Port Orleans Riverside FAQ thread --- 2012, Part Three --- NOW FULL / CLOSED

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by andrewilley, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JessiMommy

JessiMommy DIS Veteran

Can't believe after almost a year of anticipation we will be arriving tomorrow and then checking in at POR on Sunday morning!!! So excited!!!!!! Thanks to Andre and everyone here for your fabulous tips, advice, and trip reports that have made me more and more excited every day!! :cool1: :wave2:

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. kileybeth

kileybeth DIS Veteran

Ok so I will freely admit part of a great stay for me is the nice room and good housekeeping. . I am a bit worried after reading this. and other reviews. This is actually our 3rd trip back to POR and a last ditch effort to make me like it. Having a 7 year old girl who loves her Princesses I was thinking the "new Royal Rooms" might do it :upsidedow oh my

We love the compact feeling of POR-FQ ( that rehab is gorgeous) and are frankly scared silly of all the walking at CSR and CRB so where to Go? We really disliked the values ( to many people, too much noise, no slides, no shade at bus stops, insane CS areas) and altho we really have enjoyed our few times at deluxe resorts we just can't justify the cost right now nor do we want to make our trips less frequently.

So I guess I am asking how can I get over this crazy fear that is building? FQ is kind of boring for my little ones thus the change. AB looks a bit nicer since rehab but we were in bldg 14 before and it was about as far into the bayou as I could take! Mansions once before with no kids before rehab with a king bed and corner room and that was good so I just think I'm being silly and should stop reading all these reviews!

sorry for the rant and thanks for letting me post and I am ready to put on my flame retardant suit now, fire away.
    29 days and counting.

4. kris4360

kris4360 DIS Veteran

It's a tradition for us to take the boat to DTD and eat at T-Rex our first day. Love it!

5. portocall

portocall <font color=royalblue>I'm gonna try the water and

You seem intent on FQ, which might be part of the problem as the resorts are so different, yet similar. When we did POR in 09, mousekeeping was excellent. I had to stop reading reviews just because some people just look like they are happiest when they complain, some are genuine in that they don't like to complain but there really were some serious problems and without knowing the reviewer irl I find it hard to tell the difference between the two online. While I am inclined to believe the reviewer you quoted on the condition of the royal room she had, I also know someone very recently back who said her room was still like new. I think if you go with having a good time top on your mind and not wishing you were at another resort you probably will have a good time.

6. Venomhatch

Venomhatch Cast Member, DisDads #708,

Nice... Would that be saying the grass is greener at another resort lol.

7. MARAJIM

MARAJIM Earning My Ears

Andre, thanks for a great thread!

My husband checks in on Thursday the 15th and the boys and I get there on Friday. I have booked a standard room at POR and have requested Magnolia or any of the mansions. (Really, really want the mansions!) I called and confirmed that request was on my reservation. Do you think it is necessary to confirm again my request via faxing, etc. or is this enough?

If when the DH gets there and if we do not have a mansion, what is the likelihood of him waiting it out and getting one?

Did I mention that I really want a mansion room :goodvibes ?!

P.S. I didn't do on-line check in, should I? Somebody should do a study of the overall percentages of getting requests via on-line check in versus the old way! :thumbsup2

8. RubySlippers

RubySlippers DIS Veteran

We are traveling with a 13 year old and a 2 year old and have booked a preferred room. I have requested a banquette bed but I know that it is not guaranteed...keeping our fingers crossed! pixiedust:

9. andrewilley

andrewilley Port Orleans Guru

First, online checkin makes no difference in terms of whether you get requests met or not. It just gives them an idea of when you are arriving really, and allows them to have your welcome pack ready for you. You can still ask for a room change if you're not happy, but that might take a little longer of course.

Second, yes I would suggest faxing too. "Calling the resort" just gets you through to an off-site WDW call center, where they can only check what's showing on your computer reservation. If you fax 3-5 days out, your fax goes directly to the room assignment team at the resort who can block out a room for you if applicable. The only downside of that is that the room needs to actually be available when you arrive, which might not be the case if you arrive at 10am and the previous occupants have only just left. They generally prefer to leave all of the more open requests (e.g. simple AB vs. the mansions preferences) until your arrival time, so it's more likely they can find you a suitable room from the 'Ready' pool on the day (so you don't have to wait).

Andre

10. bartleyosu

bartleyosu Ohio State Mouse Fan

Hey, if anyone goes to the new wine lounge in Italy, Tutto Gusto?, can you let me know how it is? We love Italy's wine and I really want to go there. Only 10 more days!!!:santa:

11. EpcotBill

EpcotBill DIS Veteran

A new thread in the Restaurant forum would probably get a much larger audience.

12. Clamesa

Clamesa Mouseketeer

Thanks Andre for this great thread and the web site. I cannot believe that after almost 2 year of lurking finally I will see the resort by myself. :cool1:

Thanks to Venon for his helpulfs comments and "inside information.:thumbsup2

Two nights more and we will be having a great time, because we are sure it will be fun. !!

13. Scott MC

Scott MC DIS Veteran

I'm going to ask a silly question here.....
    Is there any chance of getting turndown service at POR? My last 4 trips to WDW have all been at deluxe resorts (several CL stays), and one of my favorite aspects of these resorts was coming back to the room freshened up and the bed turned down. Is there any chance of this happening at POR?

Thanks!

14. MARAJIM

MARAJIM Earning My Ears

Thanks for the response. So does anyone have a standard fax sheet request? Lay it on thick or just be very specific.

My DH doesn't land until 3:35 at MCO so after ME he will be getting there at later than the "regular" check in time. Unfortunately, Thursday afternoon is an odd time to check in! So maybe on-line is the way to go???

15. Gorechick

Gorechick DIS Veteran

In response to the posts about RR's looking worn already, one thing I noticed and felt upon staying in our Royal room in August was that it looked as if they rushed to get these rooms finished. One of the leaves on the lights above the sinks was pushed upward, there was an open gap between the moulding and wall in the bathroom, a hole in some grout, and the lightswitch plates were really away from the walls with a visible gap in between. I was overall happy with the room, but it left the impression that they didn't take their time to finish it right.

16. Venomhatch

Venomhatch Cast Member, DisDads #708,

Yeah no problem I love to help. Have a magical vacation!!!

17. andrewilley

andrewilley Port Orleans Guru

Well for the price difference between a moderate and a deluxe for a couple of weeks, I could maybe fly over from the UK and turn down your sheets each night for you?

(Well you did say you were going to ask a silly question :) )

Andre

18. Sue M

Sue M DIS Veteran

:lmao: meee too!

19. Sue M

Sue M DIS Veteran

Great pic! :thumbsup2

20. luvlife

luvlife Mouseketeer

I was just wondering what building you were in? We are going in late January RGR, garden view. I was considering requesting a room close to bridge. Thinking that maybe I should request something farther out instead. I would think the closer rooms are just so much more popular.

21. canadiankitten

canadiankitten First Timer!!!

Hi All!
    Just a question, DH and I have requested a Garden View room in the Mansions section, when I called Disney reservations to confirm everything (I'm a bit type A) The woman on the telephone told me that there are no garden view rooms in the mansion section, and that we would more than likely be placed in the AB section of the resort. Can anyone verify for me if this is true or false? We are going from Dec 3-10

We would ideally prefer to be in the Mansions section rather than AB, as this is our 5th anniversary trip, and they looked a little more "romantic" than the AB section.

I appreciate all of your thoughts and advice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.