that it IS cookie-based, but I didn't want to clear cookies and lose all of the multi-quotes I'd made over the last few days, so I don't know. I hope I can get back to .com some day.

I've since read through this entire thread and am thrilled we are staying at POR. I don't think I could've picked a better place if I'd tried!

...(DH found another position mid-March that he loves and with a raise - what a difference a year makes!).

Thanks to everyone on this thread for the wealth of information!

Congrats on DH getting the new job and more money! Whew!

And I agree with the first and last things I quoted from you there. I had my own *other* reasons for booking POR, and now part of me is already planning a return trip.

i have another question! i find that they keep popping up now that disney is only 34 days away!! so i know now that i can charge restaurant tips to my room, but at the end of the trip, can i pay off my room charges with cash? i don't know if that is a stupid question or not, but i think it would be best to just pay it in cash instead of charge it and then have to pay the bill a month later! thanks :)

It's fine, as far as I know. But you need to go the night *before* checkout to do this, or they will just charge the CC you put down in order to create your room charge account (trust me on this...even 6am is too late). If you just don't want to carry cash around, another idea would be to buy a Disney Gift Card with the cash, and use that. It is totally OK to use giftcards for tips.

I'm so excited about our stay, and excited that I read the whole thread!

After over 6 months of plans and revisions, and after reading hundreds of DIS threads:surfweb:, I just booked our 20th Anniversary trip today at POR for 10/21-10/27!:banana:

We will also be celebrating my birthday while on this trip! :cake:

We are planning to spend a lot of time at the F&WF and to take in MNSSHP. I just can’t wait to see Disneyworld all decorated for Fall !!! All four of our previous trips have been in the spring so this will be very different for us!!!

Initially we were going to stay at the Wilderness Lodge because we have this idea that we should stay somewhere new on every trip AND it has always been my DH’s favorite resort to visit for dining/sightseeing. However, we decided that because we both loved POR when we stayed here briefly in 2010, we would stay here instead again for many reasons (those reasons include saving $1000, proximity of POR to Epcot, the new themed rooms, and we know it is a nice resort from our previous trip). I booked the Royal Suite (Garden View) room, so it will be “kind of” like staying somewhere different for us anyway. Last time we were in Alligator Bayou Bldg 17 with a parking lot view and never even made it over to the mansions! Despite our lack of view, we liked the room a lot and LOVED the resort overall. And the fact is, I LOVE Disney princesses, especially Tiana, Rapunzel, and Jasmine so the theme of the Royal Rooms really appeals to me! My DH loves Aladdin and enjoyed The Princess and the Frog movie, so I think he will enjoy the rooms as well!:genie:

Reading these threads took forever but I am so grateful to Andre, Venom, and others for all the information. I am going to continue to visit them often! By the time our Disney trip arrives 9 months from now, I know I will be very well informed about the POR!!!

For those of you going soon, "Have a wonderful trip!" :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter